• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Remastered (PS4) First trailer up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alienous

Dat improved ledge. Bottom is PS4.

PVxONzk.jpg

Confused and disappointed.

Not even worth the (minimal) effort.

Theecliff

Banned
Don't worry, your core will still be shaken.
Okay thanks for the heads up, brb off to erase my memory

Why are people acting like it's some sort of spoiler though? Y'all got me scared you bastards.

Confused and disappointed.

Not even worth the (minimal) effort.
Yeah I don't think a compressed YouTube screengrab is going to do the game any favours, I'd probably wait until we've seen more before jumping to conclusions.

So they've basically added some nice AA, 1080p, 60FPS and they call it 'remastered'. Yeah, it's good to hear, but with all that hype surrounding PS4's horsepower being utilized the best way possible by ND, I thought it should look MUCH better than what we saw in this teaser.

They're not going to re-do the entire engine in order to make it look like a PS4 game.

They advertised it just as you said, it's a remaster.

That being said, when I saw the video I thought someone smeared vaseline on the screen. Why was it so, err, not clear?

So, to recap Gaf's reactions to this whole thing:

Couple of months ago - 'Wait, TLOU could be coming to PS4? AWESOME"

A week ago - "Awesome, it's coming. All we need is official confirmation"

Yesterday Morning "$60? I can't double dip at that price, will wait for sale"

Yesterday Evening "1080 60fps? Oh baby I'm back in, NAUGHTY GODS"

Today "15 Seconds of footage? Is that all we get? This isn't a full remake :( , it doesn't even look that much better!"

Gaf pls.

Well, I'm part of Gaf and I've been "AWESOME" the entire time.

StuBurns

Banned

Today "15 Seconds of footage? Is that all we get? This isn't a full remake :( , it doesn't even look that much better!"

Gaf pls.
Man, who is this Gaf? Sounds like a bit of a hypocrite... Oh no.. Wait... That's not one person is it?

What a weird scene to choose. They simultaneously robbed the game of one of its most beautiful scenes whilst, by taken it out of context completely, have robbed the trailer of anything meaningful.

ButchCat

It seems they've changed the geometry of some of the buildings (repositioed). Eitherway, yeah I don't see this being worth the price tag. The improvement isn't even marginal here.

Alienous

Okay thanks for the heads up, brb off to erase my memory

Why are people acting like it's some sort of spoiler though? Y'all got me scared you bastards.

It really isn't much of a spoiler. It'll still be a moment for you, almost assuredly.

People are overreacting.

-PXG-

If this game is the culmination of all things video games, then... I really don't know what to say to that. What a hilariously stupid and hyperbolic claim. How can a serious journalist or anyone period, say something so obviously ridiculous. For fucks sake. Sure it's a good game, but everyone acts like it sucked your dick and paid all your bills at the same time. No game is ever that good. The gushing and overall ass kissing for this game, especially on GAF, is nauseating. I will never get it. Give it a rest.

leadbelly

Banned
People are seriously out of their minds if they think this doesn't look better. What were you expecting? A remake?

The imagery looked picturesque to me.

The PS3 version looks like a jagged mess in comparison.

Well, you're talking just IQ here. If it was just about IQ, well, I could play a PS2 game on an emulator at 1080p. It would look much cleaner and sharper, but it's still a PS2 game. Some people kind of expect more from a full priced game.

Having said that, they have added extra graphical details, most notably more grass and foliage. A more detailed area, like an interior or something, might give us a better idea of how much of an improvement the game is overall.

daveo42

Banned
Dat improved ledge. Bottom is PS4.

PVxONzk.jpg

The vastly improved shadowing is really helping to show the difference between the two. Now I just want a comparison of character and world textures to get a better look at that upgrade. You don't get all that much from the current footage at all.

Chabbles

Uh.. is that supposed to be impressive? I don't get it. Also 1 whole minute of accolades is beyond terrible.

Weak trailer, unfortunately.

Yep, how many times do we have to be reminded about the game winning 200 awards. Show some proper gameplay instead of coasting on the award bs.

I wouldn't be too harsh on ND/Sony for this trailer. It looks to me like it was cobbled together from spare parts in the last 24 hours. I don't think they were quite ready to unveil the game just yet, but the leaks forced their hand.

Pure speculation on my part, of course.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
False, you were in complete control of this moment in the game.
Man, it's been a while.

The differences visible here are subtle but, aside from that ledge, more difficult to appreciate due to the quality of the media. A proper 1080p high quality trailer would tell us more. Lighting on Joel seems slightly different along with his shadow. The model is also positioned differently.

Honestly, textures should see a pretty significant boost simply by using AF. They were already very nice on PS3 but lack of AF really hurt overall image quality.

coolmast3r

They're not going to re-do the entire engine in order to make it look like a PS4 game.

They advertised it just as you said, it's a remaster.

That being said, when I saw the video I thought someone smeared vaseline on the screen. Why was it so, err, not clear?
Youtube quality compression. Always ruins everything.

Darksol

If this game is the culmination of all things video games, then... I really don't know what to say to that. What a hilariously stupid and hyperbolic claim. So serious journalist or anyone period can say something so obviously ridiculous. For fucks sake. Sure it's a good game, but everyone acts like it sucked your dick and paid all your bills. No game is ever that good. The gushing and overall ass kissing for this game, especially on GAF is nauseating. Give it a rest.

Avoid The Last of Us threads if you don't want to see people loving The Last of Us.

Gestault

Gaf pls.

Various, different people's reactions.

cripterion

I surely hope the highlight of the game isn't the two protagonist chilling and looking at giraffes judging from the reactions here...

About the graphics : the only thing I can tell from this snippet is the increased resolution. What a weird trailer to showcase, but this will be bought nonetheless.

k, but seriously, we aren't performing graphics comparisons based on Youtube videos, right? Because we all know better than that. Right? We're not crazy people.

alatif113

This is a short two second scene with no context whatsoever. A person that never played the game would never expect the scene when it does occur. The only spoiler here are the people making sure to let those first timers know how significant of a scene this is by shouting "spoiler!" every two posts.

-PXG-

Avoid The Last of Us threads if you don't want to see people loving The Last of Us.

There is genuine love and appreciation and just obsessive delusion.

I came into this thread expecting, maybe, a half way decent trailer, not masturbatory garbage. I'm not the only one either.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I'll eat my beanie if that's not just separately pre-rendered.
Also, girrafes make no effects on the water as they step, are they ninjas?
I'll be keeping my sixty bucks, you talentless hacks!

Doctor Ninja

Sphincter Speaker
I am curious, how long have ND been working on this ? I don't think it was THAT long and maybe that's the reason we probably won't see much improvement.

Alienous

Yeah, but they'll be waiting for it. And the shock and impact of the contrast will be lost. It will still be a nice scene, just not as powerful.

Nein, I can confidently say.

The preceding events are too heavy to not be your focus. The meaning and worth of the scene depends heavily on knowledge of the preceding events, and the catharsis of a moment of respite and bonding.

It'll hit like a ton of bricks, regardless.

Sky Chief

The PS4 shot looks much more like a watercolor painting than a screenshot from a game. The background seems so much more full of color than the original.

I go the same impression, looks a lot like a painting. Either that or its just really blurry. I can't tell if its going to look beautiful or terrible.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Yeah I recall some artifacting being the giveaway.

I remember it being completely interactive, actually. You just walk up the ledge and Joel and Ellie admire the view for a bit while you remain in control of the camera.

Really want to play TLOU again tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom