• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GiantBomb Quick Look Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Archaix said:
The fact that there is an absolutely terrible part of the game for a few hours before you get to the fun is actually pretty damned important in the decision making process.

But that's not the information you get here. All you see is this rather middling part. It's not representative of the final game. A little bit of this and a little bit of the dungeon would be more appropriate. Imagine if Giant Bomb did a Quick Look and all they showed was the first part of the game in that little town. Yes, the section is there and yes it's mediocre, but it's not representative of the full product. All I'm saying is that people shouldn't judge the game based solely off of this Quick Look.

Cday

Banned
Didn't have any problem with it except halfway through it would constantly pop up "loading" and play in slow mo for a few seconds. Then it would play normally the rest of the way.

Railer

Xater said:
It's actually Metal Slug but bad.

I've played through almost all Metal Slug games, but the first feeling i got was Shadow Complex, with the graphics and shooting enemies that were in the background.

It's still seems bad however :p

webrunner

The game is getting a lot of 'shadow complex' comparisons but really, it's nothing like shadow complex other than the fact you can shoot into the background (although it handles it a bit better: you press a button to do it instead of it automatically doing it when you dont want to)

Shadow Complex was Super Metroid, this game is a lot more like Metal Slug and Contra.

Also, as a note, there are some better levels later on, particularly the
TF2/Mario fusion
and the
Mirror's Edge
levels. The
Portal
stage is well designed but really doesn't capture the theme as well as the other ones.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
ZealousD said:
But that's not the information you get here. All you see is this rather middling part. It's not representative of the final game. A little bit of this and a little bit of the dungeon would be more appropriate. Imagine if Giant Bomb did a Quick Look and all they showed was the first part of the game in that little town. Yes, the section is there and yes it's mediocre, but it's not representative of the full product. All I'm saying is that people shouldn't judge the game based solely off of this Quick Look.

You should never judge a game solely off a Quick Look, but I've read impressions that say people have spent hours before the first dungeon. Whether it was here or somewhere else I'm not certain, but I even read one from somebody that said he played for six hours before reaching the first dungeon. I'm sure that's excessive and probably the result of a decent amount of screwing around/taking it slowly, but it's there. The part they played is in the final product, just because it changes later in the game doesn't mean you don't have to suffer through the nonsense that they showed in the Quick Look.

Hell, I'd be a lot more disappointed with a Quick Look if they jumped in halfway through the game and showed something that is absolutely not representative of what you'll see when you sit down and play the game. "I like the game so they shouldn't show the bad parts" is ludicrous, especially when a Quick Look is done well before they finish playing the game. Jeff was playing through these parts for the first time, how were they to know that it didn't get good within the next few minutes?

meanwhile in an alternate dimension, the "persona 4 quick look," a 20-minute stint of talking to people and "you went to school today," convinces hundreds of giant bomb viewers (as seen by the 30 or so comments) that it was just another lame jrpg. atlus cries forever and closes down and makes jack frost-themed minigame collections for the rest of their lives.

Oli

MNC said:
So GAF, recommend me some funny Quick Looks :D I could use a laugh

The funniest one imo is the mutliplayer beta QL for Uncharted 2. Towards the end Vinny loses it, it's hysterical.

Can you view quicklooks with any smart phones (besides the iPhone using the app which obviously works?)

No internet at my new apartment and I'm thinking of going without it and just upgrading my old cellphone since (love the neogaf webapp on my touch !!)

that said if nothing on tmobile let's me view giantbomb videos I will have to get real Internet - life with out giantbomb is not living at all!!! Also, could I get internet on my touch by running it through a phone like I heard the pspgo can do?

Dipper145

Ugh. Where did the ability to click through the videos go?

Oh it's coming back next week. I guess it was causing problems. Whew.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Dizzy-4U said:
It doesn't work anymore since they updated the website. At least for me.

Speaking of which, is there any 100% sure way program to d/l the flash videos?
The Firefox's extension doesn't work, site like keepvid only work on a handful of site etc..

55701190-f8f31b0b05ad454a20fb624b62a33645.4b46cd6d-full.jpg

Ardorx

Banned
The Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers quick look was great. I lost it when he got an achievement for "My first nut".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom