• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lack of new game announcements for the Nintendo Switch.

terrier

Then you don't need to wait for E3.

well, i also think that it will end being a Vita2 with Nintendo first party, wich is nice, but maybe i am proven wrong, who knows, maybe it is the hype train, everybody saying how switch has changed the way they see gaming so if it sells enough it may get the support needed.

Err, that image is fanmade right? Roughly 30% of those are guesses.

It's fan made but nearly all of them are well-sourced. Which 30% are guesses? I know one has turned out to be wishful thinking but we need to know which other ones are disputed.

Unfortunately several of these were made and "ownership" of updates was passed between several people, so there are a few versions floating around (as can even be seen on page 1 of this thread). This is the most recent version of the image I'm aware of, you can see it's dated 2/27 in the lower right corner:

kdLUIoZ.jpg

Switch already has more games after 25 days than PS4 did. It will have about as many games by the end of its second calendar month than PS4 had by the end of its fourth. And PS4 launched during the holiday season.

The double standards at play here are dazzling.

woo, we got some some old motherfucking ass ports!

That pic is filled by games that can be played TODAY on other platforms.

I never understood the "hype" for this pic. Mario and Xeno...maybe splatoon and that's it.

Nintendo had to delay BOTW literally so they could release the Switch with at least 1 worth having game till some big tittle was released.

But yes, I agree we better wait for the E3 and see what happens.

I'm actually not currently hyped by the pic. OP asked where the game announcements were and I gave them to him. I didn't say they were all AAA Metroid Primes 4, 5 and 6 in the making.

MouldyK

Certainly, I'm the lead developer on Clive 'N' Wrench (bottom right) and it's inclusion on that list is news to me! No official announcement from me as of yet!

Back when we first launched this campaign we had Wii U as a main target platform. As I'm sure most of you are aware by now, the Wii U has ceased production and is fairly quickly being phased out, making room for the Switch. Whilst we definitely want CnW to appear on a Nintendo system at some point in the future, it seems very unlikely that the Wii U is a viable option any more. So I would like to apologise to anyone who was hoping to see Clive 'N' Wrench on their Wii U, but that is unfortunately no longer the plan.

I think they thought this quote meant you were looking into it. A stretch still though.

Link Here.

Majine

Banned
I just hope that the VC delay means they are taking their time to do something good this time around.

Of course, this is Nintendo, so it will probably be underwhelming.

I'm actually not currently hyped by the pic. OP asked where the game announcements were and I gave them to him. I didn't say they were all AAA Metroid Primes 4, 5 and 6 in the making.

I don't think it was ever necessarily about hype, it's just a good infographic for seeing what's coming, instead of a massive text list.

Arkeband

Banned
Introducing "Switch and Spin"!

This brand new game is free!!!

Simply set your joy-cons on the table and spin them around in circles, whoever spins them the fastest wins!

Wow!

Malice215

There's no secret that the Switch was going to be carried by Zelda for a while until new games start to trickle out. If you're not interested in Mario Kart or expecting games like Destiny 2 or Red Dead to show up on the Switch, then you're going to be disappointed.

Third parties have games coming later in the year, but who knows what their support of the device will be. I'm not expecting much given Nintendo's history, but if the Switch continues to perform well, they'll make dedicated games for it.

I just hope that the VC delay means they are taking their time to do something good this time around.

Of course, this is Nintendo, so it will probably be underwhelming.

I think VC will be fine once they get around to it, and the joycons make for an instant multiplayer setup. It can't be as bad as the Wii U implementation at least.

mindsale

I think VC will be fine once they get around to it, and the joycons make for an instant multiplayer setup. It can't be as bad as the Wii U implementation at least.

Get around to it? How mismanaged is this company that not only do their devs not have games for its inaugural year (or the final two years of the Wii U), but they can't get some roms up to sell for outrageous prices? I'm begging for content to play on this thing.

royox

Ah I was not refering to you, but you have to admit a LOT of people (even here in gaf...even in this same thread) use this pic as if it was something impressive or a reason to be hyped for. "Oh look Skyrim is coming!! It's not dead Jim!!"

Duxxy3

It's going to be Nintendo games and indies. If anybody is expecting more than that, they'll be disappointed.

hertog

This is the reason that I'm not buying one this year. Only game that interest me is disgaea 5 and maybe that spiritual successor to banjo-kazooie. Never been a big Mario or Zelda fan, so I'm still good with my Vita for my handheld needs.

xviper

a new Zelda exclusive to the Switch is enough for me to buy the Switch, but i know that won't happen since BOTW just came out

i may buy the switch once Mario odyssey + fire emblem + Monster hunter released on the system

mozfan12

Banned
Really wish Nintendo were more aggressive with game announcements. I gotta expect that more companies are signing up seeing as how early signs point to the Switch at the very least not being a Wii U scenario. I mean it's still only the first month, and the focus has to be on getting as many people with a Switch as humanly possible. I just gotta hope more developers are taking the Switch seriously and I guess we'll find out at E3.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
It's only been under a month since launch. It only feels like a long time because of the shitload of time you have probably put into Zelda already.

Anyway I hope there is something announced next week when 1 month hits.

Isn't this common for Nintendo systems? I think Nintendo was fairly clear on what the Switch had to offer during the launch period. Maybe E3 will bring in some surprises.

if it does well in Japan (all signs point to yes) we should see some decent support from Japanese developers.

REMake 2!

Maybe. I think it all depends on the Nintendo audience. They are very selective with third party games much like the Microsoft audience. Also, it depends on how much work the developers are willing to do to get the game to run properly on the Switch unless it is a game from ground up of course.

Games exclusive to the Switch that I've bought:

Zelda
Blaster Master
Snipper Clips

It's gonna be pretty dry for a while that's for sure... But that's why PC is my main platform.

TDLink

I do think Nintendo needs to do something before E3, even if they're saving stuff until then. I suppose they're expecting people to be satisfied with Zelda for three months. ARMS is supposedly this Quarter though, right? They've barely talked about that even though I'm guessing it's taking their end of May spot. April seems like a dead month apart from Mario Kart at the very end. Getting an indie game or two a week, that probably has already been out on other systems (like Hollow Knight, for example...which is a great game) is definitely a weak way to keep momentum up. They're not getting the most high profile indie game of April, Yooka-Laylee, with the other versions either.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Remember when we thought Nintendo is having 3rd parties hold back NX announcements to the console announcement, and then to January? Good times.

NolbertoS

Uhmm, didn't switch just launch like uhmmm, 20 plus days ago?? You honestly think Nintendo will drop megatons in a launch?? Not even Sony or MS had a AAA game at launch. Things take time to build and literally E3 is around the corner. If the Swith had launched in Fall with no game announcements than maybe panic.

Also people comparing this to the Vita launch?? Vita was sadly doomed from the start with its high MSRP price, memory card price and Western developers cancelling some projects within 6 months after launch. Doubt Nintenfo would go that extreme with their launch. Just wait for now

Unison

Am I the only one who doesn't expect a lot of big 2017 retail games for Switch this E3 from Nintendo? I would be surprised if we get more than two more announced.

The release list is pretty stacked, by Nintendo standards, as it is already. Secondly, Nintendo knows that a lot of people will be getting Switch during the Holidays and they will likely be picking up Mario Kart and Zelda.

Why compete with yourself?

Famassu

a new Zelda exclusive to the Switch is enough for me to buy the Switch, but i know that won't happen since BOTW just came out

i may buy the switch once Mario odyssey + fire emblem + Monster hunter released on the system
You don't think Switch will get an exclusive Zelda ever? Of course it won't get one in a year or two but unless it has a shortened life like Wii U, it's probably going to be around long enough to get an exclusive one. Much like Wii got Twilight Princess as a cross-gen game + Skyward Sword later on as an exclusive.

It's going to be Nintendo games and indies. If anybody is expecting more than that, they'll be disappointed.
it being a portable, it's destined for some level of success in Japan as 3DS & Vita are phased out. That will, at the very least, bring it fairly generous Japanese 3rd party support, even from bigger publishers like Capcom, Namco Bandai and Square Enix, though that'll probably mostly mean games more in line with Bravely Defaults and Digimons and not the FFXVs, KHIIIs, Nier Automatas, RE7s and such.

Get around to it? How mismanaged is this company that not only do their devs not have games for its inaugural year (or the final two years of the Wii U), but they can't get some roms up to sell for outrageous prices? I'm begging for content to play on this thing.
Ummm... BOTW? Splatoon 2? Xenoblade 2? Super Mario Odyssey? Arms? Plus potential other ports in addition to MK8 Deluxe and they might have at least some smaller unannounced Arms and/or indie-scale (likely digital only) games for latter parts of 2017. Nintendo's own support for Switch is pretty decent from a quantity POV for the first 9 months and potentially insane from a quality POV if the rest of their games for 2017 are even close to BOTW's quality, which isn't too crazy a notion considering the franchises getting releases this year (I mean, it's freaking Mario, Xenoblade and Splatoon, we can be fairly certain they will be some level of great).

That said, I do think they should hurry with adding VC. Preferably with a bang by releasing Mother 3 in English at the same time

m.i.s.

Banned
What I find totally bizarre are those who sell their 3DS and / or Wii U to buy into a totally unproven platform with no back compat and no functioning VC service.

Like, completely bonkers.

patapuf

Unless you like all of Nintendos first party this year is going to be lean.

I'm expecting to buy Zelda and Disgaea and maybe an indie game or two but since i'll mostly use it to commute and not as my primary system that's good enough for me.

it being a portable, it's destined for some level of success in Japan as 3DS & Vita are phased out. That will, at the very least, bring it fairly generous Japanese 3rd party support, even from bigger publishers like Capcom, Namco Bandai and Square Enix, though that'll probably mostly mean games more in line with Bravely Defaults and Digimons and not the FFXVs, KHIIIs, Nier Automatas, RE7s and such.

Yeah, japanese third parties will come eventually. I just doubt it's going to be this year.

What I find totally bizarre are those who sell their 3DS and / or Wii U to buy into a totally unproven platform with no back compat and no functioning VC service.

Completely agree, me and my brother have a friend who traded in his wii u all his accessories and games for a 200 dollar trade in value towards a switch (think my brother was saying our friend had to pay another 150-200 outta pocket). Guy didn't even buy a game with the console and the games he traded in were all first party nintendo games like mario kart and smash bros (not sure the exact list but those two were included)....now hes just got the switch sitting there while hes playing mass effect on xbox. Am i crazy or did this guy get royally screwed or what???...just seems like if you really wanted to sell all your stuff there are way better ways of going about it... i feel like the two games i mentioned could easily net you 60-80 bucks canadian on ebay where his trade in value was likely 5-10 dollars.... the funniest thing is this is a person who originally felt burnt by the Wii and Wii u. Hasn't learned a thing. Some people just can't help but buy into the hype.

correojon

well, i also think that it will end being a Vita2 with Nintendo first party, wich is nice, but maybe i am proven wrong, who knows, maybe it is the hype train, everybody saying how switch has changed the way they see gaming so if it sells enough it may get the support needed.

BotW already proves this will not be Vita2. Vita didn´t get the best version of any big Sony IP and had secondary studios develop the 1st party games, while Switch is assured to have the best versions of all Nintendo IPs developed by the main studios. The difference is quite important.

That game is... 2 years old now?
I think HLD was made with Game Maker which as far as I know isn´t supported by Switch. So either the devs have to port it for a new engine (Unity, Unreal...) or hopefully GM becomes supported by Switch.

jariw

Really wish Nintendo were more aggressive with game announcements. I gotta expect that more companies are signing up seeing as how early signs point to the Switch at the very least not being a Wii U scenario. I mean it's still only the first month, and the focus has to be on getting as many people with a Switch as humanly possible. I just gotta hope more developers are taking the Switch seriously and I guess we'll find out at E3.

There are currently as many people with a Switch as technically possible, basically.

Am I the only one who doesn't expect a lot of big 2017 retail games for Switch this E3 from Nintendo? I would be surprised if we get more than two more announced.

The release list is pretty stacked, by Nintendo standards, as it is already. Secondly, Nintendo knows that a lot of people will be getting Switch during the Holidays and they will likely be picking up Mario Kart and Zelda.

Why compete with yourself?

I agree with you that there will probably not be more than max two more 1st party games announced for 2017. But since the whole point of the Switch marketing seems to be to get lots of Switch sales for the Holidays, I think E3 will show at least some 2018 games as well.

correojon

There are currently as many people with a Switch as technically possible, basically.

I agree with you that there will probably not be more than max two more 1st party games announced for 2017. But since the whole point of the Switch marketing seems to be to get lots of Switch sales for the Holidays, I think E3 will show at least some 2018 games as well.

Yeah, I think that between BotW, Splatoon2, MK8D and Mario Nintendo has the holidays already covered for new users and early adopters. So E3 will probably be more about what´s to come in 2018.

oti

Banned

Selling off the 3DS would be stupid. But selling off the Wii U makes perfect sense. Prices are high due to low supply and the system is officially dead. Just don't be lazy and go to Gamestop, sell the system and the games separately on ebay.

m.i.s.

Banned
selling off the Wii U makes perfect sense. Prices are high due to low supply and the system is officially dead. Just don't be lazy and go to Gamestop, sell the system and the games separately on ebay.

If you're only interested in botw than it doesn't really make that much sense. Resale prices aren't really that high on Wii U that it offsets the [higher than what N traditionally sets prices] cost of the Switch. And games are cheaper on Wii U and it has a functioning VC and digital content platform and online play is free.

These kind of threads baffle me. This is what every launch is like, games are drip fed with little fan fare with most announcements made at the bigger events which usually are quite far from release. The second usually picks up but still quite anaemic, it isn't until the 3rd or 4th year releases are very healthy. It is the same at the moment with the PSVR, it was the same with the PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Xbox, Wii U, Wii, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES. It takes time for developers to create games, usually years and most devs wont get dev kits until launch with only a select few getting them beforehand, this is why ports and shorter games pad out launch windows as they are doable in such time frames.

oti

Banned
If you're only interested in botw than it doesn't really make that much sense. Resale prices aren't really that high on Wii U that it offsets the [higher than what N traditionally sets prices] cost of the Switch. And games are cheaper on Wii U and it has a functioning VC and digital content platform and online play is free.

If you still have games to play on Wii U, sure. But since the best version of Zelda is on Switch, the best version of MK will be on Switch, Splatoon 2 will be out in summer and rumours about a Smash port seem likely, I don't see a reason to keep the Wii U around. Especially if you want to play the Zelda DLC. Again, if Zelda is the only game you care about on either Wii U or Switch, having the Wii U lying around while it loses value just to play the DLC come holiday sounds like a bad plan.

I sold my Wii U and all its games last Christmas. Financed Switch purchase and more with it. But of course, Switch ain't cheap and paying for online will only add to that.

PSFan

Not to mention those who sold PS4s or X1s. There's tons to play on those consoles while you wait for Switch games, and plenty more coming. I'm planning to take a break from Zelda this weekend to dive into some Kingdom Hearts.

Top Bottom