• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 |OT| Class Reunion

Soriku

He did say that he was going to reveal his past once the operation is over.

I can only assume one is meant to experience the games in order of release. I agree, though, I'm glad we got to play these games at all. Best case scenario has
me learning Japanese
us enjoying them all eventually.

Baron Schwarzer knew. If you visit Ymir before the last battle he tells Rean he'll explain everything when he returns.

Yeah that's why I said that. That's a crazy secret to hold on to.

All this stuff going on in Crossbell btw...IDK how to feel! Is this annexation good or bad? They were trying to be independent right?

desmax

Yeah that's why I said that. That's a crazy secret to hold on to.

All this stuff going on in Crossbell btw...IDK how to feel! Is this annexation good or bad? They were trying to be independent right?

Check the newspaper for both countries

Friend I mentioned before

"Crows my favorite I was surprised he joins class vii I was considering using him when available just cuz I like him so much"

Upupupu

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
CS1 Crow was actually my favorite playable character. :/

duckroll

The problem with Crow was that he always had that "why is this guy even important" thing hanging over him. Out of the four proto-VII members, he was always the odd one out. Towa is the perfect waifu, George is the tech support, Angelica is the daughter of the fourth great house. Crow is a lazy carefree guy who just happens to be everywhere. The game develops him a lot but he has no anchor to the main plot. Once he becomes a party member you immediately know that he has a bunch of secrets, because... why else?

Nyoro SF

I barely spent any time with Crow and barely used him in battles either.

So when the end of CS1 hit I was like... "uh... Rean, what are you getting all misty-eyed on me for? We hardly spoke to this dude..." lol

I mean, Crow's identity was super obvious for at least 20-30 hours prior to the reveal. I'm not sure how anyone could miss it.

I wouldn't say "super obvious". Just that it narratively made sense in a metacontextual kind of way than everything afterwards just continued to reinforce it in a confirmation bias kind of way.

Yeah I mean "My name is C" in that moment it was obvious C was Crow.

That actually lured me away from it.

"Falcom's too smart for this unless the ILF was itself some distraction for real antagonists to be revealed later."

They have a nice way of lulling me into doing this from time to time.

desmax

I realized that he was evil when I saw one of his crafts doing a negative color effects.

Negative colors are proof of evil in JRPG's. Especially when you fight C the second, as it does the same stuff

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
A friend of mine seriously thought that it's Celine using magickery.

Then another thought that it's Cassius.
I thought it might be Cassius up until around an hour before the reveal.

Then I was like oh... oh no. NO IT CAN'T BE

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
2 hours into this final(?) dungeon an two parts of it done. Where'd the time go? Battles an exploration don't take all that long. At least I didn't get plot-blocked on some sweet sweet victories... oh wait -.-

It may have only been cutscenes but there was an airship battles! Woohoo!

I mean, Crow's identity was super obvious for at least 20-30 hours prior to the reveal. I'm not sure how anyone could miss it.
Not to me at all! It flew right over my head an was rather shocking at the end of the game for me!

jman2050

It didn't dawn on me that C was Crow until the day of Osbourne's speech when a random Trista NPC casually tells me Crow went to the capital for some reason. Then everything just clicked into place.

Felt like a total fool in hindsight, that's for sure.

Jeffrey

Hmmm was crow ever in the swimming classes?

You'd think people would have noticed that he had the build of a master warrior or something.

But then anime logic.

Hmmm was crow ever in the swimming classes?

You'd think people would have noticed that he had the build of a master warrior or something.

But then anime logic.

It's just that his goofy face is really disarming.

His artwork looks like a charismatic tough guy with a lot to hide.

But his 3D model is just too goofy.

Jeffrey

It's just that his goofy face is really disarming.

His artwork looks like a charismatic tough guy with a lot to hide.

But his 3D model is just too goofy.

Dude slacks and sleeps in class.

Having the build of any level of fitness would turn on some bells.

But anime logic. Strength has no correlation to body fitness. Just aura!

CrazyDude

If I had one problem with the game it's how Oliver just hands over one of the most advanced ships to a bunch of high schoolers. I also didn't like all this power of friendship stuff over Thors and Class VII. I still liked the game, but hearing about "how together we can do anything" for a hundred times got grating.

Sera O

Banned
Awright. I'm now done. It was a good game in terms of the battle system and convenience improvements for quest reporting, missables etc. I did not miss the school stuff at all, but I didn't find the character and story aspects of it very satisfying, for reasons other posters have already covered. My favourite trails game so far is SC. I just don't play these games for the battle systems, I guess. In the Cold Steel games I actually like a lot of NPCs better than most of the main cast, which was something I didn't expect.

Crackpot theory time! Several things stick out in my mind now after seeing all the revelations at the end. Sorry for my rambling and sorry if this seems overly critical. Part of how I enjoy stuff is by picking it apart, and it doesn't mean I'm hating on it.

Spoilers through to end of the game:

Is the chancellor even human? While Rean's incredibly boring, he is definitely not normal (pyro guy said he was "mixed" with some undetermined otherness as well). Did Osborne actually die and then walk it off?

This, along with that whole thing about the OG spear saint possibly being alive, makes me wonder if there's a bunch of Erebonians who just don't die. Crow's colouring is like berserk Rean's, so I would not bet on him staying dead either. Then, there's that whole thing with Fie's jaeger corps planning on reviving their dead boss.

The civil war (not counting Osborne) resulted in three deaths to our knowledge. Vulcan (probably reliable since suicide), Otto (I dunno maybe he's a vampire and will reclaim his market at the full moon), and Crow. I don't even recall hearing about any soldiers dying. I'm going to have to review the papers to see if there is are implied deaths in the West, but it seems more like they were doing nationwide mecha testing with nerf bats and the occasional town fire. It's almost like, outside of Duke Albarea's desperate power grabs, all factions are just staging a play.

I also found it bizarre how no one raised objections about bringing Crow back, whatever that meant. When he told the story of why he became a terrorist, it wasn't even due to burning conviction. Not one person has reservations about considering him a friend? This is the only dude in the entire war who set out to kill someone and actually accomplished it, to their knowledge.

Ponytail teacher is giving me flashbacks to another nerdy professor. Shady! I don't trust that guy.

Rean became interesting for five whole minutes in Crossbell. It did more for his characterization than the countless hours of going around in a circle for statements like "Friends forever. I'm with you. You're my family. Wind. I take swords extremely seriously. We so neutral now let's go accomplish that Imperial objective." I gave him time, but Rean is just incredibly generic. I wish he was interesting in the sense of who he is and not just what he is.

I was really surprised by how likeable I found Millium in this game, so at least she grew on me. Death toll in the thousands! Overall I enjoyed the game. I'll probably play it again in a little bit for some trophies and those black records.

Awright. I'm now done. It was a good game in terms of the battle system and convenience improvements for quest reporting, missables etc. I did not miss the school stuff at all, but I didn't find the character and story aspects of it very satisfying, for reasons other posters have already covered. My favourite trails game so far is SC. I just don't play these games for the battle systems, I guess. In the Cold Steel games I actually like a lot of NPCs better than most of the main cast, which was something I didn't expect.

Crackpot theory time! Several things stick out in my mind now after seeing all the revelations at the end. Sorry for my rambling and sorry if this seems overly critical. Part of how I enjoy stuff is by picking it apart, and it doesn't mean I'm hating on it.

Spoilers through to end of the game:

Is the chancellor even human? While Rean's incredibly boring, he is definitely not normal (pyro guy said he was "mixed" with some undetermined otherness as well). Did Osborne actually die and then walk it off?

This, along with that whole thing about the OG spear saint possibly being alive, makes me wonder if there's a bunch of Erebonians who just don't die. Crow's colouring is like berserk Rean's, so I would not bet on him staying dead either. Then, there's that whole thing with Fie's jaeger corps planning on reviving their dead boss.

The civil war (not counting Osborne) resulted in three deaths to our knowledge. Vulcan (probably reliable since suicide), Otto (I dunno maybe he's a vampire and will reclaim his market at the full moon), and Crow. I don't even recall hearing about any soldiers dying. I'm going to have to review the papers to see if there is are implied deaths in the West, but it seems more like they were doing nationwide mecha testing with nerf bats and the occasional town fire. It's almost like, outside of Duke Albarea's desperate power grabs, all factions are just staging a play.

I also found it bizarre how no one raised objections about bringing Crow back, whatever that meant. When he told the story of why he became a terrorist, it wasn't even due to burning conviction. Not one person has reservations about considering him a friend? This is the only dude in the entire war who set out to kill someone and actually accomplished it, to their knowledge.

Ponytail teacher is giving me flashbacks to another nerdy professor. Shady! I don't trust that guy.

Rean became interesting for five whole minutes in Crossbell. It did more for his characterization than the countless hours of going around in a circle for statements like "Friends forever. I'm with you. You're my family. Wind. I take swords extremely seriously. We so neutral now let's go accomplish that Imperial objective." I gave him time, but Rean is just incredibly generic. I wish he was interesting in the sense of who he is and not just what he is.

I was really surprised by how likeable I found Millium in this game, so at least she grew on me. Death toll in the thousands! Overall I enjoyed the game. I'll probably play it again in a little bit for some trophies and those black records.

Yar, everything of your criticisms hindered Cold Steel II from topping Sky SC in my book even though I like CS II's general plot better. SC simply does character motivations and emotional pay-offs better. CS/CSII are touted as "the beginning of the Erebonian tale", though, so most likely we haven't even reached the "Second Chapter" part of Cold Steel, yet.

[Epilogue and theories]
And indeed the Epilogue actually set Rean up for some potentially interesting directions. hopefully Falcom would not squander that opportunity.

There are theories that Osborne is a vampire, pining on the speculation that Red Moon Rose might be based on reality ala Carnelia. I think that it's kinda silly, but hey giant robots and demons.

My personal theory is that Sandlot is an Awakener, and the reason Lohengrin doesn't host a Divine Knight is because she still carries it with her.

I don't know what to make of Crow's color scheme. During CS1 I indeed thought that it is related to Rean's ogre power, but the second game doesn't give any indication that he has hidden powers or this "mixed" thingie at all.

duckroll

Cold Steel as a whole will never surpass any other part of Trails because none of the other parts feature a core party of 9 characters who keep reminding the main character that he's the ~best thing ever~.

SolVanderlyn

I have a strong inkling that CSIII with retroactively change my opinions of this game for the better. Heck, even Ao will probably do that. Not that I didn't like this game, just that SC felt more "complete."

Nyoro SF

Cold Steel as a whole will never surpass any other part of Trails because none of the other parts feature a core party of 9 characters who keep reminding the main character that he's the ~best thing ever~.

Whoa there duckroll.

Whoa.

Are you saying, that Gaius values Rean over the spring breeze? Heavy words my friend. :p

I have a strong inkling that CSIII with retroactively change my opinions of this game for the better. Heck, even Ao will probably do that. Not that I didn't like this game, just that SC felt more "complete."

Well, it makes sense, considering that there's a (ending)
timeskip and sort of a soft reset of character positioning.
I'm sure this will make CS3 very fresh and interesting. Only two months left for news...

SolVanderlyn

Cassius doesn't need a mask or a team of losers. If he wanted Osborne dead... he dead.
Cassius is probably at the same level as McBurn. Also who the hell are the other three S Rank Bracers? Five games later and we still don't know!!

I like TiTS FC/SC a lot more, but CS has more total characters I like, as well as a lot of character interactions that stood out. TiTS was very much joshua and Estelle's story and everyone else was just along for the ride. They got a lot out of the characters anyway, but outside of the main two and Kloe none of them stand out as favorites for me.

CS most importantly has Sara, and I've come to accept it within myself that I like her even more than Estelle

I hear that Lloyd from Zero/Ao has a tendency to capture hearts of men and women alike with his oblivious words. This scares me.

SC is the only game in this series where I was bothered by the pacing. It's probably my least favorite of the localized games for that reason. That and the combat in the Sky games is a bore. SC's final dungeon is a test of endurance without speedhack.

I beat CS1 in 75 hours. I've played CS2 for like 11 hours now and nothing has happened at all.

As GRRM Gaius would say... words are wind.

Nothing? Nothing? They're was an incredibly daring infiltration of a serious business imperial checkpoint by adjacent-and-literally-visible-from-the-guard point-but-wholly-unprotected railway. Shit was tense.

duckroll

I think Cassius might be the only S-rank Bracer in West Zemuria. Unless the rest of them are all hanging out in Calvard. :p

Was just thinking about something. Does anyone have on hand the list of all the Group B Field Study destinations in CS1, and the description of the location given when they were announced (ie: where in Erebonia they are located and what significance the location has). Thanks!

desmax

SC is the only game in this series where I was bothered by the pacing. It's probably my least favorite of the localized games for that reason. That and the combat in the Sky games is a bore. SC's final dungeon is a test of endurance without speedhack.

I'd say the same, but frankly, I feel that SC didn't even had a pacing. Felt like I was doing nothing the entire time.
I get that there was development issues, and they had to make FC and SC separate games, but I wish it worked out better.

I think Cassius might be the only S-rank Bracer in West Zemuria. Unless the rest of them are all hanging out in Calvard. :p

Was just thinking about something. Does anyone have on hand the list of all the Group B Field Study destinations in CS1, and the description of the location given when they were announced (ie: where in Erebonia they are located and what significance the location has). Thanks!

Don't have an actual list or anything, but here's what I remember:

Chapter 1: Parm. It is the closest town to Haken Gate, the border checkpoint to Liberl.
Chapter 2: Saint-Arkh. The capital of Sutherland Province ruled by Marquis Hyarms.
Chapter 3: Byronia Island. It hosts a similar giant knight statue that Nord Highland has.
Chapter 4: Heimdallr.
Chapter 5: Jurai. The seaside Special Economic Zone that Crow hailed from.
Chapter 6. Ordis. The capital of Lamarre Province ruled by Duke Cayenne.

SolVanderlyn

Don't have an actual list or anything, but here's what I know:

Chapter 1: Parm. It is the closest town to Haken Gate, the border checkpoint to Liberl.
Chapter 2: Saint-Arkh. The capital of Sutherland Province ruled by Marquis Hyarms.
Chapter 3: Byronia Island. It hosts a similar giant knight statue that Nord Highland has.
Chapter 4: Heimdallr.
Chapter 5: Jurai. The Special Economic Zone that Crow hailed from.
Chapter 6. Ordis. The capital of Lamarre Province ruled by Duke Cayenne.
Ordis is also where
Ordine was located

duckroll

Okay so geographically... Parm should be south of Legram, somewhere across the lake right? Saint-Arkh would be somewhere in southwest Erebonia? Byronia is just far west of Heimdallr yes? Jurai iirc was said to be in the northwest corner of Erebonia. Where is Ordis? Maybe somewhere between Byronia and Jurai?

Sera O

Banned
Yar, everything of your criticisms hindered Cold Steel II from topping Sky SC in my book even though I like CS II's general plot better. SC simply does character motivations and emotional pay-offs better. CS/CSII are touted as "the beginning of the Erebonian tale", though, so most likely we haven't even reached the "Second Chapter" part of Cold Steel, yet.

Yeah, SC was really grounded in its characters. I feel like TitS makes the personal political (so perhaps it has an advantage there), while CS is the reverse. The emotional beats in Cold Steel come off really wooden to me. Seeing these kids approximate a facial expression might help sell it. I think the bracer-in-training setup is more believable for young people getting into crazy situations as well. It's a small team encountering unexpected situations, with adult supervision most of the time (I love Sara but the vibe of having a mentor on hand isn't as strong). With regards to the transport class 7 acquire,
Towa the captain? Students instantly replacing the entire adult crew? That was really strange.

[Epilogue and theories]
And indeed the Epilogue actually set Rean up for some potentially interesting directions. hopefully Falcom would not squander that opportunity.

There are theories that Osborne is a vampire, pining on the speculation that Red Moon Rose might be based on reality ala Carnelia. I think that it's kinda silly, but hey giant robots and demons.

My personal theory is that Sandlot is an Awakener, and the reason Lohengrin doesn't host a Divine Knight is because she still carries it with her.

I don't know what to make of Crow's color scheme. During CS1 I indeed thought that it is related to Rean's ogre power, but the second game doesn't give any indication that he has hidden powers or this "mixed" thingie at all.

Yeah Rean is more interesting as
a conflicted Imperial bitch used for shock-and-awe suppression
than he ever was previously. It was a turning point where the fact that he's an oatmeal-coloured doormat suddenly seemed full of intention. Maybe the "neutrality" was meant to be a total joke.
He just doesn't want to take a stance, but going along with things is in itself a stance. Erebonia's invasion already took place, so he might as well try to make it as decisive and bloodless as possible? Sure. But at what point is his presumed willingness to clean up an argument for going ahead with more expansion? It's too convenient for Osborne to cop to being his dad at this point in time.

I think you're right about Sandlot being an awakener since way back with Dreichels. Then it seems like 2/3 mecha pilots are 'mixed,' (she'd have to be something funky to be alive) so I imagine that Crow also has some of that immortal/ogre/whatever juice too.

I hear that Lloyd from Zero/Ao has a tendency to capture hearts of men and women alike with his oblivious words. This scares me.

I don't like to be reductive, but if I were to generalise Rean as a LN-ish main character, then Lloyd is a more shonen manga-ish main character, albeit the level headed version.

Zephyx

Crazy we have a war in Erebonia where most major events happen on the East. West Erebonia doesn't seem to be affected at all as per recent events. We also have no clue as to what happened in CS1's group B field studies.

SolVanderlyn

All this light novel talk has made me realize I've been out of the anime scene for a long time. "Light novel" makes me think of a shorter novella, or a light read. Apparently it's self-insert romance. The more you know
what to avoid

Top Bottom