• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 |OT| Class Reunion

Aeana

I like most of Class VII. I totally want to see different perspectives of how they survived in the world while Rean was out, and what they were doing in the world. The problem was that they were doing jack shit. It seems that for a whole month, everyone in the school survived, not just Class VII, and they have been conveniently split up into locations I have visited before in the first game, and whatever is happening in those regions have all been stuck in a holding pattern for a whole month waiting for Rean the great savior to show up and reunite everyone so the state of the world can actually progress. That's the most boring and (negatively) predictable way you can proceed from the cliffhanger at the end of CS1.
I do agree with that. It would've been cool if they had us at least go to the places the other teams went to in CS1. I hope we go there in 3 at least.

I do agree with that. It would've been cool if they had us at least go to the places the other teams went to in CS1. I hope we go there in 3 at least.

Well, tough reality of a sequel that came out only a year later, and was apparently split in 2 in first place to hit the 2013 release year. =/

duckroll

It has to be right? Falcom isn't going to take years making the epic conclusion only to skim on new locations... I hope.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
To be fair, Erebonia is approximately one bazillion times bigger than Liberl and Crossbell combined. At least judging by the maps we've seen.

Soriku

Geez, does this game have the longest epilogue section in a game ever? I don't mind, but damn! The story just keeps going!

Psxphile

Geez, does this game have the longest epilogue section in a game ever? I don't mind, but damn! The story just keeps going!

More bang for your buck.

I'm in the "final" dungeon myself. Well, seems pretty final. But going by last time the game won't end after I complete it I bet. Much like the final section of Sky SC looks like I'll get some extra dialogue and even fill in the character journal by bringing the right people to certain boss fights.

preta

More bang for your buck.

I'm in the "final" dungeon myself. Well, seems pretty final. But going by last time the game won't end after I complete it I bet. Much like the final section of Sky SC looks like I'll get some extra dialogue and even fill in the character journal by bringing the right people to certain boss fights.

If it's not too late, bring Emma to the third fight.

Korigama

Sooooooo...(Finale spoilers, MAJOR SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY, MIND WHERE YOU CLICK)
not particularly surprised that Osborne was still alive after Claire's mention of his body disappearing after he got shot, so I figured that he was probably pulling a Nick Fury somewhere. Was VERY much surprised about his relevance to Rean, as well as Rufus being the primary Ironblood. And, I suspected that Crow was anything but fine after his Divine Knight got stabbed like that.

Will have to wait until tomorrow to start the Epilogue.
Umm... game? PS3? Ya okay? Still working? Is this the worlds longest loading time wait or??

edit! oh phew, there we go. still in business!

edit 2! uhhh whaaaattt??
It was a VERY long wait. Was rather glad that I saw this earlier to know that it was normal, apparently.

Menthuss

Sooooooo...(Finale spoilers, MAJOR SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY, MIND WHERE YOU CLICK)
not particularly surprised that Osborne was still alive after Claire's mention of his body disappearing after he got shot, so I figured that he was probably pulling a Nick Fury somewhere. Was VERY much surprised about his relevance to Rean, as well as Rufus being the primary Ironblood. And, I suspected that Crow was anything but fine after his Divine Knight got stabbed like that.

Wasn't that hinted at super hard in CS1 when
Rean catches a glimpse of Osborne on the Eisengraf, causing his power to get triggered
?

Korigama

Wasn't that hinted at super hard in CS1 when
Rean catches a glimpse of Osborne on the Eisengraf, causing his power to get triggered
?
There was that. Of course,
something being off with Osborne based on what Rean could pick up was hinted at even earlier than that when the class met with him in Valflame Palace at the end of Chapter 4 of CS I as well, IIRC
. Even then, that still wouldn't have led me to suspect (major CS II spoilers again)
that Osborne of all people had anything to do with how Baron Schwarzer found Rean years ago
. I should've been more specific about what I meant.

Soriku

Wow, one of the best sidequests in the game comes literally at the tail end of the game. Actually it seems to be the very last one...

The quest with Anton and Sharon. Unlike many of the other quests I was invested in this one...and it was pretty heartwarming too. It's amusing how they throw this random and very easily missable quest right as soon as the FINAL final dungeon opens up.

Talking to all the NPCs and watching their character journey itself feels like an amazing side quest that are amplified by an actual quest itself.

Thors OTP Academy was really cute seeing all the budding romances with the NPCs.

Menthuss

Wow, one of the best sidequests in the game comes literally at the tail end of the game. Actually it seems to be the very last one...

The quest with Anton and Sharon. Unlike many of the other quests I was invested in this one...and it was pretty heartwarming too. It's amusing how they throw this random and very easily missable quest right as soon as the FINAL final dungeon opens up.

I've noticed this trend in several other Trails games. Falcom are a bit too keen on hiding certain quests and items to the point where'd you'd easily miss them unless you talk to every NPC in every area after every event (no matter how minor). Take one of the Carnelia chapters in CS1, chapter 3: You have to backtrack all the way back to
Zender Gate
at a very specific point in the story in order to acquire it. I might be misremembering but you had no reason to go there at that point (unless you're forcing yourself to talk to every NPC after every story event).

preta

Did you do the one in
Trista Chapel in the Finale? If you bring Sara and Gaius you'll get some great lore.

I've noticed this trend in several other Trails games. Falcom are a bit too keen on hiding certain quests and items to the point where'd you'd easily miss them unless you talk to every NPC in every area after every event (no matter how minor). Take one of the Carnelia chapters in CS1, chapter 3: You have to backtrack all the way back to
Zender Gate
at a very specific point in the story in order to acquire it. I might be misremembering but you had no reason to go there at that point (unless you're forcing yourself to talk to every NPC after every story event).

Tldr; the right way to play any Falcom game

Talking to all the NPCs and watching their character journey itself feels like an amazing side quest that are amplified by an actual quest itself.

Thors OTP Academy was really cute seeing all the budding romances with the NPCs.

Which in turn makes me sad that there is no clear pairing among the Class VII themselves. The fanfic pairings like Machias-Jusis don't even interact with each other much in this game.

Friedel-Loggins is the pair I'd like to see again in the next game.

The one issue with otp's is in some cases I'm not entirely sure who the otp should be. Take Jusis as an example I could see an argument to be made for his otp to be the riding club girl who gives him a tsundere act for much of cs1 and he's needed to recruit her in cs2, millium down the road due to her and jusis special love/hate relationship and the fact she gets special scenes with jusis whenever they first meet in cs2, and of course the yaoi machias pairing though that one I'm least serious about :p .

Dio

Banned
I'm almost done with NG+ and I think I've finally come to a decision.

Fie's dub VA, Cassandra Lee Morris, should win an award for her role in this. In both games, she managed to elevate Fie from the 'generic kuudere voice' to a frankly enjoyable character to listen to, full of jokes that have just enough emotion to make her feel like a real person but not out of original characterization. After doing her final bonding conversation during the resetting I just had to write it down somewhere.

duckroll

OTPs:
Fie x Celine
Machias x Jusis
Millium x Lammy
Elliot x Fiona

Harem Land:
Rean x Laura
Rean x Emma
Rean x Alisa
Rean x Elise
Rean x Alfine

You know this is true.

preta

I'm almost done with NG+ and I think I've finally come to a decision.

Fie's dub VA, Cassandra Lee Morris, should win an award for her role in this. In both games, she managed to elevate Fie from the 'generic kuudere voice' to a frankly enjoyable character to listen to, full of jokes that have just enough emotion to make her feel like a real person but not out of original characterization. After doing her final bonding conversation during the resetting I just had to write it down somewhere.

Don't forget that she also voiced Alfin. That in itself is medal-worthy.

Dio

Banned
Don't forget that she also voiced Alfin. That in itself is medal-worthy.
Fair, but Fie's subtlety in acting was far more conspicuous to me than that (and I forgot she voiced both characters.) After hearing the Japanese version being the deadpan *stare* kuudere voice I've heard in every anime ever I can't imagine the JP version being as interesting and fun as dub Fie is.

This is high praise from me, since I rarely ever like dubs in JP games. Cold Steel 1 and 2 have some of the best video game dub work I've ever heard outside of Nier/Drakengard 3 and AAA titles.

Soriku

Oh yeah Hugo and Becky need to get it on already. Same with Makarov and Mary, as well as Loggins and Friedel.

Dio

Banned
Also I lived with a Scottish friend for a year and a half; I showed him some Becky dialogue and he pointed out the mistakes he saw in the faux-Scottish accent Becky has instantly. Oh well, ignorance is bliss.

Taruranto

Jusis has more moments with Rean in CS2 than Machias, especially if you do his S.Link.

Anyone who wants to romance Elliot needs to get past his dad. Got luck with that.

I like most of Class VII. I totally want to see different perspectives of how they survived in the world while Rean was out, and what they were doing in the world. The problem was that they were doing jack shit. It seems that for a whole month, everyone in the school survived, not just Class VII, and they have been conveniently split up into locations I have visited before in the first game, and whatever is happening in those regions have all been stuck in a holding pattern for a whole month waiting for Rean the great savior to show up and reunite everyone so the state of the world can actually progress. That's the most boring and (negatively) predictable way you can proceed from the cliffhanger at the end of CS1.

I missed this. Yeah, this is what I basically meant when I said that it felt like an exercise in time wasting, and that I was only really playing on because of how much I had invested in the series to date, not because it's actually interesting.

Bladenic

Everyone talks about this one but pays dust to Kenneth's. His is the best IMO, or at least second best.

Also I lived with a Scottish friend for a year and a half; I showed him some Becky dialogue and he pointed out the mistakes he saw in the faux-Scottish accent Becky has instantly. Oh well, ignorance is bliss.

Why does Becky speak like that anyway? Nobody else from Celdic talks like that, not even her family (they might actually, can't remember)? Dunno if she ever mentioned being a foreigner from somewhere else.

duckroll

Why does Becky speak like that anyway? Nobody else from Celdic talks like that, not even her family (they might actually, can't remember)? Dunno if she ever mentioned being a foreigner from somewhere else.

They do. Especially her dad. In fact that was the first hint they were her family when you visited Celdic in CS1.

Cornbread78

AH lol

"Oh, you're so cute when your sweaty"

"uggh, can you not say things...."

nice, lol

Love trying out all the post battle remarks after a teamwork finish.

The out-of-universe answer is that the localizer who wrote her lines is Scottish.

Soriku

Laura and Fie have the best post battle quote combo for sure.

Together Laura and Fie spells victory!

One time though I cut off the quote at "spells"...but Fie leveled up and ended the quote with "success" :p

Speaking or those two, they're canonically the strongest (or at least most physically capable) of Class VII and they also happen to be my two best members. Laura for raw power, Fie for evasion hax. I have her evasion over 100% and it's just crazy.

You know, I think I'm actually enjoying this more than the first game even though I think the plot/story/characters have a heaping helping of issues. I think tonally the light-hearted Falcomness worked much better in CS1 where you were kids doing stuff and there was an underlying darker heart to goings on that you would see brief flashes of until it culminated quite fantastically in the end as things came to a head. In CS2 the light-heartedness would be great if it wasn't set in a war-torn province where they keep telling you things are bad and serious and never actually show you it or make you feel it. I rolled my eyes so fucking hard when [Act 2 spoilers]
Celdic is burned and attacked and there's 1 casualty
. But maybe due to my experience playing CS1 I'm just enjoying the combat a whole hell of a lot more, liking the gameplay loop this time around and also enjoying the sidequests and
finding your classmates and thus unlocking stuff on your ship a lot
. The characters are still the characters so they're either great, fun or middlingly awful and the Bonding Events are still "Hey. I wanna buy bread. Here's 14 dialogue boxes about me buying bread and having difficulty buying bread. This bread reminds me of my fake dad" but some of them are actually pretty good this time around now that every character doesn't have to be vague about their mysterious past.

The optional fights were a nice challenge and all the optional stuff you can do as well as the addition of the
airship
gives me a real freedom I'm enjoying.

I think I nitpick and complain so much because this IS a really good game. So when it does something not good it stands out a lot more.

Now drink with Sara, Rean, you incomparable fuckboy.

duckroll

Okay, finished the Nord part. That was actually a lot more fun than Boreldic. The quests felt more interesting, or maybe I just like the people of Nord more. The exploration was so much better with quick travel. The new part of Nord reminded me of Xenoblade. I managed to snag CRIMINAL yesssssssss. Rean/Fie/Claire/Alisa is a pretty baller team. Millium feels WAY better in CS2 so far. I'm not sure what happened. In fact, the first time she appeared, I thought she got a new voice actress or something. It's so weird. Gaius' new out is really good. Millium and Alisa are pretty good too. So far the major downgrade is Fie. Whatever she's wearing just looks tacky and bad. Even the colors annoys me.

The one thing I didn't like was how the entire Watchtower segment ended.
Sharon showing up is cool, but the entire fight with Blueblanc and Altina felt really forced. Unlike TitS, BB doesn't really feel like he has a purpose in CS other than being presumably a fan favorite Enforcer. He just pops in and talks and talks and talks but doesn't need to be there at all. I'm not a fan of them introducing Altina without really introducing her either. It's not mysterious, it just makes me not care who I'm fighting. The Xeno/Leo fight was waaaaaaaaaay better. I'm already excited to meet those guys again.

Hopefully I get Laura and Emma soon so I can stop being miserable...

Sapientas

So, according to the OP, I need to first convert my Clear Data from Trails of CS1 to then transfer it. My first game is European and the second is American, both digital copies. How can I make this?

Not in a rush to start playing, but if it's too much of a hassle I guess I'll just forget about it.

Apharmd

God, so far CS2 has just been a big let down aside from giant robot fights. Feels like the writing just stagnated and barely anything happened plot-wise even after defeating the "final" dungeon, which was a chore to slog through. The boss fights were okay, but it's annoying how formulaic and shounen-esque the endings are. Oh no, everyone is Freeza now and haven't even begun to exert .1% of their true power.

POST-FINALE CHAPTER SPOILER:
Also, this ridiculously short war took out the market manager, ravaged only one small village and took out Crow. After like, no deaths anywhere (Vulcan?) and an emphasis on apparently 95% of the villains in this game being people who are pretty cool anyway, we don't get to see anymore character interactions with Crow and the rest of the second class? Oh, and the whole thing was my unknowingly helping out Osborne. Oh boy, I guess I'm making Erebonia great again.

Adding insult to injury, the "divertissement" end afterwards just placed me smack dab in another giant dungeon to slog through with brand new characters I really have no idea about. OST is still great, but after the disappointing story and the stagnating Class VII, I'm just turned off.

Honestly, it's annoying how beyond the first few hours the game really doesn't feel like Class VII is outmaneuvered, outgunned and outmatched despite the plot nuke in CS1's ending. There was that fight in the intermission, but hey, there's five billion super powered super-friends out to help out Class VII anyway ANY TIME the going gets tough.

Please tell me Trails in the Sky FC+SC are better in the regard that the people there aren't babied so needlessly by the plot.

Top Bottom