• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lack of new game announcements for the Nintendo Switch.

/
has it actually been confirmed that the switch will see a main entry pokemon title?

Main entry as opposed to some battle stadium.
Nope, not confirmed. All we know is pokemon will come to Switch in some form. The Pokémon Stars rumors are pretty aolid, but obviously no one knows for sure if that is real. Don't expect pokemon to stay on 3DS for much longer though.

Papacheeks

Banned
PS4 had what?

Resogun
Killzone
Knack
Infamous Second Son?

XBox One had

Forza
???

I seriously can't remember what XB1 had first six months, but it wasn't much. Hell you could argue that PS4 didn't really have anything worthwhile until Bloodborne which came a full 2 years later.

Xbox had Ryse, Dead Rising 3, also Titanfall within first 6 months.

jorgejjvr

We are potentially getting one major game each month from the looks of things. Plus a nice sprinkle of indies. And e3 is almost here

chekhonte

Nope, not confirmed. All we know is pokemon will come to Switch in some form. The Pokémon Stars rumors are pretty aolid, but obviously no one knows for sure if that is real. Don't expect pokemon to stay on 3DS for much longer though.

I thought that too but Nintendo won't quit saying that the switch is not replacing their handhelds. Granted you'd expect them to say this until the 3ds is officially dead but I thought that would be around now.

BiggNife

Did anyone seriously expect major third party announcements for Switch? Like, of course Shadow of War isn't on Switch. The Switch most likely doesn't have the horsepower to handle the Nemesis System.

The Switch is a system for first party Nintendo games and indies. And so far, there's been a pretty solid amount of those announced. That's not counting the games that aren't official but are almost definitely happening, like Pokemon Stars, Smash Switch, and the Rabbids RPG.

Launch windows are usually terrible, especially for Nintendo systems. The lineup for the first six months of the Switch is still way better than the first six months of the DS, for example.

Astral Dog

As the weeks go on, I'm starting to wonder what everyone thinks about the lack of new game announcements for the NS. I know haters can take this idea and run with it, but if you're not into Mario Kart, what's next for you for the system? My wife and I have decided to run through LEGO City: Undercover in two player mode as an interesting exercise since we beat the game on the Wii U years ago. Doing it again in two player mode should be pretty fun.

However, as the days pass, I really wonder about what the software outlook is going to be going forward. There have been so few new game announcements for the system in recent weeks that it's starting to get a little worrying. I mean, we did get the new Seiken Densetsu announcement that will hopefully lead to something new in the future, but there are surprisingly few NS games that have been announced recently. Why games like the upcoming Radiant Historia game isn't coming to the system and is going to the 3DS (when that system can still even play the DS version) is baffling. Odds are the NS isn't getting Destiny 2, Red Dead 2, or any other big third party games. It just seems like games are getting announced all the time and almost none of them are for the NS.

What made me really think about this is when I took a look at the Japanese eShop this morning and, man, it's bad. Worse than the U.S. shop, I think. At least we've been getting some cool indie stuff, but over there the last game of note they got was King of Fighter's '94. Japanese devs aren't giving the system any love at all. No indies to fill in the gap, either. It was a little shocking since I figured Japan would have more interesting stuff flowing out fairly often. Doesn't seem to be case.

On top of that, I just fail to see why companies aren't really talking about their games on the system, either. So we know that Rayman is coming to the system, but we've seen one trailer (might be two, actually) and then it's all quiet. We know that Ubisoft is bringing Steep, but they haven't really said a peep about it. So we can't really even talk about the games we already know about, and there haven't been many announcements of new stuff, either.

I know it's a little early to get all doom and gloom and things can change in the next couple of months, but as someone not interested in Mario Kart or Arms, it's something I noticed when trying to find more information on games I may be interested in outside of Nintendo's games.

It would be nice if companies would at least throw us a bone and even tease some cool stuff or something interesting. I don't need a new game every day, but some interesting stuff to talk about or add to my wish list would be good. It'd be nice if Nintendo did a Direct that talked about upcoming 3rd party games.

What do you guys think?
Thats why you dobt buy a game system the first six months. Specially a Nintendo one. Sorry bud

Vitacat

Thats why you dobt buy a game system the first six months. Specially a Nintendo one. Sorry bud

Really? BOTW is basically the best launch game any system ever had. My PS4, XB1 and i7+n1080 gaming PC haven't been used since getting my Switch on launch day.

Astral Dog

Really? BOTW is basically the best launch game any system ever had. My PS4, XB1 and i7+n1080 gaming PC haven't been used since getting my Switch on launch day.
Yeah but he is complaining there isn't much else on the horizon.

Next wave of announcements should be at E3 in june.not much else to say

I thought that too but Nintendo won't quit saying that the switch is not replacing their handhelds. Granted you'd expect them to say this until the 3ds is officially dead but I thought that would be around now.
Nope, 3DS has another year of life in it at least. 20+ million sales in Japan is too big to ignore.

EDarkness

Well, I'm enjoying the games I've purchased, so I'm not upset about anything. Just something that I've noticed as time has gone on. Sure, it's still early in the system's life, but even forgetting the games that have been announced recently, there are still games we know are coming that devs aren't talking about at all. It would be great to get some new information on Steep, for example. We shouldn't have to wait for E3 for this.

Yeah but he is complaining there isn't much else on the horizon.

Switch already has more games after 25 days than PS4 did. It will have about as many games by the end of its second calendar month than PS4 had by the end of its fourth. And PS4 launched during the holiday season.

The double standards at play here are dazzling.

I'm guessing they'll probably have a Direct for more ARMS and Splatoon trailer/info, Indies updates/announcements, and a first party announcement or two before E3.

Peltz

Well, I'm enjoying the games I've purchased, so I'm not upset about anything. Just something that I've noticed as time has gone on. Sure, it's still early in the system's life, but even forgetting the games that have been announced recently, there are still games we know are coming that devs aren't talking about at all. It would be great to get some new information on Steep, for example. We shouldn't have to wait for E3 for this.
Welcome to being a Nintendo fan. This is what we go through every year since the 90s. It's part of the fun/frustration.

psyfi

Banned
I'm not worried, but I also think the current 2017 line up looks great. For 2018 and beyond, let's wait for E3.

sneas78

Banned
Mortal Kombat would be sweet to get .. maybe even mortal Kombat kollection.. all 3 games ohh man that would be my dream.

It seems like you're more fussed about the lack of info for already announced games. I certainly feel your pain there for sure.

PBY

Banned
As someone who owns one, I can't understand why there aren't 10+ new indies a week.

The store is shamefully limited right now (and wildly overpriced).

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I have the money for a Switch, but as a Wiiu and 3DS owner, I feel no need for the Switch. Already have BOTW, Mario Kart 8, Shovel Knight, Lego City, and Fast Racing on WiiU.

Snipperclips looks like the only thing I would go for, and I need more than that.

I really liked Splatoon, but I haven't seen enough about Splatoon 2 to make me want a new console for it. It would need a really really beefy single player to sell me on it, because multiplayer looks awfully samey.

And well see about Arms. If it can't surpass Punchout Wii, then no thanks.

I think everything will be fine after E3 announcements. I still feel like this console was originally planned for fall 2017. I honestly expected more ports to fill in the early months. Pokken, Smash 4, and maybe an RPG like TMS or XCX ports would have been great. Either way, their biggest names are making appearances on the system in the next year or two. Zelda launched, Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Fire Emblem, and the heavily rumored Pokemon Stars are all coming by the end of 2018. I'd wager Metroid and Donkey Kong are coming too. I think the Switch will be fine OP, though I do understand where you are coming from

#1: E3 is coming up.

#2: They just did an incredible indie showcase of upcoming games.

#3:

Switch_Games.png

Thats not good at all considering its all the games for 2017 and 2018. So many missed Japanese and Western third party games.

rnaud

If it bothers you so much, why do you even enter the topic?

I don't understand this logic.

If OP is making unreasonable claims it's fine to call him out on it.
Like being frustrated that there wasn't a massive announcement less than a month after the release of the system.

As someone who owns one, I can't understand why there aren't 10+ new indies a week.

The store is shamefully limited right now (and wildly overpriced).
If there were 10+ new indies every week, they would drown each other out, wouldn't sell well, and then the platform would be unattractive to developers. Also there aren't 10 new, worthwhile indies released on PS4 a week either. These things take time. Is it a little too barren right now? Yeah, but it will get better.

Thats not good at all considering its all the games for 2017 and 2018. So many missed Japanese and Western third party games.
What makes you think that is all that will release between now and the end of 2018? I can assure you there will be more first party releases in two years than what is shown on that graphic, at the very least.

Im more suprised those japanese ios/android/3ds games are not being announced for switch.

Maybe cost of carts is making the idea of a later rerelease more exciting

zelas

I don't understand this logic.

If OP is making unreasonable claims it's fine to call him out on it.
Like being frustrated that there wasn't a massive announcement less than a month after the release of the system.

If people are going to call him out then ideally they should offer rebuttals better than the many variations of "well I'm personally satisfied so your concerns are obviously unfounded OP."

Games are being announced and talked about now for other platforms, even for legacy platforms. Why do we have to have to wait for E3 JUST for Switch news? Even for games previously announced for Switch? Why is it "unreasonable" for that to be a concern? Nintendo remaining silent makes sense. Almost everyone else doesn't.

Zelda is going to last me at least 2 months and by then ill have Tetris and Mario kart (never had a Wii u and Mario kart it's one off my favorite series so I'm super excited for that). Then shortly after Skyrim which I've never played. I think I'm going to be ok with the line up.

Zoon

I'm really sad that I don't have a reason to buy a switch. From what is officialy announced there's one I might be interested in (xenoblade). On the other hand, for the franchises I'm mostly interested in (MH,Pokemon), I'd rather wait a bit more for new games rather than get 3DS ports.

Arttemis

The Switch premium prices are the only shitty thing preventing me from grabbing anything beyond Zelda. That's a bad situation for third parties to be in. $40 for the digital version of Binding of Issac?

The Switch needs good Indies without a premium fee attached.

I'll rebuy the great WiiU titles and Nintendo staples like Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon. I hope the Bayonetta games get ported, too. It'd be nice to see Mario Kart and Mario Party get Smash-treatment instead of the incestuously small gene pool they've stuck with, and Smash Party could literally be a remake of the first few games with an expanded roster and it'd be vastly better than the last few.

An expansive Switch-exclusive Pokemon game using BotW's engine... Fuuuuuuck, I want it!

I have Breath of the Wild, Binding of Isaac, Fast RMX, and Snipperclips. Next month I'm getting Puyo Puyo Tetris and Mario Kart 8. It's more gaming than I've done since Legion was released so I'm not even thinking of the future at this point, but I'd be happy with Nintendo games and upper tier indies like Hollow Knight.

The Switch premium prices are the only shitty thing preventing me from grabbing anything beyond Zelda. That's a bad situation for third parties to be in. $40 for the digital version of Binding of Issac?

Disagree.

Switch needs more indies getting their games physical releases, and it'll be good for the platform for them to be able to have an audience for which those experiences are the premium experiences.

Arttemis

Disagree.

Switch needs more indies getting their games physical releases, and it'll be good for the platform for them to be able to have an audience for which those experiences are the premium experiences.

Then they need tiered pricing, physical priced higher than their digital counterparts. That premium fee is only pushing me away from giving anyone money.

rnaud

If people are going to call him out then ideally they should offer rebuttals better than the many variations of "well I'm personally satisfied so your concerns are obviously unfounded OP."

Games are being announced and talked about now for other platforms, even for legacy platforms. Why do we have to have to wait for E3 JUST for Switch news? Even for games previously announced for Switch? Why is it "unreasonable" for that to be a concern? Nintendo remaining silent makes sense. Almost everyone else doesn't.

I'm not saying we should wait until E3. But it does feel like Nintendo has been on a tighter ship around communication with the Switch. The calendar is pretty much set in stone from here until E3 for them. Over the next few months they have Splatoon 2, MK, Arms coming out and quite a few indies. Then E3 will drop a lot of major announcements.

Of course I would love for more third parties to show their support in the next few weeks, but I didn't buy the console expecting it.

I'll rebuy the great WiiU titles and Nintendo staples like Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon. I hope the Bayonetta games get ported, too. It'd be nice to see Mario Kart and Mario Party get Smash-treatment instead of the incestuously small gene pool they've stuck with, and Smash Party could literally be a remake of the first few games with an expanded roster and it'd be vastly better than the last few.

An expansive Switch-exclusive Pokemon game using BotW's engine... Fuuuuuuck, I want it!

$4 more than the same package on Steam.

I noticed that too, Binding of Isaac is 6 dollars on steam, why the fuck are they charging 40 for the switch version? Am I missing something?

Yes.

See "The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth Complete Bundle"? That's the Switch version. You're not even looking at the same game (the original Binding of Isaac isn't on any console).

Cptkrush

I noticed that too, Binding of Isaac is 6 dollars on steam, why the fuck are they charging 40 for the switch version? Am I missing something?

bman94

Launch month hasn't even ended yet.

If anything, Nintendo is holding all of their announcements (as well as third party announcements) until E3.

Kebiinu

Banned
The OP is saying that we shouldn't have to wait for E3, for information on games already announced. Which I do agree with. On the other hand, I'm satisfied because I knew at launch, the system would have plenty of titles I would be interested in. Did you do research into the lineup before purchasing at launch, OP? You knew what you were getting yourself into, yeah?

Top Bottom