• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

sfedai0

Banned
I dont know if Apple used Gorilla Glass way back when they released the OG iPod Touch, but the glass is still pristine on mine. Just a pass with a microfiber cloth and its new again. Love it.

Tobor

I dont know if Apple used Gorilla Glass way back when they released the OG iPod Touch, but the glass is still pristine on mine. Just a pass with a microfiber cloth and its new again. Love it.

They've been using Gorilla Glass since the first iPhone.

giga

It looks like Safari Scales images

comparison.png

source: macrumors

the only way to see the real resolution is to save the image
Looks like a webkit bug with jpegs. It doesn't affect pngs.

UPDATE: As of iOS 5.1, it appears there is an issue with high-resolution JPG images being presented in this manner. WebKit on Retina iPads will downscale the image and then upscale it again, leading to a significantly uglier image. The only known workaround is to use PNG images instead of JPGs (which obviously sucks for high-resolution images, which consume significantly more bandwidth than JPGs). Apple has been made aware of this issue: rdar://problem/11097671. If your image contains greater than 2 * 1024 * 1024 (2097152) pixels when you multiply the width and height together, you must use PNGs, or the image will not appear crisp on the Retina display.

http://www.quora.com/CSS3/What-is-t...stion-Whats-the-best-way-to-handle-2x-sprites

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2113200/Test/ipad_retina.html

Am i the only one that feels buying apps on the iPad a lot more appealing than buying them on the iPhone?

I've been with the iPhone since 3G but the but never really bought apps but now I can't stop buying them. I think the screen size and performance has a lot to do with it.

Has this been discussed?

If true it's a deal breaker for me. I'd want a Wifi only device and if I can't move around the house with it, or get a signal in my bed, which is not that close to my router, then this thing is useless.

What is your experience for those that have it?

Az

Has this been discussed?

If true it's a deal breaker for me. I'd want a Wifi only device and if I can't move around the house with it, or get a signal in my bed, which is not that close to my router, then this thing is useless.

Saw this issue but was hesitant asking, as recent iPad threads have been a nightmare.

Has this been discussed?

99.99% of people have good wifi experience. only people who want to complain complain about it. Ive never an issue. If you want . go to an apple store and test the new one right there or just buy it and then return it. easy.

Has this been discussed?

No issues here. Probably just a small occurrence here and there from a few units, I'd imagine.

Has this been discussed?

I think this would be much more discussed if it were a common issue, more so than the heat topic. I live in a small apt so I can't test stretch it to the limit, but I have had no problems connecting to wifi within my area.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Has this been discussed?

No issues for me either. I can lay in bed and use mine fine, my bed is about 30 feet from the router, so not on another floor, but certainly further than 6 feet. Maybe that dude has a crappy router.

Has this been discussed?

this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB9nI-Fv2o0&feature=youtu.be

no, mine doesn't do it.

edit: yes it does. if I hold it really tightly with my palm covering the data port, I can roughly half the wifi speed. But I don't hold mine like that. and I mean you have to REALLY grip it hard.

and in general, I haven't noticed any problems with wifi. I get all the bars I expect, and performance has been excellent on my dual-band routers.

Vyer

Has this been discussed?

No problems on mine

Presco

Has this been discussed?

Zero issues for me. Router is in the living room with the TV and I've had no problem in any room of the house or in the basement. I still have wifi in the backyard, probably 40-50ish feet from the router and through multiple walls. Better signal on my iPad than my iPhone.

Vyer

this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB9nI-Fv2o0&feature=youtu.be

no, mine doesn't do it.

edit: yes it does. if I hold it really tightly with my palm covering the data port, I can roughly half the wifi speed. But I don't hold mine like that. and I mean you have to REALLY grip it hard.

and in general, I haven't noticed any problems with wifi. I get all the bars I expect, and performance has been excellent on my dual-band routers.

This video is amusing.

Any of you with the speed test app and an iPad, start a test then immediately hold down the home button for a while.

Watch what happens.

Phreaker

Has this been discussed?

Not an issue for me. It works just as well as my OG iPad's WiFi. I have streamed a bunch of stuff from my bedroom over WiFi (GiantBomb premium HD content, Netflix, Twit.tv all with no issues). I have a WiFi only unit. My bedroom is on the second floor and the opposite side of the house from my router which is in my living room on the 1st floor.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
lol I'm already mad at it. It's stupid that it won't zoom all the way out on neogaf.com. Everytime I reload a page it zooms like half way in. Any way to change this in settings?

LCfiner

Has this been discussed?

Has not happened to me but I would not be surprised if it was a router problem for some cases. (or a rare case of a faulty ipad)

I switched internet providers a few months ago to Bell and they provide a modem with built in wifi router. the quality of the wireless signal was so crappy (and it's an N signa) that I could not stream SD video to the ipad and web browsing was noticeably slow. I also saw problems with the wifi speed on computers and the xbox

I figured out how to disable it and configure my Apple airport extreme and everything went back to normal. So, lesson learned for me, not all wifi routers are in the same ballpark.

.hacked

I can recreate the speedtest app error but only when I take the iPad out of it's case. In the case no mater where I put my hand it is fine.

I have to cover the whole speaker with my bare hand then it only slows down, never drops the wifi signal.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
lol I'm already mad at it. It's stupid that it won't zoom all the way out on neogaf.com. Everytime I reload a page it zooms like half way in. Any way to change this in settings?
Stop using neogaf.com and use secondapps.com/neogaf

Are there any good methods to stream the video playback to a TV? I'm using the VLC app on the iPad 3.

Currently I've got a PC, 360 & PS3 hooked up and I'm hoping one of them can play "host" to some method of doing it.

railGUN

Banned
Has this been discussed?

I just tested mine, took it outside and into my garage. At least 30 feet to my router and 3 walls + lots of stuff against the garage wall - got 2-3 bars and surfing was fine. For comparison, my OG iPhone doesn't even get reception out there.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Stop using neogaf.com and use secondapps.com/neogaf

Get outta here with that crap. I use the mobile app on my phone which is a 3inch screen. I MUCH prefer the REAL site on this thing. Its the best. Except that its a piece of shit and auto zooms like halfway into the page everytime I reload it. :| Is there seriously no way to change this? Thats like the worst thing ever!

It works fine in landscape mode, but I don't want to browse in landscape mode. This is infuriating. Someone come tell me I'm a dumbass and point me to the right settings menu to fix this problem.

Reclaimer

Wifi on my new iPad seems to operate the same as my ipad2, my ipad1, and my iphone4.

Internet hyperbole running rampant.

With over 3 million sold in the first few days, some of them probably have some issues, but nothing hugely widespread.

Wifi on my new iPad seems to operate the same as my ipad2, my ipad1, and my iphone4.

With over 3 million sold in the first few days, some of them probably have some issues, but nothing hugely widespread.

thats not the worst thing. its when people say OMG really its an issue? i might hold off on an iPad then without any research.

Speaking of Internet Hyperbole, coworkers were asking me about the 'heating' issue yesterday. lol

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Get outta here with that crap. I use the mobile app on my phone which is a 3inch screen. I MUCH prefer the REAL site on this thing. Its the best. Except that its a piece of shit and auto zooms like halfway into the page everytime I reload it. :| Is there seriously no way to change this? Thats like the worst thing ever!

What is wrong with secondapps on iPad? I think it blows away the full site while using the iPad. I think your opinion is wrong, just like when you wanted to get rid of your Eames chair before you knew what it was.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really understand why you're personally attacking me right now, racer. I have no beef with you. And fwiw I knew exactly what the eames chair was, I just thought it was ugly and couldn't get rid of it because it was a gift from a deceased relative. And I still don't like it very much, though it has grown on me.

You seriously don't understand the need to view a website fully zoomed out? For real?
The secondapps site was fine on a 1024x768 iPad. But this thing is like double the resolution of even my laptop's screen. OF COURSE I want to have the full browsing experience. How is that so "wrong" to you?

Top Bottom