• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

My conversation with Nuu continues, look like we've reached a conclusion:

I’ve found out some more information about the BaseCase.

Last year when iPad 2 was released, we initially had a batch produced via an external vendor who used their own mold. We then later produced a newer batch at our own factory, using a different mold that we created with our own tooling. I’ve just found out that the BaseCase from the first batch do not fit on the new iPad, however those that were manufactured from our own mold definitely fit. After comparing the fit of both versions myself, I can attest to this.

The newer BaseCase version is actually thicker and stronger than the original batch, so I assume the plastic will not be as prone to stress and breakage. I think it’s likely that you have a unit from the original batch – if the logo is printed onto the case rather than engraved, then your particular unit is in fact from the original batch.

The item that Amazon UK is receiving by April 10th is the newer version, compatible with both iPad 2 and 3.

I hope this clears up your concerns. Let me know if you have any further queries.

MasLegio

Banned
Why do you hate PayPal?

no 1. All the spam of people trying to make me think there is a problem with my pay pal account that I do not have.

no 2. pay pal does not do enough to stop scams using their name

no 3. they are to nice to politicans and their whims

has anyone international been able to order from maroo?

I cannot order since it demands me to select a US state even though I have selected a country

Mr. Tone

no 1. All the spam of people trying to make me think there is a problem with my pay pal account that I do not have.

I cannot order since it demands me to select a US state even though I have selected a country

Australia here, managed to get an order in when they were having their 50% off sale. Haven't received it yet, expecting it any day now.

japtor

They all look like that. The only ones that don't, have never been set next to an older iPad IMO.

Mine seems to have a very slight gradient from top to bottom in portrait, so I'm stuck just like everyone else. Risk a swap and getting stuck with one that has more problems than this (backlight bleed, dead pixels). I refuse to be the guy who strong arms the management into letting me open 15 iPads because I have OCD and read macrumors forums 24/7.

The new Air Video update is going to add native res desktop mirroring, holy shit that will be awesome.
Well there's this example: http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/03/colors.jpg
The two on the left are new, right is iPad 2...reading around for more reports it seems to be about as random as any other previous device launch. Just wish they'd have color calibration as part of the settings, it'd make it more useful for work where accuracy matters, and save them on support costs for OCD users.
I was just looking for something that was capable of mimicking the experience of a Windows 7 Tablet PC. Palm rejection/guard, good HWR. I've gotten used to resting my hand on the screen and the iPad is just not made to distinguish stylus vs touch, hence the need for a wrist guard.
There's a reason a Wacom digitizer (or some other stylus digitizer) is my most wanted feature, more than the retina display! (yes I know I'm crazy)
No problem let me know if you like anything. I have noticed that the comics in HD look incredible If you're double tapping on each pane and reading them zoomed in. If you're looking at a comic as an entire page or a composition I find that the increase in resolution is much less obvious. I do love the screen but I really hope they don't try and charge extra for HD versions like they have with video.
Heh, in general I think it's more impressive the other way around, just cause some stuff wouldn't be visible at all on the old screen when zoomed out. Like viewing 2-up layouts in landscape, text and other fine details are a mess on the old screen but totally clear on the new one (if quite tiny).
Oh neat. I'll be doing this then. It won't damage the battery, right?
iPhones (...and a lot of stuff in general) will only request what they can take, I forget if the current model takes the full 2A though. Pretty sure older iPhones will be limited to 1A charging so shouldn't be any faster with those.

despire

Just found out that the store I ordered mine won't get the 32Gb wifi model I wanted. Only option seems to be the 16Gb Wifi if I want to get it now.

Is there any consensus on the matter if the 16Gb has enough room now that the apps are getting larger?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

select a state, go to paypal, pay. Return to maroo order page, deselect state. Done.

Or just leave the state in, and maroo will ignore it anyway (confirmed by maroo)

MasLegio

Banned
select a state, go to paypay, pay. Return to maroo order page, deselect state. Done.

Or just leave the state in, and maroo will ignore it anyway (confirmed by maroo)

thanks, just ordered the CA ic1052 for 45 $ incl shipping to Sweden
61-1.jpg

though I feel a bit dirty for now having a PayPal account

rezuth

Just found out that the store I ordered mine won't get the 32Gb wifi model I wanted. Only option seems to be the 16Gb Wifi if I want to get it now.

Is there any consensus on the matter if the 16Gb has enough room now that the apps are getting larger?

I wouldn't get the 16

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I changed my mind at the last moment to go for 32 Wifi instead of 16 4g. Good job too, I'm already 14GB full. Next year I'm going all out!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I changed my mind at the last moment to go for 32 Wifi instead of 16 4g. Good job too, I'm already 14GB full. Next year I'm going all out!

I'm going 4G 64GB next year if they have 4G ready in the UK by then. i'll hand this 32GB wifi to my kids so they can keep the fuck off my ipad :p

Yaska

So is the general consensus that Maroo cases are good? Because I might just order that Moko black one if it's good :O

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual

This really depends on how you will use it and how much media you put on it. My 16 gb still has over 10 gb of space free, but I've only installed a few apps. This is my first iPad and I've been using it mostly for surfing and reading news. I can see movies and music being nice for traveling, but that stuff doesn't have to be on it all the time.

e_i

Update on the HDMI situation.

Well, it looks like I did buy the wrong dongle. I had the old one (MC953ZM/A) which I got in BB the week before the iPad came out. I looked on Amazon and the new one is (MD098ZM/A). Going to sell my old one.

I agree that Paypal leaves a lot to be desired, no question. This is a ridiculous reason to dislike them though....my company's name was used by scammers a few years back and there is almost nothing that can be done about it.

Ristlager

Still riding my OG IPAD and thinking about upgrading, but from what you have written it seems like there is little difference between IPAD 2 and 3 in speed, I have found the screen on IPAD1 to be more than good enough for my needs (Doesn't really see much difference between Iphone 3GS and 4). All I want is a faster IPAD, a nice camera definitely helps. But does that defend the higher pricepoint? I want you to say YES the IPAD3 is a marvel to behold, and shits on the IPAD2. But as far as I have read that might not be the truth?

And how troublesom is the extra charge time, that is maybe the biggest con against buying it.

Still riding my OG IPAD and thinking about upgrading, but from what you have written it seems like there is little difference between IPAD 2 and 3 in speed, I have found the screen on IPAD1 to be more than good enough for my needs (Doesn't really see much difference between Iphone. All I want is a faster IPAD, a nice camera definitely helps. But does that defend the higher pricepoint? I want you to say YES the IPAD3 is a marvel to behold, and shits on the IPAD2. But as far as I have read that might not be the truth?

And how troublesom is the extra charge time, that is maybe the biggest con against buying it.

If you have good eye sight the screen will blow your mind.
if not, the iPad 2 will be just fine until the 4th gen iPad is out.

Tobor

Still riding my OG IPAD and thinking about upgrading, but from what you have written it seems like there is little difference between IPAD 2 and 3 in speed, I have found the screen on IPAD1 to be more than good enough for my needs (Doesn't really see much difference between Iphone. All I want is a faster IPAD, a nice camera definitely helps. But does that defend the higher pricepoint? I want you to say YES the IPAD3 is a marvel to behold, and shits on the IPAD2. But as far as I have read that might not be the truth?

The only reason to get a 2 at this point is if you literally cannot come up with the extra $100. If you can, get a 3rd gen. The screen is absolutely worth it.

Ristlager

The only reason to get a 2 at this point is if you literally cannot come up with the extra $100. If you can, get a 3rd gen. The screen is absolutely worth it.

And the charging? Have you changed your rutines in that matter? The greatest feature of the IPAD is the fantastic batteri, and knowing that I always have battery on it. But if it takes 6-7 hours (numbers taken out of my ass) to charge, then I have to be more alert to charge it every couple of nights.

Zeth

The value of the screen for me is easily worth $100. YMMV (depending on eyesight and sensitivity to image quality probably).

Only ever charged previous iPads at night, so it hasn't affected me at all.

Phreaker

You also get 1GB or RAM with the new iPad vs 512MB in the iPad2. This may (or may not) speed up web browsing/switching between tabs and apps. I went from OG iPad to the latest. I see a big difference in the screen, but I also saw a big difference going from iPhone 3G to 4. Mainly it's the text clarity that is so striking. Also, being able to see a 2048×1536 image at full resolution on a 9.7 display is really something. As said, if you don't have great eye sight it may not matter to you much. But, for $100 - Retina display and twice the RAM...

I don't know how long it takes to charge. If it's running low on charge I plug it in when I go to bed, just like my phone.

Ristlager

You also get 1GB or RAM with the new iPad vs 512MB in the iPad2. This may (or may not) speed up web browsing/switching between tabs and apps. I went from OG iPad to the latest. I see a big difference in the screen, but I also saw a big difference going from iPhone 3G to 4. Mainly it's the text clarity that is so striking. Also, being able to see a 2048×1536 image at full resolution on a 9.7 display is really something. As said, if you don't have great eye sight it may not matter to you much. But, for $100 - Retina display and twice the RAM...

Doesn't the extra ram just go towards rendering the extra pixels? As nobody has found any speed differences between 2 and 3.

All things points towards me buying the new one, as you guys says its worth the upgrade. And me allways wanting new gadgets..

Vyer

And the charging? Have you changed your rutines in that matter? The greatest feature of the IPAD is the fantastic batteri, and knowing that I always have battery on it. But if it takes 6-7 hours (numbers taken out of my ass) to charge, then I have to be more alert to charge it every couple of nights.

I think they have about the same charge time. So I guess 'when' you run out sort of doesn't matter. But yeah it would take longer to charge it seems. Though if you usually do it overnight it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Doesn't the extra ram just go towards rendering the extra pixels? As nobody has found any speed differences between 2 and 3.
Probably a bit, but the extra RAM is most obvious when opening multiple tabs in Safari. I can have 9 open without any of them having to reload, whereas on the iPad 2 tabs would be reloading after 3 or 4.

Tobor

I use my iPad every day and plug it in to charge every night. That's been my routine for 2 years, so nothing's changed.

The more I use the 3rd gen iPad, the more and more I'm impressed with the screen. Such clarity. I'm glad Apple took risks to make the retina display happen and keep the battery life intact.

Now that the resolution is set, I honestly can't wait to see how they work their engineering magic on the 4th gen to further improve the internal components.

As for charging, yeah I just do that overnight. No problems.

cackhyena

Does anyone use the Blurex leather case for iPad 2 for this thing? I've been looking at it and like what I'm seeing for the price. Just wondering if it'll work with the New iPad..

It all depends. To me the "performance" improvements were all made to drive the new screen.

I'd advise you go to the Apple Store and take a look at both.

The only big changes are the screen, LTE and maybe Bluetooth 4.0. The RAM and quad-core seem a lateral movement because of the resolution.

And of course there are the negatives, it's warmer, heavier, thicker, $100 more expensive, less battery life, longer charge, etc.

I won't lie the screen is nice, but I'm already looking forward to the 4th Gen for hopefully performance improvements (=zippy like the move from 1 to 2), lighter, better battery (these are just things to make it comparable to the 2nd Gen, hopefully they include new stuff).

The more I use the 3rd gen iPad, the more and more I'm impressed with the screen. Such clarity. I'm glad Apple took risks to make the retina display happen and keep the battery life intact.

Now that the resolution is set, I honestly can't wait to see how they work their engineering magic on the 4th gen to further improve the internal components.

As for charging, yeah I just do that overnight. No problems.

Same here. While I haven't had the chance to use it as much as I'd like (been a busy week!) the new iPad continues to impress on a number of levels. The screen is amazing but I'm also impressed with how smooth and fast it is at doing pretty much everything. I'm also so glad I exchanged my WiFi model for one with LTE. The combination of all those things makes this a huge upgrade from the first gen model for me.

jts

...hate me...
It all depends. To me the "performance" improvements were all made to drive the new screen.

I'd advise you go to the Apple Store and take a look at both.

The only big changes are the screen, LTE and maybe Bluetooth 4.0. The RAM and quad-core seem a lateral movement because of the resolution.

And of course there are the negatives, it's warmer, heavier, thicker, $100 more expensive, less battery life, longer charge, etc.

I won't lie the screen is nice, but I'm already looking forward to the 4th Gen for hopefully performance improvements (=zippy like the move from 1 to 2), lighter, better battery (these are just things to make it comparable to the 2nd Gen, hopefully they include new stuff).
Regardless of what has driven the RAM increase, it exceeds the extra needs for the new screen and makes for a much better and smoother browsing and overall multitasking experience. We'll see less crashes on memory-heavy apps, it'll allow for more complex apps, etc.

That's my second biggest reason to get the new iPad, right next to the new screen.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
*sigh* so I checked availability at my apple store on the mobile app before I went to sleep and it said it "this is item is available for pickup." I didn't actually purchase it, just checked the status.

But now this morning it's listed as unavailable. Any chance they'll still have some left just for walk ins?

I'm gonna go check as soon as they open but that's super frustrating.

Tobor

*sigh* so I checked availability at my apple store on the mobile app before I went to sleep and it said it "this is item is available for pickup." I didn't actually purchase it, just checked the status.

But now this morning it's listed as unavailable. Any chance they'll still have some left just for walk ins?

I'm gonna go check as soon as they open but that's super frustrating.

If it was available for pickup last night you should have purchased it and chosen "in store pickup". That way it's locked in.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah well that's no help because I didn't do that. I have to go to the bank first anyways.

Tempted by a maroo case but missing put on the half price sale puts me off

Anyway what is best for clearing finger smudges off a screen just a micro fibre cloth?

tranciful

It looks like Safari Scales images

comparison.png

source: macrumors

the only way to see the real resolution is to save the image

Pretty sure even if you save the image, it 'optimizes' it for the screen. You have to have a third party application to zoom in and really see images at full res.

Top Bottom