• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Gameplay Demo (E3 2014)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Welp, I've liked what they've shown of this a lot. But then again I was expecting a cross between 3rd person cover shooter and a David Cage game, which I'm perfectly fine with. Probably the best actual realtime visuals of any game shown, and it made some of the stuff they've shown later in the conference, like Battlefield, look terribly dated.

JoeFenix

I love how it fades to black when some actual gameplay is happening. Unbelievable, truly.

The complete lack of hit feedback when shooting the wolfdude is also laughable... oh and can't forget triangle to revive. Riveting stuff.

Apath

It looked great but the lack of gameplay being shown is really starting to worry me on this.
Precisely what the developers are tried to say it is many different times.
It's an interactive cinematic story with third person shooting mechanics.
If that is all it ends up being I will sadly have to pass. I hope you are wrong.

orioto

Good Art™
I honestly think it's like.. the first monster in the game so they have this whole way of cutting it like a movie and all that. It must be more free afetr that.

But they are realllly not good at showing that their game is something else than a rail shooter or dragon's lair. That was embarrassing, how the aiming cursor appeared 10 seconds in the footage lol...

arhra

That whole thing made those segments in Gears where Marcus is forced to walk slowly with his finger jammed in his ear look like a pinnacle of interactive gameplay.

Elios83

It looked great but the lack of gameplay being shown is really starting to worry me on this.

That's the gameplay, you move the character around, sometimes you shoot, sometimes there's a QTE, all blended as if it was a continous movie.

Kiant

Well a better showing than the last few times. No tearing far as I could see. Not much in the gameplay department but I've got hope for this game. The wear wolf/halfbreed looked very nice - can't fault this game in the graphic department.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Until RAD shows the larger environments from the concept art, destruction, and more varied weapons I'm just going to treat this as a Telltale/QD esque game. I love games like that but if this truly is representitive of the full game then RAD was very misleading. Still excited but adjusting expectations.

Yeah, I was hoping for more. Not the greatest video to quell people's criticism of it. The phosphorous gun alone from the last demo still gives me hope though. We'll see.

tasch

Banned
That's the gameplay, you move the character around, sometimes you shoot, sometimes there's a QTE, all blended as if it was a continous movie.

you mean its a blend of non of those things. This game is like listening to a cd that's skipping constantly, it's incoherent, and the constant transition between whats supposed to be a game, and whats supposed to be a cinematic, and what's supposed to be a rail section means that any narrative aspect is completely lost because you're constantly focusing on these horrible and broken mechanics at different intervals.

Until RAD shows the larger environments from the concept art, destruction, and more varied weapons I'm just going to treat this as a Telltale/QD esque game. I'm fine with games like that but if this truly is representative of the full game then RAD was very misleading.
Yep. It looks utterly fantastic but the game play in that clip consisted of movie scenes where you can shoot things every now and then. I have confidence the entire game won't be like that but I have to see proof of that first.

Vibranium

Banned
Yeah, this game has had a very tough time communicating very well, RAD and Sony had better show much more next time. I myself am really not feeling it, I already have my Wolfenstein for crazy fun.

reKon

Banned
I guess that the entire game is going to be terrible then, right guys?

I understand that's annoying when developers don't properly show off their game, but negativity here is incredible.

scsa

The gameplay sections look great graphics wise.
I am hoping Ready at dawn executes the potential this title has.

rdrr gnr

Until RAD shows the larger environments from the concept art, destruction, and more varied weapons I'm just going to treat this as a Telltale/QD esque game. I love games like that but if this truly is representitive of the full game then RAD was very misleading. Still excited but adjusting expectations.
This assumes anything of those exist in a meaningful fashion.

SDJGreen

Banned
Visually stunning - but in this preview the gameplay looked like shit, if you could call it that. It's looked better in other previews though, so I have hope.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I love how it fades to black when some actual gameplay is happening. Unbelievable, truly.
Huh? There's no fades to black to and from any of the gameplay? It's always instant cuts because there's no videos playing at any time in this demo. The whole opening before he sees that monster is player controlling the guy around.

Thought it was really tense, until the token gameplay showed up then all I could do was roll my eyes and the tension and immersion was instantly broken.

Pretty much every thing that is wrong with games today. Unfortunately all the doubters were vindicated. As soon as I heard third person shooter and filmic game I had a bad feeling.

JoeFenix

Huh? There's no fades to black to and from any of the gameplay? It's always instant cuts because there's no videos playing at any time in this demo. The whole opening before he sees that monster is player controlling the guy around.

I meant at the end when he's shooting the werewolf. I don't consider walking while holding a lantern to be "gameplay".

It's just a way to link to the next cutscene, nothing meaningful happens.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Looked absolutely dreadful. Essentially it played to the letter of how people like to make fun of it. Why even show up if you are going to show a grand total of 7 button presses

Agreed.

Ready at Dawn is now completely off the radar for me. They're a joke.

What an embarrassment at every showing this has been.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Sure would have been nice if during those fleeting seconds of interactivity the enemy actually reacted to being shot.

I don't ask for much, I get that you're trying to make a very cinematic game with beautiful camerawork and seamless transitions, but for the love of fuck animate the goddamn enemies appropriately. If there were good hit reactions, I could maybe forgive the "walk backwards in a hallway and shoot a thing" bullshit. Player actions, no matter how trivial, need to have feedback.

Giggzy

This was my most exciting game after the CGI reveal for the PS4 in the near future, but after the last two gameplay previews I don't think I even want to purchase it anymore.

Learned a hard lesson of not getting hyped over CGI trailers anymore.

Top Bottom