• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us trailer + preorder goodies + boxart + multiplayer confirmed

Amir0x

Banned
Something missing in UC3. I wonder what else they'll do to add replay value. I doubt it'll be tweaks like in Uncharted. I really hope stealth is actually viable in this game unlike (surprise, surprise) Uncharted 3. I'd definitely want to do a stealth-only run, except for the scripted parts of course.

I hope stealth is viable, but I also hope the DEATH is viable. I want there to be real, palpable tension via difficulty and death. If they can deliver this, I'll be really pleasantly surprised. Because of my past experiences with their games, though, I'll hold off getting excited. A survival game without tension is, after all, worthless.

Ricky_R

You know, now I wish I had not watched the trailer, they said they tried to keep it as spoiler free as possible but that last part
where Ellie is pointing a gun at an apparently red-eyed Joel screams to me that he's been infected and she has to kill him...
Read at your own leisure though but I'm fairly sure someone earlier in the thread mentioned it already because it seems to be the most obvious conclusion.

Arne shot down that "prediction".

I hope stealth is viable, but I also hope the DEATH is viable. I want there to be real, palpable tension via difficulty and death. If they can deliver this, I'll be really pleasantly surprised. Because of my past experiences with their games, though, I'll hold off getting excited. A survival game without tension is, after all, worthless.
The one gameplay video I spoiled myself into watching got me a bit unsure on this with how Ellie acted like a "get out of jail free" card. Hopefully this isn't always the case.

Tagg9

Yeah... I don't think they would gamble an ending like that by using such an important scene like that as the closing of the trailer.

Hard to know. As long as they get you to buy the product, companies in the entertainment space today don't seem to care about revealing too much in promotional material.

HardRojo

Yeah... I don't think they would
gamble an ending like that by using such an important scene like that as the closing of the trailer.

I wasn't exactly thinking that'd be the ending but
you'd probably end up playing as Ellie during the last chapters of the game
, it could happen, I don't know and I don't really want to know more or keep speculating about the story, I just want to play the damn game ASAP :(

Ricky_R

Hard to know. As long as they get you to buy the product, companies in the entertainment space today don't seem to care about revealing too much in promotional material.

I understand, but for some reason, I think ND is too loyal and passionate about their games to do something like that. I can be wrong of course.

I wasn't exactly thinking that'd be the ending but
you'd probably end up playing as Ellie during the last chapters of the game
, it could happen, I don't know and I don't really want to know more or keep speculating about the story, I just want to play the damn game ASAP :(

Ohhh... Well that might be possible, and to be honest, I hope so. hehe

EDIT: Tagg can you please spoiler tag my quote? You too Hard, please.

Amir0x

Banned
The one gameplay video I spoiled myself into watching got me a bit unsure on this with how Ellie acted like a "get out of jail free" card. Hopefully this isn't always the case.

The video where she tosses the brick at someone to get their attention away from Joel? That didn't seem too much like a "get out of jail free" card, but I guess it depends on how frequently she does stuff like that. I dunno, like I said, I don't have much faith.

I just hear "survival" game, and the first priority I think of is tension. And the only way tension arrives in games is if there is real danger, and that means frequent deaths. So I will continue to watch for impressions as game day approaches to get a sense for how they will handle this. Arne once said that 'dying sucks' and that's why they made Uncharted series a hold-your-hand snooze fest, so I hope that philosophy begins and ends with that franchise :p

RibMan

ND earned my trust with UC2 so the inclusion of the MP doesn't both me, in fact if it has the same care and attention put into it like UC2 then I'll definitely play for hours on end.

If anyone thinks MP means the SP will be in trouble.... just stop, please stop. Naughty Dog, nuff said.

My thoughts exactly. The inclusion of multi-player didn't hurt UC2/UC3's single-player campaigns. Come to think of it, I ended up spending as much if not more time playing multi-player.

Given the post-apocalyptic setting, I think an objective-based multi-player could work wonderfully.

Grim1ock

Banned
I am beginning to have second thoughts about this game. It looked like a survival game with alot of tension and danger in the beginning

Now i am getting that stupid action adventure theme through the trailors.

From resident evil 2 to some friggin generic third person shooter number 1234

ND

am disappoint

Ricky_R

I am beginning to have second thoughts about this game. It looked like a survival game with alot of tension and danger in the beginning

ND

am disappoint

Really?

prwxv3

ND

am disappoint

ND called it survival action from the begging.

ND

am disappoint

It was never a straight up survival horror game.

ND

am disappoint

whine.gif

literally only one shot fired in the entirety of the last trailer. lol have fun being disappoint.

Man

I just hear "survival" game, and the first priority I think of is tension. And the only way tension arrives in games is if there is real danger, and that means frequent deaths. So I will continue to watch for impressions as game day approaches to get a sense for how they will handle this.
While I'm not sure frequent deaths needs to be a part of that (though if so then play on the hardest difficulty outright) there's four aspects that highlight the survival aspect in TLOU:
1) Backpack menu is realtime. Nothing is actually paused when entering it.
2) Health does not regenerate. Need medical attention.
3) Many items need to be crafted.
4) Supplies are apparently very limited. You need to make every shot count, scrape together whatever you can find.

That gif hahahahaha! And yeah man there was just one shot, it's not gonna be a bulletfest like Uncharted, resource management really matters in this game.

I'd like to hope that the 'Make every shot count' line in the trailer actually does apply during the gameplay too. I know I'll be aiming for a full stealth run if possible, but if it comes to it I'd love to have that feeling of 'oh god what's the most effective way to get out of this situation using as little resources as possible.'

Amir0x

Banned
While I'm not sure frequent deaths needs to be a part of that (though if so then play on the hardest difficulty outright) there's four aspects that highlight the survival aspect in TLOU:
1) Backpack menu is realtime. Nothing is actually paused when entering it.
2) Health does not regenerate. Need medical attention.
3) Many items need to be crafted.
4) Supplies are apparently very limited. You need to make every shot count, scrape together whatever you can find.

I've read about those aspects, which is why I'm still paying attention. I want to believe they can make a game that poses real tension, I just can't have "faith" that they can until they do it. I can therefore only judge them by past games.

Really I hope weapons/ammo is so thin that avoiding an encounter is the difference between life and death.

Re: On death...

Without death, there's no sense of imminent threat from surroundings or enemies. As soon as the player "snaps" into that fact, everything becomes a bore. I know some people didn't feel that way, but I was practically sleeping through every Uncharted 3 set piece because I knew the game would basically just force me through these segments without me even having to do much of anything. Death was basically non-existent. If you have these amazing set pieces that LOOK cool but don't actually pose a threat, imo you're undercutting what those scenes are supposed to be about. If you're being chased by a river of water, in other words, that water better be able to kill me. Otherwise it's just a barely interactive cutscene.

FUSE and BioShock Infinite marketers, take note: THIS is how you do a cover.

- Skyline perspective angle draws focus to the characters
- There is a grizzled white guy with a gun, but he's not dominant in the composition
- Facial expressions sell the desolate mood of the game
- Composition and eyelines imply that you are there in the flooded city with the two people looking at you as if you're part of their group, drawing you into the game's setting
- Left-aligned text stands out among all the centre-aligned covers

Amir0x

Banned
FUSE and BioShock Infinite marketers, take note: THIS is how you do a cover.

- Skyline perspective angle draws focus to the characters
- There is a grizzled white guy with a gun, but he's not dominant in the composition
- Facial expressions sell the desolate mood of the game
- Composition and eyelines imply that you are there in the flooded city with the two people looking at you as if you're part of their group, drawing you into the game's setting
- Left-aligned text stands out among all the centre-aligned covers

They should also put COMPOSED BY Gustavo Santaolalla somewhere on the box because he is just that fucking awesome. Almost worth a buy for him alone! I mean, can this guy be any more amazing?

But yeah I agree, very attractive box art.

ND's planning to make us cry with this game, I guarantee it.
Well, that depends if their writing is strong enough (like TWD). Going by their past games it probably won't be the case unfortunately. They can execute very well, but the actual stories are pretty bad.

I expect either a supernatural twist at the end or Ellie is the cure for some reason and Joel has to sacrifice himself at the end or something...

I hope to be proven wrong though.

Amir0x

Banned
Well, that depends if their writing is strong enough (like TWD). Going by their past games it probably won't be the case unfortunately. They can execute very well, but the actual stories are pretty bad.

I expect either a supernatural twist at the end or Ellie is the cure for some reason and Joel has to sacrifice himself at the end or something...

I hope to be proven wrong though.

A supernatural twist? I mean, everyone in the game turns into giant walking mushroom head monster thingies, I'm guessing they already crossed a line that is as close to supernatural as it gets without actually hitting it. I mean if they decided to have ghost mushroom head creatures, would it really be that far of a toss? ;)

I agree with you though on the writing. But at this point I only expect the worst in videogame writing, so it won't really disappoint me if it blows in that aspect. As long as the game is tense and has good mechanics, I'm in. I don't care for a game to make me "cry" anyway :p

Derrick01

Banned

ND

am disappoint

Resident Evil 2 was only survival horror because of it's frighteningly bad controls. So Last of Us should be good on that front. The limited supplies, crafting system and human AI seems deep enough to make it interesting.

Mikey Jr.

I remember watching Pach Attack and he mentioned why they put titles on the top of the boxes.

Its because at game stores, like Gamestop for instance, they stack games so a couple inches of the top of the game shows, enough for the titles (which is true). So when people are browsing, they can see the titles, and ask for it rather than just seeing some random colour and passing by it.

Also, blue and orange draws the eyes of people who are browsing the games.

Now, I love the cover. But I don't think they are doing themselves any favours with it. Would they sell more copies? I have no idea how much of a difference it makes, but even a few extra thousand would be great.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So I got a question. I pretty much black out most of these games that I'm interested in since publishers like to put WAY too much out after the initial reveal.

How well would someone with a weak constitution handle this? For example, I can watch Alien, but I was unnerved by the 'slippery wet guys' in UC1, the blue guys in 2 were only scary when i saw them jumping around, and the guys in 3 were laughably not scary. But like I could never finish the first Condemned, but I did finish Dead Space 2.

How much is this game playing up horror?

Amir0x

Banned
So I got a question. I pretty much black out most of these games that I'm interested in since publishers like to put WAY too much out after the initial reveal.

How well would someone with a weak constitution handle this? For example, I can watch Alien, but I was unnerved by the 'slippery wet guys' in UC1, the blue guys in 2 were only scary when i saw them jumping around, and the guys in 3 were laughably not scary. But like I could never finish the first Condemned, but I did finish Dead Space 2.

How much is this game playing up horror?

Without really ruining anything IN the game... here is a view of the main monster type from the game in the form of a statue from Naughty Dog Studios. It's pretty gruesome.

That said, the monsters don't seem too horrifying to me yet, but the harsh nature of actual combat with other humans makes me recoil a bit more than anything else. Like there's this part where Joel hits someone in the head with, like, a hammer, and that shit FELT painful to me. I like that stuff though...your mileage may vary.

But the game seems to take the violence VERY seriously, it's almost gratuitously detailed. In one of the early trailers, after Joel gets smashed in the face and knocked to the ground, you can literally see the blood from his nose leaking UPWARD on his face. It was remarkable detail.

Are people still mad at multiplayer's inclusion? If it doesn't take away from the main game (i.e. Uncharted 2/3), then I don't see why not. Plus, playing a multiplayer match in the new post-apocalyptic world Naughty Dog created could be pretty damn cool.

What are you blabbing about Amirox, are you forgetting the million rocket launchers mixed with snipers simultaneously crashing down on Drake with heavily armored shotgunners flanking you throughout half the game or do you just remember the set pieces?

Uncharted games are very hard during the combat sequences (which make up half the game) and TLoU has minimal set pieces and puzzles therefore the combat situations will be the bulk of the game and that's ignoring the crushing setting. Did you even play the game or did you just youtube it like you did Heavy Rain?

stryke

Just watched a trailer analysis by IGN. It appears the people at IGN don't know that fungi and viruses are completely different things.

Yagharek

Just watched a trailer analysis by IGN. It appears the people at IGN don't know that fungi and viruses are completely different things.

I'm pretty sure they learnt their biological knowledge from other videogames so dont be too surprised/concerned.

Anyway, as someone who strongly disliked UC3 but loved UC2 I have been pretty disinterested in this game til today. Just had a look at the trailer and it does look very impressive from a technical and atmospheric sense.

Definitely going to have a look at it properly next year.

Amir0x

Banned
What are you blabbing about Amirox, are you forgetting the million rocket launchers mixed with snipers simultaneously crashing down on Drake with heavily armored shotgunners flanking you throughout half the game or do you just remember the set pieces?

Uncharted games are very hard during the combat sequences (which make up half the game) and TLoU has minimal set pieces and puzzles therefore the combat situations will be the bulk of the game and that's ignoring the crushing setting. Did you even play the game or did you just youtube it like you did Heavy Rain?

The only time the combat isn't comically exploitable is if you crank to the hardest difficult setting, and even then there are really only two spots in all of Uncharted 2 and 3 that are anything other than nauseatingly simple if you simply understand how to use cover spots and have the ability to recognize when the extremely clumsy A.I. is going to try to flank you.

And even then, by your own words, that is "half the game", so even if I gave you that the combat was some extremely difficult thing (it isn't) the other half of the game is play-itself hand-holdy nonsense of the tenth degree. Anyway, I hardly feel like revisiting why Uncharted series is heavily flawed. I was merely saying why I have to remain skeptical about future Naughty Dog projects like this when it comes to difficulty and tension. I am watching out for it, because it seems to have good ideas, but I just can't be confident because unlike many I don't consider ND a particularly special developer.

Also, your comment about Heavy Rain is extremely offensive. If you cannot address points raised, don't bother trying to pander to your ridiculous perspective on that game. I wrote an extremely detailed review on the title, which you can read here, have gone into excruciating details the problems with the game, and you can check my trophies on my Amir0x PSN account. Please note that most of the trophies were received on February 26, 2010, only three days into the release month for the title. Stop embarrassing yourself because you cannot admit how horrific the writing is in that game

I really want to know if joel can drag dead bodies. I think that is pretty essential for stealth games.

And I have reservation about limited ammo thing. Usually in a game that have limited ammo. I end up adjusting my playstyle to use ammo as little as possible and what it does in the end is I end up with pretty huge amount of ammo.

Stillmatic

Regarding MP I'd really love a 'Hide and Seek' type mode (call it Savage Vs Survivor, or something). Kind of like one of the game-types in MGO, but different. There may be something else out there like this that I don't know of, but anyway...

- 2 Teams:
Savages have a gun with limited ammo and can use melee weapons.
Survivors get melee weapons only (to prevent people just running around shooting each other), but can pick up a gun from dead Savages

- Round based:
Teams alternate between Savages and Survivors
Time limit on each round.

- Goal:
Savages, Kill or capture the survivors. More XP the earlier the other team is dead or captured. To encourage capture, they accumulate more XP the longer they have someone captured.
Survivors, Stay alive until time runs out, or as long as you can. Or take the Savage team out. More XP the longer your team survives, or releasing you captured teammates.

Capturing or releasing a survivor takes time to tie-up/undo, like planting a bomb in CoD. Leaving you vulnerable to attack.

Savages get rope to tie up survivors, but only get enough tape to cover the mouth of 1 survivor. Use that tape, your next capture can yell out every now and then when tied up for help. Savages could use that to their advantage (or risk them being rescued and the other team now having a player back in the game).

If they kept single player elements in this like tapping walls (don't even know if you can do that in SP?) or throwing bricks to distract the other team, you could get some nice tactics. Luring people out while a teammate flanks or sneaks up behind with a pipe or something.

There's probably a massive hole in this game-type I'm missing, but you get the idea.

It's probably just me, but I'd fall in love with a MP game-type like that. I just think MP in TLOU needs to be a bit different.

Amir0x

Banned
Regarding MP I'd really love a 'Hide and Seek' type mode (call it Savage Vs Survivor, or something). Kind of like one of the game-types in MGO, but different. There may be something else out there like this that I don't know of, but anyway...

- 2 Teams:
Savages have a gun with limited ammo and can use melee weapons.
Survivors get melee weapons only (to prevent people just running around shooting each other), but can pick up a gun from dead Savages

- Round based:
Teams alternate between Savages and Survivors
Time limit on each round.

- Goal:
Savages, Kill or capture the survivors. More XP the earlier the other team is dead or captured. To encourage capture, they accumulate more XP the longer they have someone captured.
Survivors, Stay alive until time runs out, or as long as you can. Or take the Savage team out. More XP the longer your team survives, or releasing you captured teammates.

Capturing or releasing a survivor takes time to tie-up/undo, like planting a bomb in CoD. Leaving you vulnerable to attack.

Savages get rope to tie up survivors, but only get enough tape to cover the mouth of 1 survivor. Use that tape, your next capture can yell out every now and then when tied up for help. Savages could use that to their advantage (or risk them being rescued and the other team now having a player back in the game).

If they kept single player elements in this like tapping walls (don't even know if you can do that in SP?) or throwing bricks to distract the other team, you could get some nice tactics. Luring people out while a teammate flanks or sneaks up behind with a pipe or something.

There's probably a massive hole in this game-type I'm missing, but you get the idea.

It's probably just me, but I'd fall in love with a MP game-type like that. I just think MP in TLOU needs to be a bit different.

I think you'd have to really underpower the survivors here to make the mode not devolve into a basic killmatch, though. Like just give survivors a pistol with one bullet a piece or something, and have misdirection items like smoke bombs, flash bangs, etc.

jett

D-Member
Do you see this Shit?!

the blood splatter doesn't just appear on the screen., it flew from that guy's face to the camera lens, along with his spit.

NEXT GEN IS HERE!!!!!

This game is crazy. If it got delayed I wouldn't mind one bit, I want the most polished experience possible.

ND

am disappoint

death-lvl-actors-studio.gif

Top Bottom