• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Rental 1886 is bad.

Kart94

Banned
It is a game too concerned with being a movie, and it isn't even a good movie at all. Even Michael Bay would look at the script and would throw it in the trash. It has the most anti-climax ending and it sets up a sequel that is probably never going to happen. As for the gameplay, what little it is...it is just your tired old third person action adventure shooter where instead of shooting werewolfs and other super natural creatures which would actually be interesting, you fight rebels. *the only wolf battles are ones where wolfs attack you and then run back for no reason and two simon says boss battles* Good thing all the Uncharted games are playable for PS4, those games at least have something resemble a satisfactory ending and Uncharted is 60 FPS, which means that the comments of 30 being "more Cinematic" was just a load of hogwash.

I suppose the game looks pretty.

edit: Well shit, i got Uncharted 4 mixed up with the Nathan Drake Collection in terms of 60 FPS. Still, the Nathan Drake Collection proves you can have your 60 FPS quality without sacrificing the Cinematic Experience.

oo7

your-ideas-are-intriguing-to-me-and-i-wish-to-subscribe-to-your-newsletter-your-ideas-are-intriguing.jpg

Please, tell me more.

edit- I guess since OP is actually updating his post with actual opinions I should clarify that this was made when he basically said "game sucks". I should add, I beat the game, enjoyed it. Wished they would have tacked on a multiplayer aspect. Could have easily been their answer to Gears of War over the shoulder close quarters gameplay.

Zakalwe

Banned
Beautiful to look at, a chore to play.

The biggest let down was the fact they designed it to be so cinematic, yet the cinema itself is incredibly dull.

Brofield

It's subjectively bad, but I still enjoyed my time with it. $20 for an 8 hour story, plus it's pretty looking. I wouldn't mind a sequel if the devs, you know, added some more gameplay to it. They put all that effort into the engine, might as well keep reusing assets and build on other aspects because I do feel there is strong world building potential there

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's a long interactive cut-scene. Bought it for $9, traded it for $5.99 after playing it. Still felt shrotchanged.

At least it looks really good.

faridmon

It looks really good though, which I thought was pretty neat, but yeah the gameplay was lacking even for the 1 hour gameplay I have had with this game

Please, tell me more.

This has got to be one of the worst posts I have seen in a long time.

Just pure shitpostig, adding no further discussion to the topic at hand while acting smarmy (its not even funny)

oo7

Just pure shitpostig, adding no further discussion to the topic at hand while acting smarmy (its not even funny)

You serious? Guy made a post shitting on a game with no real insight, "The Rental 1886" so edgy. This game has been shit on long long ago. No need for a new thread. But yeah, keep on fighting the good fight about how that's the worst post you've seen in a while...

It looks really good though, which I thought was pretty neat, but yeah the gameplay was lacking even for the 1 hour gameplay I have had with this game

this topic was discussed like a million times.

WITHE1982

I personally enjoyed it (paid around £12 for it) . It's visually stunning but admittedly a bit of a popcorn game.

I still own it and play it from time to time to show off to friends what the PS4 can do.

I'd be happy with a sequel TBH.

Atolm

I liked it more than Uncharted 4

/runs away beyond Neptune's orbit

No, really. I dislike those "filmic" games and I'm the type of gamer that thinks gameplay is king, but The Order was very short and I found it amazing visually. Uncharted on the other hand, dragged ad eternum.

The Order wasn't worth 60$, not even 10, but for 3 as a rental it was cool.

Nev

Banned
One of the worst "games" I've ever played. Absolutely embarrassing. Trying to be Naughty Dog and missing the point entirely. Horrible. I can't even imagine the thoughts of people who paid full price for this.

Shame too because their GoW actual videogames were solid and I sort of expected the studio to become a big name with their transition to consoles. They killed themselves instead.

DrKelpo

Banned
actually really liked the game, especially on my second playthrough.
I get the criticism, but I honestly think it got way more hate than it deserved.
Really good gunplay.

I would love so see an improved sequel.

It really is not a good game. It's very pretty (aside from the letterbox and frame rate), it has interesting lore and backstory, and some of the set pieces were neat. Gameplay though? It's an extremely boring fish in a barrel shooter that doesn't even have enough of the actual fish in a barrel shooting. The stuff with werewolves was intriguing but then you only fight like 3 of them the entire game?

It's literally the Ryse of PS4.

Harmen

I liked it for a cheap price and would love a sequel that handles the criticism, because somewhere there is something great in this.

I liked the cast, the tech was great, they nailed the atmosphere and just using the guns and their impact felt great. On the negative side, the game was too barebones, had too many QTE moments, and the story was cut short.

Also,

It is a game too concerned with being a movie, and it isn't even a good movie at all. Even Michael Bay would look at the script and would throw it in the trash. It has the most anti-climax ending and it sets up a sequel that is probably never going to happen. As for the gameplay, what little it is...it is just your tired old third person action adventure shooter where instead of shooting werewolfs and other super natural creatures which would actually be interesting, you fight rebels.

Have you seen any Transformers film after the first one? Because there is nothing that mr. Bay will throw away. If anything, he will combine a dozen of terrible scripts and staple them together whilst putting robots in them.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I liked it fine to play through once. Bought it super cheap in some relatively yearly deal and ended up selling it off for more than I paid (even after Amazon fees) which helped as well. I'd be up for a sequel for sure. Imagine how good it could look on PS4 Pro given the original's graphics.

Enjoyed the story and characters well enough, cheesy as they are. I know I just have lower standards in that stuff than a lot of the vocal minority on GAF though as I tend to love game stories, shows, movies etc. that get shat on here as I'm more just into mindless entertainment and escapism these days and less into the art of things as I'm too mentally fatigued from work to want to have to invest much energy into hobbies.

I'm a sucker for great art direction and this game has some of the best in years. I treasure my copy of the art book which is a masterpiece in and of itself.
tumblr_nlbr6vNaWN1td3a71o1_1280.jpg

BigEmil

Worst 'game' i have played in recent years. No hyperbole. Well, maybe better than some more standard walking simulators like Everybody Gone to the Rapture, how i regret buying that

jobrro

I didn't pay anywhere near full price but really enjoyed it.

It felt like it ended in the second act. If it had a third act I would recommend it to everyone.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm a sucker for great art direction and this game has some of the best in years. I treasure my copy of the art book which is a masterpiece in and of itself.
tumblr_nlbr6vNaWN1td3a71o1_1280.jpg

Honestly, the art direction had so much potential but it all just looked incredibly bland to me.

Any examples in the art book though? Perhaps it looks better in concept or promo materials.

yurinka

I think this game doesn't deserve the hate it receives. At all, fuck the haters.

I had fun with this game. And its visuals are simply amazing, better than 99.9% of the other games. Facial animations, animation, voice acting, localization, art direction, OST, sound, world design, gunplay, gun weight, weapon design and some things more were simply awesome too.

I also want a sequel too. A bit longer, with less QTE, more shooting sections, better level design, more weapons and freedom to use them anywhere once unlocked, maybe online co-op and more enemy types (especially bosses, and to fight them in a non-QTE traditional way).

I enjoyed it quite a bit surprisingly. Thought it would be worse by the early footage. The world is nice and it's the most gorgeous game I've ever played still. Weapons are fun to use as well. Everything else is pretty meh, or bad.

PeterGAF

Banned
You don't really encourage good discussion when you call the game "the rental 1886" in the thread title. It's kind of childish.

I bought it just to play on my 3m home cinema screen
(blatant brag)
. Should look awesome. Just need to find a bit of free time.

Top Bottom