• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GiantBomb Quick Look Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
voodoopanda said:
I don't plan on playing Dante's Inferno but you guys are really underrating how much fun Hell can be.

I have a hard time tolerating deliberate ugliness as it is, but games based purely around it? I can see why the kids would dig it, I guess. And KZ2 never seemed to get slammed for it, so hey.

My favorite part of the Dante's Inferno Quick Look is that Charon is a big angry boat for some reason... and then you murder him just because.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I AM JOHN! said:
My favorite part of the Dante's Inferno Quick Look is that Charon is a big angry boat for some reason... and then you murder him just because.
That's pretty much why I want to play it, to see all the crazy shit you do. I love that kind of stuff. Scythe babies, etc.

Myomoto

I really like how they're openly offended by the unbaptised scythehand babies.
But to be honest, I feel like Dante's Inferno would've done a lot better as some kind of adventure game rather than an action game. The real main character of the game seems to be the environments and mythical beings of hell.

Myomoto said:
I really like who they're openly offended by the unbaptised scythehand babies.
But to be honest, I feel like Dante's Inferno would've done a lot better as some kind of adventure game rather than an action game. The real main character of the game seems to be the environments and mythical beings of hell.

Even the damned creatures feel like reskinned GOW creatures, though. But I guess if they dropped the focus on making God of War: War in Hell, the rest would follow.

AltogetherAndrews said:
People have bled for the argument of Art vs Design, and here you bastards combine the two as if it's nothing. God damn it.

On topic, I think that's part of what repels me from the game, the hell thing. It makes me wonder if the whole thing is going to be one god awful never ending dungeon of deliberate ugliness. KZ2 fell on this, and I expect the same here.

What the hell is it suppose to look like.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
AltogetherAndrews said:
I have a hard time tolerating deliberate ugliness as it is, but games based purely around it? I can see why the kids would dig it, I guess. And KZ2 never seemed to get slammed for it, so hey.

Of course it doesn't get slammed. Killzone 2 looks fantastic in part because of it's uncompromising take on a barely inhabitable, war torn planet. Dante's Inferno looks Hellish because it's in Hell. The "ugliness" makes the games no less impressive or imaginative.

AltogetherAndrews said:
I'm not suggesting it should look otherwise, I'm saying that what is there is unappealing. But as I also said, I can see why the kids would like it.

It's using the same level design as Gow. Long vistas, huge set pieces, and environments that are constantly shifting. I think Visceral games achieved what they needed to, create a game that appeals to the god of war audience.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
It's using the same level design as Gow. Long vistas, huge set pieces, and environments that are constantly shifting. I think Visceral games achieved what they needed to, create a game that appeals to the god of war audience.

I have yet to see a single object or environment of beauty in this game, and the environments do not seem to feature much escape from the This is Hell atmosphere, with the few deviations from the norm being the extra-squirmy and the extra-out there deliberate ugliness. Understandable as it is set in literal hell, but it's unappealing and uninteresting.

Nert

I absolutely love Giantbomb's quicklooks; they're both hilarious and a fun way to check out a strange side of gaming that I'd otherwise never see or play (like "Fast Food Panic" and "Story Hour Adventures").

SuperSpy

Banned
Nert said:
I absolutely love Giantbomb's quicklooks; they're both hilarious and a fun way to check out a strange side of gaming that I'd otherwise never see or play (like "Fast Food Panic" and "Story Hour Adventures").

agreed, giantbomb rocks!!! Wonderful site :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the Dante's QL was interesting. definitely going to rent it to see just how far they go with the premises.

ArjanN

I AM JOHN! said:

They could have just made him look like this:
074075.png

Weenerz

Banned
Holy shit the Quick Look for Dante's Inferno made the game look even better.

Demon baby things
were kind of surprising, figured the ratings board would have an issue.

Overall, I don't any regrets about reserving my copy.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Weenerz said:
Holy shit the Quick Look for Dante's Inferno made the game look even better.

Demon baby things
were kind of surprising, figured the ratings board would have an issue.

Overall, I don't any regrets about reserving my copy.
demon babies are Visceral Games' trademark enemy.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
What the hell is it suppose to look like.

Brutal Legend has a few good examples of freaky dark environments that don't look like the sets of a bad scifi movie.

That's part of what I dislike about Dante's Inferno. The whole thing just has that aggressive aggro shitty metal high school kid who loves Mortal Kombat aesthetic up the wazoo. Instead of tempering it with classic mythology like GoW does, it Dooms it up with a heapin' helping of heavy handed hell. Somehow I doubt hell looks so....conventional.

Alphahawk

LCfiner said:
Jeff also bought DJ Hero twice. The second version being the 200 dollar renegade edition, of course.

And Ryan sure does change the vibe of the STO videos. :lol In episode 7, it was hilarious as he’s urging Brad to leave the station at the beginning

"BOOOOUUUUNCE!!!!!"

Heh I remember when he was talking about buying that on the podcast

Girl: Isn't their a cheaper version you can buy
Jeff: Yeah but I already own it :lol

The best part of him buying the lifetime patch is the long protruding newspost where he justifies the purchase.

Ten-Song

Alphahawk said:
The best part of him buying the lifetime patch is the long protruding newspost where he justifies the purchase.

I love how he ends that news post as well. :lol

"Dear Star Trek Online,

Please be good."

Denzar

Rez said:
the Dante's QL was interesting. definitely going to rent it to see just how far they go with the premises.

Yeah, it looks really creative. Great design and art-style. That QL did good things for that game.

Darklord

Banned
OMG Aero said:

Jeff is awesome but he really is an idiot when it comes to buying things. He'll buy anything for insane amounts of money, regrets it, then does it all over again. He never plays his PSP but buys a Go!. He buys a DSi and regrets it. He buys DJ hero twice(for some plastic stand I think?). He's bought new SKU's of PS3's and 360's even when his worked perfectly fine. Honestly, I think he'd pay $600 for a Collectors Edition of something if all it had was a cloth map.

He justified buying that so he doesn't feel forced to play. Won't he feel forced to play for 16 months now?:lol

Massa

Does anyone have problems with the controls not auto-hiding in Giantbomb's video player? It's driving me crazy. :lol

Using Google Chrome on a Mac here.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Massa said:
Does anyone have problems with the controls not auto-hiding in Giantbomb's video player? It's driving me crazy. :lol

Yep same here on firefox also, wish they would sort that out.

Aaron

Massa said:

If you're full screen, bring your mouse icon to the very edge of the screen.

stupei

I think Justin from Joystiq actually expressed my feelings toward Dante's Inferno best when he said of the demo that when a game has that much blatant contempt for you the player, it's hard not to reciprocate.

I honestly don't think it qualifies as just being a hater to not enjoy being blatantly talked down to.

Aaron

All they did was take the God of War attitude and push it to the point it actually becomes unpleasant. Where Kratos is a sociopath, Dante's Inferno feels like the entire game is one big sociopathic experience. At least as far as I've seen.

Darklord

Banned
Aaron said:
All they did was take the God of War attitude and push it to the point it actually becomes unpleasant. Where Kratos is a sociopath, Dante's Inferno feels like the entire game is one big sociopathic experience. At least as far as I've seen.

It's Hell. I'm glad they pushed it to make it unpleasant. It's meant to give you an uneasy feeling. Dante is a violent crusader, Hell is just violent. If you make a game based in Hell you have to make it like that because that's the way it should be made.

The sad thing is I guarantee there will be more people offended by the nudity than the violent or graphic images, especially in America.

stupei

It's more than that, though. Why the hell did he sew a cross into his skin? Because it's extreme! Why is his lover topless in every single scene? Because that's awesome! Why is there a cinematic with a cross protruding from a dude's eye? Because that's edgy!

The game just seems to deliberately pander to every negative stereotype about gaming that exists. I mean hey, at least it's not ashamed to be up front about what it is, but what it is feels very condescending to me personally.

Aaron

Darklord said:
It's Hell. I'm glad they pushed it to make it unpleasant. It's meant to give you an uneasy feeling. Dante is a violent crusader, Hell is just violent. If you make a game based in Hell you have to make it like that because that's the way it should be made.
There's nothing really unpleasant about the environment for me, but how Dante interacts with it, like ripping off Charon's head for no reason. It feels crass.

RDreamer

Dante's Inferno looks fun to play, just to go through and see what other ridiculous stuff they can pack in there. The gameplay is too much of a complete God of War clone for me to purchase it at 60 bucks, though, since the actual God of War is coming out later in the year. Good for me that I have a friend that absolutely loves God of War so much (and that's pretty well the only game he really gets into) that he's going to buy this one purely because it is God of War. I'll just borrow it from him when he's done and get my fill of it.

Darklord

Banned
stupei said:
It's more than that, though. Why the hell did he sew a cross into his skin? Because it's extreme! Why is his lover topless in every single scene? Because that's awesome! Why is there a cinematic with a cross protruding from a dude's eye? Because that's edgy!

The game just seems to deliberately pander to every negative stereotype about gaming that exists. I mean hey, at least it's not ashamed to be up front about what it is, but what it is feels very condescending to me personally.

Half of the nudity scenes aren't meant to be hot at all. It's either in a cartoon for a second or less or on a dead body. It annoys me in games when they have tons of blood and gore but then covers over a girls nipples with her hair like that's pushing it too far. Give me a break.

Why did he sew a cross into his skin? I dunno, maybe they liked the design? Maybe they wanted to show what a devout and extremist crusader he is? Believe it or not people have fucked them self up a LOT worse than that in the name of religion.

Everything I've seen add that level of depth to the atmosphere in little bits. Hell is a seriously messed up place, Dante is a violent person himself. It's not like Gears of War where they just go "OMG CURBSTOMP YEEEEAGH WHOO!". God of War is exactly the same. There are tits, there is a heap of violent. I think showing a guys head getting torn off my Kratos' bare hands and using that decapitated head as an item is pretty messed up too but it adds to the game. Why? Because ancient mythological Greece had tons of nudity and tons of violence. Just like this game. Don't get me wrong, they did that because God of War does it too but that isn't to say it's a bad thing.

The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom looks so, so good. Reminds me a lot of Braid. For 800msp I'm completely sold. Hell, I would be at 1200.

Also, Jeff will never cease to amaze me with his impulse purchases. :lol I can see him buying every bit of crap from a home shopping channel on TV when he's old and sat in his house all day.

stupei

Don't get me wrong, I see no fault in someone being excited for the game. I just think being way turned off by it is a totally legitimate response -- one which I happen to share.

Darklord said:
Half of the nudity scenes aren't meant to be hot at all. It's either in a cartoon for a second or less or on a dead body. It annoys me in games when they have tons of blood and gore but then covers over a girls nipples with her hair like that's pushing it too far. Give me a break.

I'm not sure I get your point. You really think the girls in the game are constantly topless for any reason other than for 13 year olds to go, "Dude, that's so awesome"? Like, what, for the artistic merit? I'm not saying I'm shocked and offended, I just think it's a really lame attempt at pandering.

Darklord said:
Everything I've seen add that level of depth to the atmosphere in little bits. Hell is a seriously messed up place, Dante is a violent person himself. It's not like Gears of War where they just go "OMG CURBSTOMP YEEEEAGH WHOO!". God of War is exactly the same. There are tits, there is a heap of violent. I think showing a guys head getting torn off my Kratos' bare hands and using that decapitated head as an item is pretty messed up too but it adds to the game. Why? Because ancient mythological Greece had tons of nudity and tons of violence. Just like this game. Don't get me wrong, they did that because God of War does it too but that isn't to say it's a bad thing.

I just completely disagree with this. It doesn't add any depth or come across as legitimately hellish or messed up. It just seems like a very juvenile interpretation of what Hell is. It's Like Brutal Legend except instead of being self-aware and tongue in cheek, it's completely earnest. Honestly, it's funny that you bring up Gears of War, because they both feature muscular archetypes with zero depth in search of their wives. The difference being that Dante's Inferno tries to pull off Biblical and literary references in the same breath as minotaur decapitation and cut scenes played out over silk sewn into his bellybutton.

Denzar

Aaron said:
There's nothing really unpleasant about the environment for me, but how Dante interacts with it, like ripping off Charon's head for no reason. It feels crass.

And that's why I like it, really.

Myomoto

To the people wondering why Dante is sowing a cross into himself, it is mentioned in a developer diary that he does it to remind himself of his sins. Each stitch corresponding to a sin he has committed. So not only is Dante violent, he's a complete nutjob as well :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom