• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official E-Cigarette Thread Of F#ck Analog Cigarettes

Broseybrose

Ive been posting in this thread since i converted to ecigs back in July 2010. My last post was 3 months ago and nothing has changed. So Ive been vaping for 14 months already. In that time I never once felt the need for a cigarette though I have smoked a few. But the best parts about vaping are: the money ive saved, the health Im sure my lungs have recovered, and finally the taste. So many juices and flavors to choose from.

Again, if youre serious about giving e-cigs a try, buy a Riva 510 or eGo 510 starter kit online. If you buy in person you will most likely get ripped off.

edit- It's best to unplug your battery once its charged. Just keep in mind that leaving it plugged in when fully charged will VERY SLOWLY shorten the life span of the battery. But by that time you may need new batteries anyway, so... it doesnt really matter.

coldvein

Banned
it doesn't work. it has no harmful chemicals. you can't smoke a pack of e-cigarettes at the bar and then cough up a bunch of garbage all day the next day. accept no substitute. big tobacco, it's the real thing.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I just got my Apollo Standard kit in the mail today, with the free disposable one. Got full-strength menthol flavor. So far I've only used the disposable one but I'm liking it. It really almost feels like I'm inhaling smoke, which helps complete the "having a smoke" experience. Not too hot on the taste, though.

eastmen

Banned
I ordered the joye ego from liberty flights with the tank system and two 900mah batterys. Was only $55 bucks. So i'm quite happy.

If you guys check out the site www.liberty-flights.com the uper left hand corner has a 20% link that saves you 20% off everything on the site , i think its till the end of the month. They are the best priced site i've found

Hari Seldon

Broseybrose said:
Ive been posting in this thread since i converted to ecigs back in July 2010. My last post was 3 months ago and nothing has changed. So Ive been vaping for 14 months already. In that time I never once felt the need for a cigarette though I have smoked a few. But the best parts about vaping are: the money ive saved, the health Im sure my lungs have recovered, and finally the taste. So many juices and flavors to choose from.

Again, if youre serious about giving e-cigs a try, buy a Riva 510 or eGo 510 starter kit online. If you buy in person you will most likely get ripped off.

edit- It's best to unplug your battery once its charged. Just keep in mind that leaving it plugged in when fully charged will VERY SLOWLY shorten the life span of the battery. But by that time you may need new batteries anyway, so... it doesnt really matter.

I can also nominate the eGo 510. The battery is fucking incredible and it has been the only e-cig I have owned that has lasted me more than 6 months.

soepje

I´m an e-cig noob..

I´m looking into ordering a joye eGo. I`m confused though. On this site i can order some extra cartridges in diffrent shapes, some of them empty others mention things like `MLB H black round´. I´m guessing that means nicotine.. But there are no diffrent tastes to choose from. So i should buy some empty cartridges and buy something else to fill them with? What else should i get then?
Also, what is a cartomizer?

mrplaid

Got my first e-Cig last night, an Apollo disposable. It's not bad, but I'm not crazy about the taste. I got a medium nicotine level Tobacco-flavored, but it tastes more like a Black & Mild (which I used to smoke a lot of for some reason). Also, the warmth that I'm used to isn't there, but I attribute that to the fact that it's a disposable model. I definitely feel that "throat hit" which seems to be why a lot of people like the Apollos.
Overall, I like it. I'm curious to know how the disposable Apollos stack up against the eCigs in the starter kits.

Broseybrose

Count Dookkake said:
Haven't had a real cig in about 3 days. Not using the electronic one nearly as much, either.

This is awesome.
Right on! I hope it does the trick for you.

I can only speak for myself, but like I've said many times in this thread, these things work. Find an ecig you like, find a couple flavors you like, get used to it, and cigarettes become a thing of the past.

Okay I caved and bought the apollo standard starter pack.

My wife is going to go ballistic... She hates it when I smoke (although I smoke less than 3 cigs a day average and have long periods where I don't smoke. Only when the stress rizes at work or on social events I break out the cigarettes.)

I already said I'de like to order an e-cig and her reaction was flatout negative.

Still I find it a very good solution to both our problems,
I can keep smoking a bit when I feel like it,
she doesn't have to worry about smell, hart attacks or aother health risks...

I hope I can get her to understand the positives and avoid the immanent shit-storm.

The wait is killing me by the way...

Animation-Imp said:
My wife is going to go ballistic...
I don't mean to be offensive but your wife is an idiot if she goes ballistic over this. It's pretty much the perfect solution assuming you can't / wont quit.

Blackface

Banned
My mom has smoked for damn near 40 years. She now has bad COPD, various other lung problems and is on Oxygen for the rest of her life. In January, after her COPD began to get worse, she decided to try the electronic cigs.

She has not smoked a real one since. So if you are thinking of trying them, they work for some people, even long time smokers.

Psychotext said:
I don't mean to be offensive but your wife is an idiot if she goes ballistic over this. It's pretty much the perfect solution assuming you can't / wont quit.

Yeah, well that's what she'll go ballistic over.
She quit several years ago, I did too, but once in a while (sometimes after six months, sometimes longer, sometimes less) I feel the urge to smoke and buy a pack of cigarettes.
This pisses her off to no end.
She considers it a sign of weakness, while I support the notion of me being a recreative smoker.
I can let it go whenever I want and pick it up whenever I want as I feel little to no physical addiction to the nicotine. Psychological however I really like a cig. The act of smoking, with a couple of friends at a party, or lighting one up after a meal just feels so rewarding.

So we have two opposing views there, and I think she's scared the e-cig will be a stepping stone to more nicotine consumption and eventually analog cigs. Which could be the case, I have to admit.

She doen't think an alternative is a good idea. She's a full stop kind of girl.
Now I'll try to get her to see it my way. And it certainly will not cost me my relationship.
If she an't live with it, I'll find someone to gift them to...

Oh and I'm pretty sure my wife's not an idiot, she's one of the coolest persons I've ever met.
But she's pregnant right now and the fuse is considerably shorter than it normally is...

Animation-Imp said:
So we have two opposing views there, and I think she's scared the e-cig will be a stepping stone to more nicotine consumption and eventually analog cigs. Which could be the case, I have to admit.
I suggest you use the fruit flavours rather than tobacco then. I couldn't go back go smoking now, would be horrible.

You too can be a "convicted ex smoker".

Also, there's nothing stopping you using the e-cig with no nicotine (I'd actually consider that right from the start).

Psychotext said:
I suggest you use the fruit flavours rather than tobacco then. I couldn't go back go smoking now, would be horrible.

You too can be a "convicted ex smoker".

Also, there's nothing stopping you using the e-cig with no nicotine (I'd actually consider that right from the start).

Yeah well the nicotine rush is what makes it fun though.
Might get some nicotine free cartridges to convince the wife though...

cajunator

Banned
I don't smoke and never had, but this technology fascinates me. Have NO inclination to ever try it but I just think it's neat.

Broseybrose

cajunator said:
I don't smoke and never had, but this technology fascinates me. Have NO inclination to ever try it but I just think it's neat.
Its funny you say that because pretty much anyone could build one of these things, theyre so simple. All you need is a battery and a coil to produce heat. And nicotine liquid to heat up. That is really all it is!

And since this thread has been active as of late im just gonna recommend some of the most delicious juices that ive come across in my 14 months of vaping.

Sweet Caroline - Sweetened tobacco flavor from ivape.net

Organic VR4 - Sweetened caramel tobacco from vaperite.com - all organic ingredients including tobacco flavor.

Organic Pecan Praline - also from vaperite.com - my god so delish

Maple Tobacco - from BackwoodsBrew.com. I also LOVE their 555. I vouch for everything on the backwoods brew menu and love all of the many flavors ive tried from them.

mrplaid

I wasn't super-impressed with my disposable Apollo ecig, but I broke down and bought a Halo G6 anyway. I could tell right off the bat there's a big difference in quality between the disposables and non-disposables. I'm really digging the Halo G6 as my first "real" ecig. I got the starter kit along with the Torque 56 juice and it's great. It's almost like smoking a pancake. Maybe I've just got my lemon-scented visor of self-delusion equipped, but I think I like it better than actual cigarettes.
Anyway, I'm fully onboard the ecig bandwagon now. My only problem is I want to smoke it all the damn time...

I went ahead and bought Joye Ego Mega kit for my wife due to multiple recommendations. I was tired of recharging the Blu batteries. One of them had went bad, and I had just sent that back. I had also just got 2 replacement Blu batteries in the mail today. Since my wife used to be a heavy smoker, she would go through those batteries in about 25-30 minutes before recharging. It's just not worth the hassle anymore. Blu is going to be regulated to the backup pile.

What's the best place to get an e cigarette starter kit if im in Toronto? I need to quit smoking and this seems like a good enough substitute for now. Cheaper shipping to the Toronto area would be a big plus

I've never smoked before and don't plan to start. But I'm interested in the Blu non-nicotine cigs because I have an oral fixation and wouldn't mind puffing on some yummy cherry flavored liquid.

Is the fluid harmful at all? Basically, it is just inhaling water vapor without any health risks? Or should I just stick to chewing gum?

Leona Lewis said:
I've never smoked before and don't plan to start. But I'm interested in the Blu non-nicotine cigs because I have an oral fixation and wouldn't mind puffing on some yummy cherry flavored liquid.

Is the fluid harmful at all? Basically, it is just inhaling water vapor without any health risks? Or should I just stick to chewing gum?

