• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

I think it was added in some update way back, they seem pretty good about addressing some of the more major wants from people (aka copying major features from other apps).

Did Noteability always have zoom? I've had it for some time, but haven't used it for quite a while. I don't remember that feature. Maybe I should give it another try. I usually use NoteTaker HD myself in zoom-mode. I'm not sure what features DarthWufei is looking for, but there are more in NoteTaker than I've ever used. It seems packed with features. I have a few of the pay apps like Noteability, Penuntlimate and NoteTaker HD.
I have the same apps you do, NoteTaker is my personal fave right now that I've gotten used to writing. I actually will prolly try GhostWriter as someone else mentioned, but the app seems to have issues on the new iPad which is making me hold purchase. I like the way the UI looks over NoteTaker, and it seems to be mostly the same app.

I was just looking for something that was capable of mimicking the experience of a Windows 7 Tablet PC. Palm rejection/guard, good HWR. I've gotten used to resting my hand on the screen and the iPad is just not made to distinguish stylus vs touch, hence the need for a wrist guard.

In ComiXology, how do you know which comics are CMX-HD? I have the app but never bought anything from it. Always had analysis paralysis :(
It's on the left side of the comic information area opposite of where you hit the button to purchase. Check the most recent releases and they should have the flag.

Very nice. I don't know about you, but I can never resist using tilt-shift on everything. It just works on so many kinds of pictures even if it's subtle, it does a lot to make up for the fixed aperture in iPhone/iPad cameras.

I'm honestly happy for you. When I read your story I felt really really bad. Apple Customer service never fails to impress. For every horror story there are hundreds of stories like yours.

Thanks, it went so smooth. If I had to I would've paid to get it fixed, but I'm soooo happy. Apple really scored some points with me today.

And the way the apple store app works while your in an apple store is so cool.

sfedai0

Banned
Thanks, it went so smooth. If I had to I would've paid to get it fixed, but I'm soooo happy. Apple really scored some points with me today.

And the way the apple store app works while your in an apple store is so cool.

Clarify on that? Does it become more magical if you buy apps on your iPad, while inside a Apple Store?

SuperPac

He means the the 'Apple Store' app, and not the App (Application) Store. Don't know what it does though. Hrmmm....

When you load up the Apple Store app from a brick & mortar Apple Store it brings up a different menu where you can ask for assistance, check into a Genius Bar appointment, or use a feature called EasyPay to pay for some items (mostly accessories) directly from your phone and walk out of the store without ever having to get help from someone who works there.

http://gigaom.com/apple/apple-store-2-0-brings-personal-pickup-and-easypay/

I used EasyPay on Tuesday night to buy a Smart Cover. Scanned the bar code, paid via the app, walked out with the item.

Vyer

When you load up the Apple Store app from a brick & mortar Apple Store it brings up a different menu where you can ask for assistance, check into a Genius Bar appointment, or use a feature called EasyPay to pay for some items (mostly accessories) directly from your phone and walk out of the store without ever having to get help from someone who works there.

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/11...-to-add-easypay-and-personal-pickup-features/

I used EasyPay on Tuesday night to buy a Smart Cover. Scanned the bar code, paid via the app, walked out with the item.

Wow, I didn't know about that. Don't go into the apple store very often. That's pretty damn cool though.

Husker86

That is awesome, but how are employees supposed to know if that's how you paid? I would feel so shady walking out with something after not talking to anyone. Even if all you have to do is show your phone if you get stopped, the actual part of getting stopped would be awkward I feel.

Is there something else they do to avoid this? I don't remember there being someone at the door at all times the few times I was in there.

SuperPac

Wow, I didn't know about that. Don't go into the apple store very often. That's pretty damn cool though.

Oh, I forgot some other cool things -

For store pickup or genius bar appointments - when you get to the store and load the app it'll ask you if you want to check in for whichever of those you did. When I did this to pickup a magic trackpad a few months ago a store employee came and found ME in the store with my item. Very cool.

numble

Clarify on that? Does it become more magical if you buy apps on your iPad, while inside a Apple Store?

f3baN.png

Quick

Banned

That's actually pretty damn cool. I haven't downloaded the app because I didn't think it was really useful outside of booking a Genius bar appointment.

I'm assuming a greeter checks your phone for the receipt and you're good to go.

Vyer

That is awesome, but how are employees supposed to know if that's how you paid? I would feel so shady walking out with something after not talking to anyone. Even if all you have to do is show your phone if you get stopped, the actual part of getting stopped would be awkward I feel.

Is there something else they do to avoid this? I don't remember there being someone at the door at all times the few times I was in there.

It seems there's just about always a greeter at the store closest to me. Though, again, I don't have a large sample size to pull from.

Of course, they have iPads too for checking reservations and such. I wonder if it alerts the greeter that a purchase has been made so they know what's about to walk out the door.

SuperPac

The receipt is in the app after your purchase is complete - if someone stops you, you can show it to them. No one stopped me when I bought the Smart Cover.

It does feel shady, but - it works as advertised. And nice when you just want to go pick up a random accessory and not have to flag down an associate to ring you up. I hear that for items that can't go entirely (like the Apple TV) through EasyPay if you try and scan them they'll put you in the help queue and someone will come find you to assist.

numble

It seems there's just about always a greeter at the store closest to me. Though, again, I don't have a large sample size to pull from.

Of course, they have iPads too for checking reservations and such. I wonder if it alerts the greeter that a purchase has been made so they know what's about to walk out the door.
There probably is an alert system since the app can alert staff to come to you when you ask to speak to someone.

Just picked up the beige smart over. Loving it. Just waiting for my vertical rickshaw case to roll in along with my Logitech keyboard. Going to try programming my website with my iPad. :)

Question. I have a over 30gb of raw photos on my home desktop. Obviously I cant fit these all locally on my iPad. Is there a way I can load these into iPhoto via my iPad and save back? Would this be something iCloud could handle?

Zzoram

How long until 2048x1536 content beyond apps?

Are the books high resolution? Does text in books look better regardless?

Blackhead

Redarse
Wohoo got the Zinio update for the new iPad. I bought Edge magazine on there and it's so much faster and smoother that the Edge app itself. Zinio also provides an option to display just the text of the article (like Instapaper, I never use that). I'm a bit torn between using Zinio for the multi platform support or sticking with the Edge app for features like Newsstand background updates and downloads :/

In related news

THE NEW YORKER ON THE NEW IPAD — UPDATED

The Pixel Peeps said:
Updated: 3.21.12 To my great delight, John Gruber and Dan Benjamin (@gruber, @danbenjamin ) call out this problem at even greater length and with more detail in their The Talk Show podcast #84. Starting at the 26:15 mark. Mr. Gruber also explains how the problem is a result of using Adobe tools to produce these digital magazines… which for this problem and many others proves to be a terrible idea.

I only mention The New Yorker, but the problem is the same for all Conde Nast magazines, and any others that use the same tools. It’s a terrible, terrible way to produce these magazines. It doesn’t take advantage of any of the benefits of the iPad. Infuriating.

—Original post below:

One of the limitations of The New Yorker app for iOS becomes even more apparent while reading on the new iPad’s high resolution retina display.

I’ve noticed in the past that the first few articles (Talk of the Town, etc.) in each issue are text selectable and therefore able to be copied, words can be defined using a built in dictionary, and these pieces can be emailed and tweeted. The rest of the magazine is like a tiff or jpeg — everything is baked into page and there is nothing you can do with the text.

This has always been annoying and I suspect is part of the reason each issue weighs in at hundreds of megabytes (a magazine of mostly text mind you). But now on the new iPad this becomes visually apparent. The first few text selectable articles look great and fully take advantage of the retina screen. The words are as clear as on a printed page. This is the same as on web pages or in iBooks or other apps with text. But the rest of the magazine looks completely low res. The letters are badly aliased. It looks worse than on the first two iPads. For some reason they don’t use rendered text for their main articles as they do for their first few shorter articles. And the baked in files, whatever they are, aren’t high res enough for the retina screen. And what’s terrible is that if they fix this, the file sizes of each issue will get even bigger. Perhaps twice as big.

I think they are scared of people being able to copy and paste their content and share it. But if they want to win over converts to the digital version of their very fine magazine, they need to get over their fear and make the best possible magazine for the iPad. Not cripple it in order to try to lock it down.

It’s Not About File Size: Why you should learn to stop worrying and love the new iPad

mag+ said:
There’s been a lot of chatter on the web this past week about the impact the new iPad, with its retina display and four times the pixels, might have on digital publications like those created on Mag+ or Adobe DPS, which render most of the content as images to present a pixel-perfect design experience, since this approach creates “large” files.

Of course these pieces are all speculative because no one has yet downloaded an iPad retina magazine. David Sleight—author of the first link above—ran some tests on images and came up with 6x or 7x size increases. It’s a valid experiment, but, as I’m sure David would admit, by no means conclusive. In tests with our own beta tools for outputting retina iPad content, we’re seeing more like 4x with absolutely no optimization (of which there’s plenty we can do). And I’ve no doubt the army of engineers at Adobe—which already produces larger file sizes than us because it requires unique layouts for each orientation—have solutions ready or in the works to help mitigate file bloat.

I want to be clear that I don’t have a problem with the raising of this question and I think it’s smart to run tests and ask publishers their take on the issue. But I think the discussion of this has been largely missing a bigger context, so I’d like to offer another viewpoint. File size matters to some, sure, but not nearly as much as what that big file offers. And this is where there is far more opportunity for content creators and curators (and the pundits who write about them) to spend their energy than in the relative benefits of the underlying platform language. That’s a fine debate to have among geeks like David and me, but I would suggest that it isn’t the one that’s ultimately going to make a real impact on a creator’s bottom line.

First, let me give some background on why we do things the way we do. When we built Mag+, we looked at every available technology, from PDF to HTML, but none supported the workflow and experience we felt creatives and users would want. As David points out, “HTML supports fancy design.” While there are some great examples of HTML design—5 Magazine or the stunning Katachi—there are limitations as well, in typographic and layout control, and we’re not convinced that the file size savings offered by something that’s purely HTML yet equals the tradeoffs in visual experience and workflow. The point is that what matters most is not the language but the end product, and we must be cautious not to sacrifice the value proposition for users to save a few megabytes. Of course this is an equation every publication has to calculate for itself, and we would never argue our solution is the right one for every use case. Eight of the top 10 grossing titles on Newsstand are image-based publications. The top two—The Daily and the New York Times—are not, and they shouldn’t be. They are daily (or more often) updated, CMS-driven and carry no expectation of a premium design experience—they’re about fast information dissemination. But suggesting that that solution applies to every publication is like taking Vogue to task for printing on glossy paper and not on newsprint. Hey, it’d be cheaper, and lighter for consumers!

A real-world example: Popular Photography+ is indisputably a niche publication for camera and photo geeks. Most of the information that’s in it you could find on the web—there are no shortage of photography and camera-review sites. And yet, PopPhoto has 30,000+ paid digital subscribers on the iPad—that’s 10 percent of its total rate base—and is adding hundreds more every month, and its digital business is profitable and has been for a long time. People are finding value in a curated, designed experience, even at that file size (about 150mb per issue), and the magazine is making a real business from it.

David makes a point in his post that I completely agree with: being able to treat text as text (and not pictures of text) in digital publications would be great. Less for the file size, but for all the other benefits it brings: search, selection, dictionary, etc. Mag+’s first several issues were in fact built that way, using the text renderer on the device. And we abandoned it because frankly the text looked terrible and designers kept asking: “What’s the point of creating layouts in a program that allows pixel-perfect typography if the app is going to destroy it?” and “Why would people pay for something that looks like a web site?” We also then had to embed fonts in the app, which was unsustainable with advertisers each wanting their own. There are solutions to this and it’s one of our biggest development priorities, but I would argue that this is still not the biggest problem content creators have.

No, the challenge content creators should be addressing is: “What can we deliver in this environment that people find value in?” The Walking Dead is the top selling TV show on iTunes. The HD version is not only more expensive than the SD version, it’s 2.5x the file size: 1.8GB for a 62-minute show. Try keeping a whole season of that on your 16GB iPad. We’ve seen in surveys that more than 40 percent of digital subscribers spend 60 minutes or more with an issue (80 percent spend 30 minutes or more). One of the most successful apps of 2010 was the book “The Elements” from Theo Gray (a PopSci columnist), which cost $13.99 and takes 1.7GB of space, and still has a 4-star rating.

What’s an hour of a great experience worth in megabytes? Who decided that there is an optimum size for a digital magazine? And what is it? 50MB? 200mb? Sitting and waiting for a magazine to download at any size is a hassle, but with Newsstand auto-downloads and progressive downloading (coming soon to Mag+), I think this has largely been mitigated.

My point is that I don’t believe people actually give a flying frog about file size—they care about value. And most content creation companies have not yet even begun to tap what can be done in this space. For instance, why not instead of just delivering Walking Dead as a video file, make it an “issue.” In it, you could have interviews with the actors, slideshows of behind the scenes photos, an interactive game, a live feed of news from the show AND the actual episode itself, playable in full-screen and over AirPlay. And because it’s a “publication,” you could subscribe to it! The total file size would be 1.82GB. Why isn’t a publisher doing this in partnership with AMC right now?

My favorite comment I’ve heard in this discussion yet is from Howard Mittman, publisher of Wired. Howard told Steve Smith of MIN ” … that’s why I’m a lot more focused on how this new retina display will enhance our future offerings. Change is good, more change is better.”

The retina iPad, with its print-link resolution and rich backlit color is going to give an industry whose value proposition is built on beautiful imagery, careful design and readable text the most amazing platform it’s ever had for all of those things. The right question to ask is: What are we going to do with it?

I’m not saying rendering all content as images is the only, or even the best, solution for digital publishing, and we’re by no means committed to this as a stratgy forever and all time. There are absolutely drawbacks—text not being text, memory management. What I’m suggesting is that it may be hyperbolic to use it as a reason to declare end of an experiment that’s really only just begun. Can you imagine if the TV industry would have looked at HD as its death knell? And let’s recognize the underlying benefits we get from these types of “large” file size systems and ensure we don’t sacrifice those on the alter of smaller sizes. HTML may well be the solution ultimately, but it a) is a broad prescription that can mean many things and b) not necessarily the panacea for all that ails us. Most of all, let’s all work toward giving people content that makes this new device shine and blows peoples’ minds. If we can do that, we’ll look back on this time not as the death of an old industry, but the birth of a new, much more exciting one.

Just wanted to pop in and say I'm officially in love with this thing. Quite a few holy shit' moments so far. Also, just found out I can undock they keyboard and move it up in portrait mode. So much more comfortable.

Wads

Banned
Can you do employee purchase (my work offers a discount - don't work for apple) or student purchase in store? Or, just online and have to wait a week?

I can't believe I had an iPad for 3 years and never downloaded Flipboard.

It's...wonderful. system-selling software. I feel guilty having not paid for it.

Flo_Evans

Question. I have a over 30gb of raw photos on my home desktop. Obviously I cant fit these all locally on my iPad. Is there a way I can load these into iPhoto via my iPad and save back? Would this be something iCloud could handle?

Not sure exactly what you are trying to do, but this is my current findings with iPhoto on the iPad.

Camera kit: can import raw or jpeg files into "photos" then iPhoto loads them on next startup. If you import raw files, iPhoto uses the embedded jpg for editing. IT DOES NOT EDIT RAW FILES! pretty much a waste of space unless you absolutely need to make some raw edits in the field. I set my camera to record raw+jpg and just import the jpegs.

Sync with iTunes: if you tell iTunes to sync your photos to your iPad from aperture (or i assume the OSX iphoto, i didnt test that) it makes a special version (it turned my 16mp raw files into 4mp jpegs) It seems from my math that iTunes is reducing the pixel dimensions by half. This works pretty well for viewing with a 16mp image because it is still bigger res than the iPad screen. Unfortunately though with a smaller image it still just chops it in half so it may be lower res than the screen!

Exporting: from what I can tell, everything in iPad iPhoto stays there until you export a jpeg/share it somewhere. I don't think you can keep the edits "live" and transfer back to the desktop version. Note: iPhoto is only 129mb but iPhoto documents and data is an additional 400mb! Not sure exactly what it is storing. It is not keeping a whole separate copy of the photo from your camera roll because if you delete it there it is gone in iPhoto.

I am still playing around with it, not sure exactly how I am going to use it in day to day photo taking. I think it is still a little rough and hopefully it can be improved and a smoother workflow can be sorted out.

Any suggestion for a good and well drawn series to get? This would be my first comic from it!
You're gonna have to check the comics thread for that, I'm not retry knowledgable. I've just been reading comics from the DC reboot.

A bunch of DC stuff got hit with a CMX-HD update and boy do they look stunning.

Vyer

Huh, didn't realize abc had a free player. It's even retina updated. Guess I can catch up with some modern family.

MercuryLS

Banned
You're gonna have to check the comics thread for that, I'm not retry knowledgable. I've just been reading comics from the DC reboot.

A bunch of DC stuff got hit with a CMX-HD update and boy do they look stunning.

I just checked out the updated app and it's amazing with the retina assets. Any free hd comics you'd recommend to a comics newbie? Or even some paid ones that are worth checking out?

see5harp

I just checked out the updated app and it's amazing with the retina assets. Any free hd comics you'd recommend to a comics newbie? Or even some paid ones that are worth checking out?

Saga is by far the best new series to hop on. First issue just came out last week I think.

It's $3 but it is in HD and I can already confirm that it's a very good first issue.

Edit: Hickman is a hot writer and the first issue of his creator owned book red wing is free and in HD. I find the art in that pretty great and unique.

MercuryLS

Banned
Saga is by far the best new series to hop on. First issue just came out last week I think.It's $3 but it is in HD and I can already confirm that it's a very good first issue.Edit: Hickman is a hot writer and the first issue of his creator owned book red wing is free and in HD. I find the art in that pretty great and unique.

Thank you!

see5harp

I have a bunch of sites and blogs. Wired, the new Yorker, some food blogs, etc. I avoid twitter because I find that really just makes a mess of your reading habits but I do like Facebook in there because it adds a nice touch to see pictures of your friends sometimes.

Vyer

I have flipboard, it's great on the ipad I've learned. Though I really need to do a better job of organizing/adding sources.

see5harp

Thank you!

No problem let me know if you like anything. I have noticed that the comics in HD look incredible If you're double tapping on each pane and reading them zoomed in. If you're looking at a comic as an entire page or a composition I find that the increase in resolution is much less obvious. I do love the screen but I really hope they don't try and charge extra for HD versions like they have with video.

Quick

Banned
So, I'm using an old Apple charger to charge my iPad, and it takes a long fucking time. I've had it plugged in since 1pm until around 5, and it's only gotten up to around 40% charged from 12%. I plugged it in again (haven't been touched) at around 9:30 pm, and I'm now at 67%.

My iPhone 4S takes about an hour or so to charge up to 100% with the same charger. I know they're completely different devices, but does it seriously take this long for it to charge up? Is there a way to make it charge faster?

Mr. Tone

So, I'm using an old Apple charger to charge my iPad, and it takes a long fucking time. I've had it plugged in since 1pm until around 5, and it's only gotten up to around 40% charged from 12%. I plugged it in again (haven't been touched) at around 9:30 pm, and I'm now at 67%.

My iPhone 4S takes about an hour or so to charge up to 100% with the same charger. I know they're completely different devices, but does it seriously take this long for it to charge up? Is there a way to make it charge faster?

An iPhone charger is only 5W, I think. The iPad charger is 10W. The battery on the iPad is much, much bigger than the battery on that iPhone.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
On the brightside, plug your iPhone into your iPad charger and it will charge super fast. (seriously)

see5harp

I did the same thing with the old charger I have at work. Its probably half as effective as the charger that came with my iPad.

Quick

Banned
An iPhone charger is only 5W, I think. The iPad charger is 10W. The battery on the iPad is much, much bigger than the battery on that iPhone.

I did the same thing with the old charger I have at work. Its probably half as effective as the charger that came with my iPad.

Well, that explains it. Thanks.

On the brightside, plug your iPhone into your iPad charger and it will charge super fast. (seriously)

Oh neat. I'll be doing this then. It won't damage the battery, right?

MasLegio

Banned
if I order a case directly from Maroo now I will get the correct design right?

looks like it is cheaper if I order directy from them instead of buying in sweden anyway

Top Bottom