• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

oktarb

My mind still boggles at the fact I can play EVE on my iPad(3) via Splashtop Remote. It's not perfect and I wouldn't PvP but still a mind fuck for me.

pxleyes

Banned
well then iOS is not that efficient.
because, without checking my ram available when i feel its slower, i check it and oh bam im around 20-50.
so yeah Ios will never make it go to 0 , it would crash, but it can go quite low and slow

Except that isn't how iOS works. When you launch an app, the other app you were using is no longer using ANY processing power. A small footprint exists in the RAM to bring it back from sleep, but there is literally no advantage to closing apps manually. None, zippo, zilch. This isn't up for debate. It is a tried and true fact.

Well I set an appointment to visit the apple store tomorrow. Hopefully they exchange it for free and if not at least a fee under $75 to get it fixed.

Man when I had android products they never fell, but now That I've switched to apple they wanna fall :(

mcawesome

Neo Member
So far I am loving this. I have not had any heating, or yellow screen issues. However the iPad will not charge when I plug it to the charger sometimes. I don't know if this is normal or not. If it isn't is it to late to take it to the apple store?

I saw a one time purchase for Applecare for $29, might do that if tomorrow doesn't go well. I think i'm gonna start getting Applecare now...

If you didn't buy applecare+ at the time of purchase, they require a physical inspection of the tablet before they'll give you applecare+ coverage..

You might get lucky and they'll give you a new one.. always worth a shot.

ComicGlass users, is there a way to import an entire folder of comics or to import comics into an already existing folder in the app? Currently I am making an empty folder, adding comics to ComicGlass (which puts them on the main menu), then 1 by 1 clicking them to "move to folder X." Tedious with the amount of comics I plan on reading

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Is there a reason the ipad can't pull gmail contacts (er, iOS I guess)? If I want to send an email via the email client I have to go look up the address...

Vyer

So far I am loving this. I have not had any heating, or yellow screen issues. However the iPad will not charge when I plug it to the charger sometimes. I don't know if this is normal or not. If it isn't is it to late to take it to the apple store?

Have you tried different plugs to test? When using the official charger it starts charging when I plug it in, so I don't know that that's normal.

are you using the actual included charger, or are you referring to plugging the usb cord into your computer? most computers won't charge it via usb, not enough powah. It'll say "not charging" by the battery to show this.

mcawesome

Neo Member
Using the actual 10w charger. I've tried using different cables as well as pluging other iOS devices in. The other devices will charge but the iPad will not.

are you using the actual included charger, or are you referring to plugging the usb cord into your computer? most computers won't charge it via usb, not enough powah. It'll say "not charging" by the battery to show this.

Even though it says "not charging" it still is. it is just very, very slow. Underpowered USB is to blame. I love plugging my devices into USB 3.0 slots though. Charges them even while the laptop is off! :)

Enco

So I've had it for a short while and here are my opinions:

+ Dat screen
+ Dat portability
+ Dem apps

+/- The heat issue has been completely overblown. The iPad gets very slightly warm but it's by no means a deal breaker (and I hate things that heat up)
+/- The yellow tint is also a pretty much non existent issue for me. Don't have an iPad 2 to compare it to but it seems perfectly fine to me

- Light bleeding

see5harp

When I plug my iPad into my macbook it does charge, but I've noticed that it charges twice as fast just plugged into the wall. I've gotten used to just leaving it plugged in and using the wifi sync so there's really no reason to have my iPad anywhere near my laptop anymore. That is pretty awesome awesome USB3.0 though.

When I plug my iPad into my macbook it does charge, but I've noticed that it charges twice as fast just plugged into the wall. I've gotten used to just leaving it plugged in and using the wifi sync so there's really no reason to have my iPad anywhere near my laptop anymore. That is pretty awesome awesome USB3.0 though.

All Apple iOS products seem to charge faster when in the wall. but my iOS products charge the FASTEST when plugged into an Xbox 360 and PS3

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I have an Amazon USB extension cable that I used with my iPad 2 so I could use my iPad wherever in a room and reach an outlet, my iPad 2 would fully charge in an hour or so using it, but with my new iPad it's gone up about 14% in 2 hours.

Took it off and used the base (short as crap) cable and it seems to be moving a bit faster. Are there any extension cables that don't slow down charging?

see5harp

ComicGlass users, is there a way to import an entire folder of comics or to import comics into an already existing folder in the app? Currently I am making an empty folder, adding comics to ComicGlass (which puts them on the main menu), then 1 by 1 clicking them to "move to folder X." Tedious with the amount of comics I plan on reading

I know it's very easy to move stuff into folders and folders within folders using Comic Zeal. Actually if you're already in a folder in comiczeal, start the sync to move, when you get back to comic zeal it's already set up folders using file names within the folder you were in.

TxdoHawk

All this heat stuff is crazy. There must be something wildly different between some of these iPads. I have verizon lte 32gb and have never felt it heat up.

Probably quirks and variances in the initial manufacturing run. That's the only logical way you can explain why some people's iPads are getting so hot that they are shutting themselves down. I remember there was a big to-do about heat the last time Macbook Pros were updated, too.

This sort of stuff is inevitable at launch (small cramped spaces = easier for small manufacturing mistakes to have large repercussions), and once people exchange their defectives and production stops going crazy, this "scandal" will largely dissipate.

In related news...I went and checked out one of these bad boys today on my lunch break. Was definitely warm on the left side, not blisteringly so but I can see getting a sweaty palm after awhile. Again though, max brightness plugged in etc etc. None of my iPad 2-owning friends are impressed enough to want to upgrade, which is annoying because I want to know what the device is like away from that thermal nightmare state.

The screen is definitely nice for browsing...I wouldn't quite call it mind-blowing, but I think it will be one of those things where one's appreciation will depend highly on their app use. The talk about being able to fullscreen comics and read them legibly is exciting, that's for sure.

By which method are you adding comics to ComicGlass? What is your computer?
I know it's very easy to move stuff into folders and folders within folders using Comic Zeal. Actually if you're already in a folder in comiczeal, start the sync to move, when you get back to comic zeal it's already set up folders using file names within the folder you were in.
Glass kinda does this.

Maybe it was a bit more than that, but it seemed to charge super fast. Especially compared to this one. Bigger battery now, yeah, but man, this one crawls.
I've only charged my 3 once, from 10% to 100% seemed to take about 6 hours.

I imagine my iPad 2 charged from 10% to 100% in about 3 hours.

TxdoHawk

I actually had Clear for awhile, along with a mobile hotspot, and service was decent and speeds were acceptable when you were in one of their coverage areas. The price was solid for unlimited data as well.

That said, I canceled my Clear service yesterday after signing up for Verizon LTE on the new iPad. The two services aren't even close. Verizon is WAY faster, has better coverage and falls back to 3G when ever necessary. The fact that the iPad can serve as a mobile hotspot was simply the death knell for Clear for me. Although I have to admit, they did their damnedest to keep me as a customer when I called to cancel.

Yeah, the speed is a joke by comparison but man, the iSpot plan is nuts. $25 a month for unlimited 4G only is insane. I'm going to be sad if I ever get to the point where my iSpot dies and replacing it is too expensive. I've seriously considered snapping up one or two on Ebay just to keep around. Dunno how good an idea that is now though, with Clear sounding the death knell to Wimax.

see5harp

Glass kinda does this.

For me I have a pretty standard naming scheme on my actual PC, so I never have to do to much organization within the app. I like with Comic Zeal that you can actually move comics in the list to wherever you want, so issues that release out of sequence (like Chew #27) you can put in the correct order.

X-Frame

Grand Central Apple Store is out of Verizon 64 GB models. Damnit.

Oh well, I didn't get my hopes up. I'll try every couple days.

see5harp

I've only charged my 3 once, from 10% to 100% seemed to take about 6 hours.

I imagine my iPad 2 charged from 10% to 100% in about 3 hours.

This is probably more like what I've experienced. I went from 40% to 100% in a 2-3 hours on the New iPad. That's not really too bad. If you are using USB 2.0 while using it though, it really will take about an hour to move 10%.

This is probably more like what I've experienced. I went from 40% to 100% in a 2-3 hours on the New iPad. That's not really too bad. If you are using USB 2.0 while using it though, it really will take about an hour to move 10%.
Hard to get used to though. I really hope a fast charger is a possibility.

TKR92

The heat thing is a not crazy news. I'm pretty sure it's not a widespread issue.

But my Wifi & LTE ones got easily warm and sometimes feel uncomfortable (much warmer than iPad2).

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I charge over night, so it could take 8 hours and wouldn't bother me. I can get an extremely full day out of a single charge so I never have to charge when I am not asleep.

see5harp

Hard to get used to though. I really hope a fast charger is a possibility.

I think the right way to use the device is to not worry if you're at 50% or something. If you've got to run to work, grab the iPad and bolt. For me 50% is probably enough to last an entire day. Most of the time I don't even bother charging or turning it off.

Top Bottom