• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nerd Crew: A Pop Culture Podcast by Red Letter Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

Oh my god the Avengers hot dogs killed me.

EDIT: You know, I'm wondering if those "hot dogs" were supposed to be a really dumb and stupid reference to the Vienna conference in Civil War but Rich completely missed it. Or maybe I'm thinking too hard about it!

This. Jay didn't break out of character once on camera. If you were to put him into an actual podcast like this, he would not look out of place at all.

We need to test this theory. Put Jay on the Collider cast and one of the jackasses from that show on Nerd Crew and see what happens.

Fat4all

Banned
98BmzJ.gif

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
This. Jay didn't break out of character once on camera. If you were to put him into an actual podcast like this, he would not look out of place at all.

He definitely broke during the unboxing, and I think when Mike hit his head on the mic while nodding.

Watching the video I Couldn't help but remember gaf had a 30 pages thread about the new title. To be fair not all posts were about the title, I assume.

None of them would.

They're all doing the same th--

--there you go

Half that thread was people bitching about other people posting RLM memes.

It was more like 1/2 of it was bullshitting about Star Wars in general, 1/4 of it was you posting EndlessTrash, a couple pages of people annoyed at endlesstrash, and the other 1/4 was just me spraying syllables all over the place like I know what I'm talking about instead of just being a bald hobbit in Portland with too much free time.

He definitely broke during the unboxing, and I think when Mike hit his head on the mic while nodding.

It is true, there were a few "b-roll" moments that they left in for comedic effects. But he cracked less times than Rich and Mike. Rich totally crashed when he started opening the Geek Crates. But his combination of improvisation and natural reactions made it hilarious.

My god this was one of their funniest video, they struck gold with this concept.

There you go

I've never seen this before.

Jay is really really good at this. He also used his usual indy film language to praise Disney.

Also we need a gif of "Sony is the best" stat!

Sorry to interrupt but I absolutely loved this video. I mean I've not sat down to actually watch this due to my crippling diabetes but as a creator of exclusive content on Neogaf if this replaced half in the bag then that would be VERY COOL.

I don't mean to walk all over you, but as a creator who works on exclusive content with my own Star Wars podcast and sometimes link to my own tweets and thinkpieces written for exclusive websites, I, too, would prefer this taking over Half in the Bag and everything else. I also have crippling diabetes.

Why are they feeding into this bullshit about reviews being paid for by studios, though.

I mean, the satire (such as it is) isn't bad, and the phrase "grundle" is never not funny, but they know their audience is pretty fucking gullible, and a bunch of em probably buy this bullshit narrative that studios are out here purchasing film critics.

Why give that weight when it's pretty much weightless?

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
Why are they feeding into this bullshit about reviews being paid for by studios, though.

I mean, the satire (such as it is) isn't bad, and the phrase "grundle" is never not funny, but they know their audience is pretty fucking gullible, and a bunch of em probably buy this bullshit narrative that studios are out here purchasing film critics.

I always saw it as a minor jab at other podcasters who have to mentioned they went to the premiere of whatever movie

I always saw it as a minor jab at other podcasters who have to mentioned they went to the premiere of whatever movie

Are they upset they weren't invited or something? I still don't get it.

Some critics go to premieres pretty frequently. Most of em get their own special screenings in empty theaters, too.

it plays as "we won't be bought like these other stupid shows who willingly take a couple fingers to the grundle for free merchandise," which just more or less feeds into the silly notion that studios are out here buying film critics.

They're not.

(also it's gonna be less than a couple weeks before that clapping gif is used unironically.)

Phased

Yeah I always just assumed it was a poke at people who subtle brag they went to an exclusive premiere or whatever when they review a big movie.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.

I dont think it's being upset as I mentioned mostly just parody on other podcasters. Kinda like how they mock the Lootcrate sponsorships that's in a lot of other nerd/geek/whatever podcast.

Charamiwa

Banned

Heh, when you see John Campea going to the Star Wars premiere, taking pictures with Bob Eiger and Kevin Feige, going back into his studio that same night still giddy with excitement to do their review, you can see how that satire could apply. They're not bought obviously, but they're clearly in this LA bubble.

I remember Collider (AMC at the time) during the Age of Ultron days, the hype was so high it was all they talked about for months, discussing how it could become the best super hero movie of all time. Campea was doing Q&A with the whole cast and Feige days before the premiere, and when they came back they all praised the film, giving it 9/10 and completely unable to be even a little critical. It took a few weeks for them to admit that maybe this wasn't the great movie they were saying it was. The film didn't make any of their top 10 come december.

jman2050

Some critics go to premieres pretty frequently. Most of em get their own special screenings in empty theaters, too.

it plays as "we won't be bought like these other stupid shows who willingly take a couple fingers to the grundle for free merchandise," which just more or less feeds into the silly notion that studios are out here buying film critics.

They're not.

(also it's gonna be less than a couple weeks before that clapping gif is used unironically.)

What do entertainment podcast groups have to do with film critics?

Heh, when you see John Campea going to the Star Wars premiere, taking pictures with Bob Eiger and Kevin Feige, going back into his studio that same night still giddy with excitement to do their review, you can see how that satire could apply. They're not bought obviously, but they're clearly in this LA bubble.

I remember Collider (AMC at the time) during the Age of Ultron days, the hype was so high it was all they talked about for months. Campea was doing Q&A with the whole cast and Feige days before the premiere, and when they came back they all praised the film, giving it 9/10 and completely unable to be even a little critical. It took a few weeks for them to admit that maybe this wasn't the great movie they were saying it was. The film didn't make any of their top 10 come december.

That's more than fair, you're right. Critics shouldn't be like, disbarred from schmoozing at a screening, but I don't know that it's gonna be good for the review, or for the quality of your content, if you run screaming straight from a big premiere to your home studio with zero reflection on what you just watched. Or if you're only going to the premiere to schmooze, and not to watch the movie.

The Collider Guys are one of the better Morning Zoo Crews out there, and lord knows there's a ton to go at Morning Zoo Crews for, but there's also just this mildly gone-over self-satisfaction in the parody at times. I dunno. It's not as if both shows don't share a sense of artificiality about everything.

Huh. I guess now that I'm thinking more about it, this is basically just O&A vs. Stern. But on YouTube. With professional movie dorks.

What do entertainment podcast groups have to do with film critics?

They're film critics

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

They're not.

I mean, in the case of Star Wars and stuff the whole thing does reek of, to compare to the video game press, the whole "review event" thing where publishers would fly people out to be part of a big swanky launch thing and review the game. Which was and is incredibly skeevy

I mean, in the case of Star Wars and stuff the whole thing does reek of, to compare to the video game press, the whole "review event" thing where publishers would fly people out to be part of a big swanky launch thing and review the game. Which was and is incredibly skeevy

Yeah, it can be skeevy, but I guess it depends on whether the person invited decides to indulge in all that extra-curricular bullshit. Which I've seen a few times when I was at the few junkets I've attended.

But junkets are also nowhere near a new thing, either. They've been going on since probably before both of us were born. The overall sanctity of film criticism has managed to stay relatively intact despite the bullshit. I don't know if the junkets for games goes much differently, but it's not like the reputation of games critics is all that well regarded, either, for a multitude of reasons, I guess.

But as was pointed out: The Collider Morning Zoo probably can't say they're unaffected by all that swag bag bullshit. And it didn't occur to me as I was watching (it shoulda) that the jab wasn't so much at the ridiculous notion that studios are out here purchasing film critics (wander into a DECU thread here if you wanna see that narrative get fed) but more at the notion Campea/Harloff/Ellis are corrupted by having gotten their invites and acting the fan/tourist instead of the critic while they were there.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, it can be skeevy, but I guess it depends on whether the person invited decides to indulge in all that extra-curricular bullshit. Which I've seen a few times when I was at the few junkets I've attended.

But junkets are also nowhere near a new thing, either. They've been going on since probably before both of us were born. The overall sanctity of film criticism has managed to stay relatively intact despite the bullshit. I don't know if the junkets for games goes much differently, but it's not like the reputation of games critics is all that well regarded, either, for a multitude of reasons, I guess.

But as was pointed out: The Collider Morning Zoo probably can't say that. And it didn't occur to me as I was watching (it shoulda) that the jab wasn't so much at the ridiculous notion that studios are out here purchasing film critics (wander into a DECU thread here if you wanna see that narrative get fed) but more at the notion Campea/Harloff/Ellis are corrupted by having gotten their invites and acted the fan/tourist instead of the critic while they were there.
Yeah its basically this. Same with the VG space again, publishers/studios realizing if they can treat enthusiastic fans well they can ensure boatloads of gushingly enthusiastic coverage

Yeah its basically this. Same with the VG space again, publishers/studios realizing if they can treat enthusiastic fans well they can ensure boatloads of gushingly enthusiastic coverage

I feel like the gaming side is way more ripe for this sort of needling, simply because the amount of time it took for criticism to become so democratized in gaming vs. film was so much shorter, and the spread of YouTube "journalism" for lack of a better term, is so much more widespread in gaming than in film, that the low-level/easily-avoided junket corruption tends to pack more punch there. A lot of the "tastemakers" and "influencers" on YouTube will push the same flimsy "I never said I was a critic" bullshit that Jahns will push (he's a critic) but the difference is that they not only believe it, the whole reason they got into this shit in the first place was to get free shit from studios/producers.

Even the worst film critics (even the YouTube ones) are, I've found, people who actually give a shit about movies, and not so much fleecing a promotional system.

It seems a lot more imbalanced the other way when it comes to gaming personalities in the enthusiast press.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This is the greatest satire ever created since The Onion and the current state of American Poli-- oh wait.

Haha, I'm sure Mike and Jay prepared the backpack and Rich is opening this blind. OMG, the GhostBusters toy.

Jay's outfit is amazing.

This is the greatest satire ever created since The Onion and the current state of American Poli-- oh wait.

Haha, I'm sure Mike and Jay prepared the backpack and Rich is opening this blind. OMG, the GhostBusters toy.

Jay's outfit is amazing.
Mhmm. At first I thought it was just a slightly worse version of the first video, and then the real show started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom