• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GiantBomb Quick Look Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denzar

panda21 said:
this is stupid :lol

its set in hell, its a videogame, what were you expecting? its not like god of war is high brow entertainment. or any similar videogame for that matter. who cares that its named after some stupid book of a film about volcanos or something, the film wasn't that great either.

dantes%20peak%20hd-dvd%20capture.JPG

What?

(Seriously, I laughed out loud :lol )

panda21 said:

its set in hell, its a videogame, what were you expecting? its not like god of war is high brow entertainment. or any similar videogame for that matter. who cares that its named after some stupid book of a film about volcanos or something, the film wasn't that great either.

Peak. Dante's Peak. Know your damned Brosnan, yo.

Ten-Song

I AM JOHN! said:
All this is making me wish The Lost never got cancelled.

Oh man, I forgot about that game. I remember thinking that was actually a really cool way to adapt a story like the Divine Comedy into game form. I remember being really bummed out when it got shit canned.

Jocchan said:
If they just said they used Dante's nine circles of Hell as the setting for the story of their badass crusader trying to save his fiancee while slaying demons GoW-style I wouldn't have had any problem, but we all know why they did what they did.

Yeah, pretty much. I used to be somewhat irked by God of War's setting, but Dante's Inferno is so insipid that I've come to appreciate what God of War does to make its story its own thing. Dante's Inferno is so by the numbers, and so awful in every manner of conception, that it just makes me want to strangle everyone working at EA Visceral. If they wanted to make a cheap God of War knock off for the Dudebro market? Fine, but to use fucking Dante's Inferno of all things to go after that crowd... in my head the only thing they could have done that would be more offensive was use the bible as their "source" material.

"YO CHECK IT, IN THIS GOD OF WAR, YOU PLAY AS JESUS, WHO CAME BACK FROM THE DEAD AND IS SUPER PISSED, AND YOU HAVE TO USE THE CROSS YOU WERE NAILED ON AS A WEAPON. ALSO, CHECK OUT ALL THESE TITTIES!"

LCfiner

panda21 said:

best possible response, sarcastic or not :lol :lol

Ten-Song said:
"YO CHECK IT, IN THIS GOD OF WAR, YOU PLAY AS JESUS, WHO CAME BACK FROM THE DEAD AND IS SUPER PISSED, AND YOU HAVE TO USE THE CROSS YOU WERE NAILED ON AS A WEAPON. ALSO, CHECK OUT ALL THESE TITTIES!"

As an anti-Christian, I don't mind that scenario.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Ten-Song said:
See, it's not that easy to get more ridicuous than the Bible.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oh dear

Jocchan said:
If they just said they used Dante's nine circles of Hell as the setting for the story of their badass crusader trying to save his fiancee while slaying demons GoW-style I wouldn't have had any problem,

That's...... what it is.

Sipowicz

Banned
elrechazao said:
What's hilarious is all of this faux outrage from literary wonks is really just a cover for "it's not god of war and I love sony" rage.
:lol

i don't even own a PS3 and i didn't really like it that much when i had one

game is still a complete fucking ripoff with a stupid premise

stupei said:
Too true. If your console warz bait didn't alter hearts and minds, truly nothing ever will.
No, I was actually referring to the person who was just whining about the game not being exactly what the game is....

wmat said:
See, it's not that easy to get more ridicuous than the Bible.

For the record, the God of War dudes don't seem to be too far behind.

The star of Bethlehem thing in GOW II, you know. Kratos being God, who bangs Mary and later tries to kill his own son, who in turn defies the old man by rising from the dead as a symbol of peace, which as history shows has spurred on plenty of warfare. So Jesus is basically the God of War.

Of course, that's just me speculating.

stupei

elrechazao said:
No, I was actually referring to the person who was just whining about the game not being exactly what the game is....

It's pretty obvious what you're referring to. What I'm referring to is your disappearing from the thread once people began to disagree with your fairly unfounded jab and only reappearing long enough to sigh over the futility of arguing with fools.

Edit: Also, PB Winterbottom looks amazing. That's the first I've ever seen actual gameplay and for 800 points I can't wait.

stupei said:
It's pretty obvious what you're referring to. What I'm referring to is your disappearing from the thread once people began to disagree with your fairly unfounded jab and only reappearing long enough to sigh over the futility of arguing with fools.
Disappear from the thread eh? How does that work? Maybe I should make sure to get in every other post and respond to every person so that you don't judge my contribution to be lacking.

