• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Punk Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
God, knowing that there are crust + anarcho + peace punks on GAF makes me so happy.

Nopren

PROPAGANDHI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUCK YEAH!
63-19-Arts-H-Propagandhi2-Malazdrewich.jpg

[URL=http://imgur.com/gk70c][/URL]

They're playing Insub Fest this year

I want to goooo :C

Stupid planes, costing money
Yeah dude, I hear you. I'm lucky enough to live in Chicago so for the most part I get a lot of good acts without having to travel very far. However, I think me and my buddies are driving to Philly to see them and the Orphans (Erik Petersen of Mischief Brew) in June. Boner!

I disagree... I think they embody the ideas of punk to a great degree and while their music does whatever it wants, that hardcore punk backbone is in everything they do.

Somewhat. For the most part I think their body of work is too ambitious and complex to belong, and also their attitude is only somewhat rooted in Punk, these days.

Sonki.

Banned
Somewhat. For the most part I think their body of work is too ambitious and complex to belong, and also their attitude is only somewhat rooted in Punk, these days.

The last few albums have had a lot of bore - and I have no use to listen to them much any longer after seeing them last year. It wasn't that good. Almost rock-star shit. But you fail me and jane doe used to be records I really liked.
The whole math/metalcore thing is done to death and Converge really popularized that.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
As far as "big" acts go... I prefer stuff like the Clash, Mission of burma and Fugazi over stuff like NOFX and Bad Religion. It would make me sorta' sad if people's first exposure to punk was traditionalist stuff, but I like punk in general more than anything else in general, so no biggie.

RawPower

Banned
Converge, and math rock in general, is not my thing. I don't like it when a band (punk or otherwise) tries to shoehorn complexity into their music just to show off. Being a virtuoso means very little if your songwriting isn't up to snuff.

Just got into Fugazi recently after listening to Wugazi. I've been listening to Minor Threat for quite a while so I don't know why it took me so long. I think it's the fact I had 13 Songs which didn't really click with me as much as I wanted. But now that I've checked out all their stuff I <3 them

Werd.
If someone who'd never heard punk asked me to play them one song it would be, "Oh" I think.
That groove is hard to deny.

I'm not sure if I'd go with Oh (amazing track) but Fugazi would definitely be the way to go.
Anytime someone tells me they're not into Punk because it's "all the same", Fugazi and Refused are always my go to.

Every time I pick up a guitar, I wish I could just write the title track to Marquee Moon. So simple, but so awesome.

Tr00.

Best "street" band ever. ^^

lol. I never ever got into them (by conscious choice), even when I was in middle school or whatever. Fucking retarded lyrics paired with godawful music in general. There's probably only a few "street punk" bands I enjoy, A Global Threat being one of them (and its been a long time since I've listened to them)

RawPower

Banned
I still listen to a lot of street punk, but not the Casualties. I consider them to be the Limp Bizkit of punk rock, because a lot of people I know liked them until it dawned on them that they were a fucking idiotic band. Nowadays, they're so embarrassed that they once liked them, they outwardly deny it.

Also, diversity in punk began to falter after 1982, saw a short revival in the late 80's and mid 90's, and then died out again after the "pop punk" boom in 1994. That's my take.

I still listen to a lot of street punk, but not the Casualties. I consider them to be the Limp Bizkit of punk rock, because a lot of people I know liked them until it dawned on them that they were a fucking idiotic band. Nowadays, they're so embarrassed that they once liked them, they outwardly deny it.

Also, diversity in punk began to falter after 1982, saw a short revival in the late 80's and mid 90's, and then died out again after the "pop punk" boom in 1994. That's my take.

For your first point, same here. I can happily say I had my sensibilities somewhat right from the get go I guess.

For the second point, I dunno. There's always something new out man

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
For your first point, same here. I can happily say I had my sensibilities somewhat right from the get go I guess.

