• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Punk Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nopren

In all fairness, the bands that I like go 'ahhhhhhhhh' or 'whoooooooaaaaaaaaaaaa' in harmonic unison while the lead singer is doing his or her thing... usually during the chorus :p

With ska, I would venture a guess that you could accurately predict 4 or 5 chords that the guitarist is going to use at a high tempo.

It's a style for a particular genre. *shrug*

Well, sure. But Rise Records came up in conversation, and this video was tangentially related and, in my mind, quite funny.
But it is a "look how silly and formulaic this genre sounds like, now come look at my collection of NoFX albums" kind of thing.

Though I am looking forward to the new Bouncing Souls, they kinda lost me after "This is how my summer...", but picked it back up with "The Gold Record". Still need to listen to the EP's they've released since then.

Oh yeah, and Ignite has announced a europe tour this summer. Now if only they would make a new album, it's been six years since "The Darkest Days", and no, the new Pennywise album doesn't count.

RawPower

Banned
Some truly great bands in here. Nervous Gender is a favorite of mine. <3

I have nothing else to share with you right now, though. Sowwy.

Nah. Just different genres and different styles is all. I just couldn't really comment/contribute on some of the things you all posted in the past pages because it's not really my taste. I've always liked the fast harmonized stuff in the vein of Bad Religion.

Anyways, looking at the news I see that the Bouncing Souls are releasing a new album on June 12th. A new Bouncing Souls and a new Pulley album this year? Yes.

YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO MARATHON. They're one of my all time favorite melodic punk bands. Aaron Scott has such a good voice.

Closing Time at the Distortion Factory

Onemic

As someone who dabbles in punk rock from time to time, how are the Misfits? I always heard about them(mainly from their iconic logo) but never heard any of their stuff. Are they any good and what albums are worth listening to?

Damaged

As someone who dabbles in punk rock from time to time, how are the Misfits? I always heard about them(mainly from their iconic logo) but never heard any of their stuff. Are they any good and what albums are worth listening to?

Personally I only really like the early stuff when Danzig was with them, 'Walk Among us' is probably my favourite.

Personally I only really like the early stuff when Danzig was with them, 'Walk Among us' is probably my favourite.

Damn straight! Legacy of Brutality, Walk Among Us and Static Age form the Misfits 101 but Walk Among Us is the strongest of the three. Although, my opinion is biased because it contains my personal favourite of all Misfits-songs, Astro Zombies:

http://youtu.be/HZJPPOLBDcc

That's like 2 minutes and 16 seconds of pure business.

^ Night Birds is the best OC-band at the moment and they are from the wrong side of the continent

Everything from Danzig-era is worth listening to. Everything post-Danzig is shit.

Random band time

Facebook suggested I should be friends with one of the guitarist/singers once. That was weird, seeing as they're American and I'm not. Also the other singer/guitarist is the brother of one of the guys from The Menzingers.

J2d

I have been listening to some old lp's, Chokehold, MK-Ultra and Los Crudos etc. I have a hard time discovering new material these days since I don't go to shows anymore but I'll check out some of the stuff posted in this thread.

I guess hardcore is accepted in this thread? This is a pretty good live performance by My hero died today, I think it's the only good german hardcore band I can think of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBPt4A7o_Iw

SKINNER!

Banned
I thought I'd post this in here.

New Offspring Single And Album

daysgoby.jpg

"Days Go By" is the first single from the new album of the same name, Days Go By, which will be released in early Summer. Here is a sneak peak of the track listing to whet your appetite...

http://www.offspring.com/news#1

I've been listening to this band 'Atlas Losing Grip' recently, their latest album 'State of Unrest' is fucking fantastic;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMpmmQdkhG0 - Different Hearts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9oR7z9qAvo - Unrest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKHqcI8v6H4 - Bitter Blood

http://blackstarfoundation.bandcamp.com/album/state-of-unrest

Can anyone recommend anything similar? I was pretty heavily into punk rock at the end of the 90's, but am totally out of touch with newer bands and where the genre is at now.

So apparently Motion City Soundtrack's new album leaked because someone at Epitaph accidentally streamed the whole album on Soundcloud. Someone caught it and ripped it.

:lol

Subprime

hey. Theres a festival happening on august 24/25 in toronto thats put together by A Mountain Far (a small indie label/distro). It will be two days.
It looks very, very good. Bands include: mahria (edmonton), veneers (st. john's), alaskan (ottawa), and a bunch of others I cant remember.
I Spoke are doing a reunion show there.
heres an incomplete show listing.

tumblr_m2u2siHvE51qergpko1_500.jpg

ThedasSin

Did anyone else go to Punk Rock Bowling in Vegas this past weekend? I usually try to stay away from the big shows like this, but it was pretty fun! Cockney Rejects, GBH, Youth Brigade, The Avengers, Agent Orange... Mostly remaining members, but good times.

PRBT_3.9.png

Nopren

Pastepunk.com is shutting down.
I'm very sad to see this happen, even though their content has been few and far between. That site and punkrocks.net is more or less responsible for my taste in music, and they had a huge influence on me in my teens.

Here's to you, Jordan and the rest of the pastepunk crew

Nopren

Bad Religion is streaming the entirety of their coming album "True North" on their youtube channel: True North full album stream.

Aaand it sure is an Bad Religion album. The consistency with which these guys crank out amazing albums is incredible. The usual two or three listens it takes to appreciate the album is present here, but after that you can chalk up one more win for these guys.

Ultima_5

Hoping the guy above me didn't get banned for bumping this thread, but i want to share something that i thought was really cool.

My favorite band is the arrogant sons of bitches. loved them since i was like.... 14 or so. They broke up years ago (you may recognize the lead singer from bomb the music industry fame!), but they had an awesome reunion show about a year ago. anyway, i just stumbled upon some of the live vids of it and thought it was really great and looked like a fun show to attend. Figured i'd share!!!

every thread could use a bit more ska:
So Let's Go Nowhere
Piss Off
I, Musical Genius
Rocketrocketrocketship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom