• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GiantBomb Quick Look Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
grandjedi6 said:
Its not. They finally switched from pre-loading (ala youtube) to streaming (like the rest of the internet). Hence the ability to skip forward and why people can't download videos anymore. It sucks for people who have absurdly slow connections or want to download videos but it was inevitable.

It sucks for everyone because streaming depends on having a consistently reliable connection and no one has that. I assumed everyone was like me and clicked play then pause then did something else until the entire video had loaded before watching. Now it could just crap out at any time and there's nothing you can do about it.

Edgeward

I was wondering why I didn't see the grey parts in the loading bar. =(

Now watching vids on high quality are a crapshoot. Ugh.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
panda21 said:
so glad i didnt buy that game, even with the hot ferret action.

Eh, I was actually pleasantly surprised by what was shown - the gameplay did seem to have some variety to it. The story, universe, and dialogue, however, not so much.

Anyway, awesome quick look for Crystal Beeaaars. Especially the "If that's all it took to fix that clock, then...then this town is doomed, basically." That's definitely a paraphrase because I don't remember the exact quote detail for detail.

Haunted

EmCeeGramr said:
what

megaton if true. at times watching gb videos on a wireless connection meant finicky connections or accidentally closing the tab, and if you've watched about 3/4 of the video then it's absolute murder. some of the longer endurance run videos nearly killed me.
Next up: HD quality options instead of the 1999 shit they've got going on right now.

edit: wait what they've switched from pre-loading to streaming? nooooo! now we'll never get acceptable image quality. :(

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Hooray for streamng! Sooo much better. Nothing worse than accidentally closing the tab and having to download the whole thing again just to continue from where you were. Especially with download caps these days.

grandjedi6 said:
Its not. They finally switched from pre-loading (ala youtube) to streaming (like the rest of the internet). Hence the ability to skip forward and why people can't download videos anymore. It sucks for people who have absurdly slow connections or want to download videos but it was inevitable.

You can skip ahead on YouTube videos though. I don't see how we can't have the best of both worlds.

I will say though, assuming it doesn't have to buffer every five second (my internet is pretty shitty) I'll be glad of the ability to skip around videos.

Tamanon

Banned
The Final Fantasy QL was hysterical, although it made the game look pretty annoying to play. But then again, I'm not a big Wii fan to begin with, so the motion controls aren't my bag.

BobJustBob said:
It sucks for everyone because streaming depends on having a consistently reliable connection and no one has that. I assumed everyone was like me and clicked play then pause then did something else until the entire video had loaded before watching. Now it could just crap out at any time and there's nothing you can do about it.

This is basically my boat. I've been having some really bad internet quality issues recently and trying to get it sorted out with my ISP has been slow going.

I basically cannot watch video on GiantBomb now. Ever. At all. I get about 45 seconds into one before it starts buffering. Pausing every 45 seconds to buffer the next 45 seconds of video is probably the worst thing on all of the internet and I don't really understand why streaming is inherently better than preloading. I doubt it's more bandwidth efficient on their end.

I mean, with the Endurance Run videos, I would actually download the FLV, convert it to an AVI, and then watch it on my Xbox on a TV while I did other shit around the house. Being able to download the FLV is what gave birth to The Best of the Endurance Run series of videos.

It sucks real bad. Videos were basically the "go-to" section on GiantBomb for me and now I'm hosed.

panda21

are they ok with downloading?

i have vague memories of them saying about people using scripts trying to download the entire site and requesting that people not do that, but i could be getting my streams crossed.

i just guessed the url to download the darksiders FLV but its boned after 20 minutes :(

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
panda21 said:
are they ok with downloading?

i have vague memories of them saying about people using scripts trying to download the entire site and requesting that people not do that, but i could be getting my streams crossed.

i just guessed the url to download the darksiders FLV but its boned after 20 minutes :(
Any statement in the past couldn't have been about the videos, because downloading is exactly what the flashplayer did.

People like myself just downloaded the videos and viewed them in a different videoplayer than the embedded one. For example on my machine, the flash player will use 80% cpu compared to 10% in VLC with the same file.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The video is still buffering. Start playing a video, then pause it, and then take a look at your bandwidth usage: The video is still being downloaded, it's just not showing that to you on the player.

Too bad the player has a bug and the video ends (even tho you're paused) when it reaches the end, showing you the "duder it's over" screen.. :lol

panda21

bandresen said:
Any statement in the past couldn't have been about the videos, because downloading is exactly what the flashplayer did.

People like myself just downloaded the videos and viewed them in a different videoplayer than the embedded one. For example on my machine, the flash player will use 80% cpu compared to 10% in VLC with the same file.

i meant people using scripts/voodoo to batch download every single video on the site in one go.

Dynoro

panda21 said:
i meant people using scripts/voodoo to batch download every single video on the site in one go.
I would guess they are very much against that as it would be a tremendous bandwidth cost that they would have to cover. Its also not really in the spirit of the site to go around downloading everything to view later; as I see giantbomb as more an on-use type website - not save and use later

OMG Aero

Man I hate the new changes to the video streaming. I just started watching the Endurance run and I would let a video buffer while I browse the internet, then buffer the next video while I was watching the previous one.
Now even if I pause the video at the start for the same amount of time it took to buffer before, the video will still randomly stop in the middle to load and do this over and over again.

Xater

OMG Aero said:
Man I hate the new changes to the video streaming. I just started watching the Endurance run and I would let a video buffer while I browse the internet, then buffer the next video while I was watching the previous one.
Now even if I pause the video at the start for the same amount of time it took to buffer before, the video will still randomly stop in the middle to load and do this over and over again.

Yep. The streaming is not good. Also peferred the previous way.

Darklord

Banned
I hated the other way because I couldn't jump. Download something like flashgot and just download the vids until they fix all the kinks.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Hope nobody is turned off of Darksiders because of the Quick Look. Not exactly a good place to show off the game, they weren't even in the first dungeon yet.

Dizzy-4U

ZealousD said:
Hope nobody is turned off of Darksiders because of the Quick Look. Not exactly a good place to show off the game, they weren't even in the first dungeon yet.
I was watching Jeff's live stream yesterday and he told Ryan that he got the boomerang and definitely feels more like Zelda now and that he wants to continue playing some more.

I hate the new streaming. It loads like crap and is very jittery on my 3mb connection. Looks like I will have to figure out how to DL the shows.

Yeah I'm not lliking the new video setup at all. The buffering thing is just annoying (my internet maxes out at about 2mb on a good day) I never really had any trouble with the old style and if I did I could just leave it to load for a while.

I can't even skip around the Darksiders video and it random stopped a while before the end so I can't finish it, really lame.

Tamanon

Banned
Wow, that's a pretty crappy video to show off Darksiders. Looks promising at first, but then it had to be the part with the four challenges.:lol

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
The streaming isn't doing too good by me. :\ It jutters quite often and sometimes I have to pause it to let it load a little and then it seemed to cut off prematurely on the darksiders quicklook and I couldn't go back in the time-line without reloading and streaming it again.

;_;

edit: ya, Darksiders looked rather boring in that video. First I've seen on it outside of the ridiculous character design. Apparently it's more Zelda like than that video lets on, but I'm not really sure that sounds appealing either. This is one of them $10 impulse buys for me.

MMaRsu

Banned
Tamanon said:
Wow, that's a pretty crappy video to show off Darksiders. Looks promising at first, but then it had to be the part with the four challenges.:lol

Yeah, really bad part indeed, they should have shown off the on rails shooting segment ala Panzer Dragoon and then part of the first dungeon.. this isn't going to sway people in the right direction at ALL.

Brobzoid said:
The streaming isn't doing too good by me. :\ It jutters quite often and sometimes I have to pause it to let it load a little and then it seemed to cut off prematurely on the darksiders quicklook and I couldn't go back in the time-line without reloading and streaming it again.

;_;

edit: ya, Darksiders looked rather boring in that video. First I've seen on it outside of the ridiculous character design. Apparently it's more Zelda like than that video lets on, but I'm not really sure that sounds appealing either. This is one of them $10 impulse buys for me.

See? The quicklook is truly terrible in showing off the game.

Here is a part showing off the first dungeon in the game. Much MUCH better :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nulf6LAclzA

Fast forward to 05:00 though.

Yep this new streaming can sod off - just realised that had I been at work and not ill at home today I couldn't have pre-loaded a video ready for lunch, something I have to do as the net at work becomes utter crap at lunchtime.

The old videos always maxed me out whilst they downloaded as well, this seems all over the place now.

As an aside: Is that the Crackdown announcer in this Crystal Chronicles quick look?

Fake Edit: Ok, someone has a fix (mid-way down the linked page) and it seems Dave is reading the threads on the GB forums for feedback so we'll see how it progresses:

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/bug-reporting/33/streaming-videos/381860/?page=2

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
MMaRsu said:
Yeah, really bad part indeed, they should have shown off the on rails shooting segment ala Panzer Dragoon and then part of the first dungeon.. this isn't going to sway people in the right direction at ALL.

See? The quicklook is truly terrible in showing off the game.

Here is a part showing off the first dungeon in the game. Much MUCH better :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nulf6LAclzA

Fast forward to 05:00 though.

It isn't Giant Bomb's responsibility to "sway people in the right direction." They aren't working marketing for Darksiders.

The fact that there is an absolutely terrible part of the game for a few hours before you get to the fun is actually pretty damned important in the decision making process.

MMaRsu

Banned
Archaix said:
It isn't Giant Bomb's responsibility to "sway people in the right direction." They aren't working marketing for Darksiders.

The fact that there is an absolutely terrible part of the game for a few hours before you get to the fun is actually pretty damned important in the decision making process.

Well to be honest I quite liked all the parts leading up to the first dungeon, and ofcourse it isn't their responsibility to sway people in the right direction, however, if you are going to show off a pretty much tutorial like section, why even bother? It's not indicative of what you are mostly going to be doing later in the game.

Sure the game is combat heavy, but that's all they showed in this QL. It's like showing a QL of Zelda and only doing the town parts you know what I mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom