• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us trailer + preorder goodies + boxart + multiplayer confirmed

jett

D-Member
There were scenes in UC3 where they used "cutscene quality" rendering during the game itself. I remember there were few, but one near the very end of the game where you're holding by one hand is what I can come up with on top of my head.

You're right about facial animation though, that's never been as good in realtime cutscenes.

I'm convinced they render all this stuff using their engine on PS3, image quality is still the same, the question is just at what framerate and how much memory each cutscene uses up. The most I've seen of them demonstrating this stuff running in real time is a report on IGN that said they had an interactive flythrough that first trailer of UC2.

Sure they use their engine...but they use 8 PS3s to render the cut-scenes.

http://twitter.yfrog.com/gz91aafwj

:p

delta25

Banned
Many games have done this, from FPP to racing games already.

yes, but not anywhere near that detailed.

edit:
In most games blood hitting the screen just appears once you hit or shoot someone/something, never have I seen a game where you physically see the shit coming at the screen.

jett

D-Member
Probably missing something obvious, but why should they?

Their cutscenes look great to me, and the real time stuff is almost peerless on console. Its not like the difference is so large that its distracting when it switches between them, to me at least.

I would say it's not too distracting in the Uncharted games, especially in the first one. In UC2 it's the video compression that distracts actually(and the exaggerated sub-surface scattering, compared to gameplay). They definitely have taken things way beyond UC3 in Last of Us, to me the characters are bordering on CGI, the "illusion" of gameplay and cut-scenes belonging together is lost to me. The cut-scenes looks simply spectacular in TLoU. Hell someone asked if that picture of Ellie with the bow was concept art.

To answer your why should they, well maybe they've improved things here, but in the Uncharteds there's a very clear, obvious break whenever gameplay ends and a video starts playing. Seamless melding gameplay and a cut-scene together can only be done in real-time, and the effects of that can be quite effective. MGS4, for all its problems, experimented really well with this.

My original question was more of a simple graphical curiosity, see what kind of graphical difference there would be if they actually bothered to do them in real-time, for no reason whatsoever really. :p

Found a slightly larger version of the Tess artwork on Annie Wersching's twitter account

x2_fffe09boxos5.jpg

beast786

I still remember how one of the big issues with early PS3 games were long long loading times. Then uncharted came with 0 loading during the game.

NateDrake

I still remember how one of the big issues with early PS3 games were long long loading times. Then uncharted came with 0 loading during the game.

Yeah, but that first load was a long one to start the game. Wasn't Jak and Daxter one of the first PS2 games to not have loading screens during the game, too?

jett

D-Member
I still remember how one of the big issues with early PS3 games were long long loading times. Then uncharted came with several minutes of loading time every time you boot up the game.

Fixed. I hope they this one just has a mandatory installation.

beast786

Yeah, but that first load was a long one to start the game. Wasn't Jak and Daxter one of the first PS2 games to not have loading screens during the game, too?

Fixed. I hope they this one just has a mandatory installation.

True, especially if you only wanted to play a particular chapter.

no loading during those long sitting really helped getting into the world of uncharted. I think (small)part of the reason i finished all the games in the series in couple of sitting because you are always connected.

ascii42

Yes, it is in the Guinness Book of World Records for having "the first seamless 3D world in a console game"

I would say it's not too distracting in the Uncharted games, especially in the first one. In UC2 it's the video compression that distracts actually(and the exaggerated sub-surface scattering, compared to gameplay). They definitely have taken things way beyond UC3 in Last of Us, to me the characters are bordering on CGI, the "illusion" of gameplay and cut-scenes belonging together is lost to me. The cut-scenes looks simply spectacular in TLoU. Hell someone asked if that picture of Ellie with the bow was concept art.

To answer your why should they, well maybe they've improved things here, but in the Uncharteds there's a very clear, obvious break whenever gameplay ends and a video starts playing. Seamless melding gameplay and a cut-scene together can only be done in real-time, and the effects of that can be quite effective. MGS4, for all its problems, experimented really well with this.

My original question was more of a simple graphical curiosity, see what kind of graphical difference there would be if they actually bothered to do them in real-time, for no reason whatsoever really. :p

Fair enough. I've always been terrible at noticing graphical inconsistencies like tearing, moderate frame drops, sub-HD and the like, so the cutscene/gameplay discrepancy has never bothered me this gen

I wish they went with someone less butch then her.

