• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

For me I have a pretty standard naming scheme on my actual PC, so I never have to do to much organization within the app.
I have more of a folder/org scheme, I can't imagine everything in one giant folder
I like with Comic Zeal that you can actually move comics in the list to wherever you want, so issues that release out of sequence (like Chew #27) you can put in the correct order.
I don't think Glass does that (I've never tried) but it seems like something that would be extremely uncommon.

Karud

I just received my Pack & Smooch iPad sleeve but I need to send it back.
I noticed that my usage doesn't get along with an iPad which is totally unprotected without any case. And based on the fact how the back from my current Speck iPad 1 shell looks the new iPad will look bad. I hope for amazing Speck Cases, or go with an incipio Feather in the end...

see5harp

I have more of a folder/org scheme, I can't imagine everything in one giant folder

No what I mean is that my comics are all named by title and issue number on my PC. So when I import, for example, an entire directory of Powers comic zeal automatically dumps all of them into a folder called Powers (the user doesn't do anything besides drag the files into iTunes). I'm never creating folders in Comic zeal or moving stuff around unless of course I went subfolders for v1, v2, or miniseries.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I really want to win one of these and I'm trying harder to win one than I have anything else ever. lol

I have never owned an iOS device and really want to see what/if I'm missing out on anything. I'm too broke to buy one so trying to win one will have to do. I'm so glad I setup a fake email account to try and do this. The amount of spam that account now gets is mind blowing.

Anyone know of any more IPAD contests I can enter?

Interesting email conversation I've been having over the last few days with Margaret Fung from Nuu. Firstly she claimed that the iPad 2 BaseCase would not fit (just before the launch, so she was probably guessing), and I asked her about the new BaseCase that is listed on their site and on Amazon for release on April 10th:
Margaret said:
Yes, the April 10 date on Amazon seems accurate, as they are currently still in production.

We have tried out the existing cases on the new iPad, and they do actually fit (please disregard my previous comment about the BaseCase not fitting). Therefore you may wish to purchase the BaseCase Vivid or Stripe from our website. We don’t have a guarantee against them cracking, but BaseCase Vivid and Stripe cases were manufactured at different facilities to the regular BaseCase and we have not heard of any cracks or breaks occurring in these items.

To which I replied:
Me said:
Thanks for your email. It's interesting that you say that, because I tried fitting my old BaseCase on the new iPad and it immediately snapped in the top left (smart cover side). This could be because it was already cracked, but it certainly felt like a tighter fit.

I'm not keen on the Stripe or Vivid designs, as I want the most unnoticeable case, which is the plain white one. Are the new versions for the new iPad made in the same facilities as the Vivid and Stripe models?

She responded:
Margaret said:
Because of the compatibility with both iPad models, the decision has been made to continue shipping the old BaseCase that we still have in stock, rather than continue production on new stock. Therefore, it would make no difference to wait until April 10, as the item would remain the same.

I understand your hesitation at purchasing it due to the crack in your previous case, but please let me know if it happens again and I will see what I can do in terms of a replacement or an alternative.

So this is extremely confusing. The BaseCase definitely felt under a lot more stress as I tried to fit it to the new iPad, but they have taken the decision to claim that it is now compatible with both. I'm tempted to risk another one, because the iPad 2 ones are a tad cheaper now...

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
so i just bought a book for kindle and i can see it on my PC and on my iphone but why not on my Ipad? other books show up on all devices.

Just arrived:

95d228df.jpg

I'll test it out later at home. I like the size of it and look of it.

By which method are you adding comics to ComicGlass? What is your computer?

Glass kinda does this.

Windows 7 PC, itunes. I click ComicGlass under apps and it only gives me Add and Save To. Save to appears to take it from the ipad and save on my PC. With Add, the default saving location is the main menu, even if I click the folder first, then add, or if I have the folder I want them in open on the iPad.

Husker86

tried that didnt work.

dont even know where this is? All i see is the up down arrow button the four sqaures button, cloud/device and the gear.

Deregistered the device and it showed up, but now game of thrones series is saying remove from device and redownload error.

Sorry, they may call it something else on iOS. I assume that would be the "cloud" section.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I just hopped into neogaf prime and after a little bit came running right back to seccondapps. There's no contest to the webapp being the better way to use the site on one of these. The preliminary for the final version is pretty perfect as far as functionality too, I just had to come back to see my old posts...hope you can do that on the web app soon.

MercuryLS

Banned
I broke down and got a 32gb wifi + 4G today. I couldn't resist having an always connected iPad at my disposal, especially at those insane LTE speeds.

Back you go 16gb wifi.

Windows 7 PC, itunes. I click ComicGlass under apps and it only gives me Add and Save To. Save to appears to take it from the ipad and save on my PC. With Add, the default saving location is the main menu, even if I click the folder first, then add, or if I have the folder I want them in open on the iPad.

Do you have to use iTunes? You can't use the wifi method?
No what I mean is that my comics are all named by title and issue number on my PC. So when I import, for example, an entire directory of Powers comic zeal automatically dumps all of them into a folder called Powers (the user doesn't do anything besides drag the files into iTunes). I'm never creating folders in Comic zeal or moving stuff around unless of course I went subfolders for v1, v2, or miniseries.
Yes, that is how Glass works via wifi, and it will copy over folders-in-folders (dunno if it'll go deeper).

Question about app sizes...If I have an iPad 2, will every app be fitted for the new iPads size? My mom really wants an iPad 2 but I don't feel like dropping money on a 16GB if its just gonna be filled up with high resolution apps that'll clog it

FreeMufasa

A very broad question but i'll be on a 15 hour flight soon. What are some good offline apps to mess about with? My main three things are

Kindle
GarageBand
Chuchu Rocket

Magnus

So, is the consensus that the Maroo cases are the way to go? And are any sweet deals or offers still going? I really dig my Apple Smartcover so far, but it's obviously going to do shit-all if I drop this beauty. Thanks for any advice/links!

MercuryLS

Banned
The IMDB app got updated for Retina. The posters and actor photos look great.

Awesome, IMDB was one of the first apps I loaded on the new iPad and it looked like ass. Man, I can't wait until the majority of apps are retina-upgraded, so far it's been happening at a decent pace.

kinggroin

Banned
Is it recommended to restart the iPad every one in a while? I've been getting a lot of force closes with Facebook, and flixster. My Flipboard also has a lot of hitches when scrolling through my articles.

MercuryLS

Banned
Is it recommended to restart the iPad every one in a while? I've been getting a lot of force closes with Facebook, and flixster. My Flipboard also has a lot of hitches when scrolling through my articles.

That sounds sketchy, I would try a hard reset (hold the home and lock buttons together for a few seconds). If it persists I would just swap it out for a new one. I haven't seen any apps kick me out on the new iPad.

asdad123

Are there Any screen protectors that you guys would recommend? I had a ghost armor on my iPad 2, but it made the screen feel a little sticky.

Neverfade

First post from my iPad. Thing is pretty incredible. I was a mild naysayer for a while (even though I own an iPhone) but its pretty clear now why apple dominates the tablet market.

Fox Mulder

Are there Any screen protectors that you guys would recommend? I had a ghost armor on my iPad 2, but it made the screen feel a little sticky.
I'm in the camp that feels it doesn't need a screen protector. I've had two ipads and a touchpad, and they hold up great with general use.

Even my smartphone screen is still flawless after almost two years, and I keep it in my pants pocket at work. I don't even treat it as well as my ipad.

None at all.

If you were truly worried about dropping it, and don't mind the $99 price tag, AppleCare+ would probably give you better peace of mind.

Toki767

This kind of sucks. I have a $300 gift card to Best Buy, but they're sold out of iPads. Meanwhile the Apple Store across the street has everything in plentiful stock. Decisions, decisions.

I just noticed that not all the content on BBC's iPlayer is available on the iPad app. Just now I saw the film Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy listed on the site, and I just looked for it on my iPad and it's not there... what's the dealio?

DasRaven

Just arrived:

95d228df.jpg

I'll test it out later at home. I like the size of it and look of it.

That's on my tech wishlist right now. I'll have to see my wife moves more of her composition/productivity work to the iPad first before I buy it. Looking forward to your impressions.

soldat7

I just received my Pack & Smooch iPad sleeve but I need to send it back.
I noticed that my usage doesn't get along with an iPad which is totally unprotected without any case. And based on the fact how the back from my current Speck iPad 1 shell looks the new iPad will look bad. I hope for amazing Speck Cases, or go with an incipio Feather in the end...

How is the build quality on that Pack & Smooch case? I really, really want one. Does the Merino wool felt feel cheap?

My wife wants a keyboard really bad... She would rather have a laptop style case with keyboard.

I'm still looking around.

I think I might have to wait until the ones out there are designed for the New iPad.

Really quick review of the Amazon BT keyboard - decided to play with it while waiting for my comp to shut down.

- Extremely light & compact, but I never felt like my fingers were cramped.

- Pairs very fast, took like a few seconds to be detected and be paired

- Can use the multimedia keys

- Use the Option key + letter to access specific letters (if not familiar, google Mac Keyboard shortcuts) like ñ or ä

- Keyboard is glossy plastic while keys are textured matte plastic

Karud

How is the build quality on that Pack & Smooch case? I really, really want one. Does the Merino wool felt feel cheap?

It's less case and more sleeve.

The quality is really good. The wool is cut accurately and the stitches seem fine. It also feels good (more soft than scratchy), plus: there is absolutely no bad smell because the materials are not processed with the usual chemicals.

If I could use it I would definitely keep it.

Top Bottom