• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

Jonnyram

Hmm, I'm reluctant to post this as a new thread as it's pure speculation at this point, but it looks like Cave might be closing down, or at least backing out of consumer games in a big way.

The closure of the Cave shop should have been a good indication, but now they've cancelled Shirotsuku and their shooter (Akai Katana) that were planned for Vita. At this time, they have no consumer games announced whatsoever. I don't know what's going on, but hopefully they will continue to exist as a company or their digitally distributed games will get pulled.

I'm thinking about purchasing a new copy of Mushihesama Futari with the DLC code, just want to make sure I don't have to worry about the code being expired or not working on a U.S. XBL account. Also, just want to make sure that the art gallery in the game and manual are tasteful.

Hmm, I'm reluctant to post this as a new thread as it's pure speculation at this point, but it looks like Cave might be closing down, or at least backing out of consumer games in a big way.

The closure of the Cave shop should have been a good indication, but now they've cancelled Shirotsuku and their shooter (Akai Katana) that were planned for Vita. At this time, they have no consumer games announced whatsoever. I don't know what's going on, but hopefully they will continue to exist as a company or their digitally distributed games will get pulled.

Since you didn't link your source, I assume you mean this article, quoting Famitsu?

Akai Katana was never announced as being their Vita shooter - that was purely misinformation from some site (that is actually a GAF banned site) that claimed to have interviewed them directly. Also, they're not really without marketable new product - they just recently shipped a new arcade game, Dodonpachi Saidaioujou, and they're presumably still very involved in medal games (something no one outside Japan tends to even acknowledge).

Time will tell what all this means, but I wouldn't expect the company to implode anytime soon.

I'm thinking about purchasing a new copy of Mushihesama Futari with the DLC code, just want to make sure I don't have to worry about the code being expired or not working on a U.S. XBL account. Also, just want to make sure that the art gallery in the game and manual are tasteful.

The worst you have to worry about with the code is whether or not it has already been used. If it's unused, it should still be good. Any artwork in the manual or in-game should be at about the same level as the cover art.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Might be a bit off topic, but I have 880 Microsoft points and was wondering which shooter is recommended. The only ones I bought so far are Trouble Witches Neo and Deathsmiles 2. Is Guwanage good? The demo seemed a bit easy for me.

The worst you have to worry about with the code is whether or not it has already been used. If it's unused, it should still be good. Any artwork in the manual or in-game should be at about the same level as the cover art.

Thanks for the info. I used to own the first game for PS2 and really enjoyed it, how does the second compare?

Shame the re-release of Mushi 1 won't be region free. :(

LiK

wat, they closed the official store? :(

Since you didn't link your source, I assume you mean this article, quoting Famitsu?

Akai Katana was never announced as being their Vita shooter - that was purely misinformation from some site (that is actually a GAF banned site) that claimed to have interviewed them directly. Also, they're not really without marketable new product - they just recently shipped a new arcade game, Dodonpachi Saidaioujou, and they're presumably still very involved in medal games (something no one outside Japan tends to even acknowledge).

Time will tell what all this means, but I wouldn't expect the company to implode anytime soon.

Huh, call me uninformed but I had no idea they did much in medal games. Played medal games for about 4 years and never seen their name anywhere :x

Also, on top of game cancellations and store closure, their stock is simply plummeting through the ground.

To me, if you are cancelling SOCIAL GAMES, you KNOW something is very, very wrong.

Jonnyram

None of which are consumer games. To be honest, I don't think DDP:SDOJ has been a crazy success. You'd expect an Xbox 360 port out of it, but they're rapidly running out of back catalogue to port, and they've single-handedly saturated the shmup market on both 360 and iOS. With the recent negativity towards social games, they might not have much of a future in that market either. It just looks bleak for them, that's all.

Also:

z

Kind of tying in my question about the Futari 1.5 DLC, as long as it's unused it should be good but what if Cave does indeed shut down and go out of business in the near future, could that effect whether or not it's redeemable?

Jonnyram

Kind of tying in my question about the Futari 1.5 DLC, as long as it's unused it should be good but what if Cave does indeed shut down and go out of business in the near future, could that effect whether or not it's redeemable?
Yes. Publishers pay to keep their DLC available. If the publisher goes out of business, the DLC will be taken down.

Yes. Publishers pay to keep their DLC available. If the publisher goes out of business, the DLC will be taken down.

I think you can still redeem something if you have the code for it though. It just gets removed from the marketplace if it was up for purchase.

Not 100% sure on that though. Maybe someone who has tried to redeem some Midway XBLA games can chime in.

I think you can still redeem something if you have the code for it though. It just gets removed from the marketplace if it was up for purchase.

Not 100% sure on that though. Maybe someone who has tried to redeem some Midway XBLA games can chime in.

Yikes, I better not take any chances and buy it right away then.

Well I just splurged and purchased a new and sealed copy of the Futari Limited edition with DLC and soundtrack CD, hopefully it comes in time before Cave goes under. :p :(

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Really hope Cave doesn't shut down... because then, there basically aren't shmups anymore. Best we'll get will be Eschatos, Bullet Soul, and Otomedius. That sounds like Hell, and not the kind with bullets.

But I don't see why they wouldn't just finish porting their back catalog to the 360... as far as I know, the sales have at least been solid and I can't imagine the cost of hiring M2 to port something being that great... Plus, they're totally sitting on a completed 360 port of Dangun Feveron, so I don't know what they're thinking.

If Cave does shut down, though, I have to wonder who would gets the rights to their properties... because if they sell that shit to a pachinko company or someone else who doesn't particularly care about the games, chances are that Guwange and the DLC modes will disappear into the abyss forever. Which would be unfortunate. Such is the digital distribution future, kids.

japtor

But I don't see why they wouldn't just finish porting their back catalog to the 360... as far as I know, the sales have at least been solid and I can't imagine the cost of hiring M2 to port something being that great... Plus, they're totally sitting on a completed 360 port of Dangun Feveron, so I don't know what they're thinking..
Cause their main market is Japan and the 360 has been dead there for a while last I checked. I imagine even a "cheap" port could be risky.

I'm hoping the Vita game cancellations were more cause the Vita's market performance rather than their own

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
i really hope they dont go under.

such a great company and so many great games made.

The loss of Irem and Hudson was sad in a trivial sense... TBH they hadn't done anything for me lately.

But the loss of Cave would hurt.... I know I'm not alone on that.

I'm "hoping" that the loss of the Cave shop is incidental, and the loss of the COO is due to him falling on his sword for supporting the shaky-future Vita.

IMO: Stick to smartphone ports and go multiplatform + digital for console releases... you'll be fine Cave...

vall03

just got DoDonPachi Resurrection and all I can say is that its... too intense! much harder than Blissful Death and I somehow struggled using the 360 controller. Looks like I need more practice.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
After reading all of this bad news about Cave - first with the dropped Vita games, then with the loss of the COO, then with the plummeting stock, and finally this talk of them potentially closing - I haven't been able to sleep.

I'd be devastated if they dropped, simply because this genre would take such an enormous hit. We'd be losing more than just a company, we'd be losing modern 2D shmups as we know them. I can't take that.

It sucked when Hudson died, but at least they got absorbed into Konami. I don't know if that would happen with Cave, and if it did, if it would even matter.

Gag, I know it's too early to get upset, but losing Cave would mark a serious turning point in the shmup genre, in a horrible way.

What can they do to save themselves?

Edit: Cave, stay alive via Kickstarter!

Jucksalbe

Banned
Might be a bit off topic, but I have 880 Microsoft points and was wondering which shooter is recommended. The only ones I bought so far are Trouble Witches Neo and Deathsmiles 2. Is Guwanage good? The demo seemed a bit easy for me.

Well, if that's your problem with Guwange, get it! It's certainly not easy.

danmaku

The 360 arrange is very easy, but the Arcade mode is brutally difficult. Stages 5-6 are a nightmare, and the fact that you have to focus on 2 characters at once makes it even more difficult. Game is awesome, anyway, you won't be disappointed.

Daigoro

yes, buy Guwange!

great game and it's not easy at all.

The loss of Irem and Hudson was sad in a trivial sense... TBH they hadn't done anything for me lately.

But the loss of Cave would hurt.... I know I'm not alone on that.

I'm "hoping" that the loss of the Cave shop is incidental, and the loss of the COO is due to him falling on his sword for supporting the shaky-future Vita.

IMO: Stick to smartphone ports and go multiplatform + digital for console releases... you'll be fine Cave...

After reading all of this bad news about Cave - first with the dropped Vita games, then with the loss of the COO, then with the plummeting stock, and finally this talk of them potentially closing - I haven't been able to sleep.

I'd be devastated if they dropped, simply because this genre would take such an enormous hit. We'd be losing more than just a company, we'd be losing modern 2D shmups as we know them. I can't take that.

It sucked when Hudson died, but at least they got absorbed into Konami. I don't know if that would happen with Cave, and if it did, if it would even matter.

Gag, I know it's too early to get upset, but losing Cave would mark a serious turning point in the shmup genre, in a horrible way.

apocalyptic even.

besides Grev and Cave, there arent really any companies making quality shmups anymore at all. Grev doesnt even put much out and i vastly prefer Caves output anyways (Under Defeat excluded).

this would be very bad for shmup fans.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Cool, thanks for the opinions everyone. I'll buy Guwange when I turn on my 360 later. Will play it while I wait for my Akai Katana to show up on Monday.

If you just go by the first one or two stages then every Cave shooter is easy.

In fact the same could probably be said for the entirety of the genre...well except for Image Fight.

Vert boil

So Cave tanks. A good handful of the creatives and testers that actually still have a passion for Shmups start EVAC² in their flats. They spend the next year or two building shmups on pc and make enough money to start making arcade and console games again. They learn to stay small and survive on their limited fanbase.

Cave Survive. The creatives ask the money men that run the company if they can make another shmup. After the fifth time asking they are allowed to make one but it has to be called loli-loli-pachi.

It would suck to lose the company name and the history but arcade/shmup history is full of companies/individuals folding into or creating other companies.

ArjanN

Put their games on Steam.

Yeah, okay. It will be easier for the fans to get their hands on the games, but I don't see steam saving cave.
I want to buy their android games, but they're not available in the west :/

Dave Long

Banned
I get the impression based on the COO leaving that someone is not happy with Cave's choices of platform for their games and those choices have been costing them customers.

If Vita were a hit, I doubt you'd be seeing that news on the COO.

Ra1den

So if Cave as we know it now were to go under...that wouldn't affect the availability of DLC and downloadable games, would it? I still have lots of DLC to grab, so I hope not.

Danny Dudekisser

So if Cave as we know it now were to go under...that wouldn't affect the availability of DLC and downloadable games, would it? I still have lots of DLC to grab, so I hope not.

Yeah, I haven't been too inclined to drop the cash for some of the modes... though I would like to have them at some point.

But I coulda sworn that with the DLC included in the games, that would still work even if the company shut down and the stuff were removed. IIRC, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 was still redeemable even after it was removed from XBLA, provided you had a code for it.

meppi

I certainly wouldn't hold of to find out. Grab it while you can as you never know this in this day and age.

There's an interview on Famitsu with Ikeda and Asada that just went up where they go into info about Mushi 1.5 and SDOJ here:

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201205/17014608.html

Some details:

・Mushi 1.5 will be their last package release, and they are considering new platforms
・This was news to me: the Mushi Arrange in Mushihimesama HD is an "improved" version of the PS2 Arrange Mode. I had assumed it was the same thing, but this piques my interest.
・SDOJ was very well-received, but it will be their last arcade PCB. They are considering NESSiCA but have no plans at the moment.
・When asked what he will be working on in the future, Ikeda says that the company as a whole has to focus on games where players connect with each other, and he will be making games that are a little different than what he's previously made.

Ra1den

・When asked what he will be working on in the future, Ikeda says that the company as a whole has to focus on games where players connect with each other, and he will be making games that are a little different than what he's previously made.

Welp, glad we've already got enough Cave shmups to last the rest of our lives.

But I coulda sworn that with the DLC included in the games, that would still work even if the company shut down and the stuff were removed. IIRC, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 was still redeemable even after it was removed from XBLA, provided you had a code for it.

Oh that's good to hear.

jlevel13

There's an interview on Famitsu with Ikeda and Asada that just went up where they go into info about Mushi 1.5 and SDOJ here:

Some details:

・Mushi 1.5 will be their last package release, and they are considering new platforms
・This was news to me: the Mushi Arrange in Mushihimesama HD is an "improved" version of the PS2 Arrange Mode. I had assumed it was the same thing, but this piques my interest.
・SDOJ was very well-received, but it will be their last arcade PCB. They are considering NESSiCA but have no plans at the moment.

Thanks for the news :(

What's NESSiCA?

hipgnosis

Some details:

Fuck this. They really are dead huh. :( So glad they released almost their whole cataloque for the 360 before this happened, I'll be playing these games for years. Shitty news for shmup fans, this'll be pretty much death of the genre as we know it.

Hopefully Mushi HD gets localized.

Danny Dudekisser

So I guess that means that Cave actually is, for all intents and purposes, dead. Nobody will give a fuck about them if they go into social games.

And it sucks that Mushihimesama is supposedly their last packaged release. Makes me think they're probably not going to release any other older stuff at this point... meaning it's probably time to hunt down those PCBs.

Though I should probably catch up on the 360 releases I haven't gotten yet... never did get Pink Sweets/Muchi (because it looks shitty), Deathsmiles II, or Daifukkatsu Black Label Arrange. Perhaps I should remedy this at some point.

Top Bottom