Now that response I can definitely agree with :D

Endo Punk

That dog slap never gets old.

I caved and saw the trailer, loved it but in the new year I am going to make sure I don't over expose too many games for myself, and I have a lot I am looking forward to and want to be surprised when I play.

Noticed that ND aged Joel and made Ellie look even younger. By the time it releases Joel will be grey and holding a baby.

Brand and size please. Also, what picture filter? Natural? Vibrant, etc.?

Sharp. 46". No filter. I went through great lengths to calibrate my TV; cell phone grabs just don't do the picture justice, TV is two years old and I still love it. I've had two Samsungs, and yet the cheaper Sharp has been the best.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Annie Wersching? Really? Wow, I remember her from 24.

She's cute.

Who else is in the cast?

I never watched 24 so I didn't know her by name... looked up some pics though, she is really attractive.

Freckles = lovely

Just for curiosity's sake...I wonder what would ND's cut-scenes look like if they actually rendered them in real-time. :p That picture above is really beyond the PS3. I think with each game they release they give less fucks about making the cut-scene visuals look on par with the gameplay.
They should be able to make them look pretty good in real time. I mean Beyond for example renders everything in real time and I personally think it looks even a tiny bit better then the ND cutscenes. The picture is not as clean obviously, but the texture resolution and other stuff is damn good and comes pretty close to the cutscenes in the TLoU or is even better in some instances.
I think they stick to pre-rendered just because it allows them to hide the loading.

A hardened survivor living in one of the last remaining quarantine zones, Tess operates in the black market of a city under martial law. Partners with Joel, they have become known within the criminal underworld for their ruthlessness. Street smart and confident, Tess is a savvy strategist and negotiator. Her ability to generate intelligent plans to secure the contraband for their trade is second to none.

Tess and Joel subscribe to the same dog-eat-dog philosophy. They survive by being willing to do what others can’t or won’t. Her trust in and loyalty towards Joel runs deep. However, secretly, she questions whether Joel shares the same emotions that she feels for him.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/12/14/the-last-of-us-new-survivor-tess-background-details/

1ndqfa.png

2t7pnq.png

38mr7q.png

43xrnk.jpg

jett

D-Member
The amount of polygonal detail in those pics too much. I wonder if they're tessellating their characters for the cut-scenes. Frankly I would never mistake that for real-time.

They should be able to make them look pretty good in real time. I mean Beyond for example renders everything in real time and I personally think it looks even a tiny bit better then the ND cutscenes. The picture is not as clean obviously, but the texture resolution and other stuff is damn good and comes pretty close to the cutscenes in the TLoU or is even better in some instances.
I think they stick to pre-rendered just because it allows them to hide the loading.

Uncharted 2 and 3 don't load during cut-scenes(once you're past the first initial load). I'm guessing they pre-render so they don't have to load the data for the cut-scenes(animation, assets, etc), along with being able to make them look better. Surely they would give a better explanation, but nobody asks them. :p

Beyond does looks pretty great.

Ellie-Bow-600x337.png

Just for curiosity's sake...I wonder what would ND's cut-scenes look like if they actually rendered them in real-time. :p That picture above is really beyond the PS3. I think with each game they release they give less fucks about making the cut-scene visuals look on par with the gameplay.
I don't think the actual cutscenes look as good as some of the screen shots. There is an amount of shimmering and jaggiest you get in the game that is in the cutscenes as well

Does that come in higher resolution?

You'll be able to find it here once the Flickr account updates

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/12/25/happy-holidays-from-naughty-dog-2/

x2_10156e67yvjwm.jpg

And that's a #mocap wrap on me/Tess! #TheLastofUs @Neil_Druckmann @TheVulcanSalute @TroyBakerVA

http://twitter.com/Wersching/status/280921173724917762

a-ryijtciaagg7pvtjz3.jpg

And that's a wrap. Captured the last of the cinematics today. The end is near. #thelastofus

http://twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/282304148408508416

Goldenhen

I don't think there will be digital version because the game likely to be around 50GB just assuming all the cutscenes will fill up the remaining space after game data.

Top Bottom