• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us trailer + preorder goodies + boxart + multiplayer confirmed

Probably the last game I buy for my PS3, and this game certainly looks sexful. Skeptical about shoe-horned multiplayer, but doesn't matter since I doubt I'll spend more than 5 minutes on the multiplayer.

demolitio

Psssshhh, we all know Agent changed to a PS4 game a few years ago becoming the longest game in development for a console's launch. That's clearly their ace in the hole. :p

Sadly, that would be the biggest surprise ever...Pretty bad when a game still existing would be a surprise...lol

The PS3 is going out with a bang this year though. God of War and The Last of Us alone will take up a lot of my time.

iNvid02

this and gta v (because of pc delay) will prob be my last few ps3 purchases - looks like ps3 is going out with a bang for me

ArjanN

I am actually non-sarcastically excited by the door interaction. Imagine Hotline Miami-esque breaches. RADskies.

Chaos Theory was pretty good about this, where you could look under doors, open them slowly or bash them in and knock people out behind them.

Can we confirm this info?? I mean, is it legit? More curious than doubtful btw.

These Infos aren't floating on the net, but somewhere else. One source is the German GamePro Magazine and another source I'm not allowed to talk about, but is 100% legit.

I think what it means is that there is no day-night cycle, though events/segments will still indeed take places at all different times of day.

exactly.

He didn't say anything about realtime

poor word choise, sorry for that.

eh, I'm already content that the qte cutscene is your reward animation while the main challenge is in approaching the enemy in the first place.

exactly.

Chaos Theory was pretty good about this, where you could look under doors, open them slowly or bash them in and knock people out behind them.

you can do that in TLOU.

This is bullshit until source is provided.

You can call this Infos whatever you want, but i would be a total dumbass to post bullshit on GAF where many ND developers are registered and reading, including the community manager/strategist Arne. Actually, if I would be interested to post sensitive infos out of the blue, I would post how the mutiplayer looks like. I think that's the most question asked at this moment.

I can't wait for this game... Keep feeding us more information. Pretty please!

Alright then.

- the Cordyceps-Virus is not an abstruse experiment by the US Government which has been transformed then into a catastrophe.

- story about Joel & Ellie begins and ends in TLOU no matter if they life or die. If a sequel to this game is provided, it will happen without Joel & Ellie.

- you can dodge strokes from enemies in Gameplay and counter with a stroke to the stomach or distribute an uppercut. All this happens not in fast paced Uncharted style moves.

- you can only kill the infected aka clickers if you shoot them with guns or set traps and of course run/hide and seek to get away from them. You can not kill them with your fists, or the knife, bricks, sticks or whatever material in your hands.

- you have to forage for food.

- you can snipe with the Mosin-Nagant.

- first weapons Joel & Ellie start with in the campagne are
the revolver and a flick knife, just like shown in the first trailer

- cutscenes are created by a team who previously worked on Michael Bays movie Transformers: Dark of the Moon.

Tagg9

- story about Joel & Ellie begins and ends in TLOU no matter if they life or die. If a sequel to this game is provided, it will happen without Joel & Ellie.

- cutscenes are created by a team who previously worked on Michael Bays movie Transformers: Dark of the Moon.

Woah, where is this information coming from?!

T

Alright then.

- the Cordyceps-Virus is not an abstruse experiment by the US Government which has been transformed then into a catastrophe.

- you can dodge strokes from enemies in Gameplay and counter with a stroke to the stomach or distribute an uppercut. All this happens not in fast paced Uncharted style moves.

What is it then ?

EDIT: Nevermind. Most likely typing error from your part. I should stop visiting this thread... I'd rather play the game without any knowledge of whats going to happen!

-you can only kill the infected aka clickers if you shoot them with guns or set traps and of course run/hide and seek to get away from them. You can not kill them with your fists, or the knife, bricks, sticks or whatever material in your hands.

Isn't this contradictory to the reveal trailer which showed Ellie stabbing an infected person to death with a knife?

Edit: Never mind, I remembered it wrong.

Ricky_R

Woah, where is this information coming from?!

I remember reading something about TLoU being a self contained story with no ties to possible sequels.

EDIT: Can't link the site. Probably banned.

Creative director Neil Druckmann went on to assure gamers that The Last of Us will be a self-contained experience that serves up a satisfying ending.

The story is self-contained. The story stands on its own. We don’t end on a cliffhanger. The characters and the journey they go through ends with this story.

Isn't this contradictory to the reveal trailer which showed Ellie stabbing an infected person to death with a knife?

She just stabbed the thing. Then Joel blew its head off.

I thought the cut scenes were done by ND, Same method as UC?

Same method as UC.

Wait, what? Why would they outsource their in-engine cutscenes? Don't they have dedicated teams whose entire jobs is to create them at ND?

They are not outsourcing it. Team is sitting with ND in the office.

Spill it.

01laugh.gif

Secretarial Dog said:
How does it happen then?

You have a free punch-system in TLOU. It's like Fight Night. You can block punches from enemies whenever you want in a fight, no Quicktime.
Like I posted earlier, Quicktime Events are only presented in cutscenes. An actual example from the Game: Some enemie trashes you trough a window. Image gets blurry, Joel is looking for something to serve as a weapon. He sees a shard of glass from the window, a Quicktime Event prompts up and if you press at the right time, Joel would ram it down the enemies throat. This is how Quicktime Event works in TLOU.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So here are a couple mechanics questions, non spoilery. I'm just curious after seeing the gameplay demo. As it might color my opinion about mp...

Was that a real (resident evil style) quickturn I saw in the video?

Can Joel switch shoulders while aiming?

I think it was confirmed once that the player can initiate stealth/crouching, (that it isn't entirely dependent on context like it is in Uncharted) but can you confirm this?

Was that a real (resident evil style) quickturn I saw in the video?

yes.

Can Joel switch shoulders while aiming?

yes.

I think it was confirmed once that the player can initiate stealth/crouching, (that it isn't entirely dependent on context like it is in Uncharted) but can you confirm this?

You can crouch whenever you want to, unlike Uncharted. You just have to press a button.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Thanks, man.

Awesome news. Those things make a huge difference in MP... finally a quick turn!

Revven

Secretarial Dog, I have a Q.

How open are the environments? We've only seen so much of the game. Are there multiple paths you can take to reach the goal? Are there multiple routes to tackle a combat scenario? They only demo'd one area which had like two ways to tackle the building, but they didn't show more than two ways. Can the player be really creative and free? Or no?

Ricky_R

Use me as your scapegoat eh!?

hahah my apologies.

You have a free punch-system in TLOU. It's like Fight Night. You can block punches from enemies whenever you want in a fight, no Quicktime.
Like I posted earlier, Quicktime Events are only presented in cutscenes. An actual example from the Game: Some enemie trashes you trough a window. Image gets blurry, Joel is looking for something to serve as a weapon. He sees a shard of glass from the window, a Quicktime Event prompts up and if you press at the right time, Joel would ram it down the enemies throat. This is how Quicktime Event works in TLOU.

So if you don't press the button at the right time, will you have another chance, will another sequence take place or will the sequence stop and resume as a melee fight?

Top Bottom