• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Rental 1886 is bad.

I got it for about 17 bucks, and I loved every minute of it. A shame we won't see more of the universe/game in the future (most likely). While not a concise game on its own, not everything needs to be a 20+ hour undertaking.

Elandyll

Banned
Has huge flaws, but I really enjoyed it (having paid only $10 for it might have helped).
The graphics, atsmosphere, world, solid cover based tps feel and particularly music score are amazing.

Imo there's something there they could potentially have built on, but it sort of boggles the mind how the glaring problems made it through to release, between the over reliance on QTEs, the ultra linearity of it with extremely shallow mechanics, and its very short length compounded by its very disappointing (and likely rushed) ending.

It's clear the game director had a vision (not sure how close the final product is to it), but imo he should have listened a little more to feedback from the moment the first gameplay videos started to be released.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Liked the setting and the characters. Digged the game in general as well.

Still not sure how in the world Sony and RaD thought this would sell well.

Gestault

OP Should have been formatted like this.

The game design choices are a big part of my frustration. I'm the last person to say a game is bad just because of length, because some of my favorite games at this point are tiny in terms of hours. The presentation was polished, that's no secret, but what you're doing, why you're doing it, and how it's paced out is troubled all around. The balance of interaction to player control/freedom could have worked if it was at least entertaining. The story was only able to progress with the framework they built because of obvious contrivances, and the characters weren't likeable enough for me to suspend that disbelief.

Even being a shorter game, the time I put into it was more a source of annoyance than enjoyment, and it's not like I have an excess of free time.

daveo42

Banned
It was a very good looking game and had a relatively interesting premise, but it fell short pretty much everywhere else. Characters, story, combat all felt undercooked in some or all aspects. The gunplay was fine, but the werewolf fights being exactly the same QTE-style bits were disappointing. I didn't care enough about any of the characters or their plights, even in death. The story felt like it might be going somewhere and then it abruptly ends with no real climax or conclusion.

I'd love a sequel for sure, but the first left a real sour taste in my mouth and will more than likely wait on impressions and reviews before putting down any money.

I have a hard time believing any outright hate for this game, I really can't see it as anything other than people being edgy for effect. The gameplay is nothing exciting, but it's consistent with any number of other cover shooters we've had over the years. The story is lame, but anybody who seriously held that up as a make or break point would have run screaming from this hobby long ago. It's short (6-7 hours) and has little replay value, but it also costs $10-15 these days and is longer than Gone Home or Firewatch or several other much shorter games in the same price bracket. The visuals are still as good as anything out there. The characters, world and weapon designs are fantastic.

In other words, it's a game which is flawed in some areas, a stand out in others, and strictly average at some areas in between. I can see being disappointed if you paid full price at launch, but these days It is in no way deserving of the colourful invective some people on the internet throw at it.

tensuke

I enjoyed it for the brief story it had, although I think it could have done a bit better explaining who the characters are and their relation with everyone else. Also, agree the ending just kind of happened and was an obvious sequel hook. I wish it was a more complete story because it was such a cool world, the characters were interesting, and I felt it could have been so much more. Oh, and the gameplay was meh cover shooter, plus a dumb stealth bit. Feels like they could have done something more with that too.

Definitely a rental, or <$10 game, but overall I liked it and wanted more from it. Plus, it looked freaking gorgeous.

I thought it was great. Loved the setting and the concept behind it. Gunplay was good when it was there and the visuals are still IMO the best there is atm. Yeah it was short and not enough gameplay but it definitely had potential to make a second with better premise. Not worth 60 though, I got it early and plat'd it in a day and traded it in on release day for 50 so have to factor that in.

64bitbros

I really liked it. It wasn't perfect, but it is not as bad most people say. Unless you need shooty bits every time/all the time and think cut scenes are sleep inducing. I like a bit of story in my games with different pacing. If a sequel would have a bit more combat and a bit less walking it would be pretty great. Interesting setting, interesting story, drop dead gorgeous graphics, and good gameplay. Too bad it will never happen though.

panda-zebra

It is a game too concerned with being a movie, and it isn't even a good movie at all. Even Michael Bay would look at the script and would throw it in the trash. It has the most anti-climax ending and it sets up a sequel that is probably never going to happen. As for the gameplay, what little it is...it is just your tired old third person action adventure shooter where instead of shooting werewolfs and other super natural creatures which would actually be interesting, you fight rebels. Good thing all the Uncharted games are playable for PS4, those games at least have something resemble a satisfactory ending and Uncharted is 60 FPS, which means that the comments of 30 being "more Cinematic" is just a load of hogwash.

I suppose the game looks pretty.

Edgemaster.gif

oti

Banned
One of the only games I stopped playing after 30 minutes and never looked back. Such a bummer of a game.

Bought it when it came out and have no regrets. Fantastic story with some amazing lore to build off of. It's a damn shame we'll never get a sequel. It's ridiculous the amount of hate this game gets

KORNdoggy

stunning looking and maybe even still the one to beat visually, even after horizon and uncharted 4. and the art was just drool worthy. i even kinda liked the game itself, but i knew what i was getting myself into. i didn't go into it expecting gears of war. i went into it expecting a telltales games with a bit of actual gameplay.

mrk8885

Banned
I thought it was okay. Not spectacular but surely not deserving of the vitriol. Then again I didn't pay full price so I guess that's a contributing factor to people's anger.

But I thought the story was interesting, the characters were cool, and it's obviously gorgeous. Game play is just ok. Solid enough mostly but nothing exciting and some janky parts.

Played it a few months ago and enjoyed myself

Visuals are easily the best part. Otherwise it's a boring QTE filled cover shooter. Laughing at anyone who paid $60, I got my copy for less than $10

Its an interesting universe and concept but thats it, interesting. Gameplay wise, its a chore and a bore. If they made it Uncharted but with more focus on the supernatural aspects, this would've been great but instead we got a very pretty looking game that lacks any fun to what little gameplay there is and a story that falls flat with characters I'll only remember for their mustaches.

T.O.P

Banned
I still remember that guy that tried to show how "good" the game's AI was

And also remember people saying, before releas, how it took 'em like 12 hours to beat the game on normal, wich unless you dropped the controller and didn't move for half of that time, was pretty much bullshit

The game took too long to develop. Playing it you could tell they had a vision and stuck with it without making any compromises. There is a bunch of potential for a really good game with great lore. I hope Sony takes another stab at the world and the developers learn from their mistakes the second time around. Game was decent. Nothing special or memorable but there is a good foundation to build on imo. I don't get all the hate this game gets. There are tons of shittier games available. Surely every don't just play great games.

Not even worth a rental.

Should have been available free on plus a long time ago. Maybe it was, not sure.

I call into question a person's humanity when they claim to like this game.

Then again, a good amount of people spent $60 on it. Has to be justified.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'm all for story driven games, but everything about it was so damn boring. I couldn't care about any of the characters or what was going on, and the shooting was average at best. Easily one of my least favorite games in years.

I know they could've made an 8/10 sequel to a 6/10 game, but we'll never get it now. The response was incredibly toxic.

Shame really. There was heaps of potential in the world that was established.

Harlock

For 10 bucks was excellent. For be worth full price need to be a open world like Horizon, where you can use the good weapon variation.

A horde mode also make a lot of sense and would be very fun.

marrec

Banned
The world was kinda cool, but the game was awfully boring to actually play. Luckily it was short enough that I could slog through it relatively quickly... in the end it wasn't really worth the time investment however.

No sequel needed, move on.

Now that I'm thinking back on it critically, the world itself wasn't even fleshed out enough to justify the game set inside it. The characters were all bland and the art direction was uninspired. Eugh, what a awful game.

Eggbok

Not even worth a rental.

Should have been available free on plus a long time ago. Maybe it was, not sure.

Everyone won't like the same things, nothing wrong with that. It's not a perfect game but it's not the absolute worst thing possible. I didn't pay full price for The Order and I still enjoyed it. It's like a delicious pie that was sold after it was cooked for 5 minutes.

I have one of those controversial gaming opinions though. I had more fun playing The Order than I did with Witcher 3 lol. And to top if off they added a photomode, and for me personally I LOVE those.

pantsmith

Deeply flawed, but the world-building and design direction were ridiculously cool.

I freaking love the look and feel of all the weapons too, just needed more interesting enemies to use them on. If theres ever a sequel they need to lean in, hard, on the supernatural enemies.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Not even worth a rental.

I got 4 copies free gave some away here on gaf and a few to my stores staff also got the collectors edition still enjoyed the game. It's one of my 4 favorite ps4 exclusives. Bloodborne and horizon are at the top while the order and sfv are games that caught shit but I still personally love. Would love to see a sequel that addresses the issues of the first game.

Picked it up for like $20 and actually just played through it about a month ago, right before Zelda dropped.

I really, really enjoyed it. Would love to see a sequel.

marrec

Banned
Damnnnnn........

To be pulled down to No Man's Sky level for value? Wow....

For me it's easily the worst video game purchase I've made in the last 10 years and went a long way toward teaching me to stop pre-ordering games.

Legit getting a bit heated even thinking about how bad they fleeced me.

WorldHero

I actually had a great experience with this game.

Yes it was linear and short, but it was a new IP, new engine, and visually unrivaled.

I thought it was a magnificent 1st entry and would love to see a sequel.

OldMan

Banned
It is a game too concerned with being a movie, and it isn't even a good movie at all. Even Michael Bay would look at the script and would throw it in the trash. It has the most anti-climax ending and it sets up a sequel that is probably never going to happen. As for the gameplay, what little it is...it is just your tired old third person action adventure shooter where instead of shooting werewolfs and other super natural creatures which would actually be interesting, you fight rebels. *the only wolf battles are ones where wolfs attack you and then run back for no reason and two simon says boss battles* Good thing all the Uncharted games are playable for PS4, those games at least have something resemble a satisfactory ending and Uncharted is 60 FPS, which means that the comments of 30 being "more Cinematic" was just a load of hogwash.

I suppose the game looks pretty.
giphy.gif

I was surprised at how "okay" it was given the incredibly harsh criticism. Then again I only paid around $10 for it. The story was underwhelming, an absolute detriment considering how much story to gameplay there is in this game, but the gunplay was actually good IMO. It was really weighty, had a lot of impact, and reminded me of older great duck and cover games.

Top Bottom