• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

I have yet to experience any heating,maybe because I didn't have a long gaming session. Also thankfully no screen issues at all

I've had zero problems, and that isn't to say the problems don't exist, just not as commonly as the internet would have you believe.

I have had some gaming sessions, and done some netflixing (word?) on it, with nothing to note with regards to high heat.

Has this been discussed?

If true it's a deal breaker for me. I'd want a Wifi only device and if I can't move around the house with it, or get a signal in my bed, which is not that close to my router, then this thing is useless.

What is your experience for those that have it?

My iPad has better wifi reception than any other device in my house. With 3+ million sold in one weekend, you're obviously going to get a percentage with issues, and even if that percentage is extremely small, it will be a relatively large number and they'll make noise about it. Everything should work as expected for the vast majority of people, there are no fundamental, inherent flaws in the device. Also, it's apple so something that wouldn't have warranted the attention of a single post for any other device will be milked and make the rounds of all tech blogs, etc until heave gotten all the potential click revenues.

Edit: I now prefer the iPad keyboard to my physical keyboard. Is something wrong with me? My apple keyboard now seems to require so much more effort in comparison, and autocorrect really does help typing speed.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I don't really understand why you're personally attacking me right now, racer. I have no beef with you. And fwiw I knew exactly what the eames chair was, I just thought it was ugly and couldn't get rid of it because it was a gift from a deceased relative. And I still don't like it very much, though it has grown on me.

You seriously don't understand the need to view a website fully zoomed out? For real?
The secondapps site was fine on a 1024x768 iPad. But this thing is like double the resolution of even my laptop's screen. OF COURSE I want to have the full browsing experience. How is that so "wrong" to you?

I am not personally attacking you, I just feel like your opinion on secondapps is wrong, and I swear I remember you not knowing what the Eames chair was until the Pick-up thread told you (I could be wrong). And I understand wanting to see the site fully zoomed out, but I am not sure what you find on the "full website" that secondapps doesn't take care of.

Noticed something with the Kindle app. I intended to buy book 2 of A Song of Ice and Fire but clicked buy on the 4 book Kindle set instead. It got sent to the iPad, but then I went to amazon.com and immediately returned it since it wasn't what I wanted. Got an immediate refund from Amazon, but the 4 book set still resides on the iPad. Even after downloading the correct book to the iPad and updating the app itself last night, the set is still there.

I am not personally attacking you, I just feel like your opinion on secondapps is wrong, and I swear I remember you not knowing what the Eames chair was until the Pick-up thread told you (I could be wrong). And I understand wanting to see the site fully zoomed out, but I am not sure what you find on the "full website" that secondapps doesn't take care of.

Quite a lot, actually. The biggest difference in secondapps favor though is the ability to tap spoilers to view them. Otherwise the full site is very fast and very accessible. Just as it is on my laptop. Secondapps feels like a step down on the new iPad, but was a huge step up over my iPhone/iPad1.

xxracerxx

Noticed something with the Kindle app. I intended to buy book 2 of A Song of Ice and Fire but clicked buy on the 4 book Kindle set instead. It got sent to the iPad, but then I went to amazon.com and immediately returned it since it wasn't what I wanted. Got an immediate refund from Amazon, but the 4 book set still resides on the iPad. Even after downloading the correct book to the iPad and updating the app itself last night, the set is still there.

I thought you took the iPad back?

99.99% of people have good wifi experience. only people who want to complain complain about it. Ive never an issue. If you want . go to an apple store and test the new one right there or just buy it and then return it. easy.

None of those are an option in my country, which is why I'm asking. If I buy an open it, I have to keep it.

My iPad has better wifi reception than any other device in my house. With 3+ million sold in one weekend, you're obviously going to get a percentage with issues, and even if that percentage is extremely small, it will be a relatively large number and they'll make noise about it. Everything should work as expected for the vast majority of people, there are no fundamental, inherent flaws in the device. Also, it's apple so something that wouldn't have warranted the attention of a single post for any other device will be milked and make the rounds of all tech blogs, etc until heave gotten all the potential click revenues.

Edit: I now prefer the iPad keyboard to my physical keyboard. Is something wrong with me? My apple keyboard now seems to require so much more effort in comparison, and autocorrect really does help typing speed.

I understand this. What caught my attention about the complaints was the side by side comparison with an iPad 1 and this one performing worse.

My iPad 1 is great at getting a signal though, so even if the new one is a little worse it could still be good enough.

You seriously don't understand the need to view a website fully zoomed out? For real?
The secondapps site was fine on a 1024x768 iPad. But this thing is like double the resolution of even my laptop's screen. OF COURSE I want to have the full browsing experience. How is that so "wrong" to you?
I have to agree with Jtwo here... these tablet-optimsed versions of full sites are just weird. I'll take the full site every time.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member

secondapps is great, I've been using it daily since 2008. Its just not what I want from a fullsized browser. I wouldn't use the secondapps site on my laptop so why would I use it on a screen that displays even more information than that one does? Its a ridiculous notion.

And lets not act like secondapps is 100% equal to the desktop site either. Its a fabulous creation and ckohler is a genius. But quoting and editing and all that stuff is cumbersome in comparison to the full site. The full site is just that, THE FULL SITE. The mobile site is tailored for smaller screens. Which this one is not.

Think my opinion is wrong and bring up misremembered events from the past all you want, but all it does is make you look like a tremendous asshole when I have a perfectly valid complaint.

I just bought a new product to browse the web on and it does something I consider to be very annoying on what is by far my most visited website. How could I be anything other than frustrated?

xxracerxx

I have to agree with Jtwo here... these tablet-optimsed versions of full sites are just weird. I'll take the full site every time.

Huh, guess I just like secondapps better because I feel like it just handles this site better than the real thing on the iPad (Jtwo's complaint of zoomed in makes sense).

Think my opinion is wrong and bring up misremembered events from the past all you want, but all it does is make you look like a tremendous asshole when I have a perfectly valid complaint.
Oh I think you have a valid complaint, I just offered a valid solution as well. And I just brought up the Eames chair because that is how I remember your username and it was just funny, not trying to be a huge asshole or anything. Take it as an insult if you will, but I really don't mean anything harmful when bringing it up.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
A week later and I'm still stunned by how good text looks on this thing. It's just ridiculous.

Yeah, GAF zoomed out in portrait mode is something to behold. Theres like 45 threads on screen right now. All perfectly legible.

How do you multiquote in secondapps? I haven't figured it out yet.

Quite a lot, actually. The biggest difference in secondapps favor though is the ability to tap spoilers to view them. Otherwise the full site is very fast and very accessible. Just as it is on my laptop. Secondapps feels like a step down on the new iPad, but was a huge step up over my iPhone/iPad1.

Do you have the most recent update for the Kindle App? It is more recent than the Retina update and it fixed an issue with books not appearing on the app. It could be the opposite of that issue for you and not reported because it wasn't noticed by the bug fixers. I hope that makes sense.

renitou

But this thing is like double the resolution of even my laptop's screen.
But not in a way that's going to allow you to see more of the page at once on that 9.7 inch touchscreen. A touch-optimized, compact UI remains the better route, really.

Ok can someone replicate this 'bug/feature'

1. Make sure the mute button is off
2. turn volume down to 0
3. touch the power button to lock the iPad

You should hear the locking click, when you slide to unlock you should hear the unlock click as well as any keyboard clicks.

Shouldnt 0 volume mean 0 volume?

Reclaimer

Speaking of Internet Hyperbole, coworkers were asking me about the 'heating' issue yesterday. lol

Ha! Same thing.

This iPad can get hotter than the last one, it's one of the costs of the giant battery and new processor. But it's nowhere near a laptop.

Fuck, it's nowhere near an iPhone 4/s under heavy use!

Who knows? Perhaps apples carefully curated image of perfection will come back and bite them in the ass, after all everyone's expectation of perfection is subjective.

(by the way, I just dictated this whole post on the iPad feel like such a prick but sort of cool.)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
But not in a way that's going to allow you to see more of the page at once on that 9.7 inch touchscreen. A touch-optimized, compact UI remains the better route, really.

Its clear that there are just two camps on this issue. But the real gaf site is ridiculously better than the mobile site. Not to mention the more robust posting/editing. But just look at this. Its amazing. I don't know how you could prefer the mobile site.
Wd2TW.jpg
(retina sized image :eek:)

My friend has an iPad one and I browse secondapps on it all the time and its great. Mostly because it has a lower res screen and less ram so the secondapps site is just much snappier and leaner. But this new iPad is a beast. It can handle it and it looks INCREDIBLE. Why deny yourself that.

Its just a shame it autozooms.

Ok can someone replicate this 'bug/feature'

1. Make sure the mute button is off
2. turn volume down to 0
3. touch the power button to lock the iPad

You should hear the locking click, when you slide to unlock you should hear the unlock click as well as any keyboard clicks.

Shouldnt 0 volume mean 0 volume?

nevermind I hate to turn on the 'Change with Buttons' ON

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member

Its clear that there are just two camps on this issue. But the real gaf site is ridiculously better than the mobile site. Not to mention the more robust posting/editing features I mentioned. But just look at this. Its amazing. I don't know how you could prefer the mobile site.
(retina sized image :eek:)

My friend has an iPad one and I browse secondapps on it all the time and its great. Mostly because it has a lower res screen and less ram so the secondapps site is just much snappier and leaner. But this new iPad is a beast. It can handle it and it looks INCREDIBLE. Why deny yourself that.

Its just a shame it autozooms.

I also just want to point out that even if I preferred the mobile site the zoom thing is still an issue... Using a different website doesn't "fix" anything. Its just using a different website...

Phreaker

J[B said:
I also just want to point out that even if I preferred the mobile site the zoom thing is still an issue... Using a different website doesn't "fix" anything. Its just using a different website...[/B]

Maybe there is some code on the site doing it? Same thing happens when using the Atomic browser. Go to Giantbomb or something in Safari and it's fine.

noah111

Still Alive
OK, great, thank you. I had been using the other one. Is mockup being slated for a real neogaf.com/mobile type release?
Yup. Though keep in mind it was designed for mobile devices such as iPhones, rather than tablets. Though perhaps after it's launched, it can be further developed with tablet-specific optimizations (such as ad size, etc).

madmook

I agree the auto-zooming portrait mode should be looked into. Other websites seem to scale/zoom fine.

I also prefer regular website gaf on my ipad, though since I browse pretty much exclusively in landscape mode, I am already happy as a clam.

Toki767

Do you guys actually recommend the smart cover? Seems like it'd be pretty expensive to get that and then a back cover as well compared to just getting a nice case.

Tobor

Secondapps has inline YouTube videos and working spoilers. That's enough right there to prefer it over the regular site.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe there is some code on the site doing it? Same thing happens when using the Atomic browser. Go to Giantbomb or something in Safari and it's fine.

Hmm, I don't really know much about how websites work but I suppose it is possible. Every other site I read looks perfect. Its only gaf that gets the weird halfzoom.

LOL, something must have gone weird in my google sync because my outgoing imessage picture is my exgirlfriends contact image. wut.

Do you have the most recent update for the Kindle App? It is more recent than the Retina update and it fixed an issue with books not appearing on the app. It could be the opposite of that issue for you and not reported because it wasn't noticed by the bug fixers. I hope that makes sense.
Yep, and I assumed the new update last night was to fix the problem. Apparently not. I wonder if I can read three 1000 page books before they fix it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Finally past the first setup phase. Ugh. I hate setting up new devices. I always end up wanting to throw them out the window by the second google two step sign in. Finally got it semi up and running. Time to kick back and play with it. It sorta only just dawned on me that I just bought an iPad. :eek:

First tablet of any kind too.

Yup. Though keep in mind it was designed for mobile devices such as iPhones, rather than tablets. Though perhaps after it's launched, it can be further developed with tablet-specific optimizations (such as ad size, etc).

I actually like the secondapps site for my iPad as well.

Yep, and I assumed the new update last night was to fix the problem. Apparently not. I wonder if I can read three 1000 page books before they fix it.

Just don't update the app! Also, by the time you finish book one, you won't want to stop!

Finally past the first setup phase. Ugh. I hate setting up new devices. I always end up wanting to throw them out the window by the second google two step sign in. Finally got it semi up and running. Time to kick back and play with it. It sorta only just dawned on me that I just bought an iPad. :eek:

Setting up new devices is my favourite thing in the world.

My big two takeaways after almost a week and having migrated from the first iPad:

It feels much, much better in your hand than the iPad 1. I'm sure this isn't news to iPad 2 owners, but it still surprised me how much more I like it than the 1.

Comics look ridiculous on this thing. I was really excited to have digital comics on the iPad, but the old screen made zooming into panels necessary and really felt awkward to me, so I never really got into it. Reading them on the new one is just stupefying.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Setting up new devices is my favourite thing in the world.

To each his own i guess.

Still having some issues.. I have home sharing enabled but when I go to the more tab in the music app I can't see my computer. Same with the video app. Also I can't wifi sync I've plugged it into my computer and all that but when I go to wifi sync it says "will sync when MacBook pro becomes available" anyone know what that's about?

Split keyboard is great so far.

giga

Weenerz

Banned

The 2 step thing is so buried, Google should really make it easier.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Haha this is so great. I love having my whole computer just a swipe away. I think I'm really excited about this thing.
Can't wait until my Vnc app gets updated for the new screen.

Does anyone have any tips on home sharing? It's up and running fine on my phone Nd I signed in on the iPad but it's not working. Same with wifi sync.

I actually like the secondapps site for my iPad as well.

Just don't update the app! Also, by the time you finish book one, you won't want to stop!

I finished book 1 yesterday. I can't imagine how shitty it must have been for people to wait 3 years for the sequel the way it just suddenly ended. I will start book 2 tonight and borrow the bluray of the HBO series. I heard it was great.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
*cough*

Uhh.. Let me update iTunes and get back to you about my home sharing issues.

Phreaker

Update for GoodReader for iPad (3.14.2) is up on the App Store

What's New in Version 3.14.2
The new iPad (iPad 3) compatibility fix - Retina display optimization.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Kind of starting to freak out about how awesome this is. It's so fast. Soooo fast. And the multitasking gestures are great. I'm flying around this thing.

icespide

Banned
decided to try my luck again today and bought one. it's fucking perfect! no half yellow screen. not dented corner. no dust. finally. shit

Rengoku

Update for GoodReader for iPad (3.14.2) is up on the App Store

What's New in Version 3.14.2
The new iPad (iPad 3) compatibility fix - Retina display optimization.

Do we know if the pdf rendering engine is CPU restricted? or if it can be offloaded to the GPU? I wonder if the quad core GPU on the new iPad will offer any performance benefits for PDF readers.

Top Bottom