• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lack of new game announcements for the Nintendo Switch.

Also: get Snipperclips if you've not done so already. It's a great game that even non-video game people will get into. My GF was asking me when we'd be playing next constantly during the first 2 weeks of owning our Switch.
I have had the opposite experience. My girlfriend has an expressed disinterest in Snipperclips and I have to offer it to get us to play. Last time we played, after being stuck on a puzzle for about 20 minutes, she asked if we could stop playing. I'm probably never going to offer to play it with her again.

This has been my experience with Snipperclips with multiple people and it doesn't help that I don't really want to play it either. It's exasperated by the fact that I have the excellent Puyo Puyo Tetris demo, which everyone wants to play over it.

As for the OP, the lack of new game announcements is troubling, but Binding of Isaac will carry me for a long long time, way after I 100% Zelda.

komorebi

Am I the only one who only buys their indie games on PC? I can still play World of Goo, and I'll be able to play Stardew Valley (with mods!) for generations of consoles to come. It is the reason I stopped buying Virtual Console games, because I will keep having to rebuy them with every subsequent console.

However, I will say the portability option does change the equation a bit. That really is a value-add that the PC can't reasonably replicate.

I got rid of my PC so for me indies are all PS4 or Switch. I'd prefer the latter because indie games are less involved most of the time and that's the kind of thing I like playing in bed or when I just want to play a GAME, and not a movie script or something super complex like most big production games are these days. I still play those too of course but I can only take so much "AAA" before I get burned out.

The poster I'm responding to was listing first-party exclusive offerings, not just games in general.

In that case only Snipperclips qualifies (as being published by Nintendo), but it is better for Nintendo to be outputing games at this pace, considering they are still needing to meet demand, having all games out now would kill hype that would could be generated later on. Either way, we all just want games.

Kind of curious what happened to Pocket Rumble, it was supposed to come out this month but there's only a few days left and no word on a release date. It's a shame, the game seems fun

I'm not worried. We knew what to expect when Nintendo announced the device.

I'm just hoping we can get to a point to where when a new game is announced, the first 10 posts aren't "What about Switch" "No Switch?" Switch version plz"

Stuff like that takes time, and given the history Publishers have had on Nintendo devices, games that come to it are going to be exceptions, not the rule. That sometimes works in the publishers favor though, because I haven't heard nearly as much mention about NeoGeo classics in the last few years they've been out as I have during Switch launch.

This was another game that was announced, but no NS version. My wife was so disappointed, because she loves those games and wanted to play them on our new system. I just couldn't understand Capcom's decision on that one. It's not that the hardware couldn't run the games....

My guess is they will eventually release on the Virtual Console, but it still seems strange that this one wasn't announced. It can be ran by the Switch and it seems to fit the Switch audience well, IMO.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Perhaps I'm misremembering, but I could have sworn that most consoles have a lull in announcements and software launches in the weeks after launch. We've also still seen smaller game announcements happening each week and had that indie Direct/press release around launch, alongside steady eShop releases.

Nintendo's focus will likely be on MK8D and ARMS in the weeks leading up to E3. Nintendo is also likely reserving their bigger third-party announcements for E3. A general software Direct less than 4 weeks after launch wouldn't make much sense when they're still trying to keep Switch in stock and the system has momentum. Perhaps they could do one in a month or two, but then it's E3.

Switch is not going to be a massive reversal of fortune for Nintendo regarding third-party games unless it becomes absurdly successful and shows promising software sales. As soon as we knew that Switch's form was a tablet and power consumption was less than 20W, I think it was fair to assume that most of the biggest third-party games wouldn't hit the system unless they were coded in a highly scaleable and Switch-friendly engine (and/or had sales potential on the system like Sonic Forces). That it won't get Destiny 2, RDR2, etc. has been clear for a while.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think it would be better to see up to the end of 2017 / beginning of 2018: E3 could still be too soon for some projects to be showed off. 9 months-to-1 year sounds like a better wait window to see how the console sells, how some third party titles are received, how third parties will respond, etc.etc.

Going more on detail about this.

The system has been out for not even a month, and E3 happens in June. This means that there is a shorter time between launch to the next biggest gaming fair for third parties to judge how the platform is shaping up, compared to consoles that see their launch during end-year Holidays. Thus, it decreases the chances to see a big amount of third party announcements already at E3. Not that it's impossible: there can be projects that some third parties have been planning while waiting to see more sales datas to see if they should go through with them, and among them there can be stuff ready to be shown at E3, but I doubt there are a lot of them in such an advanced state.

Moreover, there can be third parties who are going to wait a few more months before deciding to put their efforts on Switch with small hesitation: what happened with Wii U certainly made them more cautious, so it's understandable if among them there are people who think that the first month / three months aren't enough to be sure about the platform's perspective. Also, even in the case hardware and software sales are great, I wouldn't start expecting all the major Western AAA "core" franchises to come to the platform: I feel there will still be some brands missing for several reasons (sales potential, possible technical focus on other platforms, etc. ).

Still: if the sales keep staying at good levels, and if the platforms shows to be a healthy environment overall, games will come. It's reasonable to expect a bigger effort from Japanese developers than Western ones due to the platform itself and the better relationships with the former than the latter, but I don't believe Western ones won't act at all if the environment is healthy. Also, Switch has major advantages compared to Wii in terms of hardware capabilities compared to the other platforms: those seriously limited the chances of several games coming to the platform, alongside different-nature obstacles in both the Western and the Japanese markets, but that's another story.

So, yeah, I'll say that, by E3, we won't have a clear picture about the support, while by the end of the year / beginning of 2017, we can start making more accurate / deeper considerations about the state of third party support, mainly from major developers. The wait can be frustrating (I know, I feel a bit of frustration as well in not knowing details about games like Steep, I can understand EDarkness in this), but it's the most reasonable approach to have for now. Again: if sales are good and the software environment is healthy, things will change positively. There are high chances both Lego City Undercover and Puyo Puyo Tetris will be the first two retail, multi-platform games showing how the Switch's userbase is open to non-Nintendo games, speaking of the titles coming in April.

I have had the opposite experience. My girlfriend has an expressed disinterest in Snipperclips and I have to offer it to get us to play. Last time we played, after being stuck on a puzzle for about 20 minutes, she asked if we could stop playing. I'm probably never going to offer to play it with her again.

This has been my experience with Snipperclips with multiple people and it doesn't help that I don't really want to play it either. It's exasperated by the fact that I have the excellent Puyo Puyo Tetris demo, which everyone wants to play over it.

As for the OP, the lack of new game announcements is troubling, but Binding of Isaac will carry me for a long long time, way after I 100% Zelda.

That's a total shame. I've had the same experience as the person you quoted and would also recommend it to anyone that can play co-op. My wife asks me frequently if/when we are going to play Snipperclips. She likes some games, but definitely isn't a hardcore gamer. We've had multiple sessions where we end up laughing to the point where we are near tears. Sorry you had a bad experience :(

EDarkness

if only there was a huge industry event coming up where big game announcements happen

pipe dream, i know

E3 isn't necessary to make game announcements. Again, we're getting Destiny 2 info this week.

The second part of the OP is more interesting to discuss than the first part (about how devs aren't talking about already announced Switch games, like Steep or DQ11)

....but it's unlikely the conversation will go there

I REALLY want more information on Steep. I'm dying for a new snowboarding game, and yet Ubisoft isn't talking about the game at all for some reason. Makes no sense. Not even some screenshots, or an interview, or even a trailer for the game. The damn game may as well not even exist. Same with Rayman. Why isn't that game out already?

Peltz

Snipperclips is fun as fuck dude.

So, they announced a ton of games, then didn't announce anything major for about a month and suddenly nothing was announced?

Nintendoomed!

Gator86

it's the ps3 and ps4 all over again.

It's so weird this became a thing because the PS4 library dwarfed the Xbone's virtually from launch. There were periods where the PS4 was getting two or three times as many games as the Xbone. The PS4 has no games thing was profoundly stupid.

Frodo

I think that it's better to wait for E3 and then judge

There is not much to be said, other than this.

It would be good for Nintendo to stay on the news announcing some stuff here and there to keep interest on the machine going, but right now they are better off just doing a mass reveal at E3.

redcrayon

Ah, another one of the hobby's 'circles of life'.

New console gets released.
Early adopters buy at launch and exhaust the handful of launch games they are interested in in a matter of weeks.
'Console has no games'
'Summer drought' due to drip-feed of new games.
Developers rumoured to be working on new stuff but only got dev kits relatively recently. Others rumoured to have wait-and-see attitude (or, in Nintendo's case, replace with terrible third-party relationships).
Dooooom due to pre-E3 lull.
E3 shows stuff releasing later that year.
Mild enthusiasm for a week.
More 'summer drought'. More doom. (In Nintendo's case break out the doom-prediction dial gif)
Autumn frenzy on veteran platforms that have had games in development for years.
More doom.
Games shown at E3 released.
Large influx of new console owners at Christmas full of enthusiasm, clash with now-slightly-bitter early adopters
January on Gaf. Hangovers. Doom.

You'd think people who'd bought a console/handheld before would realise how this would play out for the first year.

So, they announced a ton of games, then didn't announce anything major for about a month and suddenly nothing was announced?

I think its moreso the fact we've gotten announcements since then, and before as well, that are not coming to Switch even when it feels they may be perfect fits. There were a ton of expectations and lots of people holding out for these announcements, saying things like "Nintendo probably are making publishers withold announcing a Switch version until release" but weeks have come and gone with some pretty big game announcements that are all missing the Switch.

In other words, it's people coping with business as usual when they hoped for a change.

kennyamr

Personally I bought the Switch just for Zelda, and it didn't disappoint.

Yea, a $430 game, but it was worth it.

I'm planning to play Xenoblades 2 and Project Octopath Traveler so those are a plus.

All I want now is the implementation of the Virtual Console to (maybe) play Bayonetta 2 and the first two Xenoblades at some point. That's pretty much it.

That's all I want for my Switch, anything more than that will be just awesome.

PS4/PC will cover the rest.

Having said that, let's wait for E3! I'm seriously looking forward to that.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Then why is the Switch not getting games which are scheduled for a release later this year? That wasn't an issue for developers on X1 and PS4 initially either.

Go, figure it out. It's not because those games have been in development for 5 years. It's because publishers didn't see a market for games such as Mordor and the like on the platform.

Not entirely true. Here's a list of retail games published in 2014, specifically after February 22nd, 2014 (Japanese PS4 launch) in all territories that, while released on PS3 and Xbox 360, missed PS4 and Xbox One

Nascar 14 (Deep Silver)
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (Konami)
South Park: The Stick of Truth (Ubisoft)
Dark Souls 2 (Namco/From Software)
2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil (EA)
Grid Autosport (Codemasters)
F1 2014 (Codemasters)
Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix (Square Enix)

Certainly, not all major games, but there are notable missing releases for PS4 and One.

Also, in the recent Media Create threads, I've highlighted how PS4's first year in Japan was extremely barren in terms of Japanese third party support, both in quantity and quality of releases, following a more general trend of Japanese developers being less risky and pro-active by default than Western's.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I've actually played 1-2 Switch (also owned 1-2 Switch and I can confirm that it is indeed garbage. I also had a moderately amusing time playing it with my friends, but I would never want to play it twice.
You just contradicted yourself, you had fun with the game but its garbage....but your probably going to say you had fun with bit only because you were with your friends.....but that's the point

EloquentM

aka Mannny
This is hilarious. It's a launch console still in its launch month. You can't get anymore Nintendo is doomed than this. Wii U really scared some people. Let's look at this like a 3DS situation and wait a year please.

There have been a few game announcements since then. Not many of those games are coming to the NS.

Its better to not expect big AAA multiplats on Nintendo systems stuff like Destiny 2 and red dead redemption 2 would need to have compromises made in order to be down ported to switch its simply not powerful enough to run them on the same scale as the ps4 and xb1.

Kind of curious what happened to Pocket Rumble, it was supposed to come out this month but there's only a few days left and no word on a release date. It's a shame, the game seems fun
Pocket Rumble got my interest instantly and was so excited to get it on launch month blargh :c

That's a total shame. I've had the same experience as the person you quoted and would also recommend it to anyone that can play co-op. My wife asks me frequently if/when we are going to play Snipperclips. She likes some games, but definitely isn't a hardcore gamer. We've had multiple sessions where we end up laughing to the point where we are near tears. Sorry you had a bad experience :(
It's all good. I knew what I got myself into when I bought it, I wanted something outside of Zelda on Day 1 and when Binding of Isaac got delayed, I jumped. I did enjoy Snipperclips during the Switch tour, but then again I went out of my way to have a good time then :p

Snipperclips is fun as fuck dude.
I don't agree nor the people who I play it with. I think it's cute, though.

EDarkness

Its better to not expect big AAA multiplats on Nintendo systems stuff like Destiny 2 and red dead redemption 2 would need to have compromises made in order to be down ported to switch its simply not powerful enough to run them on the same scale as the ps4 and xb1.

Sure. Then, let's talk about the games already announced. Unfortunately, we can't do that, either. There are lots of games even on that list people keep posting that we don't know anything about. What about this Tales game? Or how about the BlazBlue game? Can't even get more info on the upcoming Skyrim game since they aren't talking about that, either. I think this is the most frustrating part for me. Can't even get hyped for games I'm interested in because no one's talking about them.

LordKano

Why is this thread even still up.
The system launched 25 days ago dammit.
Are we gonna have the same thread again in 25 days ?

I dunno, the platform has only just come out, E3 may improve things. Surprised MS isn't under more scrutiny for this kind of thing, only three major game announcements since Gamescom 2015!!

Not

Banned
Are you new to Nintendo? They traditionally wait for big media events (and up until Satoru Iwata died, direct web presentations) to announce anything substantial.

andthebeatgoeson

I'm definitely worried about 3rd parties but it is a nintendo system. Here's to E3 2018. Cuz if they didn't decide within the past 6 months, they'll miss this fall. So, it's Nintendo doing the heavy lifting for a year, which is not surprising in the least.

I will say Nintendo, if they hit splatoon 2, Mario Kart and Mario Odyssey, will do a damn good job for this first year. If they sell over 12 million before the end of the calendar year, I will give them a lot of props cuz 3rd parties are shittin the bed.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
2.5 months ago Nintendo announced/revealed: the fucking console, Zelda as a launch title, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Arms, Xenoblade 2, MK8:D and more. I only wanted to name the ones slated for 2017 (inb4 'lol Xenoblade 2017 no').

Talk about a fucking dry spell, huh?

I don't think we're going to see too much from indies for a while. A few indie devs I know are saying they can't get devkits because Nintendo has decided to restrict devkits to indies that they already have worked with previously.

Nintendo, if you want the Switch to have games, you need to let indie devs order your devkits.

#1: E3 is coming up.

#2: They just did an incredible indie showcase of upcoming games.

#3:

Switch_Games.png
This, word for word.

Mathematics

Neo Member
I just hope with the lack of announcements and announcement of announcements, the teams are spending budgets wisely and deliver a solid experience.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Nintendo screwed the Wii U badly and you still got a great library so I don't worry about Nintendo althought you have to wait for releases.

And if the system continue to sell well 3rd party will jump.

Why is this thread even still up.
The system launched 25 days ago dammit.
Are we gonna have the same thread again in 25 days ?
Yes, we will have the same thread in 25 or so days, you can count on it. Things are gonna be slow for the first few months, that's to be expected. Personally I'll be happy when Mario Kart and Disgaea 5 release on the system, those will keep me busy for a long time.

Top Bottom