• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us trailer + preorder goodies + boxart + multiplayer confirmed

cameron

Nice.

For those sensitive to spoilers, since it talks about Tess and Ellie, there are some minor story stuff in the article and video (part of was already shown in the VGA trailer).

Never heard of Annie Wersching 'til today. From that brief mocap session clip, she seems like a decent actress. Doesn't come off as simply reading lines or overacted.

jett

D-Member
Ellie-Bow-600x337.png

Just for curiosity's sake...I wonder what would ND's cut-scenes look like if they actually rendered them in real-time. :p That picture above is really beyond the PS3. I think with each game they release they give less fucks about making the cut-scene visuals look on par with the gameplay.

Mik_Pad

Banned
Ellie-Bow-600x337.png

Just for curiosity's sake...I wonder what would ND's cut-scenes look like if they actually rendered them in real-time. :p That picture above is really beyond the PS3. I think with each game they release they give less fucks about making the cut-scene visuals look on par with the gameplay.
Aren't some cutscenes in U2 or U3 in real time?? I may be wrong (I am always wrong lol).

jett

D-Member
Aren't some cutscenes in U2 or U3 in real time?? I may be wrong (I am always wrong lol).

They aren't really proper, full-blown cut-scenes like the regular ones, and even then every single element is downgraded, even the facial animation isn't as good.

CREMSteve

Ellie-Bow-600x337.png

It's rendered in realtime on the PS3, that's all I really care. CG always bugged the hell out of me, this is the perfect balance. You get the fantastic quality of CG, but rendered in realtime, I'm not sure I see an issue here.

Mik_Pad

Banned
It's rendered in realtime on the PS3, that's all I really care. CG always bugged the hell out of me, this is the perfect balance. You get the fantastic quality of CG, but rendered in realtime, I'm not sure I see an issue here.
Yeah, I never had any issue transitioning from cutscene to gameplay it may not be a 1:1 parity but it isn't far from it.

I think the game that handles this better is GoW.

UrbanRats

Isn't the point that they're actually not? It's why you can't see custom models in cutscenes, in Uncharted 2.
I mean i don't care that much beacuse in Uncharted the transiotion is fairly elegant (although you do notice it), but i hope they didn't over did it, here.

jett

D-Member
IIRC, ND said that they use in-game assets that are then embellished via better AA, DoF, shadows and above all, lighting (added sources). So while everything is in-engine it's not real time.

Uncharted 3's cut-scene models also have four times the texture resolution.

i-Lo

Uncharted 3's cut-scene models also have four times the texture resolution.

Really!

Heck then I must commend ND for their in-game version that looks so very similar. I think the gap between cutscene character detail and playable character detail was the least in the U3.

jett

D-Member
Really!

Heck then I must commend ND for their in-game version that looks so very similar. I think the gap between cutscene character detail and playable character detail was the least in the U3.

...well you rarely if ever see those character models up-close during gameplay.

xray49er

Anybody Know if sony mentioned this will be downloadable on day 1. My blu ray drive just died and i dont really want to get it fixed or buy a new one just to play this game.

CREMSteve

Anybody Know if sony mentioned this will be downloadable on day 1. My blu ray drive just died and i dont really want to get it fixed or buy a new one just to play this game.

That would be a HUGE download. Exclusives typically come close to, or in some instances, actually fill a BD.

ascii42

Definitely digging the boxart. Don't really care one way or the other about multiplayer. I enjoyed Uncharted 2's well enough, but haven't played 3's at all.

It's been asked A LOT in the blog. Arne mentioned that they are looking into it.

Have they said anything about an app on vita though? It would be awesome if you could play on a dual screen and the vita would act as the bag, since the game doesn't pause when you are using your bag anyways. The problem is I don't know if it would be comfortable + lack of R2/L2.

Ellie-Bow-600x337.png

YEAR OF THE BOW.

I'm loving the arrow resurgence. I'm gonna buy a bow.

HardRojo

who here thinks Ellie will be playable at some point of the game?

I do because
in the final scene of the trailer you see Ellie pointing a gun at a red-eyed (possibly infected) Joel which might mean that you play the last chapters as Ellie, I don't think Naughty Dog would be so naive as to put an "Ellie kills an infected Joe" kinda ending, they would develop the story further than that
, I mentioned someone similar earlier in the thread.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I do because
in the final scene of the trailer you see Ellie pointing a gun at a red-eyed (possibly infected) Joel which might mean that you play the last chapters as Ellie, I don't think Naughty Dog would be so naive as to put an "Ellie kills an infected Joe" kinda ending, they would develop the story further than that
, I mentioned someone similar earlier in the thread.

They confirmed that that was a ridiculous assumption from those scenes I thought.

She wasn't pointing the gun at Joel. The shot before was of Joel, the shot after was of Ellie, but it's clear they were from difference scenes.

dummydecoy

I know I'll be aiming for a full stealth run if possible, but if it comes to it I'd love to have that feeling of 'oh god what's the most effective way to get out of this situation using as little resources as possible.'

Same! Does this game have a quick save option? It'd be nice to save before executing a plan. :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
They aren't really proper, full-blown cut-scenes like the regular ones, and even then every single element is downgraded, even the facial animation isn't as good.
There were scenes in UC3 where they used "cutscene quality" rendering during the game itself. I remember there were few, but one near the very end of the game where you're holding by one hand is what I can come up with on top of my head.

You're right about facial animation though, that's never been as good in realtime cutscenes.

I'm convinced they render all this stuff using their engine on PS3, image quality is still the same, the question is just at what framerate and how much memory each cutscene uses up. The most I've seen of them demonstrating this stuff running in real time is a report on IGN that said they had an interactive flythrough that first trailer of UC2.

Zen

Banned
...well you rarely if ever see those character models up-close during gameplay.

Someone should post the in game up close shots of Drake in the marketplace from the Uncharted 3 tech article that was posted a long time ago, the difference is a lot less than you'd think and till destroys virtually every other game.

Someone should post the in game up close shots of Drake in the marketplace from the Uncharted 3 tech article that was posted a long time ago, the difference is a lot less than you'd think and till destroys virtually every other game.

I posted this screen shot from my TV in the show your gaming setup thread:

Vrku3.jpg

Ellie-Bow-600x337.png

Probably missing something obvious, but why should they?

Their cutscenes look great to me, and the real time stuff is almost peerless on console. Its not like the difference is so large that its distracting when it switches between them, to me at least.

Top Bottom