• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official E-Cigarette Thread Of F#ck Analog Cigarettes

Schrade

Funny that someone would post this thread today. I just happened to stop at a 7-11 and saw some $20.00 e-Hookah thing that looks like these.

I hope more and more people start using these.. I hate having to walk through/smell cigarette smoke.

SpacLock

RiccochetJ said:
First off this is the best place to do your research if you're interested in e-cigs:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/

I've been using the Titan model for about a year now. The biggest problem that I was having at the beginning was that the default filling in the cart (what holds the juice) wasn't giving a good throat hit or good vapor...

That was until I found this cart mod:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/cartridge-mods/53487-zfm-zero-filler-mod.html
It's as close to direct dripping as you're going to get.

I also like the blue foam mod as well. Both mods produce a great throat hit and great vapor.

I rotate 2 batteries and a passthrough and have had great results with that. The passthrough helps keep your batteries for when you're out and about.

My buddy's older sister purchased the Blu brand and I gave it a try last time I saw her. My major problem was what you were referring to above. I never got that throat hit feeling which is one of the reasons I still smoke. I rarely got enough vapor out of the thing either, unless I hit it hard multiple times really quickly. I also had to take insanely long drags and I still would barely feel anything.

Before I start digging through the forum for information, what's your exact setup and would you recommend it since that's what I'm looking for? Is the Titan the best you have tried?

Salsa

So the nerds who became cool by smoking go back to being nerds :D

Thankfully i dont smoke anymore, would definetly give this a try.

daw840

SpacLock said:
My buddy's older sister purchased the Blu brand and I gave it a try last time I saw her. My major problem was what you were referring to above. I never got that throat hit feeling which is one of the reasons I still smoke. I rarely got enough vapor out of the thing either, unless I hit it hard multiple times really quickly. I also had to take insanely long drags and I still would barely feel anything.

Before I start digging through the forum for information, what's your exact setup and would you recommend it since that's what I'm looking for? Is the Titan the best you have tried?

I have the exact setup shown in the OP with the standard cartridge and the eJuice. I am still getting used to how much juice to put in and how long to drag and what not, but it seems to work great. I have been smoking regular cigarettes for 10 years at about a pack a day, this gives me the nearly same throat hit and rush of nicotine that a regular cig gives.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
SpacLock said:

Everyone's personal tastes are different, but I'm ecstatic with my choice after making some cart mods. I've heard great things about the Mini and completely recommend the Titan.

I currently use a Black Titan 510 E-NIC. You can get a starter kit which usually gives you a couple batteries, a couple atomizers, a charger, and some pre-filled carts or some empty carts and a vial of juice with your choice of flavoring and strength.

Looking around at some vendors, a starter kit will run you around $50 US.

Right now I have about 10 atomizers in storage and exclusively use 2 rotating every day until they burn out. The reason I have so many is because the time that they last can be extremely variable. I've had some burn out after 2 weeks, but the ones I'm using now have been going strong for over 2 months.

I rotate 3 manual batteries (a manual battery activates with the press of a button rather than turning on by suction). The life span really depends on how much you're using it.

I also have a usb passthrough. It looks like a battery but it instead plugs into any usb port and you have unlimited vaping. The great part is you can stealth vape (hold it long enough and there won't be any 'smoke' when you exhale) at work if you sit in front of a computer all day.

As for juice, I currently have cherry, Red Bull, and Marlboro flavors all at 18mg for nicotine.

There are plenty of vendors out there and I personally use http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.com/ and have had nothing but great service from them.
Whatever you do though, don't buy that shit from the mall or from those radio commercials. They are a complete rip off.

SpacLock

RiccochetJ said:
Everyone's personal tastes are different, but I'm ecstatic with my choice after making some cart mods. I've heard great things about the Mini and completely recommend the Titan.

I currently use a Black Titan 510 E-NIC. You can get a starter kit which usually gives you a couple batteries, a couple atomizers, a charger, and some pre-filled carts or some empty carts and a vial of juice with your choice of flavoring and strength.

Right now I have about 10 atomizers in storage and exclusively use 2 rotating every day until they burn out. The reason I have so many is because the time that they last can be extremely variable. I've had some burn out after 2 weeks, but the ones I'm using now have been going strong for over 2 months.

I rotate 3 manual batteries (a manual battery activates with the press of a button rather than turning on by suction). The life span really depends on how much you're using it.

I also have a usb passthrough. It looks like a battery but it instead plugs into any usb port and you have unlimited vaping. The great part is you can stealth vape (hold it long enough and there won't be any 'smoke' when you exhale) at work if you sit in front of a computer all day.

As for juice, I currently have cherry, Red Bull, and Marlboro flavors all at 18mg for nicotine.

There are plenty of vendors out there and I personally use http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.com/ and have had nothing but great service from them.
Whatever you do though, don't buy that shit from the mall or from those radio commercials. They are a complete rip off.

Awesome. Thanks a lot.

I think I'm going to pick up the 510 starter kit and look for some manual batteries. Hopefully these will keep me away from tobacco, especially when drunk.

Hari Seldon

RiccochetJ said:

Thanks for all the info. I started with the Blu and then found Arno's website and have just purchased from him ever since. But the gadget whore in me wants to branch out and try some of the other brands. :lol

Must show my eCig love.

Been 9 months since I have touched a cig or ecig. The eCig was a huge part of my quitting. They are a great way to first cut back, then transition to just the eCig then stop all together. The transition from smoking to quitting both ecig and analogs took about three weeks and I haven't looked back.

For all the haters, fuck off, these are very viable form of quitting or reducing smoking. One of the biggest factors for me was how much it mimed smoking and not just getting nicotine as in gum or a patch. I could go out out smoke breaks with buds and just hit my eCig and not fuck up the ridiculously strong habit of smoking aside from the chemical addiction.

There are trace amounts of carcinogens, but no more than what is found in nicotine gum or some pre packaged foods. As with anything, I researched the hell out of these before ever buying one. Numerous studies in different countries all supporting eCigs. I wish the FDA would stop protecting American Tobacco companies and allows these to be sold more freely in the states.

Any smokers out there wanting to quit, I highly recommend these. I will gladly field any questions, anything to get another smoker to quit, and believe me, I fucking loved smoking but I am so happy I am done. Aug 7th will be 1 year smoke free. Woot.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
SpacLock said:
Awesome. Thanks a lot.

I think I'm going to pick up the 510 starter kit and look for some manual batteries. Hopefully these will keep me away from tobacco, especially when drunk.

Don't rely on them at the beginning when you're drunk :lol Eventually, but not immediately :)

If you're going to try the Titan, I'd recommend trying to get the starter pack where you get the vial of liquid instead of the pre-loaded carts. The pre-loaded ones are quite frankly terrible and are usually almost dry.

Also, I'd recommend you use the blue foam mod. Now if you google that or hop on the e-cig forum, you're going to get some extremely anal and confusing instructions. Here's the best vid I've seen that get's you up and running quick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPDIWARk2Ow&feature=related. However, with this mod you don't want to get your atomizer extremely hot (like holding down the button for 20 seconds etc) because there's a chance you could melt the foam and that can't be good for you :S

Edit: Also wash the foam with soap and water when you first get them otherwise it you'll get a nasty taste :lol

Snuggler said:
This is so odd but I want to try it. I doubt it would be a decent substitute for the real thing.
It works wonders for me and apparently the OP, but everyone's different :)

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
If they make a cigar model with Vegas 5 classic flavors I might give it a shot

For anyone buying these, don't try to go 100% eCig at first, I think you will just end up hating it because it isn't exactly like an analog. Try to substitute as many smokes throughout the day with the eCig, something like, only analogs after work, etc.

Think of how much money and lung health you will save by reducing your smokes from 14 a day to 2 or 3. Hopefully eventually you will find yourself skipping more smoke breaks and just hitting your eCig and before you know it the analogs will be few and far between and then gone.

Edit:
Blackace said:
If they make a cigar model with Vegas 5 classic flavors I might give it a shot

A eCigar will never hold a candle to a real one. I still smoke real cigars when fishing or lounging outside in the summer. Love em, and since I don't inhale them or smoke them that often I don't consider it "cheating"

If you like the Vegas 5's, for a bit more money you should try the CAO Blacks. Best cigar for $ I have had in a long time. Easily my favorite right now.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
gutterboy44 said:
A eCigar will never hold a candle to a real one. I still smoke real cigars when fishing or lounging outside in the summer. Love em, and since I don't inhale them or smoke them that often I don't consider it "cheating"

If you like the Vegas 5's, for a bit more money you should try the CAO Blacks. Best cigar for $ I have had in a long time. Easily my favorite right now.

I wish I was at home... this would have been the perfect excuse to show off my cigar collection.

CSO blacks are pretty nice. I really do like them. But Vega classics and As are my go to brands. Best bang for my buck imo.

When I have extra I spring for Don Pepins. But yeah Blacks are awesome and have a good kick to them. I am not too big on "mild" cigars. But then again I smoke about 1 a day at least.. and more on the weekends.

Blackace said:
I wish I was at home... this would have been the perfect excuse to show off my cigar collection.

CSO blacks are pretty nice. I really do like them. But Vega classics and As are my go to brands. Best bang for my buck imo.

When I have extra I spring for Don Pepins. But yeah Blacks are awesome and have a good kick to them. I am not too big on "mild" cigars. But then again I smoke about 1 a day at least.. and more on the weekends.
Oh man, all this cigar talk, think I might have to go have one on the terrace. I'll check out the Pepins out sometime. I love when my Dad gets some Opus X's for special occasions, so fucking tasty I want to eat them.

Long time reader, first time poster, love this entire board.

ANYWAY

Can someone with significant experience with this tell me exactly what I need to get started? Yeah I know I can read the websites and all that but many times those places sell you shit you dont really need and all that. I really want to try this out as I cant take the hacking anymore that 18 years of smoking Marlboros has given me. Along with a few coasters, an ashtray, a shot glass set, a decent backpack and a really nice dartboard.

Help get started someone!

Chojin

I just picked up the Joy510. Locally... overpaid for it. Live and learn.

But I got that site bookmarked now Daw and I think I found a winner. Packs are going up to 6 bucks non-res here in New Mexico. I spend about 75 dollars a week on cigarettes.

The price alone is what I'm after. 10 dollars for the juice, about 50 for a replacement kit if I need, I already have the charger and stuff now (comes in a metal box, charge the box, then the box charges the battery) so replacement batteries and atomizers shouldn't be a pain.

Its not bad. I never wanted to quit smoking but now its a way where I sorta did, sorta didn't :p

Chojin

GameGamer said:
Can you refill it with your own tap/filtered water instead of flavors and chemicals?

The atomizer isn't going to get it hot quickly enough to vaporize the water. Plus if if you use tap or filtered water there's still minerals that might corrode on the coils.

I suppose distilled water would work... but on the website they have plain old vegetable glycol you could use, unflavored and non-nicotene containing.

oatmeal

Banned
I had no idea what this thread was going in, and ... I'm still confused.

An e-cigarette.

You guys are like robots. Fucking total recall or something! :lol

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
oatmeal said:
I had no idea what this thread was going in, and ... I'm still confused.

An e-cigarette.

You guys are like robots. Fucking total recall or something! :lol
fake cigarette

you inhale water vapor instead of smoke

you can start off with nicotine ones and taper down to no nicotine over time

it helps people quit smoking because it feels like smoking a cigarette and it weans them off of nicotine.

daw840

I have actually cut down a LOT on regular cigarettes since I got this ecig. Only smoked about 1 pack last week, down from 7!

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
daw840 said:
I have actually cut down a LOT on regular cigarettes since I got this ecig. Only smoked about 1 pack last week, down from 7!

I really want to try this. I'm so sick of smokers lung. I can barely make it up 2 flights of steps before I'm short of breath, and I'm not fat.. sad.

Dipper145

How do these work really, if you smoke them around people is it just as bad as second hand smoke?

I guess they aren't because you can smoke them inside in places you legally can't smoke? Or can you just do it because people don't know what they are?

daw840

Dipper145 said:
How do these work really, if you smoke them around people is it just as bad as second hand smoke?

I guess they aren't because you can smoke them inside in places you legally can't smoke? Or can you just do it because people don't know what they are?

No, the "smoke" (which is actually just vapor) disappears nearly immediately after you blow it out. It contains none of the harmful chemicals found in regular cigarette smoke. I was "vaping" while watching Iron Man 2 on saturday and no one even noticed. No smell, no tar, just a bit of nicotine and some flavoring.

Chojin

Dipper145 said:

I work graves and have been vaping away at my desk. However I'm going to go to HR in the morning one of these days just to make sure I'm not breaking any rules. Chewing Tobacco and Snus isn't banned or anything, this is merely another nicotene transfer system. No smoke. No technicality, but still I want to make sure it's smoothed over.

The vapor dissapates before it reaches anyone, but there's always people who complain, even more than 500 miles away from me (eyeballs Jiji) Probably already doing one of those *cough cough* things if he reads this post.

Javaman

Hari Seldon said:
That is not true. Sure you can buy some shady juice from someone, but if you stick to the reputable sites recommended on the vaping message boards for your juice you are fine. Plus, no tar.

I got a good laugh out of one guy on an E-cig forum. He was mixing his own nicotine juice but always felt nauseous. When he posted his formula they realised he had messed up a decimal place and was using 10 TIMES too much pure nicotine. :lol

lachesis

Well, I've been vaping over a year. My respiratory funcitons are much more improved - especially running and all. Heck, I can do P90X Plyo.

But I do have maintenance issue with e-cigs - especially short batter lives.... so that's why I went for the mods. (original SD from Trog) - yeah, still 3.7v, but with LR attys, it's pretty decent, while still very portable. I'm continuously lowering my nic level - now I'm down to 6mg.

Ecigs have changed my life. I've been smoking over 15 years, and when I switched to e-cig, it was instantaneous switch, and never looked back. I just don't get it why people are so afraid. Ecigs are for hopeless old geezers like myself, who loves to smoke but don't want the known adverse health effects. It's not like I smoke for the looks or whatnot - i smoke because I love doing so. They are trying to ban for the kids, but heck... only thing that e-cig stands for is "I'm a nicotine addict". It's not cool looking. Look at my freaking SD. It literally looks like a screwdriver. ;)

lachesis

345triangle said:
can you smoke these on planes?

Some planes/airlines allow them I believe - but I haven't checked latest. Last year or so, some airlines did forbid vaping on plane.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
flsh said:
These aren't healthy. A lot of them have diethylene glycol. More info:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/23/health/policy/23fda.html
The last thing you can call ecigs is safe.

Ya I remember that FDA report and subsequent news reports. Complete bullshit by the way. It was a scare piece and sensationalist journalism at it's best. Do a bit more research into the actual FDA report and they found one cartridge that contained ~1% concentration of diethylene glycol. Well below even the minimum so called toxicity levels. According to your helpful wiki link a 150lb person would have to consume 9.5mg of the stuff for minimum toxicity. So 1% of a cart doesn't come anywhere close to that.

Also almost all use propylene glycol which is used in food coloring, tooth paste etc :D

Chojin

So its been about another week since I last posted.

I have to say. My cig intake has cut down dramatically. Essentially I was having one to work and one going home from work and then maybe 10 at home intermixed with the e-cig. That was after the first week. This is the second week. I still have them in the car. However I'm smoking less and less.

I checked with work and I can "puff" all day I want at my desk no problems. Tis the awesome.

I ran out of "juice" last night before my last break. So I went to my car and lit up. And man. It, it tasted like what everyone is telling me it "should" taste like. Like utter shit. Instead of delicious Camel Wides I was tasting a burning weed in my mouth. I could only smoke half of it, then I was like fuck this.

Here's the thing though. A few years back I was dared by my roomate to not smoke a cigarette for a whole month, and, I didn't. Yeah I was irratible but I didn't bitch about cravings and what not, yet when that month was over, I lit up, and yeah back where I was, deliciousness.

Two weeks on these e-cigs, and its like the brand of smokes I've been smoking since I was 14 (Camel Wides) taste like shit.

I dunno whats up with that. However, the fact that in New Mexico some places have gone up to 6 bucks a pack, now they taste like shit, I think I found a new vice. Sure I look like a pansy where it looks like I'm sucking off a laser pointer, but goddamn, I'm getting everything I need (including dirty looks) that I had when smoking cigarettes yet at a fraction of the cost.

Kruhex

flsh said:
These aren't healthy. A lot of them have diethylene glycol. More info:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/23/health/policy/23fda.html
The last thing you can call ecigs is safe.

1. The FDA tested E-JUICE (the caps on the e-juice part are on purpose)
2. The FDA tested e-juice from china (would you buy fish from a contaminated river over there)
3. They found it in one sample of the e-juice (I believe it was one)
4. There are a million places now that sell e-juice that are not shady, do not put any excess crap in the juice and some actually test their stuff through labs to make sure (EcoPure)
5. The FDA has a problem with these and still allows cigarettes to be sold and nicotine gum which has nasty side effects
6. FDA is fueled by dollar, not about peoples' health

There is no reason someone can find for the e-cig and the e-juice (if made properly) to be a hazard to your health. If every smoker switched over to these, the tobacco industry would either have to catch up or be in shambles considering anyone can make their own liquid and it's cheap to do so.

Edit: Oh and I still love the M401s. I tried the Vapor King model and they are terrible...dunno why people love them. The throat hit hurts, the drag is a joke and the vapor production is terrible. Also, vaping anything out of them has a gross vanilla taste to me. Best juice I've had are the Wrath juices (Waffle, Watermelon are the key).

daw840

Glad to see everyone is enjoying there Ecigs. I have noticed my main problem is at work, and when drinking. Moreso at work. Getting up and going outside for a smoke is probably my favorite part of the day here at work. Gets me away from my desk for a bit. Plus I have a lot of friends that I go smoke with throughout the day. I end up smoking a few regular cigs throughout the day just because of that. Been really hard to kick that habit. Drinking is kind of bothersome, but it's doabl until I get REALLY fucking drunk.

Top Bottom