• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us trailer + preorder goodies + boxart + multiplayer confirmed

Glad the preorder bonuses only affect multiplayer and not single-player (I don't count optional skins as affecting the actual game as an experience). All preorder bonuses should work that way.

gogogow

Will get the standard edition, those extra's are pretty garbage, dynamic theme? Automatic changing wallpapers? Ugh, what happened to those cool polygonal theme's?

UrbanRats

Hello. They should have made Ellie look more like her.

They redesigned Ellie recently and gave her a younger look, i don't know if ìt was related to all the Ellen Page comments, though.
Anyhow she (the VA) is almost 30, while Ellie is 14, i don't know if they should.

KingK

So let's say you actually tried the multiplayer and it turned out to be fun? What then?

And like I said, the whole 'people only play for 2 weeks' is a flat out wrong. UC3 launched in Nov. me and several buddies have been playing since then. I've seen profiles of people who have logged hundreds of hours in the multiplayer. Everything you claim is wrong. And even if not a single person bought UC3 for the multiplayer (not true because I know several people who haven't even finished the campaign), they tried it out, liked it and stuck with it. Naughty Dog is still working and adding things to the multiplayer all the time.

But no, no one plays it.

Shit, I'm playing some UC3 multiplayer with a buddy today after my exam. I've been playing it on and off since it came out. I don't normally play online multiplayer games for long, but the Uncharted series is one of the few to have a multiplayer I really liked, so I'm pretty optimistic about TLOU.

Mikey Jr.

Yes, very nice boxart. Love it.

Odd that they started talking about MP pre-orders without even talking about MP at all.

I find that strange.

Day 1 purchase though.

Ricky_R

SCE needs a new logo. Looks so dated.

No please... I think it's actually perfect and it has aged pretty well.

EDIT: Pardon me. I confused it with the "Sony Computer Entertainment presents" line at the start-up of every one of their games. They can upgrade the logo indeed even though it looks quite nice still.

KageMaru

One great MP possibility would be a versus mode while having zombies randomly run in and attack the closest player. Would be a nice 3 way battle IMO.

Gorillaz

I hope the MP is more hand to hand/weapon combat then just straight up shooting people. I wouldn't be upset if it was just a normal MP but with a game so focused on using the environment around you it would be cool to make it more physical.

ghibli99

Watching that trailer just makes me feel like so much of The Walking Dead comic's most disturbing and jaw-dropping moments will be realized in a way here as opposed to the TV show. The guy even looks like Rick at times. Game looks so badass!

Zia

It's a ...logo :\ what has of more grotesque to any others?

Huh? It's part of a cover. There's a discussion going on about something as insignificant as cover art, not the image they chose to use for the cover, and branding is part of that. It's very dated, obtrusive and clashes with the graphic design. Simple.

I don't mind Multiplayer, it can only add to it I think. Only because U2 had multiplayer and it didn't feel like it took one ounce away from the SP, so I have faith. Also, dat box art is nice!

man, we go through the same discussion over and over again. what's the problem in having mp? some people might enjoy it...

No problem at all ofcourse. Unless a mediocre unnecessary multiplayer experoience takes vailuable time, money and recources from a single player, ultimately making the single player a lesser experience than it could have been.

No problem at all ofcourse. Unless a mediocre unnecessary multiplayer experoience takes vailuable time, money and recources from a single player, ultimately making the single player a lesser experience than it could have been.

I think ND deserves the benefit of the doubt here though. I had the same concern about Uncharted 2, but that turned out rather well.

Mikey Jr.

The PS3 is 6 years into its life and this is ND's 4th game this gen, the previous 2 games having multiplayer.

I think they know what they are doing and I trust them.

omonimo

Banned
Huh? It's part of a cover. There's a discussion going on about something as insignificant as cover art, not the image they chose to use for the cover, and branding is part of that. It's very dated, obtrusive and clashes with the graphic design. Simple.

:/ Ok... but they can't redesign a logo for every new game, no?

No please... I think it's actually perfect and it has aged pretty well.

EDIT: Pardon me. I confused it with the "Sony Computer Entertainment presents" line at the start-up of every one of their games. They can upgrade the logo indeed even though it looks quite nice still.

This one:

SCEJ.gif

I'd just remove the picture part and tidy up the font/s. When I look at it I think of the early 90's

The_Monk

I was kinda curious about a Collector's Edition then I saw this:

mafia28 on December 9th, 2012 at 8:07 pm said:
Nice the game looks really good, is there any chance for a collector’s edition?
Thanks and continue the great work!

Arne Meyer on December 9th, 2012 at 10:30 pm said:
Still working out if we will have a collector’s edition or not. Keep your fingers crossed!

I would love all the contents in a nice, clean and simple Steelbook Case, please!

Raxus

Didn't want multiplayer but at least I can ignore it. The game is looking great. I can finally dust off my PS3.

Also has migrating birds flying in the distance:
i7Tg94zaagCqi.gif

They do move, infact the shader actually changes to reflect the skin moving.

It's very subtle but obvious once slowed down:
ilUcqOgztMrCL.gif

Like i said before it manages to be realistic but stylized enough not to appear creepy/uncanny, yet despite some cartoony-ness to some expressions (the sitting dude, when you see a hand picking up a machete) they can be very subtle about it, like in this case, which is good.

The detail are just so amazing.

Amir0x

Banned
ND's planning to make us cry with this game, I guarantee it.

I already had my Last of Us fanfiction written when the game was announced

stereotypical bonfire scene fanfiction:

Ellie: "Is it true? What you said earlier? About there being people here who didn't always try to kill one other, a long time ago?"
*Joel looks longingly at the starry night sky*
Joel: "I...yes, it's true."
Ellie: "Can you...tell me about it, just this once? About the neon lights and those car things you told me about? About Christmas?"
Joel: "Well, when I was a boy around your age--" *speech*
*at some point Ellie falls asleep during the speech, to which Joel smiles and tucks her in*

Valnen

Ugh. Hopefully those bonus skins are just for multiplayer. I don't want to be forced to preorder another game at Gamestop.

Ricky_R

This one:

SCEJ.gif

I'd just remove the picture part and tidy up the font/s. When I look at it I think of the early 90's

Yeah... That's the one I was referring to when I said that it could get an update even though I don't mind how it looks now, when I edited my post. Removing the image and leaving the text only might work indeed, but I think they're better off leaving something as an image/logo, if they decide to change it eventually.

Amir0x

Banned
Ugh. Hopefully those bonus skins are just for multiplayer. I don't want to be forced to preorder another game at Gamestop.

Since the bonus skins are only available once you complete single player for the first time, I'm pretty sure they're for single player. Play through the game once and then use "Fat Drake" sort of thing.

destrudo

Damage control, money is still spent on pointless multiplayer that nobody will play for longer than 1-2 weeks because single player games are bought by people interested in single player games. If it wasn't being spent on that it could be spent on another Sony project (if it isn't given to Naughty Dog single player crew like he says). People who casually play arcade based multiplayer-only (like COD) are not interested in last of us 5 v 5 3rd person cover based deathmatch.

When I see me-too multiplayer I think about what that time and money could have been spent on instead, whether a naughty dog project or not. I don't think about the people who bought Uncharted 3 for it's multi-player because they don't exist.

I know I'm in the minority but I bought UC3 for the multi-player. I was pretty bored of everything else and desperate for another shooter, so I bought it based on a recommendation. That being said, even though I have gone on to beat the campaign multiple times, what keeps me going back to it (and not selling it) is the multi-player.

So far ND have proved that they can make a pretty entertaining multi-player component and we haven't actually seen any footage of it yet, so wouldn't it make sense to wait before we start claiming it was a waste of resources?

Also, can't there be people who are interested in games that have both single player and mult-player experiences?

Endo Punk

ND earned my trust with UC2 so the inclusion of the MP doesn't both me, in fact if it has the same care and attention put into it like UC2 then I'll definitely play for hours on end.

If anyone thinks MP means the SP will be in trouble.... just stop, please stop. Naughty Dog, nuff said.

Amir0x

Banned
If anyone thinks MP means the SP will be in trouble.... just stop, please stop. Naughty Dog, nuff said.

The name "Naughty Dog" ends all debate on the merits on single player focused development?

Mang, even if you thought Naughty Dog was some special developer somehow worthy of some special faith, certainly there is room to be pessimistic about whether they'd be putting too much resources in one place when they could be, say, expanding the single player or something.

Uncharted 3 was rushed to market, for example, and there was a pretty fair backlash against the title for that part; they even said it was rushed and they won't make that mistake again. And of course their games are far from perfect.

So, saying "Naughty Dog, nuff said" is not really enough said :p

I'm not taking a side here, just saying there's plenty to discuss in this avenue of thought.

Looks great so far. I will definitely pick it up for the singleplayer experience, but after the constant changes to UC2 MP and the very sub par experience that was UC3 MP, I have no faith that the MP in this game will be anything worth paying attention to. Hopefully my lack of faith will be proven wrong.

HardRojo

You know, now I wish I had not watched the trailer, they said they tried to keep it as spoiler free as possible but that last part
where Ellie is pointing a gun at an apparently red-eyed Joel screams to me that he's been infected and she has to kill him...
Read at your own leisure though but I'm fairly sure someone earlier in the thread mentioned it already because it seems to be the most obvious conclusion.

Top Bottom