• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lack of new game announcements for the Nintendo Switch.

I look forward to the inevitable "I can't keep up with all these Switch releases!" threads in a year or so.

That's me right here. I don't have much time to play, and even though I still manage to sink 60 hours into Zelda since launch, I don't think completing it before May is remotely possible. So I literally can't touch anything other than Zelda. I want to play Snake Pass and Isaac(bought), but time just isn't enough.

Jubenhimer

We got Mario Kart next month, and ARMS afterwards. I imagine we'll get a Direct sometime in April that details what's comming in Spring and Summer, along with a few surprises.

ViolentP

Launch month hasn't even ended yet.

If anything, Nintendo is holding all of their announcements (as well as third party announcements) until E3.

The one month argument has some merit, but some people are ready to move on from Zelda and there doesn't seem to be much to fall on.

The Switch premium prices are the only shitty thing preventing me from grabbing anything beyond Zelda. That's a bad situation for third parties to be in. $40 for the digital version of Binding of Issac?

The Switch needs good Indies without a premium fee attached.

I'll rebuy the great WiiU titles and Nintendo staples like Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon. I hope the Bayonetta games get ported, too. It'd be nice to see Mario Kart and Mario Party get Smash-treatment instead of the incestuously small gene pool they've stuck with, and Smash Party could literally be a remake of the first few games with an expanded roster and it'd be vastly better than the last few.

An expansive Switch-exclusive Pokemon game using BotW's engine... Fuuuuuuck, I want it!

Really? It is a few bucks more than steam. Are you really going to complain about four dollars for a hardcore copy of a game that is still 36 dollars on steam?

When I walked into Best Buy they only had 3 games on the shelf; Zelda, Bomberman, and 1 2 Switch. I know there's more out there though, and launch is always slow times for almost every system. I actually can't think of one that had a bunch of games come out around launch. I haven't touched my system since I finished Zelda, but I fully expected that.

Then they need tiered pricing, physical priced higher than their digital counterparts. That premium fee is only pushing me away from giving anyone money.

This isn't going to happen until there's a glut of games on the eShop for The Binding of Isaac to compete with.

Just like the big discounts didn't happen on other platforms until there were tons of games.

This was pretty obvious even before it released. If you didn't want a very limited amount games to play, you probably shouldn't have bought the system so soon. By next year hopefully that'll be changed, but it's the first year of a new system, let alone one that can't rely on major 3rd party ports.

Dremorak

Banned
Its probably best to think of a switch as 3ds++ with output to tv OP. You'll get awesome nintendo exclusives, a decent amount of indies, a couple of western third party games and a huge amount of japanese third party games. For me that sounds amazing, but to each their own.

Switch already has more games after 25 days than PS4 did. It will have about as many games by the end of its second calendar month than PS4 had by the end of its fourth. And PS4 launched during the holiday season.

The double standards at play here are dazzling.

Not really a double standard at all. Look I love Nintendo but when you buy something like a PS4 even if the launch library is lackluster you know it will be getting basically ever major third party game going forward. That really takes the sting out of weak launch titles.

As someone who prefers to play indies on other devices the Switch will end up being a first party Nintendo box to me, with perhaps a couple of minor third party titles over its life. People are right to be concerned.

I don't understand this logic.

If OP is making unreasonable claims it's fine to call him out on it.
Like being frustrated that there wasn't a massive announcement less than a month after the release of the system.
3ds, vita, xbone and ps4 all got new games announced; from small to big. Switch got almost none.... not even the nes ROM collection with Disney NES games.

That does seems like a trend.

GamerJM

Banned
Didn't you guys read what I wrote? I have bought every single console on their launch week since Dreamcast. I don't want to break my streak. Yes, it does not make any sense, I know.

Still Switch is one of the most amazing piece of hardware I've ever hold in my hands and it's pretty sad for me how it is supported with software in its first year. Stupid third parties.

Don't feel stupid man, I bought the Switch for a very similar reason (except it's just Nintendo platforms since like the DS). Though I also probably would have waited for Splatoon 2, which isn't a price drop away anyways, so it's not like much would change.

EDarkness

3ds, vita, xbone and ps4 all got new games announced; from small to big. Switch got almost none.... not even the nes ROM collection with Disney NES games.

That does seems like a trend.

Exactly. On top of that, they're not even talking about the games that are announced, which is a little frustrating.

#3:

Switch_Games.png
Wii U 2

I'm only interested in Zelda, Sonic Mania and Mario Odyssey and even then I'm a bit apprehensive about Mario. Hopefully E3 brings some good news but that doesn't really help out this year's drought. Anything at E3 will probably be a ways out. C'est la vie. Port over Tropical Freeze to help fill in the gaps; ya hear me Nintendo?

Drewboy64

I'm feeling it after beating zelda. Granted, I've put 150+ hours into it, but I would like more games. I think part of it is that it's fun to play things on this hardware, so it'd be nice to see some third party games on the switch

Seik

Banned
It's only been one month with E3 being near.

I expect lots of announcements going on there.

So far it keeps me entertained, already have five games and Snake Pass, FAST and Blaster Master are tempting me a lot, then MK8, then Puyo-Tetris, then E3.

Parapraxis

I think it would be better to see up to the end of 2017 / beginning of 2018: E3 could still be too soon for some projects to be showed off. 9 months-to-1 year sounds like a better wait window to see how the console sells, how some third party titles are received, how third parties will respond, etc.etc.

Listen, as A WiiU owner I need to tell you, you are supposed to wait until DURING/AFTER E3 to start making this type of post. At least that's what history has shown me.

(after that comes "they are saving the big titles for the end of Q4") *laughing internally*

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Exactly what some of you have said: many developers have waited to see what sales look like and haven't really started developing for the system. That's what happens when you fail miserably with the Wii U. Therefore, Nintendo needs to fuel the lineup and I'm sure you'll see more of that during E3, along with more 3rd party titles.

I think Nintendo should to start acquiring companies, or at least become large shareholders in development studios.
They have the cash to do so.

If they don't want to tap into their massive 4.6 billion dollars in reserves, they could raise more by expanding their mobile offerings and maybe even releasing a SNES mini to raise capital.

legend166

If only they had a huge library of legacy games they could release in order to help with the lack of new releases.

Wouldn't that be nice?

Hurry up and announce the VC Nintendo. Can't believe they haven't said anything about it yet.

Majine

Banned
If only they had a huge library of legacy games they could release in order to help with the lack of new releases.

Wouldn't that be nice?

Hurry up and announce the VC Nintendo. Can't believe they haven't said anything about it yet.

Neo Geo games are here, yo.

ZehDon

Frankly, Switch's first year will coast from Zelda to Mario, with ports and niche titles in between. Anyone expecting anything else wasn't being realistic. It's next E3 when the realities of being an entire generation behind on hardware will begin to sink in. Zelda's nice, don't get me wrong, but the rest of the AAA gaming industry combined is also pretty sweet, and Switch won't be getting any of it.

Disagree.

Switch needs more indies getting their games physical releases, and it'll be good for the platform for them to be able to have an audience for which those experiences are the premium experiences.

Agree. I would like to see more of the top tier indies getting a physical release. Games like Snake Pass and Fast RMX could have benefited from a Physical Switch version, IMO.

Man, I guess 2d Mario games don't sell too well? They haven't announced anything or ported any of the old ones. I just wish they'd port the Wii U Mario games at least. Man, that would be huge. But I have a feeling Nintendo is going to continue to be overly precious about releasing old content. Perhaps we'll just never get those Wii U games, there is no plan.

oti

Banned
Man, I guess 2d Mario games don't sell too well? They haven't announced anything or ported any of the old ones. I just wish they'd port the Wii U Mario games at least. Man, that would be huge. But I have a feeling Nintendo is going to continue to be overly precious about releasing old content. Perhaps we'll just never get those Wii U games, there is no plan.

What? All of them sell really well. NSMBU is the second best-selling game on Wii U behind Mario Kart. Followed by Mario 3D World.

Silly thread premise aside, I do wonder how long Nintendo believes people will be satisfied with Zelda and what their plan is for people who don't care about MK8D. Maybe their plan is to not bother with them at all since it still is MK after all. A lot of people will care, regardless of its Deluxe nature. Virtual Console would be a good way to get those people over the software drought but who knows what's up with that.

Famassu

First years are always slow and I don't imagine Switch will hit its stride until Japanese devs will start abandoning 3DS & Vita (almost) completely in the next 1-2 years and move their products to Switch. Until then, I imagine Nintendo's offerings + some sparse 3rd party support on the level of Bomberman, Lego games and ports like Disgaea 5 & I Am Setsuna + a few rare bigger 3rd party games like that new SQEX JRPG + indies are most of what we'll get in the next 1-1,5 years.

I'm personally pretty happy with what 2017 holds for Switch (if there are no delays). I'll worry about 2018 & beyond when we get closer to 2018. Although a bit sparse, BOTW, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Xenoblade 2 & Super Mario Odyssey are plenty to keep me happy for this year as far as the desire for bigger, meatier experiences go and stuff like Voez & Fast RMX will be good smaller digital releases to play occasionally.

oti

Banned
Did they confirm a Pokémon game would be on the switch?
Eurogamer seems to be really confident about their rumour. That's why it's included would be my guess.

First years are always slow and I don't imagine Switch will hit its stride until Japanese devs will start abandoning 3DS & Vita (almost) completely in the next 1-2 years and move their products to Switch. Until then, I imagine Nintendo's offerings + some sparse 3rd party support on the level of Bomberman, Lego games and ports like Disgaea 5 & I Am Setsuna + a few rare bigger 3rd party games + indies are most of what we'll get in the next 1-1,5 years.

I'm personally pretty happy with what 2017 holds for Switch (if there are no delays). I'll worry about 2018 & beyond when we get closer to 2018. Although a bit sparse, BOTW, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Xenoblade 2 & Super Mario Odyssey are plenty to keep me happy for this year as far as the desire for bigger, meatier experiences go and stuff like Voez & Fast RMX will be good smaller digital releases to play occasionally.
The first year is totally fine for what I bought this thing for. Nintendo releases a lot of their biggest franchises, this Christmas I'll be playing Mario and the Zelda DLC (#bestchristmasever), I really hope DQ11 runs fine on Switch and if it does I'll definitely play it on Switch. There are still some gaps here that need closing, we'll see what E3 brings.

Even if there will be software droughts, I got enough games on other platform to play. As a secondary console the Switch is great.

jariw

Exactly what some of you have said: many developers have waited to see what sales look like and haven't really started developing for the system. That's what happens when you fail miserably with the Wii U. Therefore, Nintendo needs to fuel the lineup and I'm sure you'll see more of that during E3, along with more 3rd party titles.

How can the developers measure sales, when there are no consoles to buy?

Waji

We're still in the 6 first months so there's nothing really surprising.
Add to that the very random Nintendo communication and there you are.

We need dates and new informations for a lot of stuff already so we're all waiting for Nintendo to say something.
Now, to say if there will be new stuff before E3, no idea.
Better think there's not and things will start to boil well at Q3 and so on.

Majine

Banned
All I need is Mariokart 8 Deluxe in my veins.

Never owned a Wii U so this is like a completely new game personally.

CEJames

This year's E3 will be the proving ground for all the companies. It's cool that Nintendo gave us that diagram but I want specific dates.

Chinbo37

One of the main reasons I am not interested in the Switch is the software.

Multiplat indies I always get on PC cause I try to get most of my games on PC. For console exclusives I have a PS4. The portable part is cool but I own a 3DS and never use it outside my house.

That leaves really Nintendo produced or Switch exclusive games. And I have a stack of Wii U games I never even opened. So I feel like I am set for Nintendo games for a couple of years. Hopefully by then the software will be better but I am definitely taking a wait and see attitude.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
And as such I will also probably wait a couple years on Switch for them to release several nice original games. Worked out great for Wii U and 3DS. I'm not interested in ports, sorta-upgrade sequels, or games I can get in better quality and cheaper prices on PC. They'll probably come out with some nice stuff eventually, but it just seems like it's always a bad idea to keep yourself in the position of waiting on the newest thing from Nintendo.

Only interested in Xeno 2 and Mario Odyssey right now. So yeah, it's going to be a tough year for me and my Switch :(
You ever try Warriors games? I find them very addictive and Hyrule Warriors was one of the best. FE Warriors could be fabulous.

MoonFrog

I burned through Zelda playing it like a madman for 9 days after launch. I want to play my Switch more, so I bought BM0 to play on the side while I play games elsewhere. I considered I am Setsuna, but I'm drowning in classic JRPG to play, so it's just Zelda and Blaster Master so far.

That said, it bears noting that I burned through Zelda at a furious pace. I don't think that's the average Zelda buyer at all. So I don't think the currently limited offerings are as limited as they seem to some of us.

I also think Nintendo itself has a strong year before e3 announcements and discounting XB2 actually being 2017.

Indie support also appears to be strong.

What I think will be more or less of a problem for Switch is how much 3DS successor support it gets and how fast it starts getting it. This has been the worry since the extremely sketchy January presentation and is exacerbated by things like DQXI Switch not being shown, Switch being oddly absent in multiplatform announcements where it'd seem to fit, etc.

There are beacons on the horizon. SMT Switch. Octopath Traveler. The aforementioned DQXI. Basic excitement expressed by Japanese developers. Answers to MH questions that heavily imply Switch will see it.

I think it is going to be a slow transition for Japan--just as it was with PS4, but this has more potential to hurt Switch than it did PS4. Nintendo really needs to court and push Japanese support and fire its own engines on all cylinders until it starts coming in at least.

I'm just hoping that Switch replaces 3DS mostly in 2018; at least by holiday 2018.

Top Bottom