• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Punk Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mareg

I'd like to give a big shout out to my recent discovery.

Mute - www.facebook.com/mutepunk

That band is amazingly refreshing to my punk rock ears.
They are pretty unique too. First and foremost, the actual lead singer is also the drummer !
Also, their main guitarist is some freak who comes from a metal background. He can string together some of the most insane chords.
It is hard to discribe their tunes. They are both complex and melodic at the same time.
Also, the band is catching up fast in the punk rock scene. They are intensively touring of late. Better get their stuff while they are relatively unknown :p

Nopren

Huh, are MUTE getting big? Have had their cd The Raven, rolling round my coffers for a couple of years. They didn't really struck a chord with me. Mostly because of I, at the time, was busy listening to A Wilhelm Scream, which they are heavily reminiscent of.
I'll try to give them a few more spins I guess.

(And yes, this was partly a stealth brag, elitism ahoy;)

oh, GAF has a punk thread? cool. i just bought tickets today to go see Leatherface which i'm really psyched about, fucking love their newest album to bits. so good.

i haven't really been following punk/hc these past few years though.. so i'm wondering if anyone could recommend similar newer bands to Leatherface and Hot Water Music etc? punk that has some melancholy to it. not too wussified but still, there's gotta be an element of sadness in there or else i will most likely not like it.

i'm just super picky when it comes to punk, i dislike something like 99% of the bands i check out. i don't know why that is, lol.

oh and to contribute to the thread, this band is great too (i wonder if they still exist):

I Excuse - Respective Battlefield
I Excuse - Sex And Demonstration
I Excuse - What We Want Is Free

Check out the Acursed links I posted. Their albums might be up your alley, though they tend to go a bit overboard with the melody sometimes.

You might also like :
Martyrdöd
Orchid
Alpinist
Funeral Diner
Arsen AKA König Der Monster
Agrimonia
Fall of Efrafa

Sonki.

Banned
Daw, I haven't listened to any of those yet. I've been out of touch lately.

I've gotta listen to a couple. But I'm thinking you'd like Fall of Efrafa. The first album or was it EP? had like 6 tracks that were pretty great. coined 'epic crust' for awhile. Second one was 3 tracks of sludgey goodness into some melodic d-beat. catchy as fuck. haven't listened to it in awhile.

ThedasSin

I Excuse is a tight band. What We Want Is Free is actually and Articles of Faith cover. They were a sick band and I think you would like them too.

I've heard of none of these bands. You've just out-punked me. D:

I never knew there was an Articles of Faith cover band... Weird and neat at the same time.

Subprime

Check out the Acursed links I posted. Their albums might be up your alley, though they tend to go a bit overboard with the melody sometimes.

You might also like :
Martyrdöd
Orchid
Alpinist
Funeral Diner
Arsen AKA König Der Monster
Agrimonia
Fall of Efrafa

Fall of efrafa is great. have you heard light bearer? its the singers post metal / atmospheric sludge metal project. really good.

also essential:

metz.bandcamp.com (noise rock / post hardcore)
monumentofswords.bandcamp.com (sludge / post metal influenced by screamo)
animalfaces.bandcamp.com (post hardcore)
polina.bandcamp.com ( sludgey screamo)
veneers.bandcamp.com (weird punk)

The best I can offer are His Hero Is Gone, From Ashes Rise, and Tragedy, if you haven't heard them already. You might also want to try some of the 80's DC emo. It's still very punkish, but with a tinge of sadness to it.

If youre into crust punk check out neurosis. sludge metal band that started out as a crust punk outfit

edit: fuck, I hadn't really listened to his hero is gone before. The name always sounded like a modern metalcore band so I had avoided it. this is so good.

RawPower

Banned
I checked out Fall of Efrafa. It's pretty good shit, and it brings Ekkaia (Spain) to mind. I can appreciate almost any kind of hardcore, but I usually lean towards rougher, dirtier, and uglier kinds of crust, or more melodic.

Subprime

I checked out Fall of Efrafa. It's pretty good shit, and it brings Ekkaia (Spain) to mind. I can appreciate almost any kind of hardcore, but I usually lean towards rougher, dirtier, and uglier kinds of crust, or more melodic.

Fan of late black flag? The b side to my war is key.

Can I post about hardcore punk in this thread? I love hardcore punk.

EDIT: I should read the thread.

Was anyone at the American Nightmare reunions in December? Shit was dope.

How about some X

x%2Blos%2Bangeles%2Blogo.jpg

Los Angeles

0008dk0h

The Once Over Twice

my favorite

RawPower

Banned
I liked X's first album. I didn't care for what they did after that. The Faith, SOA, and SSD are good bands too, but not special imo.

ThedasSin

Thats too bad, I love those bands! Yeah, X's first album was great... And on that note, John Doe was awesome in Great Balls of Fire!

Heck yeah! I'm always in the mood for some good old fashioned Hardcore. And some good American Hardcore too.. Negative Approach!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUiBmkOUGkE.
Great band.

And since we're talking about hardcore I have to mention the Swedish masters
Shitlickers
Anti Cimex
Totalitär
Bombanfall

Awesome band. Have you listened to Gibbed? Supposedly they're made up of members from CFDL, S.O.B and Unholy Grave.

RawPower

Banned
Great band.

And since we're talking about hardcore I have to mention the Swedish masters
Shitlickers
Anti Cimex
Totalitär
Bombanfall

Awesome band. Have you listened to Gibbed? Supposedly they're made up of members from CFDL, S.O.B and Unholy Grave.

I just started listening to these links, but Shitlickers has me banging uncontrollably. I fear my brains will spill out of my head.

Skitsystem and Disfear are amazing Swedish bands, by the way.

I just started listening to these links, but Shitlickers has me banging uncontrollably. I fear my brains will spill out of my head.

Skitsystem and Disfear are amazing Swedish bands, by the way.

I'm a big fan of Skitsystem, I love pretty much everything they've done.
90's Disfear is great, their later stuff isn't as good IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom