• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

cackhyena

Jesus are some of the cases out there ridiculously priced. Can someone point me towards any affordable cases? I had my eye on the Blurex one, but it's for iPad 2. Not sure I should take the chance.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Any more people in NYC that activated LTE want to share their speeds?

i posted mine earlier, but i've noticed speeds in excess of 20Mbps up and down through large parts of Queens and Manhattan. this morning i was able to stream WatchESPN on my Express Bus commute to work with zero interruption and great video quality the entire way. Trying that on AT&T's 3G is laughable.

the flip side is that I've already burned through 1GB of my cap in less than a day. This doesn't bode well for the rest of the month...

Since some are reporting a cool feeling iPad, I'm going to bring mine back to the Apple store and exchange for a new one and see if this is a common issue or indicative of production issues.

MercuryLS

Banned
Since some are reporting a cool feeling iPad, I'm going to bring mine back to the Apple store and exchange for a new one and see if this is a common issue or indicative of production issues.

The first iPad I had got super, scorchingly hot during syncing and was still quite hot during some use cases. The new one I have here is slightly warm during syncing, I'm expecting it to be pretty cool during use.

I think there may be some production issues causing some iPads to get too hot.

soldat7

It's less case and more sleeve.

The quality is really good. The wool is cut accurately and the stitches seem fine. It also feels good (more soft than scratchy), plus: there is absolutely no bad smell because the materials are not processed with the usual chemicals.

If I could use it I would definitely keep it.

Thanks for te description. Exactly what I'm looking for.

Never thought playing Theme Park would make the iPad super warm to touch.

It's a hidden new feature. There are cars with heated seats. It's what separates luxury items from the pedestrian.

Or maybe you can do like myself and exchange it for a different one if it's a serious issue.

MercuryLS

Banned
I think the heat issues has a lot to do with the display brightness. With my brightness turned down to about 70-80% the heat issues disappeared. At 100% brightness the iPad gets very hot depending on what you're doing. Considering 100% brightness is too bright for me, this is fine for me.

Prezhulio

Just got mine in tonight and loving it so far!

Quick question:

I have a MacBook (2007) MagSafe charger that can be detached and act as an extender as the charger that came with the iPad seems to fit right in and charge fine. After about 30 minutes I happened to notice the brick had gotten extremely hot, so I've all but concluded I wasn't supposed to do that.

Have i damaged anything by doing this?

lexi

Banned
I run at 100%

sunshine-6.jpg

paparazzo

Is the volume button supposed to control the sleep/wake sounds? I have it turned all the way off but the sounds are still happening loudly when I lock or unlock the iPad.

edit: nevermind, just found the setting. lol

Does anyone know of any resellers that are selling AppleCare+ for under $99? I'm not sure I really need it, but if I could get a good deal I'd probably purchase it.

dwebo

Just got mine in tonight and loving it so far!

Quick question:

I have a MacBook (2007) MagSafe charger that can be detached and act as an extender as the charger that came with the iPad seems to fit right in and charge fine. After about 30 minutes I happened to notice the brick had gotten extremely hot, so I've all but concluded I wasn't supposed to do that.

Have i damaged anything by doing this?
No, the brick will get pretty hot regardless. The only issue I had with the macbook cord extension was that it was pretty damn hard to take back off the ipad brick, so I've since stopped using it.

Alex

I really wish data plans weren't so absurdly tiny. I'd probably get a 4g iPad if they weren't so minuscule.

Vyer

As a test, I went ahead and picked up the cheap AT&T LTE plan just to see how far 250mb would go. Hint: Not very far.

Also, I had intended on exchanging it out for the Verizon model but I'm a little wary because I have not found any other issues at all, from screen to heat to battery life. I don't want to get too OCD and make an exchange, find something I don't like, and then start the vicious cycle.....

Really the only thing I'm losing is the Hotspot feature. Supposedly ATT will add that at some point. Otherwise, I would need it for work, but I stay within the city and LTE is supported here, so that's not an issue. The speed is great, so that's not an issue either. Hmmm...

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
LTE with a limit of 5gb seems entirely useless to me. What use does that speed have when you can't use it on any large files? You can't watch movies, you can't download large files, no real need for online games.

Been typing out more stuff with my new BT keyboard and holy crap does typing on this thing feel good. Coupled with the iPad itself, I swear I don't ever want to use my laptop again.

Trying to decide if Pages is worth the money or if I can find another word app like it. I seriously wish there was MSOffice on the app store - all my productivity needs would be answered immediately.

Only downside with the keyboard is that spellcheck doesn't seem to want to pop up when I misspell a word correctly, so I've been trying to make sure that I'm spelling correctly.

So my iPad has decided to stop showing up in my iTunes sidebar, making it unable to wireless sync. My phone and OG iPad are showing up fine. Google is getting me nowhere-anybody else having this problem? I'm on a Mac, BTW.

edit: I've restarted iTunes, the iPad, tried unchecking the options to wirelessly sync, then rechecking them, and it shows up fine when connected to USB. Was showing up fine until today-or, I didn't notice it until this evening.

Been typing out more stuff with my new BT keyboard and holy crap does typing on this thing feel good. Coupled with the iPad itself, I swear I don't ever want to use my laptop again.

Trying to decide if Pages is worth the money or if I can find another word app like it. I seriously wish there was MSOffice on the app store - all my productivity needs would be answered immediately.

Only downside with the keyboard is that spellcheck doesn't seem to want to pop up when I misspell a word correctly, so I've been trying to make sure that I'm spelling correctly.
I saw you got the same keyboard I did, it's great, compact, light, but comfortable. Between this and my stylus coming tomorrow, I think I'm pretty much set for classes now.

As far as Pages goes, I was pretty disappointed. There were a lot of features missing that I like having, like header customizations. You can't designate specific headers for specific pages. It's not quite Word in app form, but it does get the job done. Let me know if you find any other apps though.

Teddman

I must say, Maroo is going above and beyond with their customer service by sending us new and fixed cases and not even bothering us with the hassle of sending the old one back.

Great company, and I really do love the case(moko)

It is nice, but it's pretty common, Incipio did the same thing with their first version of the IPad 2 NGP case. They can't sell them defective so why bother with returns?

RD4

So i've received my 32gb 4g New Ipad(3) and have run into a quandry. Whenever I watch an embedded youtube video (for example the Ipad 3 autopsy on http://www.tested.com), the video will not display in an HD resolution. If I point a different browser window to http://m.youtube.com and find the same video a HQ option is made available and I can watch it at a much better resolution.

Is this a known issue? I feel like I need to have two tabs open and do a lot of fiddling just to watch youtube videos that I find as I browse the web in a resolution that takes advantage of the great Ipad 3 screen.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So i've received my 32gb 4g New Ipad(3) and have run into a quandry. Whenever I watch an embedded youtube video (for example the Ipad 3 autopsy on http://www.tested.com), the video will not display in an HD resolution. If I point a different browser window to http://m.youtube.com and find the same video a HQ option is made available and I can watch it at a much better resolution.

Is this a known issue? I feel like I need to have two tabs open and do a lot of fiddling just to watch youtube videos that I find as I browse the web in a resolution that takes advantage of the great Ipad 3 screen.

Any suggestions appreciated.

I have the same problem, I just assumed it was a Tested problem.

mojiimbo

How does netflix run on this thing?
I tried a bunch of titles that look great on the PS3/TV app and they looked like they were barely a small step above DVD quality on the iPad app. The Hulu Plus app looks fantastic, though. The ABC app also looks nice and happens to be free.

Teddman

ComicGlass users, is there a way to import an entire folder of comics or to import comics into an already existing folder in the app? Currently I am making an empty folder, adding comics to ComicGlass (which puts them on the main menu), then 1 by 1 clicking them to "move to folder X." Tedious with the amount of comics I plan on reading

Put a ".pkg" at the end of your folder's name. When brought into ComicGlass, it will recognize it as a folder. Simple!

EDIT: The above works when using iTunes to transfer, haven't tried it with other transfer apps.

I use FileBrowser or FilesConnect to add comics to my iPad and just delete as I read... I really think putting a lot of thought into in-app comic organization is a waste of time. Just organize on your computer or NAS, it's always going to have more space for your collection. Think of the iPad as a front end reader.

amrihua

Shipping times improved on the new iPad, Apple went from saying I'll have it by 4/4 to saying I'll have it by 3/27. Can't wait. *fingers crossed*

DJ_Lae

Weird, just noticed a bit of a light leak from the backlight when my girlfriend was using it in landscape orientation beside me earlier - anyone else's have the same issue?

FeDft.jpg

It doesn't seem to affect the screen itself when viewed from the front, but man is bright on an angle.

No Apple store anywhere near here, either, I'd hate to know how long it would take to get this thing replaced. And it being my first iPad, I've become obsessed with it very quickly.

amrihua

Weird, just noticed a bit of a light leak from the backlight when my girlfriend was using it in landscape orientation beside me earlier - anyone else's have the same issue?

It doesn't seem to affect the screen itself when viewed from the front, but man is bright on an angle.

No Apple store anywhere near here, either, I'd hate to know how long it would take to get this thing replaced. And it being my first iPad, I've become obsessed with it very quickly.

Doesn't it go away with usage after some time?

Top Bottom