• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What is my best option to transfer pictures and Iworks files between Ipad and PC without directly connecting the I-pad to the PC and not using WI-FI? It's the Ipad 3 if that matters.

iCloud.

chixdiggit

But that means I need an internet connection? I should have clarified, no Wi-Fi no internet connection at all. I will need to hand off picture and I-works info and a internet/wi-fi connection will not always be available. I was hoping to use a USB drive or SD card? But it looks like I can't do it legally?

JaseMath

Dammit...I can't find a 32GB WiFi at any Best Buy. I have $200 in gift cards so it's kind of my only option. In fact, there are none in the state of Colorado. Is it like this everywhere?

kr2t0s

What stylus do you guys recommend? I've seen the Blue Tiger and it looks great, but the fact that most of these pens have a blunt tip concerns me; how would you align two separate lines in a drawing? Know what I mean?

The blue tiger will require whatever app you like to support the SDK. Chances are it will be rather prolific though as it seems to have a lot of hype.

Here is a pretty good comparison of 2 of the most popular styluses right now:

http://derekdaniels.tumblr.com/post/21786892737/wacom-bamboo-adonit-jot-pro

Here is a rather amazing sketch using current tools and the Paper app:

http://madewithpaper.fiftythree.com...ensely-talented-sam-spratt-shares-a-bit-about

Can find more here: http://madewithpaper.fiftythree.com/

dream

So...it seems gigs had time to watch his Atlanta Hawks lose to a 1 man team and post a walkthrough of the latest DP of Mountain Lion.

And, yet, still no Kindle Fire comparison...

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
So...it seems gigs had time to watch his Atlanta Hawks lose to a 1 man team and post a walkthrough of the latest DP of Mountain Lion.

And, yet, still no Kindle Fire comparison...
Whats all the hub-bub about a Kindle Fire comparison? There are thousands of these online and it always boils down to: "at the end of the day, the iPad is better in just about every way...but at more than twice the price should this really shock anyone?"

Spotify for iPad is out.

Wrap-up

While Spotify's iPad app is truly excellent at what it does, I can't give it a pass for exhibiting many of the same faults I have with Spotify's iPhone app, Android app, Mac app, Windows app, etc, etc. The useless What's New section, inability to see your Play Queue, and lack of sorting options make the app harder to use, as competent and complete as it is by Spotify's standards. If you know exactly what you want to listen to, the app will make you happy — but it's quite poor for discovering new music.

Perhaps most importantly, it seems like Spotify has deliberately decided to keep playlists as the sole means of organizing content instead of a unified "Collection" that lets you view songs you've saved by artist, album, and inside playlists you've created. Only being able to save content via creating playlists is a long out-moded method — just ask iTunes, Grooveshark, Rdio, MOG, Amazon, and just about any other company that offers music jukebox software. I hoped that this feature, among other things I've mentioned, would pop up in the company's iPad version — especially since competitors have had some of these features for years. So while Spotify's iPad app and catalog are both exceptionally solid, the company's product-related priorities are confusing. It spent months building a beautiful and speedy iPad app that will elate Spotify users but doesn't actually do anything new for discovering music. In short, it's exactly what we expected and nothing more.

GOOD STUFF
Great design
Lightning fast
Paned interface works well for music browsing
Full-screen mode
Unified instant-search
High-res images and album art

BAD STUFF
Still no Collection view
What's New section is useless
No artist radio or live feed of what friends are listening to
No Spotify apps

VERGE SCORE
7.8/10
http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/2/2992333/spotify-for-ipad-review

dream

I've had a kindle fire for about a week now. Are you guys interested in a comparison between the two? I know they're two very different price points, but I feel some view them as substitutes and/or comparable devices since they're both tablets that let your surf, run apps, view photos, and so on. I won't compare hardware as much as software--think lots of screenshots.

Sure, I'd love to see that, gigs.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The Fire is horrible in pretty much every way except price but I say save your money. Not surprised at all sales have plummeted after the blind-buy launch hype.

And I quite love my Kindle 3.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the Brydge seems too good to be true. Somebody tell me it's too good to be true.

SteveWD40

the Brydge seems too good to be true. Somebody tell me it's too good to be true.

It's too good to be out till October, which means it might be a paperweight after 5 months if the ipad4 has a different case in any way (assuming you upgrade).

I like the idea of it but October?

Here you go brotkasten:

Track 8

screen2.png

screen1.png

screen3.png

screen4.png
App Store

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm almost tempted to get an Apple TV just to not have to use the HDMI when playing videos from the iPad or stuff like Netflix. Anyone comment on the worthed-ness of this?

Tobor

I'm almost tempted to get an Apple TV just to not have to use the HDMI when playing videos from the iPad or stuff like Netflix. Anyone comment on the worthed-ness of this?

Super worthy. It's a $99 wireless adapter that also does its own stuff.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Combined with a third party browser, airplay is amazing. You can stream a video to your tv and browse the web or play Carcassonne at the same time. This doesnt work with all apps though.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Does "Find my iPhone" work if the app is not installed?
If enabled under iCloud on your device it's on all the time and is viewable via said app on other devices or more easily just via the iCloud.com website. Having the actual app on the device you want to find is useless alongside iCloud.

Vyer

STM Skinny feels very cheap. Suppose that's what I expect for the price. Will be returning it tommorow.

How do people feel about the STM Grip?

Like the feel of it, very slim and doesn't add much bulk.

Negatives: hard front flap really uncomfortable when folded back. Cuts right into the hand

Back stand is a plastic strip that's a little tough to unsnap but nothing major. It's kind of skinny though, so there's not much in way of adjustment and it wobbles when pressed

I have a Skinny coming in a few days. I'm not too worried about the feel of the material, I'm just looking for something that adds little bulk and is comfortable to hold.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Super worthy. It's a $99 wireless adapter that also does its own stuff.

Cool, I'll try it out. It's probably worth it for me just for the Netflix and Airplay stuff for videos since right now I'm using a pretty janky BD to get Netflix on my living-room TV.

The thing that kills me, and I'm pretty sure this isn't Apple-specific but still, is the cost of TV shows and the like. How does a season of The Office cost $55 or whatever when you can get it for $20 or less on BD (and that has deleted scenes and stuff which has sadly almost always been missing from digital versions)? I guess people have just moved over to Netflix and Hulu so they don't even bother trying to get mass-market pricing in place for this stuff but it's unfortunate because there are definitely some series I wouldn't mind outright owning (err, having a greater license to) for flights, when I have a bad connection, etc. Thankfully I bought the good seasons of The Office years ago when the iPod video came out when I think things where cheaper. Movie rentals, OK sure those have always been a rip-off pretty much wherever you go -- I can better understand paying a premium for a new release, but just regular series and stuff Boo-urns.

/digression

SuperPac

What's kind of funny is that Apple may already have a patent on this. They bought a company called Fingerworks many years ago (before the iPhone introduction, I believe) that had a number of multitouch patents/products similar to this. They did a touch-type keyboard where the keyboard layout was also a gesture trackpad.

http://www.dustyneuron.com/fingerworks/overview.html#touchstream

Talon

So I love this thing. I can't believe that this has replace my laptop for traveling purposes. Been spending all day bouncing around coffee shops, while the GF is participating in program activities, and I've done a fair amount of work and research easily.

The thing that kills me, and I'm pretty sure this isn't Apple-specific but still, is the cost of TV shows and the like. How does a season of The Office cost $55 or whatever when you can get it for $20 or less on BD (and that has deleted scenes and stuff which has sadly almost always been missing from digital versions)? I guess people have just moved over to Netflix and Hulu so they don't even bother trying to get mass-market pricing in place for this stuff but it's unfortunate because there are definitely some series I wouldn't mind outright owning (err, having a greater license to) for flights, when I have a bad connection, etc. Thankfully I bought the good seasons of The Office years ago when the iPod video came out when I think things where cheaper. Movie rentals, OK sure those have always been a rip-off pretty much wherever you go -- I can better understand paying a premium for a new release, but just regular series and stuff Boo-urns.

/digression

I hear you. The problem is Apple doesn't have the same leverage they have in the music space. Hell, NBC has already walked on them, what, twice now? Initially Apple did what they could to bring down prices, go for cheaper season passes, etc. But now they pretty much have just settled on letting the market crush cable instead. (Plus, it has gotten a lot messier now tha Comcast, Netflix et al are scrambling in the same space.)

Part of the problem has also been regional licensing. A lot of TV and film is only licensed to digital providers as an extension of their hotel deals so once hotel rights are up they "disappear". It's a mess but the production companies are holding on to their dollars with industrial strength glue.

I was considering grabbing one soon for school work. Mostly for checking and annotating notes, as well somewhere to put my digital books since I can't stand reading them at my desktop.

Thing is, I can only think of all of 3 things. So what else can I do? I'm an engineering student if that helps.

Cheebo

Banned
I was considering grabbing one soon for school work. Mostly for checking and annotating notes, as well somewhere to put my digital books since I can't stand reading them at my desktop.

Thing is, I can only think of all of 3 things. So what else can I do? I'm an engineering student if that helps.

It's a computer except more portable and with a touch screen. All kinds of computer tasks can be done by it really well. Watching netflix/hulu/downloaded media/etc, browsing the internet, playing games, social networking, etc. It is also pretty solid with stuff like iPhoto and iMovie as a photo and video editor.

Buying it to use as a notepad won't be a good idea. It's largely a consumption device still in this context. There is nothing you can do it for schoolwork that you can't do faster, more effectively and cheaper on a notebook; including annotations and note taking.

If you want to read magazines and surf the web quickly and easily, then get an iPad. It's also something you can take to class with you as a secondary tool, not a primary one.

Is anyone with the 16GB regretting their decision? I'm looking to buy an iPad for my mom for mother's day... I guess she doesn't need more than 16GB right? Then again, my dad is a bit more tech savvy and might want to dabble in it...

Is anyone with the 16GB regretting their decision? I'm looking to buy an iPad for my mom for mother's day... I guess she doesn't need more than 16GB right? Then again, my dad is a bit more tech savvy and might want to dabble in it...

The vast majority of apps I have on my 16GB are an average of 30MB. I don't have any songs, or movies or large photo galleries and if I do then I'll be selective about them anyway. Media is more likely to fill up space than apps and their content. That is of course unless your dad discovers magazine subscriptions; each edition can be up to 500MB.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
16 gig is perfect for my purposes. Haven't even checked the space used stats since like the first week I got it. Go with the 16.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I couldn't even imagine having only 16 myself. But then again I like the ability to have the two classic Office seasons on here, and all my games that I'm currently playing (no local music or photos though). Even still I'm quite frugal with my space -- deleting games I don't play and shows after I've watched them. Could probably pull it off with a 32 but then I'd have to be super frugal and that takes time.

Top Bottom