For the second point, I dunno. There's always something new out man

I'm kind of inclined to agree with him. Like Metal, a lot of modern acts seem to find one very specific sound and mine that niche. Where as in another decade a punk album might have 10 songs on it that all sound different, most of the stuff I try out anymore ends up being 12 variations on the same sub-sub-genre.
I blame the internet and the kids on my lawn. Maybe I'm just old or getting pointed toward the wrong stuff.

Not much for humour, are you?

C'mon... seriously? Casualties?

Anyway, street for me is a bit of non-event. Maybe some early Exploited and Agnostic, I guess.

I'm kind of inclined to agree with him. Like Metal, a lot of modern acts seem to find one very specific sound and mine that niche. Where as in another decade a punk album might have 10 songs on it that all sound different, most of the stuff I try out anymore ends up being 12 variations on the same sub-sub-genre.
I blame the internet and the kids on my lawn. Maybe I'm just old or getting pointed toward the wrong stuff.

What modern acts are you referring to? I know you're being general, but are there any in mind?

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
What modern acts are you referring to? I know you're being general, but are there any in mind?

I honestly don't have any specific ones in mind, because I don't really get into them I guess. It's just stuff friends show me or stuff that gets recommended to me on facebook sometimes. I youtube stuff from across the album and it just feels like the same songs over and over for each act. It's like they are conforming to a format or something. Sorry, I know thats a cop out and I'm probably just getting old, but I don't really feel it that often.

Like I said, I'd love to be pointed toward a great punk album recorded in the last 3 years, because I'm positive they exist.

EDIt: a bad example is maybe No Age, whose stuff I like okay in a vacuum, but together feels pretty samey. I say bad example, because I kinda' like them and I don't know that everyone would agree they are punk.

I honestly don't beyond, just stuff friends show me or stuff that gets recommended to me. I youtube stuff and it just feels like the same songs over and over for each act. It's like they are conforming to a format or something. Sorry, I know thats a cop out.
Like I said, I'd love to be pointed toward a great punk album recorded in the last 3 years, because I'm positive they exist.

Do you listen to Dead to Me?

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Do you listen to Dead to Me?

nope.
I just did some sampling. Sounds cool. They definitely have some songs that seem to veer from the straight ahead, but I don't know that they are exactly what I would reach for typically when I'm in the mood for punk. That said, that's judging from like 30 seconds of 6 or 7 songs.
KuGsj.gif

Like I say, I tend to favor Mission of Burma, Fugazi, Clash, Gang of Four, a leetle bit of refused and the ilk over bands like NOFX and stuff with the driving snare drum and power chords. This isn't to say I hate that stuff, just don't find myself reaching for it anymore.

Bomb The Music Industry!'s "Vacation" was probably the only "punk" album I enjoyed last year.

Didn't care for Fucked Up's album and I haven't heard the latest Dead To Me.

Really looking forward to A Wilhelm Scream's eventual 2012 release as well as The Lawrence Arms'.

nope.
I just did some sampling. Sounds cool. They definitely have some songs that seem to veer from the straight ahead, but I don't know that they are exactly what I would reach for typically when I'm in the mood for punk. That said, that's judging from like 30 seconds of 6 or 7 songs.
KuGsj.gif

Listen to any song off of Cuban Ballerina... it's the most straight forward punk album I guess. Their latest (Moscow Penny Ante) is back to that too. Little Brother is an amazing EP and African Elephants is pretty fucking sweet too, but the songs with Nathan (only album he sings on, he left after it) are a little different I guess.

If this song or this song doesn't get your dick hard, then Dead to Me might not be your type. Still, there's plenty of great shit out there. What kind of punk do you listen to?

Bomb The Music Industry!'s "Vacation" was probably the only "punk" album I enjoyed last year.

New Dead to Me is pretty awesome. I liked Fucked Up's new album (I think I heard the whole thing.. all six hours of it) but I haven't really listened to a lot of their stuff (I've had Hidden World since it came out and finally gave it a proper listening to recently... that was pretty fucking cool)

But yeah, Vacation is really damn good. BTMI is one of those bands that are changing with every album, but you don't wanna complain about it on the internet because the change is pretty sweet. I do wish they'd tour with just their older songs but whatever.

Against Me is not one of those bands, lol. I still love them to death and they still play an amazing set

Staccat0

Fail out bailed

Really looking forward to A Wilhelm Scream's eventual 2012 release as well as The Lawrence Arms'.
This is promising from the bits I've checked out!
Fucked Up is another one a friend of mine is always pushing that never really clicks for me.

Listen to any song off of Cuban Ballerina... it's the most straight forward punk album I guess. Their latest (Moscow Penny Ante) is back to that too. Little Brother is an amazing EP and African Elephants is pretty fucking sweet too, but the songs with Nathan (only album he sings on, he left after it) are a little different I guess.
Yeah, I was saying I don't really gravitate toward the straight forward punk anymore.

I'm not really posting this for any reason. I was just listening to it while on GAF and it made me think that it was pretty much GAF's theme song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndUVdzi-HqY

The lyrics are basicaly "TL;DR, ask your doctor, feed it pizza"

On the topic of Bomb The Music Industry, the first half and some of the later bits of Scrambles is the absolutely perfect soundtrack to summarize the down and out fresh graduate.

1. Cold Chillin' Cold Chillin'
2. Stuff That I Like
3. It Shits!!!
4. Fresh Attitude, Young Body
5. Wednesday Night Drinkball
6. 25!
11. Can I Pay My Rent In Fun?
12. Saddr Weirdr
13. Sort Of Like Being Pumped

Awesome.

This is promising from the bits I've checked out!
Fucked Up is another one a friend of mine is always pushing that never really clicks for me.

Yeah, I was saying I don't really gravitate toward the straight forward punk anymore.

I'm not really posting this for any reason. I was just listening to it while on GAF and it made me think that it was pretty much GAF's theme song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndUVdzi-HqY

The lyrics are basicaly "TL;DR, ask your doctor, feed it pizza"

I gotcha. If you're digging BTMI then I'll post some suggestions of bands you might enjoy. Maybe try the Sidekicks? This song has a niice build up

Also good

Tell me if I'm way off. I'll look for another band and if that doesn't click, I will STFU haha. I just like sharing music

On the topic of Bomb The Music Industry, the first half and some of the later bits of Scrambles is the absolutely perfect soundtrack to summarize the down and out fresh graduate.

1. Cold Chillin' Cold Chillin'
2. Stuff That I Like
3. It Shits!!!
4. Fresh Attitude, Young Body
5. Wednesday Night Drinkball
6. 25!
11. Can I Pay My Rent In Fun?
12. Saddr Weirdr
13. Sort Of Like Being Pumped

Awesome.

It Shits is soooo good. Do you have the demos for this album? It's like Scrambles recorded by early BTMI when it was just Jeff doing the recordings

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I gotcha. If you're digging BTMI then I'll post some suggestions of bands you might enjoy. Maybe try the Sidekicks? This song has a niice build up

Also good

Tell me if I'm way off. I'll look for another band and if that doesn't click, I will STFU haha. I just like sharing music

This stuff actually sounds directly up my alley. Thanks!

Any opinions on Zoo Kid/ King Krule?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9wLrAtcd6Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpYLMc9szsI&feature=related

I kinda like him. i think he's pretty "punk" but he's also weirdly really mellow. Like if a drunk joe strummer did an RnB album or something.
Haven't gotten around to buying an album yet...

Jas

I'm almost embarrassed to say I like this band, because their fans are really fucking annoying. Not very punk of me, but I can't help it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5fz7SfEb1s&feature=related

Nothing wrong with old Misfits :)
I actually like a few songs with Graves, I saw them when they were touring for American Psycho and they were pretty good live.

GWAR opened for them, it was my first time seeing them...I should of wore different clothes, haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom