• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II announced

Ploid 3.0

tlouwolf-1280-1506460096793_400w.jpg

A dog/wolf pet?

lumi7890

Don’t think that wolf head is implying animal companion, I think it’s further hint of wild life being added to enemy roaster (the claw marks in the trailer where another hint.)it also could serve to be a duality to the moth in the last poster.

wapplew

Whats more emotional than human companion got infected? Dog will get infected in first 3 chapter, don't get too attach.

Melchiah

Don’t think that wolf head is implying animal companion, I think it’s further hint of wild life being added to enemy roaster (the claw marks in the trailer where another hint.)it also could serve to be a duality to the moth in the last poster.

Or it might refer to a betrayer among them, a nemesis, or how Ellie has become like one.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Fuck animal companions.

I'd rather a new ,speaking human character be introduced or even the return of an old one.

Worst post ever.

And they already wanted to add a dog companion in the first game so get ready to get one.

I have a theory about the story of the game. First game spoilers. Also, I make a reference to an artwork.

In the first game, Ellie and Joel found the fireflies. However, to find a cure, Ellie had to be killed. Joel got her out of the hospital and they went to live with Tommy, Joel's brother, who had a connection with the Fireflies in the past.
We know the army organizes some areas, making them secure for people.
We also know there are Fireflies who know about Ellie and the cure. Not everyone died in that hospital.
So, let's remember an artwork which showed an older Ellie playing the guitar and behind her there were people who were dressed in army armors or something like that (I don't think I used the correct word, but you get the point).
So, what if after Joel got Ellie out of the hospital, some Fireflies informed other Fireflies and the goverment or the army (whoever is in charge) about Ellie. They get organized and they start to hunt Ellie. Maybe they recognize Joel as Tommy's brother and they know where Tommy is located. Maybe they searched some areas where Ellie and Joel could be located and they found them.
They find them, but Tommy and the others try to help Ellie and Joel by fighting back. Fireflies and the army get angry, they destroy this place and kill everyone there, to get Ellie to come out. Ellie and Joel escape, but Ellie decides to get revenge from those who organized the attack and the plan to get her (just from those in charge) So, Ellie decides to "kill every last one of them". Joel disagrees, maybe he want to live a quiet life or he doesn't think Ellie could get revenge from them because of the power they have or both. So, he doesn't think "she's going to get through this".
This way, there is a reason for Ellie and Joel to start again going from place to place, Ellie's motive is to get revenge, so there is the hate, which is the theme of the game, there can be changes in how the characters percieve each other and the world around them. Also, if they start to hunt the bosses of the Fireflies, Ellie has a chance to learn about her mother. Her mother was a friend with Marlene, so there is a chance she knew other Fireflies, too.

On the wolf. I think it's another sign of dangerous animals, an animal company wouldn't be suited for a stealth approach, however, there could be another group, like brickarts295 said, with a different approach than the Fireflies' one. I still bet on it being a sign of dangerous animals.

I thought the concept art with grown up Ellie playing guitar was confirmed as fan art?

The artist said it's a fan art, but he worked with Naughty Dog for the first game and he got Ellie playing the guitar right and her clothing right (she wears short sleeve clothes, and they are similar to the trailer ones, like her shoes are).

Melchiah

I just replayed the first one, and it got me thinking about what locations I'd want to revisit in the sequel, and witness in current gen glory. The dam would certainly be on the top of the list.

It's a metaphor... Joel in the doghouse for lying to Ellie.

Seriously though for some reason I thought the dog in the poster was already discussed in detail here on GAF or in a separate topic. Anyway, looking forward to seeing ND's take on it with an animal companion if that's what it means and what they're going for. Personally think it looks like a Wolf/Husky cross. MGSV with DD shows how well it can work.

Drencrom

People talking about the Wolf imagery hinting at a "wolf/dog companion" are reading into it way wrong imo. Just look at the imagery with the tense grip of the hammer, the dark forest and fire. Doesn't exactly strike me as a hint of a loving and caring animal companion, more like a foreboding omen. Wolves symbolize instincts, survival, pack mentality and also solitude (things that very much are TLOU related).

Also, having an animal companion in TLOU would be a huge downgrade from Joel and Ellie's companionship in Part 1. TLOU is about human drama and relationships between people, not about a one-sided relationship with some animal. Y'all let your love for dogs get the better of yourselves lol

Alienous

People talking about the Wolf imagery hinting at a "wolf/dog companion" are reading into it way wrong imo. Just look at the imagery with the tense grip of the hammer, the dark forest and fire. Doesn't exactly strike me as a hint of a loving and caring animal companion, more like a foreboding omen. Wolves symbolize instincts, survival, pack mentality and also solitude (things that very much are TLOU related).

Also, having an animal companion in TLOU would be a huge downgrade from Joel and Ellie's companionship in Part 1. TLOU is about human drama and relationships between people, not about a one-sided relationship with some animal. Y'all let your love for dogs get the better of yourselves lol

You say this now, but just wait until the live demo when Ellie's wolf companion throws a brick at an enemy. The hype will get you.

Drencrom

You say this now, but just wait until the live demo when Ellie's wolf companion throws a brick at an enemy. The hype will get you.

Why would I want to be reminded of MGSV, my biggest disappointment this gen?

Nah but for real, I could see them doing a chapter thing with a temporary dog companion, but not as your main companion through the whole game.

Giraffe companion or bust
The images that popped up in my head lol.

You can have both.

UrbanRats

The dog companion makes a lot of sense.
In (Uncharted 4 spoilers)
the U4 epilogue, the even had a dog that followed you around a bit.

Top Bottom