• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Yes, please do. I've been hoping for MobileGAF to have a more tailored UI for iPad ever since I got the iPad. The current one works OK, but I'm not a fan of tablet apps that are just the same as the phone but stretched to tablet dimensions.
I agree, mobile site is perfect for iPhone but on the iPad there is just too much empty space and it makes me want to use the desktop site

Backers
$320,954
pledged of $90,000 goal
days to go

I don't know how many days its been up but its already 300% funded. Their early adopter units have sold out really quick; and its also easily a $200 spend to get one of the shells. or $245 for it (int shipping).

That much money? I can buy a vita+games. :/

So then is the new ipad jailbroken yet

Some attention whore teased a jailbreak, with video and all, but then cried like a little bitch, because he got too much attention.

Yeah.

Jailbreak-untethered.png

e: Here's the news: http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-ios-5.1-untethered-on-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch-by-i0n1c-video/

In terms of quality of the magazines themselves, probably Retro Gamer and Edge. If you look at the reviews though you'll see that the apps have some problems. Unfortunately afaik very few magazines take advantage of the medium properly or even provide just a jank-free version of the print mag (happy to hear about any standouts though -- New Yorker after the recent update is great, for example).

Also bothers me that I'm a long-time subscriber to both and my sub doesn't carry over to digital like it does for New Yorker and others. At least give me a discount. :/

What other magazines make good use of the iPad?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
The bad thing about Brydge? The ship date is October!

That is way too freaking long from now. By the time this thing becomes a real product, the iPad 3 will be over halfway done with it's lifespan and who knows if the next iPad will even be compatible with it.

If it was a product that was on the shelves right now, it'd be an easy purchase without question...but I'm not waiting for 5 months to get it.

Logitech Ultrathin will eat this things lunch because it costs less, is widely available in retail and way cheaper.

Super awesome idea and execution, no question about it. Just a major downside to going the kickstarter route. Hopefully these guys will get legit from this initial wave of funding to have a Brydge 2 available near or at launch for the iPad 4 and I'll jump in day 1.

Cheebo

Banned
What other magazines make good use of the iPad?

Engadget has a free weekly tech magazine that looks really good on iPad.

That is way too freaking long from now. By the time this thing becomes a real product, the iPad 3 will be over halfway done with it's lifespan and who knows if the next iPad will even be compatible with it.

Now that iPad has blossomed into a full on computer replacement for many people with more and more content creation apps and stronger specs the desire for attachable keyboards and keyboard cases for it is out of control. I see way more people using these and wanting them then I ever did for iPad 2 or 1.

I think Apple has to obviously see this, and will take advantage of it for the next revision. A Apple branded snap on magnetic keyboard (with possibly added battery life ala what Asus does on their tablet) has to something they are working on.

It is similiar to how the third party case mania with iPad 1 led to them doing the smartcover for iPad. My gut instinct on this is Apple will have this sort of add-on for the 4th gen iPad.

Especially when the 4th gen iPad is likely more of a 4S sort of upgrade (A6 chipset, bump to camera specs, probably back to iPad 2 size/weight, etc)

RubxQub

Now that iPad has blossomed into a full on computer replacement for many people with more and more content creation apps and stronger specs the desire for attachable keyboards and keyboard cases for it is out of control. I see way more people using these and wanting them then I ever did for iPad 2 or 1.

I think Apple has to obviously see this, and will take advantage of it for the next revision. A Apple branded snap on magnetic keyboard (with possibly added battery life ala what Asus does on their tablet) has to something they are working on.

It is similiar to how the third party case mania with iPad 1 led to them doing the smartcover for iPad.

My gut tells me Apple will have this sort of add-on for the 4th gen iPad.

I'm not so sure. I think keyboard cases fall into a category similar to styluses for Apple. They originally offered that keyboard dock, but then stopped making them when they launched the 2. My guess is that by offering a keyboard dock, they are basically implying that the software keyboard isn't acceptable...which is both true and untrue.

I still submit that you can use the software keyboard for some pretty decent typing...it's just that now that this thing is literally the only device I have to compute with, I need to be able to do that longform posting on it SOMEHOW...so a keyboard becomes a necessity.

To me, this is the time in history to change how text input is done all together. Either reinvent the modern keyboard or change up input method all together. There is no way that in 50 years from now we're still going to be using keyboards to input text. No way in hell. I think technology and interfaces have advanced enough that there is no better time than now to introduce a game changing input method.

No idea what they could do, but dictation isn't the answer...at least not the full answer. Too awkward to dictate non-spoken text like usernames, passwords, special characters, formatted text, etc.)

Hopefully Apple is focusing on a great software solution to this problem instead of falling back on hardware.

numble

The bad thing about Brydge? The ship date is October!

If it was a product that was on the shelves right now, it'd be an easy purchase without question...but I'm not waiting for 5 months to get it.

Logitech Ultrathin will eat this things lunch because it costs less, is widely available in retail and way cheaper.

Super awesome idea and execution, no question about it. Just a major downside to going the kickstarter route. Hopefully these guys will get legit from this initial wave of funding to have a Brydge 2 available near or at launch for the iPad 4 and I'll jump in day 1.

It seems like a good example of how long it actually takes to get something from idea to manufacturing to market. No wonder why all those case manufacturers spend so much time chasing leaks and bribing Foxconn workers to get a couple months head start in making their cases.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
First day I'm trying to use my iPad exclusively for my morning routine. Going well so far, although some gifs didn't load on here and some videos haven't loaded on tumblr. No big deal yet, but we'll see how long I last until I have the urge to Chrome to Phone a link to a friend or message somebody (haven't bought colloquy yet or set up IMO).

RubxQub

I don't understand stuff like this at all. Why did you buy a tablet if you wanted a laptop?

Bitches like me who use this as their only computing device! The physical keyboard becomes a necessary fallback when you're doing longform writing.

Not at all a requirement for daily usage for 99% of consumers, I'd argue...but I bet a lot of consumers love physical keyboards over software ones the same way they prefer hardware keyboards on phones over software ones. Some people don't want to get used to software keyboards or want the tactile feedback. In this case, the physical keyboard gives you a more traditional typing experience as well which would increase productivity.

I get it...but outright think that a lot of people that will end up buying this thing wouldn't really need it...but that's me putting my beliefs on someone else. Obviously if they think they need it, they should get it. I'd argue they should take a bit of time getting used to typing on the software keyboard...but even saying that is an admission of failure on the software keyboards part.

Tablets obviously are more than just "laptops without keyboards", aside from all of that...given the different operating systems and applications. :p

yogloo

I had the opportunity to test my new iPad while traveling over the past week and a half and thought that it was fantastic. I absolutely loved the 4G connectivity while in airports and it was flawless while I was in the States. When I left the country I simply switched off the data roaming and the iPad served as a great device for all my staying-connected needs while I was on the go.

I had the iPad 1 and used it while traveling many, many times, but the third gen tablet was just a better all around experience. The faster processor and better screen came in handy and I even was able to get some work done on the 12 hour flight back home on Saturday.

This week I'm heading out to DC for a few days and I'm looking forward to having it with me there as well. Having LTE service the entire trip will be a nice bonus.

Tobor

I get buying a keyboard, but it should be detached, and out of the way until you need it. This desire to permanently attach keyboards to the iPad is what I'm talking about. Its just weird.

RubxQub

I get buying a keyboard, but it should be detached, and out of the way until you need it. This desire to permanently attach keyboards to the iPad is what I'm talking about. Its just weird.

Ah, that I get. Yeah, not way in hell should anyone want to perma-attached a keyboard to the iPad.

I had the opportunity to test my new iPad while traveling over the past week and a half and thought that it was fantastic. I absolutely loved the 4G connectivity while in airports and it was flawless while I was in the States. When I left the country I simply switched off the data roaming and the iPad served as a great device for all my staying-connected needs while I was on the go.

I had the iPad 1 and used it while traveling many, many times, but the third gen tablet was just a better all around experience. The faster processor and better screen came in handy and I even was able to get some work done on the 12 hour flight back home on Saturday.

This week I'm heading out to DC for a few days and I'm looking forward to having it with me there as well. Having LTE service the entire trip will be a nice bonus.
Having internet always available on the iPad truly is a killer feature that I was taking for granted...especially with LTE. While I always had tethering enabled on my phone to do this, the tethering always took time to setup and was kind of clunky...not to mention that the speeds weren't exactly blazing. I used my iPad on the train most of the time offline and didn't bother to hook up the tether.

Now my iPad just always has internet. Whenever I want it.

My biggest beef with all the radios this thing has is that it sometimes fights itself trying to find the best signal. If LTE is weak, it'll randomly drop LTE and go back to 3G, then flop back to LTE...somehow dropping down to sub-3G at points, then up to 3G, then up to LTE. It's better in some areas with weak LTE to just turn off LTE all together and just work with the rock-solid 3G to prevent all this.

The problem with all that radio swapping is that the iPad acts like it has no internet while it's transitioning radios, so you'll get a "no internet" pop-up and then dismiss it only to have the page reload itself anyways now that it's got a connection on the other radio.

Needs to be smoothed out a bit, but I'm guessing that that's just the way it is and the only way to make that less painful would be to literally have LTE and 3G bands connected simultaneously so you can hot swap to one connection or the other automatically without dropping connection to transition (but god knows what this would do to battery life). If there was a setting to never jump on LTE unless it was at least 3 bars of strength or something that'd be ideal, given the current implementation.

dream

I dunno, I don't like attached keyboards either, but they're probably better than jamming an iPad into a Dodocase or an Otterbox. At least keyboard cases offer functionality.

Having internet always available on the iPad truly is a killer feature that I was taking for granted...especially with LTE. While I always had tethering enabled on my phone to do this, the tethering always took time to setup and was kind of clunky...not to mention that the speeds weren't exactly blazing. I used my iPad on the train most of the time offline and didn't bother to hook up the tether.

Now my iPad just always has internet. Whenever I want it.

My biggest beef with all the radios this thing has is that it sometimes fights itself trying to find the best signal. If LTE is weak, it'll randomly drop LTE and go back to 3G, then flop back to LTE...somehow dropping down to sub-3G at points, then up to 3G, then up to LTE. It's better in some areas with weak LTE to just turn off LTE all together and just work with the rock-solid 3G to prevent all this.

The problem with all that radio swapping is that the iPad acts like it has no internet while it's transitioning radios, so you'll get a "no internet" pop-up and then dismiss it only to have the page reload itself anyways now that it's got a connection on the other radio.

Needs to be smoothed out a bit, but I'm guessing that that's just the way it is and the only way to make that less painful would be to literally have LTE and 3G bands connected simultaneously so you can hot swap to one connection or the other automatically without dropping connection to transition (but god knows what this would do to battery life). If there was a setting to never jump on LTE unless it was at least 3 bars of strength or something that'd be ideal, given the current implementation.

I didn't have 3G on my original iPad, but I am so glad I elected to go with the LTE model this time out. The fact that it can be used as a hotspot is just icing on the cake.

I haven't had the same issues you're reporting with the switch from 3G and LTE, but for the most part I've been in a constant LTE zone since getting my iPad. Austin, Texas, where I live, has a pretty solid LTE infrastructure in place and I was impressed with it in NYC last week as well. I'll get the chance to test it in Washington, DC this weekend and in a few weeks I'll be in Chicago and rural-Iowa/Wisconsin, which will surely drop me down to 3G only. That will give me a more well-rounded impression of how this all works while on the road for sure.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
The SmartCover seems pretty functional and well featured. I'm thinking of picking it up, is it ever discounted anywhere? Or is it always sold full price?

Also, best place to pick up cheaper iTunes store cards? I'm told Best Buy sells them like $40 for $50 or something.

giga

I dunno, I don't like attached keyboards either, but they're probably better than jamming an iPad into a Dodocase or an Otterbox. At least keyboard cases offer functionality.
I'll never get an attached keyboard because it's just added heft that you can't remove. The Incase Origami looks neat. Basically a case for the apple keyboard that doubles as a stand.

6966958999_f1455ccc8b_c.jpg

6966959079_c39d1fd767_c.jpg

Blackhead

Redarse
Hear hear. I get buying a stand and sleeve but it should be detached and out of the way until you need it. This desire to permanently attach smartcovers to the iPad is what I'm talking about. It's just weird.

RubxQub

Hear hear. I get buying a stand and sleeve but it should be detached and out of the way until you need it. This desire to permanently attach smartcovers to the iPad is what I'm talking about. It's just weird.
Boo this man!

...and to think I thought you were actually being agreeable in here for a change, Grey :p

Tobor

Lol. The smart cover doesn't alter the form factor, or reduce portability. Bad comparison.

sfedai0

Banned
Do any of you have a good chunk of space taken up by this ambiguous section called "other"? When Im hooked up to iTunes, that shit is eating up over 2gb!! WTF is that?

I'll never get an attached keyboard because it's just added heft that you can't remove. The Incase Origami looks neat. Basically a case for the apple keyboard that doubles as a stand.

6966958999_f1455ccc8b_c.jpg

6966959079_c39d1fd767_c.jpg

I think that's stupid. if you look at the brydge case, you can always detach the ipad; and there the form factor means you can tilt it to any degree which is nice. I think the speaker more so than the keyboard... I mean stereo games?! + keyboard combo is a real winner.

Red

Is there any way to adjust for overscan for general use mirroring when using AirPlay on an Apple TV? Videos work perfectly, but I can't find a manual overscan option anywhere.

Rocket786

When does the Logitech ultra thin keyboard release? I thought it was supposed to be last week. I have it pre-ordered and currently have no case for my iPad. Logitech doesn't list the release date anywhere.

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but here goes...

I'm looking for a new case for my 1st gen iPad (currently using the official Apple case) and was hoping someone might have a suggestion. They're pretty much impossible to find these days in-store, so I was hoping for one I might be able to find on Amazon.

Red

Anyone know of a list of magazines which provide free digital subscriptions along with a physical one? I have The New Yorker downloaded, and was hoping to get Popular Science and Popular Mechanics as well. Can't find an option to provide my current info though.

I'm probably being annoying with all these questions.

kr2t0s

Anyone know of a list of magazines which provide free digital subscriptions along with a physical one? I have The New Yorker downloaded, and was hoping to get Popular Science and Popular Mechanics as well. Can't find an option to provide my current info though.

Entertainment weekly

sangreal

GQ, which everyone should read.

mojiimbo

Wired, Newsweek and The Economist are free with a print subscription. Popular Science is like $5 or $6 extra/year.

chixdiggit

What is my best option to transfer pictures and Iworks files between Ipad and PC without directly connecting the I-pad to the PC and not using WI-FI? It's the Ipad 3 if that matters.

What stylus do you guys recommend? I've seen the Blue Tiger and it looks great, but the fact that most of these pens have a blunt tip concerns me; how would you align two separate lines in a drawing? Know what I mean?

Top Bottom