I'll be here at the keyboard trembling with anticipation to pounce on the next person who disagrees with my thesis, per your request.

stupei

elrechazao said:
Disappear from the thread eh? How does that work? Maybe I should make sure to get in every other post and respond to every person so that you don't judge my contribution to be lacking.

I'll be here at the keyboard trembling with anticipation to pounce on the next person who disagrees with my thesis, per your request.

Yeah, you keep doing that thing where the only points you make are about other GAFers, not about the games being discussed. All I'm saying is I'm not sure it gives you much room to bemoan the level of discourse.

stupei said:
Yeah, you keep doing that thing where the only points you make are about other GAFers, not about the games being discussed. All I'm saying is I'm not sure it gives you much room to bemoan the level of discourse.
Have you prepared a guide to appropriate posting that I somehow missed? I respond to the comments that interest me, as you apparently do as well. I'm sorry for being so interesting to you, I'll try to do worse in the future. Stop trying to moderate the discussion - when you get a red tag I might give half a shit about your instructions on how to post. Until then, log back into your altogetherandrews account and make some more witty comments.

stupei

elrechazao said:
Have you prepared a guide to appropriate posting that I somehow missed? I respond to the comments that interest me, as you apparently do as well. I'm sorry for being so interesting to you, I'll try to do worse in the future. Stop trying to moderate the discussion - when you get a red tag I might give half a shit about your instructions on how to post. Until then, log back into your altogetherandrews account and make some more witty comments.

Jesus.

Well, you have certainly proven to me that you can hold a discussion about video games on a video game forum. My apologies for thinking that comments responding to statements that you make might be some of the ones that interest you, I'll just go along assuming you only respond when you think it makes you look clever or someone has agreed with you, shall I? Knowing that nothing you have to say is of any value even to yourself will certainly give me less reading to do in future, so I thank you!

elrechazao said:
Have you prepared a guide to appropriate posting that I somehow missed? I respond to the comments that interest me, as you apparently do as well.

Seems like it would be somewhat more worthwhile and fitting to discuss the games and surrounding topics than just randomly dropping turds of generic blah in the name of putrid board drama and odd user obsession, but I guess the former is just much less interesting to you. Oh well.

Don

I really hate those cartoon style cutscenes. They remind me of the cutscenes in Mirrors Edge which I didn't like either.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Seems like it would be somewhat more worthwhile and fitting to discuss the games and surrounding topics than just randomly dropping turds of generic blah in the name of putrid board drama and odd user obsession, but I guess the former is just much less interesting to you. Oh well.
Talk about the gaaaaaaaaaaaaames.

Don said:
I really hate those cartoon style cutscenes. They remind me of the cutscenes in Mirrors Edge which I didn't like either.

They look a bit better than Mirror's Edge, though. Those were straight up Esurance, cheap looking flash stuff.

elrechazao said:

But we are talking about the games. I know that doesn't interest you, but do try to keep up, pleo.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
elrechazao said:

Give it a rest please ffs, it's unbelievable that you've not been banned yet seriously, you drop in and out of threads baiting and trolling all the bloody time.

AltogetherAndrews said:
But we are talking about the games. I know that doesn't interest you, but do try to keep up, pleo.

So whining about the so called butchering of the literature is talking about the game, but discussing those who are doing said whining is not?

I'd have to disagree. As I said in any number of other threads on this game, the amount of cognitive dissonance coming from the people who complain about over the top violence, gratuitous tits, and horrible butchery of great archetypal stories in this game while simultaneously praising a game like a god of war is baffling.

Add in the "hell looks too ugly" complaints, and we're officially nuts.

lowrider007 said:
Give it a rest please ffs, it's unbelievable that you've not been banned yet seriously, you drop in and out of threads baiting and trolling all the bloody time.

I'm talking about what people are talking about in this thread. If you don't like it, you could keep backseat modding, or maybe don't click on the thread. Or just read your own posts back to yourself since you don't like anyone to say anything with which you disagree.

kylej said:
itt gaf complains about hell looking ugly.

