• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages 3DS VC release |OT|

jph139

Definitely planning on grabbing these... and I'll probably pick up Link's Awakening while I'm at it, play through that first. It'll be my first for LA, but I played the hell out of the Oracle games back in the day, so, looking forward to it. Might get the original Zelda while I'm at it... never beat that one.

Now they just need to get Minish Cap out and my last Zelda blindspot will be filled in.

18-Volt

Those are the main reason GBC existed.

I know it's not really represented in the actual gameplay, but the Oracle Link design is easily one of my favorites.

sommaire.jpg

Exactly. Best LoZ design. Screw Toon Link, OoT Link or Skyward Sword Link. I want this design to be used in the future games. Not too realistic, not too anime-y, not too cute. Just perfect.

There's a shitload of characters from the N64 games that appear in OoS and OoA. Lots of familiar faces from Ocarina and Majora's Mask. Even this guy:

Strange_Hand_(Oracle_of_Ages).png

So you are saying that these games invoke Majora's Mask?!

I loved Link's Awakening as a kid but never got around to these games. Minish Cap was great so I have faith in Capcom, and the thought that I could play something new in the old LA style is pretty dam exciting!

I always thought Seasons sounded a little more interesting, mainly because Ages plays with the tired and true idea of "2" ages compared to "4" seasons (I assume). Like in Lttp it was the light/dark world, OoT you had future/past... ect. 4 variations of the world just sounds so much more interesting.

Luckily it sounds like you guys are all saying I should start with Seasons anyway so right on.

Dimitri was the best partner is both games

Ages it allowed you to return to crescent island much earlier, Seasons allowed you faster water travel. Moosh was worthless in Seasons when the Roc's Cape existed, and pointless in Ages as there was no where to use him where he excelled. Ricky was useful for his superior combat options and speedy hole jumping in Ages, Seasons he got outclassed by the roc's cape.

Nice, these are confirmed for the uk? Done then. Played one years ago on a friends gameboy but never owned them. I already have Link's Awakening and minish cap on there, these will do nicely beside :)

Fucking love these games. I've still got original copies of all 3 (LA, Ages and Seasons) but I will buy these again and have the whole trilogy (as I think of them) on my 3DS!

THE ULTIMATE PLAYTHROUGH!

So;

- Link to the Past
- Majora's Mask
- Wind Waker
- Twilight Princess
- Skyward Sword

Are the only mainline Zelda titles we can't play on 3DS. And hopefully MM and LttP will change soon!

Can't believe I still have to wait 3 days for these.

It's a way better scenario than I imagined. The Japanese release linked up with the 12th anniversary of the original JP release. Which means, if EU/NA linked up, we wouldn't have got this until October! It's shameful we've had to wait this long for a long-been-translated ROM file to be perfectly honest.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I played Seasons a long time ago, never played Ages. Which one should I start first?

Got $10 ready... Going to play Seasons again first since it was the first one I got, and then I'll likely be burnt out before I can complete ages.... Still, will be worth it to randomly jump back in and out of. The only problem is I wish they'd program the emulator with extra features like a quick switch button. Constantly going into the menu to switch items is killer. Would be relatively easy to program too.

Got $10 ready... Going to play Seasons again first since it was the first one I got, and then I'll likely be burnt out before I can complete ages.... Still, will be worth it to randomly jump back in and out of. The only problem is I wish they'd program the emulator with extra features like a quick switch button. Constantly going into the menu to switch items is killer. Would be relatively easy to program too.

Yeah if they had X&Y to just cycle through equipped weapons. That though would constitute extra effort, and that's a foreign concept to Nintendo when doing VC re-releases! Probably the only downside to Link's Awakening to be honest, it controls so much better than both Zelda 1 & LttP in every other way.

Should I just buy one of these or both?

Bothh, live a little. It's literally two unique Zelda games, don't let the similar title fool you. We ain't talking Red and Blue version!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Fun fact: there were originally supposed to be THREE oracle games.
Also meant to be remakes re-imaginings of the first two Zelda games, which has always made me curious if they planned to convert Zelda II into a top down Zelda game.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
The amount of Zelda love my 3DS has gotten is insane to say the least. It's not quite as good as my GameCube was at one point as far as being able to play all of the previously released Zelda games goes, but it's getting mightily close.

This is why I adore the Virtual Console so much. I love to have near complete collections of entire series to play at my whim. Now, if Nintendo can give me Minish Cap, LttP, and Majora's Mask (3D), I will be an ecstatic Zelda gamer.

Yeah if they had X&Y to just cycle through equipped weapons. That though would constitute extra effort, and that's a foreign concept to Nintendo when doing VC re-releases! Probably the only downside to Link's Awakening to be honest, it controls so much better than both Zelda 1 & LttP in every other way.

Yeah that was what I was thinking. It'd be very easy to have the emulator checking the address for what items you have, then a button press cycling it for each equip slot (as you say, X and Y would be perfect for this). Add in a sound effect to give it good game feel and you're done. May take 10-20 lines of code and an hour to debug it and that's it.

Oh well... these games are too good to pass up even with that flaw.

Synless

The amount of Zelda love my 3DS has gotten is insane to say the least. It's not quite as good as my GameCube was at one point as far as being able to play all of the previously released Zelda games goes, but it's getting mightily close.

This is why I adore the Virtual Console so much. I love to have near complete collections of entire series to play at my whim. Now, if Nintendo can give me Minish Cap, LttP, and Majora's Mask (3D), I will be an ecstatic Zelda gamer.
I have a virtual console version of Minish Cap.

*evil grin*

Never played them before, buying day 1. I played Link's Awakening for the first time a few months ago and loved it, so I expect the same quality from these games as well.

Maximus.

I would love a Gba sp sized device to DL all these games to. Sometimes feels wrong playing GB games on the 3ds.

Jackano

Now, if Nintendo can give me Minish Cap, ...
Nintendo already gave me The Minish Cap.

You guys who havn't played those games yet are lucky! Those are great games.
I do not go into the "best handhelds Zelda games" because those two games are nothing without Link's Awakening engine, so just for this technical reason, not the best!

For those who want to know which one of the two is "the best", it hasn't quiet sense since the games are really really close, but if you want a funny/sarcastic but true reason I would say Ages, because of the superior Past Overworld music, which Seasons doesn't have.

And finally for collectors and completionnists, you will have to play each 4 times (8 quests in total) if you really want to play throught them entierely. That's less awesome when you have only 3 saves slots but you don't need to keep old saves after all.

It's the 4th LoZ game and it predated Oracles. I guess it forms a sort of "Trilogy" with the Oracles... but not really. The third game in the "Oracle trilogy" was either cancelled or reconstituted and redistributed into Ages & Seasons.

He means ALttP->OoS/OoA->LA I assume.

He means ALttP->OoS/OoA->LA I assume.

Huh true I guess. This will be confused once ALttPII comes into play ;)

You guys who havn't played those games yet are lucky! Those are great games.
I do not go into the "best handhelds Zelda games" because those two games are nothing without Link's Awakening engine, so just for this technical reason, not the best!
I like this reasoning! LA is a god-tier handheld game. Absolutely perfect. As long as the Oracles aren't anywhere near as poor as Spirit Tracks/Phantom Hourglass.

Huh true I guess. This will be confused once ALttPII comes into play ;)

I like this reasoning! LA is a god-tier handheld game. Absolutely perfect. As long as the Oracles aren't anywhere near as poor as Spirit Tracks/Phantom Hourglass.

BAHAHAHAHHAHA!
The only, literally only thing holding these games back in any sense is the A/B thing. Little bit too much item swapping, BUT OH WELL. They are absolutely fantastic.

Joqu

I...I liked the DS games. :(

And man, I can't wait to replay the Oracle games, it has been ages since I last played them.
I'm so sorry

Well, just by having a proper overworld it‘s already on the right track.

Personally, I feel that‘s the thing holding ST back the most, but that‘s a different conversation for another time.

Mandatory microphone flute shit for me, but yeah off topic. Can't wait for the Oracles! LADX is still one of my top played 3DS titles.

Soul Beat

I'm so ready for this. These two are the only zelda games I haven't played.

I'm probably gonna play Seasons first 'cause of dat Din.

Technically the Oracles series is a trilogy, except there was no third game. Unless you count Link's Awakening, which is the direct sequel to the Oracle games according to Hyrule Historia.
Really? How confusing. This messes with my mind! :O

I thought Links Awakening was a spin-off after LttP.

Top Bottom