• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gifted |OT| Mondays on FOX at 9/8c

Zoe

What was the line drop that placed this after Xavier's incident?

I noticed immediately, but that's because the ad for hiring extras in Dallas was always appearing in my Facebook profile and well I live in Dallas.

Huh, they just flashed a Georgia logo though

That was enjoyable. So the kid has some sort of..... Telekinetic powers or vibrational powers.

What's the girls power, the one who looks like Chloë Grace Moretz?

I feel silly for not noticing earlier that Sentinel Services is some sort of metaphor for Hitler's paramilitary group the Schutzstaffel or the SS.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I thought that was pretty cool, I hope the quality holds up.

That was enjoyable. So the kid has some sort of..... Telekinetic powers or vibrational powers.

What's the girls power, the one who looks like Chloë Grace Moretz?

She can condense air and water into walls

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i’m in for the season

having cut most of the dc cw, i have time this Fall

plz don’t let me down

Joining you guys, really quite liked that premiere. I'm in.

Looking forward to ep 2 and getting a feel for how well they can keep up the style/pacing/power use. The mutants and sentinel services chase setup is good too.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
It was ok. But there was no surprises, everyone leaned hard into their archetypes and the script was textbook

i feel like that is important for a pilot - some of my favorite pilots like AoS & The OC benefitted heavily from starting from archetypes and growing in interesting/subversive places

Slayven

i feel like that is important for a pilot - some of my favorite pilots like AoS & The OC benefitted heavily from starting from archetypes and growing in interesting/subversive places

They have had 20 years of similar story lines in the movies, they could have started doing their own thing from day one.

Was impressed by the amount of power use, while it'll likely get more spaced out in the future, I hope they can mostly keep it up, which seems more likely now on modern superhero shows than before, since the more they can afford to allow them to use them the more creative they can get with having the characters develop interesting ways to use them over time in new situations.

Also, I wasn't following the news closely so I liked that there was a more ensemble feel than I expected from the premiere beyond the family. They're still the focus but I liked how the pilot spread things around with all the extra "good guy" mutants screentime.

J_Viper

Forgot this was tonight. The previews made it look surprisingly solid.

On a scale of SHIELD Season 1 to Daredevil S1 (that's low to high), where did it land?

Dynomutt

Missed the first 5 minutes,
I know there is a fugitive in the building with green telekinesis and the bright man...
Did I miss anything else.

Forgot this was premiering tonight but happened to catch it right when it started.

Overall it felt a bit generic and drab, but it was entertaining nevertheless. I liked the awkward but poignant position the dad gets put in in regards to his job vs his children, and the shades of classic mutant issues felt alright.

I'll try to catch this as it airs if I can.

Nyanmaruz

If it's as solid as most people are saying and it keeps being that way, I'll probably check this out once the entire season runs its course...

JackDT

I'm surprised people are rating this so highly. Not bad but it kind of reminded me of an ABC Family production, scaled way up.

Ashhong

Jamie's eye is too green imo

Anybody know the song that was playing at the dance?

I'm surprised people are rating this so highly. Not bad but it kind of reminded me of an ABC Family production, scaled way up.

What does this even mean?

This is giving me serious Days of Future Past vibes. And I loved hating that movie. Only because seeing mutants hunted down makes me so stressed out. :(

JackDT

Jamie's eye is too green imo

Anybody know the song that was playing at the dance?

What does this even mean?

The tone, editing, casting reminded me of a series of superpower shows that were on ABC Family over the last decade (Kyle XY, Beyond, etc). They kind of had a 90s tv show vibe and lots 'family' tropes.

Ashhong

The tone, editing, casting reminded me of a series of superpower shows that were on ABC Family over the last decade (Kyle XY, Beyond, etc). They kind of had a 90s tv show vibe and lots 'family' tropes.

The only similarity I personally see is that they focus on the family. I didnt get any of that vibe, but to each their own. Thought it was really good, will tune in every week

That ringtone was GREAT
Stan Lee was awesome

I liked it, what happened to the X-Men in this timeline? Will there be giant robot sentinels?

Edit - Oh, the thing where Xavier's mind went nuts and he killed a lot of people.....

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I wouldn't bother trying to tightly place this into the movie continuity. The movies don't even do that between themselves, a TV production isn't going to. Even if they did, it's not like Hugh Jackman is making a cameo or something.

Umm, that was better than I was expecting. But my expectations were rock bottom after the trailers. I definitely enjoyed the pilot though. It was less cheesecake than I was expecting. Don't get me wrong, it was still cheesy but it moved through the story beats briskly.

I thought the premiere was pretty good, best thing it had going for it was a sense of momentum. They didn't really waste time with getting the family on the run.

If they are able to develop the characters further and take the story in some different directions, I can see myself continuing to watch. The Mutant power set works well for TV and the way they handled the Sentinels made sense for a TV budget.

I enjoyed that, I'll keep watching for sure. I love that they are just embracing the X-Men and not ignoring it almost completely like Legion did (Though I still loved Legion)

Came in with no expectations and was pleasantly surprised. They handled the powers pretty well on a TV budget but I expect them to scale back immensely for the rest of the season.

I don't think this would neatly slot in to any of the movie timelines. Logan definitely doesn't work because mutants weren't born for the past 25 years by the start of the movie and the main kids are teenagers. I would put it in the DOFP timeline if it had to go anywhere just because of the way they're cracking down on mutants. That would really suck for the characters though.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
What was the line drop that placed this after Xavier's incident?
I think people are saying that cause of the line talking about the X-Men and the brotherhood disappearing and no one knows if they still exist. Still doesn’t make sense with Logan though cause the kids are the last batch of mutants in the movie and they’ve all been genetically engineered after the humans found a way to suppress the X gene in the general population.

Toki767

Honestly I would have put this after X-Men The Last Stand, but I guess in theory they retconned that movie into never existing.

Top Bottom