There is nothing harmful about the liquid apart from the nicotine. Here are the ingredients:

Distilled water
USP Grade Glycerin,
natural & artificial flavors
Citric acid.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
thehillissilent said:
There is nothing harmful about the liquid apart from the nicotine. Here are the ingredients:

Distilled water
USP Grade Glycerin,
natural & artificial flavors
Citric acid.
Can't you get liquid without the nicotine? Doesn't sound like he would want it.

SapientWolf said:
Can't you get liquid without the nicotine? Doesn't sound like he would want it.
Yeah, you can. I've been using zero nicotine liquids for a while now. You can even mix them yourself if you want.

Leona Lewis said:
It's just that someone said that even the non-nicotine ones have carcinogens. Don't know whether that's just FUD or not.
It's the same FUD that stated some of the liquids had antifreeze in them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol#Safety

Grinchy

Banned
My friend tried out like 3 different electronic cigs. He would smoke the things, then like 40 minutes later he'd go outside and have a real one. It was the biggest waste of money I've ever seen. I'm not saying these don't work, I'm just pointing out what a baby he is. He's like a brother that pisses me off all the time but he's too close to me to cut him loose.

I smoked for like 8 years. I quit 2 times. Both times were cold turkey. The second time stuck. I'm not an expert, but I'd personally recommend a weening program that you set up yourself. If you smoke 10 cigarettes per day, limit yourself to 7. Do that for a week and try 6 the next week. That's how you build up willpower, which is all it takes to quit.

On the flip side, I switched from 30 a day smoking to electronic cigarettes one day... had a stressful few days adjusting and never looked back. Now I don't even have nicotine and only occasionally use the ecig.

You wont stop smoking unless you actively choose to stop (or switch). Being ok with still smoking cigarettes whilst using an ecig is unlikely to work particularly well if you're trying to quit.

SLV

Well, today i bought a e-cig starter pack and got a apple cartridge pack aswell :p
Wish me luck, this thread has really inspired me to try and do something about smoking !

Belfast

Man, I wish there was a good retail space for these sorts of things. Not willing to get the cheap stuff at 7-11 and the Blu at Walgreen's I've been smoking is alright, but they only have the disposables.

All the kits and online shops seem vastly confusing to me, at least in terms of their language and what things may or may not be compatible with each other. Or even what shops are reputable (despite some of the recommendations in this thread, the feeling of walking through the internet equivalent of a third-world bazaar doesn't inspire confidence).

Edit: Obviously the Joye stuff seems to be the most popular, but what are the differences between the eGo/510 and their Tank system versions?

I really need to start using my e-cig again. I had lost my whole stash about a year and a half ago, but just didn't smoke anything for about three months. Then went back to analogues. I bought a new set of e-cig crap, but this time around they were giving me weird headaches, so I just stopped bothering. I need to try again because it was great the first time around.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
SpartanForce said:
I smoke 40 cigars a day.
May try this shit...

40 cigars a day?

qlWIC.jpg

Stasis

I just ordered an Apollo standard starter kit with 8mg nicotine cartomizers... got standard tobacco, and then an extra set of vanilla flavor to see. It came with a free disposable one so I took coffee flavor on that.

I took the plunge largely because of this thread. I'll post updates after I receive it and try it out a bit.

I decided to spend the week not even smoking the e-cig and succeeded... so I guess these things really do work if you eventually want to quit.

Broseybrose

Psychotext said:
I decided to spend the week not even smoking the e-cig and succeeded... so I guess these things really do work if you eventually want to quit.
I figured it would be that way, I just havent tried it because I enjoy vaping so much!

I keep 2 e-cigs handy! A Riva with a low-resistance cartomizer filled with my favorite flavor (sweet caroline - ivape.net) and an eGo with a bridge-less atomizer for dripping different flavors from Backwoods Brew and Vaperite.

ReaperXL7

So i'm going to bump this thread because I don't really want to make a new one when there is an OT for it. I have been heavily considering trying these things, but I have a few questions before I pony up the dough on them.

The first is if anyone has had any issues with i guess i'll call it brand compatibility. What I mean by this is that I personally now smoke Marlboro medium 100's, have for about 10 years now. I have always had a hard time going for a cheaper brand, or just a different brand because i'm so used to the way mediums taste, and very few other brands carry a medium label, not even sure why I latched onto the style specifically, but i've always found reds too much, and lights too little.

The second is that my plan is to try and use this to help me quit, I've been trying to push myself to quit and i've gotten to a point where I can usually not smoke at home. where the craving hits me most is during social gatherings where drinking is involved, driving, and at work. So are E-Cigs a good way to help myself quit, or are they ment as more of a replacement.

And last for now is has anyone had any personal health issues with these? It's tough looking for information on this topic because most of it is bogged down with alot of what I assume is political garbage, and miss information.

If anyone can answer any of these question it would be much appreciated.

Top Bottom