Yup. Careful though, you're not "talking about the game"

Sipowicz

Banned
Loxley said:
You're acting as though Darksiders being a grittier Zelda is a bad thing, name the last "Zelda-clone" we ever got?

okami. okami was beautiful, it was unique, it had amazing characters and a truly unique setting/characters

i liked it much more than twilight princess even though it went on a bit too long

darksiders just smacks of pandering to the call of duty 4 crowd. put some ridiculous designs in there straight out a rob liefield or todd mcfarlane comic from the 90's. a post apocalyptic setting. angels and demons and shit, characters like "war" and "vulgrim" then rip off the gameplay of zelda and a few others as much as you can

there is no originality in the gameplay, and the setting is a fucking embarassment unless you're one of the guffawing idiots who enjoys watching thos shitty G4 awards

yet it will still outsell okami. that's some of the saddest shit ever

elrechazao said:
So whining about the so called butchering of the literature is talking about the game, but discussing those who are doing said whining is not?

I'd have to disagree.

That would be a bit daft. The literature is directly connected to the game, even if it is hard to believe. EA has itself made a big affair of this connection, to the point where the literary work is being relaunched with a new cover, so it stands to reason that the game would face some criticism, all of which is very much on the topic of the game. I for one don't particularly care about the sanctity of that piece and have therefore stuck mostly to referencing my own issues with the game, and its relation to other games. Others seem to be more offended by it, which you then write off as just some excuse to hate the game.

Your little shallow and noisy board drama shtick that you so very rarely stray from is just that, board drama. It references nothing but the board and its users, and your personal perspective on it. It's the Entertainment Tonight of the thread. So you're consistently off-topic, distant to whatever is being discussed yet incredibly attached to the characters involved and their supposed motives. If that works for you, then hey.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
elrechazao said:
I'm talking about what people are talking about in this thread. If you don't like it, you could keep backseat modding, or maybe don't click on the thread. Or just read your own posts back to yourself since you don't like anyone to say anything with which you disagree.

I get along with plenty of people on here that disagree with my points of view, often I find myself learning something new from them, but you are different, you rarely stay on topic, you bounce into threads out of the blue winding people up and then disappear into the night when people get riled up, your often sarcastic, rude and condescending, you revel in controversy, I'm not trying to moderate, it's just I'm tired of seeing threads derailed by your crap.

Don

AltogetherAndrews said:
They look a bit better than Mirror's Edge, though. Those were straight up Esurance, cheap looking flash stuff.
The main thing I don't like is how there are three different cutscene styles with the cartoon flashbacks, some CG stuff and the rest are in-game. I would rather have them stick to one or two styles.

I even would have preferred that if they were going to use those types of cutscenes, that they would handle it like Heavenly Sword which had a similar style for the animated series, but made them downloadable separately or available from the game menu instead of putting them into the main game.

When playing the demo and watching the quick look, it feels like it takes you out of the game a bit every time those cutscenes appear.

stupei

Don said:

The stylized look of the cutscenes is actually one of the only things I really like because that feels like it's going for a very specific tone. Makes me think of this. The rest just feels so generic to me.

Edit: To an extent I can see how jarring the cutscenes are in comparison with the rest, so I do take your point, but I personally wish the rest of the game was more stylized and out there like the cutscenes are rather than the cutscenes being more like the rest of the game. :lol

Shurs

Ten-Song said:

When you die, you have to wait three days before you can continue.

AltogetherAndrews said:
That would be a bit daft. The literature is directly connected to the game, even if it is hard to believe. EA has itself made a big affair of this connection, to the point where the literary work is being relaunched with a new cover, so it stands to reason that the game would face some criticism, all of which is very much on the topic of the game. I for one don't particularly care about and have therefore stuck mostly to referencing my own issues with the game, and its relation to other games.

Your little shallow and noisy board drama shtick that you so very rarely stray from is just that, board drama. It references nothing but the board and its users, and your personal perspective on it. It's the Entertainment Tonight of the thread. So you're consistently off-topic, distant to whatever is being discussed yet incredibly attached to the characters involved and their supposed motives. If that works for you, then hey.
As for the literature, you act as if it's surprising that they would "make a big affair" of the connection. Did you expect that a game called dante's inferno perhaps wouldn't contain such references? You seem very angry that it did, which is pretty baffling. This attitude of "we were betrayed because we expected Visceral games to make a game that was true to a piece of literature, and instead they brought us juvenile gorefest action for dummies so we need to freak out about it" is just amusing no matter how many times it happens in these threads.

As for my posting, I'm glad you're a fan or whatever, but like I said to you on your other account a few posts back, I don't post for your amusement or anger, I comment on what interests me, and the anti dante's inferno crowd is simply fascinating. Was I not supposed to post "from my personal perspective"? That's...an interesting theory....And again, of all the people around here to start shit about someone's posting style, the kettle who should be slinging around black paint is you. Discussion forums are apparently gravely serious business though, and must be regulated according to your noble standards, lest we all perish. Actually, brb, gonna go sew a giant N in my chest as penance for disturbing your idea of a perfect forum.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
elrechazao said:
As for the literature, you act as if it's surprising that they would "make a big affair" of the connection. Did you expect that a game called dante's inferno perhaps wouldn't contain such references? You seem very angry that it did, which is pretty baffling. This attitude of "we were betrayed because we expected Visceral games to make a game that was true to a piece of literature, and instead they brought us juvenile gorefest action for dummies so we need to freak out about it" is just amusing no matter how many times it happens in these threads.
If they can't do it justice, they shouldn't do it at all. DI is a forced product in that sense.
Yeah, it has cool cutscenes, good art, sweet animations and so forth. I for one wouldn't dispute that aspect of it.

As for my posting, I'm glad you're a fan or whatever, but like you said on your other account a few posts back, I don't post for your amusement or anger, I comment on what interests me, and the anti dante's inferno crowd is simply fascinating. And again, of all the people around here to start shit about someone's posting style, the kettle who should be slinging around black paint is you. Discussion forums are apparently gravely serious business though, and must be regulated according to your noble standards, lest we all perish. Actually, brb, gonna go sew a giant N in my chest as penance for disturbing your idea of a perfect forum.
Can't you just drop it? How hard is that?

wmat said:
If they can't do it justice, they shouldn't do it at all. DI is a forced product in that sense.
Yeah, it has cool cutscenes, good art, sweet animations and so forth. I for one wouldn't dispute that aspect of it.

Can't you just drop it? How hard is that?

Why shouldn't they do it at all? I love greek mythology, and had fun with many games that shat all over the stories, starting back with kid icarus and athena on my NES, all the way through god of war. If you demand ideological and artistic purity from your hack n slash genre, how do you survive as a gamer? Fun games are fun, end of story.

Oh, and very.

Lets just let the whole DI/GOW thing play out. They both come out within a month, so there will be no excuses when they are compared with one another.

The inherent downside to imitating a series is that you are one iteration behind. If DI comes out and its PS2ish in its version of the genre, and GOW comes out and it advances the genre to where we think it will, then the debate will be settled pretty quickly.

kylej

Banned
elrechazao said:
If you demand ideological and artistic purity from your hack n slash genre, how do you survive as a gamer? Fun games are fun, end of story.

I only play Ico. Currently on my 73rd playthrough. I still get weepy when Yorda holds my hand. This is... art...

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
elrechazao said:
Do you really think they kept the same names to homage or reference the poem while telling their own story?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Jocchan said:
Do you really think they kept the same names to homage or reference the poem while telling their own story?

What does it matter if they kept the names? The game is obviously exactly what you said it is and it obviously is not trying to be anything else. If I found a quote where the lead designer said "Dante's Inferno seemed like a good story to use as a backdrop for an epic action game." or whatever it is you want them to say would the game be fine then?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
elrechazao said:
Why shouldn't they do it at all? I love greek mythology, and had fun with many games that shat all over the stories, starting back with kid icarus and athena on my NES, all the way through god of war. If you demand ideological and artistic purity from your hack n slash genre, how do you survive as a gamer? Fun games are fun, end of story.
Where's the fun here though? The game's 'compelling' or whatever. The fun could come with the puzzles or the combos or the upgrading or ...
But the imagery isn't fun (unless you're into fucked up shit, I guess). The connection to the DC isn't fun. The whole copycat attitude isn't fun.

The game has no chance in my book in any case because I detest GOW-like games (I suck at them). But it's real easy to hate on this one from all angles.

Also, we're not on NES here. That shit's played out. You have to marry gameplay with something else with these big releases. And they obviously attempted it here, doesn't convince me it's enjoyable stuff though.

And there are all sorts of opportunities they're not taking by going down this path. Sure, they can do wacky gory demon splatter combo slomo multiplier junk, but come on, who wants to do this stuff over. and. over. again. It's played out.

Ah fuck it, not saying it's a sin if you buy this one, go ahead, by all means. I can't get anything out of it though, even if I ignore the whole literature-is-too-holy-for-gaemz angle.

Cetra

elrechazao said:
If you demand ideological and artistic purity from your hack n slash genre, how do you survive as a gamer? Fun games are fun, end of story.

This I can agree with. I read the poem several years ago and while doing so constantly thought about how cool a game based on it would be. If only for the imagery put forth in the poem. Several have been started since and been canned now a version of Dante's Inferno as a video game is coming out and I couldn't be more stoked. I would have preferred it to be survival-horror, but hack and slash will have to do.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
_tetsuo_ said:
What does it matter if they kept the names? The game is obviously exactly what you said it is and it obviously is not trying to be anything else. If I found a quote wher the lead designer said "Dante's Inferno seemed like a good story to use as a backdrop for an epic action game." or whatever it is you want them to say would the game be fine then?
It's obviously a blatant attempt to gather free advertising from this kind of discussions. If they honestly wanted to use that as a "backdrop for an epic action game" it would have had a different title and different characters that weren't a 13 year old kid's twisted idea of the characters of the Comedy after reading a summary of the "plot" on Wikipedia.
It would have been their original game set in the nine circles of Hell envisioned by Dante, and this is not what they did.
But whatever, if you're happy with that then more power to you.

wmat said:
Where's the fun here though? The game's 'compelling' or whatever. The fun could come with the puzzles or the combos or the upgrading or ...
But the imagery isn't fun (unless you're into fucked up shit, I guess). The connection to the DC isn't fun. The whole copycat attitude isn't fun.

The game has no chance in my book in any case because I detest GOW-like games (I suck at them). But it's real easy to hate on this one from all angles.

Also, we're not on NES here. That shit's played out. You have to marry gameplay with something else with these big releases. And they obviously attempted it here, doesn't convince me it's enjoyable stuff though.

And there are all sorts of opportunities they're not taking by going down this path. Sure, they can do wacky gory demon splatter combo slomo multiplier junk, but come on, who wants to do this stuff over. and. over. again. It's played out.

Ah fuck it, not saying it's a sin if you buy this one, go ahead, by all means. I can't get anything out of it though, even if I ignore the whole literature-is-too-holy-for-gaemz angle.
That's fine, I just don't care whether a dev is a pretentious douche or the biggest dudebro fratboy in the world. If I enjoy the end product, that's all I care about. You seem to just not be into the genre. Bayonnetta, Dante, God of War, do I really need one more over the top QTE ripped off head tits in my face button mashing combo breaker? Dunno, I'll see when I get my hands on it. Probably going to enjoy all three while simultaneously finding them all different shades of juvenile, pretentious, pathetic, and laughable.

Jocchan said:
It's obviously a blatant attempt to gather free advertising from this kind of discussions. If they honestly wanted to use that as a "backdrop for an epic action game" it would have had a different title and different characters that weren't a 13 year old kid's twisted idea of the characters of the Comedy after reading a summary of the "plot" on Wikipedia.
It would have been their original game set in the nine circles of Hell envisioned by Dante, and this is not what they did.
But whatever, if you're happy with that then more power to you.

Do you think centuries old italian literature is above commercialistic reproach or something? Are you against developers promoting their games? I really just don't understand what you have a problem with unless you're dante's heir or were working on a serious Inferno film adaptation that shared a release date with this video game. If none of those things, I'll eagerly await you flipping out about god of war being the result of a 13 year old kid's twisted idea of the characters of greek mythology after reading a summary of the stories on wikipedia.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
elrechazao said:
That's fine, I just don't care whether a dev is a pretentious douche or the biggest dudebro fratboy in the world. If I enjoy the end product, that's all I care about. You seem to just not be into the genre. Bayonnetta, Dante, God of War, do I really need one more over the top QTE ripped off head tits in my face button mashing combo breaker? Dunno, I'll see when I get my hands on it. Probably going to enjoy all three while simultaneously finding them all different shades of juvenile, pretentious, pathetic, and laughable.
Yeah, I'm not into the genre, but I find this title unappealing in other regards as well; this is a discussion I don't want to redo for the nth time though.

By the way, I find Bayonetta much more appealing, although I don't have any sympathy for the way it's played because that's not my thing.

It's like they can do whatever they want, they can't go wrong as long as it's not boring. DI is different in that regard because of the reference.

Something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom