• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Buying it to use as a notepad won't be a good idea. It's largely a consumption device still in this context. There is nothing you can do it for schoolwork that you can't do faster, more effectively and cheaper on a notebook; including annotations and note taking.

If you want to read magazines and surf the web quickly and easily, then get an iPad. It's also something you can take to class with you as a secondary tool, not a primary one.

Oh, my bad. I meant as a means to read notes after they're made available as PDFs. It would be an equal pain in the ass writing out my notes on a notebook since it's all math syntax.

I had my mind on a tablet notebook, but you don't see many of those around anymore. I was wondering if there were other productivity applications that I didn't know about to make my buying decision a bit easier. I'm perfectly happy to buy it to dick around, but it'd be nice to know I could use it for work.

I own an iPad 2 and I went to the Apple Store today to check out the (new) iPad. I'll be honest- couldn't notice much of a difference at all when it came to the resolution. I was expecting to be shocked, but I had to line the iPad 2 and 3 next to each other side by side and pull up the same website in order to tell the difference, and I could only notice a difference when it came to the really small text.

I was going to sell my my iPad 2 and upgrade, but not I'm questioning whether it's worth it. Does the processor make much of a difference? I don't use the camera much, aside from Skype.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the difference in processing speed is negligible, most of it is spent pushing the higher resolution

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I own an iPad 2 and I went to the Apple Store today to check out the (new) iPad. I'll be honest- couldn't notice much of a difference at all when it came to the resolution. I was expecting to be shocked, but I had to line the iPad 2 and 3 next to each other side by side and pull up the same website in order to tell the difference, and I could only notice a difference when it came to the really small text.

I was going to sell my my iPad 2 and upgrade, but not I'm questioning whether it's worth it. Does the processor make much of a difference? I don't use the camera much, aside from Skype.

No, absolutely not. The resolution is the one and only reason to upgrade from an Ipad 2. If you cant see it, save your money. Performance is not better, it is the same at best (albeit at a higher resolution).

Oh, my bad. I meant as a means to read notes after they're made available as PDFs. It would be an equal pain in the ass writing out my notes on a notebook since it's all math syntax.

I had my mind on a tablet notebook, but you don't see many of those around anymore. I was wondering if there were other productivity applications that I didn't know about to make my buying decision a bit easier. I'm perfectly happy to buy it to dick around, but it'd be nice to know I could use it for work.
If you want a tablet notebook the Lenovo X220T (and upcoming X230T refresh) is a great option, plus with Windows 8 release there will be plenty more options.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

you should have loaded up carc :D

GAF, pls help me with iTunes Sync.

Yesterday, I thought it would be a good Idea to sync my new iPad with iTunes on my PC for the first time, because I wanted to push some mp3s to my iPad (per WLAN later on). I connected them and it synced. It downloaded all the Apps on my PC an filled up my C-Drive, which is SSD and quite small. I then located the App files and deleted them. It synced again and removed apps from my iPad :[ I had to redownload them and the save files were gone. Thankfully only for some minor Apps. I deactivated sync for Apps in iTunes but still today it wanted to sync. I am worried that it will remove my Apps again...

It would help if I could change the Sync-Folder to the D-Drive. I just want to keep my few songs updated but not the apps. What should I do?

CrankyJay

Banned

I had the reverse reaction. I bought a new iPad and used it for a week before trying out my mom's iPad 2 and the difference was glaringly obvious.

Cheebo

Banned

If the retina display doesn't matter to you it is best at this point to wait till iPad 4. iPad 3 uses basically the same processor as the iPad 2 so there is no real increase in speed or processing power. It uses a A5X chip which is basically the same as the A5 in the iPad 2 in terms of CPU/processing power. If you want a increase in processing power wait for iPad 4. It'll most likely jump to the A6 chip and be a quad-core processor.

This gen was all about improving the screen and graphics chip. Next gen will be more about the processor.

Although if you play a lot of games the iPad 3 might be worth it, while the processor is basically the same the graphics chip got a major upgrade.

In terms of size, I got the 64gb size

I thought it would be too big but I have a lot of holidays due in the next year so I will need to load up on films and music

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
unless the resolution offers an obvious improvement, or if you're looking for more storage or the LTE connection, there's no reason to upgrade. in some instances there is a performance hit due to the resolution increase.

downloaded that Track 8 player and, while the UI is nice, it's still using the Music.app as the backend to play tracks. Also, if you have a large (say 25,000 track) iTunes Match collection that is mostly in the cloud, the app will take forever to cache album art, even if it is already in Music.app.

Cheebo

Banned
Urm9Q.jpg

Red

Today was the first time I looked at a 2 and 3 side by side, and I thought the difference was huge. I am surprised to hear you can't notice it. I can count the pixels on an iPad 2. The entire screen is blocky.

unless the resolution offers an obvious improvement, or if you're looking for more storage or the LTE connection, there's no reason to upgrade. in some instances there is a performance hit due to the resolution increase.

downloaded that Track 8 player and, while the UI is nice, it's still using the Music.app as the backend to play tracks. Also, if you have a large (say 25,000 track) iTunes Match collection that is mostly in the cloud, the app will take forever to cache album art, even if it is already in Music.app.

This is what has made me apprehensive about getting it. Does anyone know of a list of games that are affected by this?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Going to ask here since that Best of iOS thread is pretty dead (can't find an active Apple TV thread, maybe I missed it):

Just got Apple TV and working out the kinks. What are good apps? Here's what I gathered, please feel free to add. Pay or free doesn't matter:

-Remote
-Netflix (don't know how ATV works though am I supposed to use the app or the app from Apple TV?)
-PBS
-TED
-Showyou
-Qello

JaseMath

First post from my iPad! :D Went with the 16GB since this is mainly just an Internet and comic reading device. Pretty cool so far. For protection I am comboing an Apple smart cover with a clear Speck Smartshell (w/custom decals).

Also, what's the best weather app for the iPad? I was going to go with the always reliable Weather Channel, but the iPad app is like 100MB... That seems bloated as shit to me considering the competition's are like 15-25MB.

kinggroin

Banned

Outside of resolution (which really has its biggest effect on fine text, gaming, and very high resolution images), it's not worth it at all. The iPad 3 is slower in day to day operations (though it can hold more open apps in memory), app performance suffers compared to the 2 in quite a few situations, the battery dies quicker at the same brightness, takes ages to recharge, can get pretty toasty at times if you really push it, and is a tad bit heavier (though I actually prefer the extra thickness).

We are running into a wall technologically thanks to the battery bottleneck. Unless major inroads are made in that field, i have no idea what the next iPad is going to give us that would offer any discernible performance difference compared to its predecessors. Personally, die shrinks and keeping the same hardware would be the way I'd go. The big improvements will be made on the software side I think; and those improvements will be marketed as the exclusive selling point for the next iteration (which will likely just be a thinner, lighter, die shrunked 3).

Vyer

First post from my iPad! :D Went with the 16GB since this is mainly just an Internet and comic reading device. Pretty cool so far. For protection I am comboing an Apple smart cover with a clear Speck Smartshell (w/custom decals).

Also, what's the best weather app for the iPad? I was going to go with the always reliable Weather Channel, but the iPad app is like 100MB... That seems bloated as shit to me considering the competition's are like 15-25MB.

I like Intellicast HD. Retina, map/radar, good layout, lots of info.

CrankyJay

Banned
Well the GPU can always be improved for the next iPad...

I'm also wondering if OLED screen is not far off for a possible 20-30% energy savings on screen output. Depends if resolution can be mfg'd for cheap and if Samsung has the production capacity to fulfill Apple's needs.

kinggroin

Banned
I'm also wondering if OLED screen is not far off for a possible 20-30% energy savings on screen output. Depends if resolution can be mfg'd for cheap and if Samsung has the production capacity to fulfill Apple's needs.

OLED? I can't see that happening for a loooong time. Would not work well with Apple's UI design and color choice. Especially considering how important battery life is to them.

Did Apple settle on Plan B for the third-generation iPad?

As great as the third-generation -- aka "new" -- iPad is, I've always wondered whether the design was compromised.

Of course that statement alone is enough to incur the everlasting wrath of the Apple crowd. So let me say that I use the gen 3 iPad pretty much every day and have relegated my older iPad 2 to backup duty. In other words, I like the new iPad and love the 2048x1536-pixel, 264-pixels-per-inch (ppi) Retina display. (Not to mention the 4G LTE.)

Still, the fact that the newer version is thicker and heavier than the older one strikes me as being at odds with Jobsian philosophy, as I've written before. (And it has given me newfound appreciation for my 10-inch Motorola Xyboard tablet, which is easier to hold for long periods of time than the new iPad.)

Some analysts are now saying that the gen 3 iPad design that made it out the door earlier this year was Plan B for Apple. Plan A was an iPad that didn't have the additional heft. While the Apple tablet's height and width remained the same, the thickness of the new iPad swelled slightly to 0.37 inch and the weight edged up to 1.44 pounds.

That's what Raymond Soneira, the founder, president and CEO of DisplayMate Technologies, is saying, and he knows a lot more than me about the ins and outs of the newest iPad.

"The plan was to use this new technology called IGZO from Sharp -- a lot higher electron mobility that allows them to make the transistors a lot smaller and the circuit elements a lot smaller," he said.

In short, smaller transistors and circuit elements allow more light through and reduce the number of backlights needed, resulting in a thinner display assembly.

There was one problem, though. Sharp didn't have its IGZO display tech ready in time. So, Apple had to fall back on more conventional amorphous silicon technology.

"There's no question that the iPad 3 is Plan B. They pushed amorphous silicon to a higher [pixels per inch] than anybody else. But the light throughput is not good. So it has roughly twice as many LEDs, and they had to get a 70 percent larger battery," Soneira said, referring to today's third-generation iPad.

Richard Shim, an analyst at DisplaySearch, agrees with that assessment. "The idea was that IGZO would enable a brighter display and you could use less LEDs and you wouldn't need as big a battery compared to amorphous silicon," Shim said.

My takeaway from listening to both is that Apple, in typical fashion, made (a) impossible and (b) almost-impossible demands on its display partners -- Sharp and Samsung, respectively. It settled for the almost-impossible, amorphous-silicon Retina display that we have today.

And based on my own experience with new iPad, that's not a bad backup plan.

Cheebo

Banned
Try Celsius or Fahrenheit (names of app) depending on which units you prefer. It shows the current temperature on the badge icon so you don't need to open the app.
Every iPad is a Plan B. They likely always have ideas and goals that just aren't technically or financially feasible and have to be held off to the next generation.

Has anyone used the Marvel app on the new iPad? The new Avengers movie made me want to look at some comics so I got some on the Marvel app but it seems like it has a fatal flaw. It has a mode that I prefer where you can swipe to go from panel to panel and it blocks out everything else, the only prob is in this mode its always cropping out part of the panel like so:

Photo%20May%2007%2C%201%2038%2019%20AM.png

it doesn't always crop out words like that but it almost always crops out part of the panel and you don't get to see the full artwork, and as far as i can tell there is no option to make it not do that which makes this entire mode useless and you basically just have to view it in portrait mode a full page at a time.

Unless I am overlooking something I am shocked this app would get released like this from a huge company like Marvel, how hard would it have been to just make the panel zoom to fit the screen without actually cropping anything

Had the opportunity to use my new iPad while traveling again this weekend and it was once again a great addition to have along thanks to the LTE option. I've been using my iPad while traveling almost since Day 1 (bought first gen upon release, traveled to Nepal with it four days later.) and it has always been a great companion for any trip. I'm impressed with the LTE speeds when out and about however, and while using it in Washington DC this weekend the only time I dropped to 3G was while I was on the Metro.

One issue did crop up however. I used my iPad as a WiFi hotspot for the first time and was shocked at how much data I chewed up. In about an hours worth of use I ran through a gigabyte of data when all I was doing was writing a blog post from my laptop. Not sure how I used that much data so quickly unless there was something going on in the background that I was unaware of. I wasn't streaming video at all and only did some very light web surfing/email while writing the blog. The only thing I can think of that may have chewed through that data was a sync with iCloud for my photostream. I added about 700 images to iPhoto before leaving on the trip and I know iPhoto was syncing them to the cloud. I didn't have iPhoto open while using the hotspot however, so not sure if syncing takes place even when the program isn't running. None the less, I have to experiment some to see where all that data usage came from.

Going to ask here since that Best of iOS thread is pretty dead (can't find an active Apple TV thread, maybe I missed it):

Just got Apple TV and working out the kinks. What are good apps? Here's what I gathered, please feel free to add. Pay or free doesn't matter:

-Remote
-Netflix (don't know how ATV works though am I supposed to use the app or the app from Apple TV?)
-PBS
-TED
-Showyou
-Qello
AirVideo. Uses your computer as a media server (with live conversion for formats the iPad is not prepared for) and allows you to AirPlay from the iPad to your Apple TV. Since the conversion work is done by your computer, you can keep playing with your iPad (games, browsing, magazines, whatever you choose). Far and away my favorite way to use my Apple TV.

As for Netflix, I'd just use the Netflix app on your AppleTV. The Netflix iOS app still comes in very handy when you're away from home, however.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
AirVideo. Uses your computer as a media server (with live conversion for formats the iPad is not prepared for) and allows you to AirPlay from the iPad to your Apple TV. Since the conversion work is done by your computer, you can keep playing with your iPad (games, browsing, magazines, whatever you choose). Far and away my favorite way to use my Apple TV.

As for Netflix, I'd just use the Netflix app on your AppleTV. The Netflix iOS app still comes in very handy when you're away from home, however.

cool i will check this out even though it may be a bit powerusery for me (i don't have a large video library, but some f the other functionality sounds interesting)

gotta say apple tv while it has great potential and when it works works great, is waay buggier than i expected when it comes to playing nice with the ipad. half the time i have to restart my ipad (to even get the sync to apple tv icon on the bottom menu) or hit sync like five times to get things to work right (and this is pretty basic stuff like playing an itunes-purchased episode from the videos app). here i thought the hdmi adapter i bought a few weeks ago would be totally redundant now but it saved me at least a couple times this weekend

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Downcast, because they don't nickle and dime you like Instacast (separate iPad/iPhone clients. in-app purchases for features that are free in Downcast).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Man, in terms of working by itself Apple TV is fine, but connecting to my iPad seems increasingly buggy to the point where I'm just relying on my HDMI for now. Is this normal? When I asked before it seemed like people really like the iPad connectivity and no one mentioned bugs so I'm honestly wondering if I have a broken iPad or Apple TV unit or what.

Some examples:
-Connected to Apple TV and in videos, but movie (purchased from iTunes) refuses to play. Hit start about 10 times and it starts and stops. Occasionally on the fourth try it will randomly start working.

-Connected to Apple TV and then lose connection and can't figure out how to reconnect. Bring up the current apps menu and swipe left and the mirroring option isn't even there either. This one has happened at least once a day so far and seems to require a reboot and then going through the bug above to get things working again.

-Have TV ep downloaded on iPad (through iTunes) and just want it to play on TV. Sometimes just refuses to load or will start loading but I actually have to wait as if I'm downloading something even though I already have it downloaded.

-(Might be licensing issue). Have movie rental on iPad (downloaded) and want to just watch it on Apple TV but get error message that seems to say that's not allowed. Plug in to HDMI and it works fine.

For the last two you might say well just run it through ATV entirely, but ideally I don't want to have to go through the whole re-download process.

SonnyBoy

I purchased my GF and iPad2 for Christmas. I was considering getting the iPad3 for myself but there's not THAT much of a difference to warrant the price IMO, especially since there's already one in the house. So I have 2 questions...

1. Any chance that the iPad becomes multi-user capable with iOS6?
2. Should I just get a used iPad2 for myself and get next years model? I'm not sure of what the early rumors are on what to expect.

My gf is great with allowing me to use her iPad2 but it's hers and I want her to enjoy her gift without worry about me hogging it up. Plus, it's impossible to personalize it for 2 people.

ChanHuk

Banned
I bought a iPad 2 16GB for my mother. It was $339 brand spanking new. Am I a bad son for not getting her the "New iPad"? Yes, I compared them side by side and that display is drop dead gorgeous. But the savings, the savings, THE SAVINGS.

Oh well, I'll use the money I saved to buy beer and drink myself to sleep.

Cheebo

Banned
I bought a iPad 2 16GB for my mother. It was $339 brand spanking new. Am I a bad son for not getting her the "New iPad"? Yes, I compared them side by side and that display is drop dead gorgeous. But the savings, the savings, THE SAVINGS.

Oh well, I'll use the money I saved to buy beer and drink myself to sleep.

It's not so bad, the "new" iPad 2's have updates internals which boosted their battery life a couple hours so there is that benefit for her.

Top Bottom