• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Rental 1886 is bad.

antitrop

I wouldn't hate it so much if it at least told a complete story, but it didn't. It's just a huge fucking waste of time.

I picked it up on ultra-sale recently for basically a few bucks and couldn't make it past like two hours in and that was just for the spectacle of its graphics.

This "game" just sucks as far as I'm concerned. The gameplay would've been serviceable fun for a bit I suppose but goddamn does it absolutely CRAM it's shitty 7-11-Discount-DVD-Rack story down your throat. Let me actually play the damn game, that'd be a nice start if there's ever a sequel for some weird reason. Absolutely couldn't get behind this 'movie aspirations first, gameplay later somewhere' ideal that seemed to drive the game.

I know it's been said before but yeah, for a game so fixated on being a movie, it sure made Michael Bay look like Martin Scorsese.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Probably the worst game I've played on PS4. I would have been better off just watching a Let's Play because the visuals were the only redeeming part of it.

Par Score

Normally when people say "I'm glad this failed" it just seems mean, but this game is one instance where I am incredibly grateful it failed both critically and commercially for perfectly reasonable (if selfish) reasons.

The Order 1886 represents everything I don't want to happen to games. It is the furthest the medium has ever been pushed into the moviefication of gaming, the ultimate expression of style over substance, the harshest squeezing of gameplay to allow for more cinematic qualities. I feel so fortunate that far from pushing gaming further down this path, it's dismal failure likely means that The Order 1886 gave the industry a nudge back in the other direction.

Oh, and it had a completely garbage story not worthy of the back of a napkin.

May The Order 1886 forever be remembered and vilified, and let it never get a sequel, amen.

faridmon

You know whats especially sad?

Those PSP God of War games were fucking incredible. I really had a high expectation for this.

Yeah, because nobody has ever improved the second time around after coming up short on the first try. If that is the way the industry operated then we would not have developers like Guerilla Games.

Thr killzone games, especially in the context of when they were released, were better and more successful games than The Order. This industry is littered with overly hyped games that end up being critical and commercial flops and are here one day and forgotten the next, yet this is the one that for some reason deserves a sequel?

I still feel like they could knock it out of the park with a longer and more fleshed-out game that features more gameplay. The potential is most certainly there to improve.
Your argument boils down to: The Order 1886 would be a great game if Ready at Dawn had bothered to make a great game. It takes more than saying "Make a great game" to actually make it so.

The Order 1886 is easily the most visually impressive walking simulator I've seen yet.

Why Sony shoveled such a huge budget into this project is a tremendous mystery.

DrD

There are no good arguments for a sequel to The Order. Peopple praise the graphics but that is technology. Any other game that used the same tech would look as good. The story in Tthe Order was average at best with no satisfying conclusion. A story reliant game with a poorly executed story is a detriment to a sequel. The many people who did not play the first game won't slog through it to setup their sequel play. Finally, the gameplay of the first game is considered by most to be missing in action. Any new game game would have to be a total overhaul. That sounds an awful lot like just starting with a new franchise.
I think Kevin VanOrd, who reviewed the game for Gamespot, said it best. Even if the game was twice as long he still would've given the game the same score, a 5/10. Length still wouldn't make up for the plethora of awful design choices in the game.

In order for me to be interested in a sequel, I'd need a complete revamp of the gameplay and a reboot of the story, to the point it would barely even be recognizable as a sequel. The only thing that would be the same is the name, which is probably tainted. They might as well just make it a new IP.

Canklestank

Neo Member
I got it for free (through the ARG) so that probably helped, but I actually enjoyed this game quite a bit given it's reputation. It's not my favorite game ever, and the plot was terrible given the promising setting, but I had fun with it.

My favorite part is actually the gameplay. I thought the gunplay felt great and the weapons were fun to mess around with. Obviously the boss battles were disappointing, but the moment to moment shootouts were fun. I actually enjoyed it more than the first two Gears games ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (I haven't played the others).

I'd be interested in a sequel if they improved on all the glaring flaws. More gameplay to story ratio, better story, more werewolf enemies that are fun to fight, etc. and it would be hard for me to resist. The premise is just so promising. It's a shame they ruined any possibility of a sequel, and I'm sure they were saving a lot of ideas for the sequels they were sure they would be making.

I'm glad I played it. It's a visual tour de force, and it was a really fun environment to explore. It's unfortunate that the game is very shallow and weak.

Wozman23

I really liked it. One of my favorite PS4 exclusives to be honest.

Second only to Horizon for me. (Yes, that's beating Uncharted 4.) Whereas Horizon feels like a traditional game, I really applaud The Order for the innovative things it did with its pacing and its approach to the 'cinematic' game. Prior to it I was pretty indifferent on games described as cinematic, but now I'd actually enjoy more that follow The Order's game to movie ratio.

I loved it at launch. Back then due to the harsh reviews there was so much negativity. Theses threads were mostly people trashing the game.

Now, at least there's more optimism. It gives me a glimmer more hope that maybe we will get a sequel someday. I'll be there on day 1 again.

There are no good arguments for a sequel to The Order. People praise the graphics but that is technology. Any other game that used the same tech would look as good. The story in Tthe Order was average at best with no satisfying conclusion. A story reliant game with a poorly executed story is a detriment to a sequel. The many people who did not play the first game won't slog through it to setup their sequel play. Finally, the gameplay of the first game is considered by most to be missing in action. Any new game game would have to be a total overhaul. That sounds an awful lot like just starting with a new franchise.
That's all fair. It's the potential really that intrigues me and a few others, especially the few gameplay and presentation choices we liked.

ironcreed

Banned
Thr killzone games, especially in the context of when they were released, were better and more successful games than The Order. This industry is littered with overly hyped games that end up being critical and commercial flops and are here one day and forgotten the next, yet this is the one that for some reason deserves a sequel?

And I love Killzone, but the first game was hardly a success. Yet the leap they made from the first game to the second was unbelievable and would have never happened had Sony just scrapped it. Which is my point.

All I am saying is that I see the potential for Ready at Dawn to add talent and make a better product on the foundation of The Order and I would personally give them that shot. That's all.

ironcreed

Banned
Your argument boils down to: The Order 1886 would be a great game if Ready at Dawn had bothered to make a great game. It takes more than saying "Make a great game" to actually make it so.

No, my argument is that the foundation is in place for them to make a better game that is longer and features more gameplay and I would love to see them get the chance.

MaDKaT

Certainly not without its faults but I actually enjoyed the gameplay that was there. I do hope that someday there will be a sequel.

Normally when people say "I'm glad this failed" it just seems mean, but this game is one instance where I am incredibly grateful it failed both critically and commercially for perfectly reasonable (if selfish) reasons.

The Order 1886 represents everything I don't want to happen to games. It is the furthest the medium has ever been pushed into the moviefication of gaming, the ultimate expression of style over substance, the harshest squeezing of gameplay to allow for more cinematic qualities. I feel so fortunate that far from pushing gaming further down this path, it's dismal failure likely means that The Order 1886 gave the industry a nudge back in the other direction.

Oh, and it had a completely garbage story not worthy of the back of a napkin.

May The Order 1886 forever be remembered and vilified, and let it never get a sequel, amen.

I can completely get aboard this hate train.

giphy.gif

marrec

Banned
No, my argument is that the foundation is in place for them to make a better game that is longer and features more gameplay and I would love to see them get the chance.

I still wouldn't want to play that game, tbh. It's not bad because the game is short, it's bad because everything but the technical graphics is bad.

Second only to Horizon for me. (Yes, that's beating Uncharted 4.) Whereas Horizon feels like a traditional game, I really applaud The Order for the innovative things it did with its pacing and its approach to the 'cinematic' game. Prior to it I was pretty indifferent on games described as cinematic, but now I'd actually enjoy more that follow The Order's game to movie ratio.

I loved it at launch. Back then due to the harsh reviews there was so much negativity. Theses threads were mostly people trashing the game.

Now, at least there's more optimism. It gives me a glimmer more hope that maybe we will get a sequel someday. I'll be there on day 1 again.

This thread seems pretty down on it. I'd feel pretty comfortable in saying there is legitimately 0% we are ever getting a sequel. Though I'm sure there are people that are similarly optimistic that we are totally getting that sequel to Primal some day.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Took me <9hrs total to platinum, including nearly an entire second playthrough to grab many of the collectibles missed on the first run.

I enjoyed very little of that entire play, but agreed that it did look very pretty.

ironcreed

Banned
I still wouldn't want to play that game, tbh. It's not bad because the game is short, it's bad because everything but the technical graphics is bad.

Opinions vary. I enjoyed it for what it was and came away wishing that it was simply more-fleshed out and had more gameplay. It seems more like a game that should have been about a good 12-15 hours long.

Type40

One of the worst games ever made. Gameplay was shallow and lacking. Music was unmemorable. Only saving grace was it's art directions and style, which in the end felt squandered on a game that struggled to be mediocre.

It's primary encounter design is monster closets spewing endless waves of soldiers to fight. And a boss fight so lazy they had to use it twice.

Solid Raiden

Neo Member
As a bit of a cinephile, many of my favorit games have been cinematic in presentation. This list includes: Metal Gear Solid, The Last of Us, Uncharted, Resident Evil 4, God of War, Witcher 3, Final Fantasy, Silent Hill 2, etc. I also really enjoy the point and click genre and the games which have evolved from them such as Life is Strange, Heavy Rain and the Telltale games. Despite my love for all things cinematic, even I could barely find any enjoyment out of this product.
I wish Ready at Dawn the best, but this game truly deserves the reception it's received.

Rembrandt

Banned
didn't play it. probably won't, but had bad feelings with each video they released and preview that came out.

didn't help that there some insiders here that kept hyping the game up and even giving some fake info (or the info changed) about it to get people hyped

That's all fair. It's the potential really that intrigues me and a few others, especially the few gameplay and presentation choices we liked.
The bolded part is key as to why a sequel makes no sense. Very few people liked the dev choices made for the game. You can't make a successful sequel catering to the small audience that made the first game a failure.

Gamers didn't like the QTEs. They didn't like the long cut scenes. They didn't like the story. Those things were the core of the game. You take those out, you no longer have an Order game so what sense does a sequel make?

You are also forgetting that most thought the gameplay was average, so making a sequel have more of it doesn't make a good game.

There are no good arguments for a sequel to The Order. People praise the graphics but that is technology. Any other game that used the same tech would look as good. The story in Tthe Order was average at best with no satisfying conclusion. A story reliant game with a poorly executed story is a detriment to a sequel. The many people who did not play the first game won't slog through it to setup their sequel play. Finally, the gameplay of the first game is considered by most to be missing in action. Any new game game would have to be a total overhaul. That sounds an awful lot like just starting with a new franchise.

One I would say is the universe itself. This could've easily been a game where we hunted down werewolves, vampires(no those QTEs and werewolves on the floor dont count) and probably mummies, just go full on supernatural grounded with a bit realism, what they were doing 1886. Then the thing about the immortal knights and the black goo, prime stuff for fantasy lore if done right.

Keep the universe, expand on the lore and make this the new Resistance as in alternate timeline but with supernatural shit, but move on to new characters. Maybe keep it in London still, take advantage of the mysteries and fiction present there, hell make Sherlock Holmes a character or something. Maybe Ireland.

Reduce that cinematic focus and make it Uncharted style or hell even open world using the Decima engine. Hunting down werewolves in the dark in co-op similar to something to this from the reveal trailer but instead of a cinematic QTE fest, you and 3 other players in the fog, surviving onslaughts of werewolves!

What Im saying is, a sequel should be made but nothing at all like the first one.

AndyD

aka andydumi
One I would say is the universe itself. This could've easily been a game where we hunted down werewolves, vampires(no those QTEs and werewolves on the floor dont count) and probably mummies, just go full on supernatural grounded with a bit realism, what they were doing 1886. Then the thing about the immortal knights and the black goo, prime stuff for fantasy lore if done right.

Keep the universe, expand on the lore and make this the new Resistance as in alternate timeline but with supernatural shit, but move on to new characters. Maybe keep it in London still, take advantage of the mysteries and fiction present there, hell make Sherlock Holmes a character or something. Maybe Ireland.

Reduce that cinematic focus and make it Uncharted style or hell even open world using the Decima engine. Hunting down werewolves in the dark in co-op similar to something to this from the reveal trailer but instead of a cinematic QTE fest, you and 3 other players in the fog, surviving onslaughts of werewolves!

What Im saying is, a sequel should be made but nothing at all like the first one.

I agree with all this. It's a good universe and premise, but perhaps switch the gameplay formula a bit.

Shai-Tan

Banned
tldr the graphics are good

I played this recently. The graphics are fantastic and I'm a little bit sad there is no Pro patch. The combat arenas on the other hand were quite frustrating. They went on and on to the point that I would kill myself out of boredom (rushing) which led to frustration about repeating the entire encounter (probably intentional to keep the completion time longer than 4 hours), sometimes several times due to their poor checkpointing (they even have a few moronic instances of a dude hiding behind the checkpoint door instantly killing you with a shotgun). And in the end it seems unfinished consdering the plot stops on a completely uninteresting cliffhanger visually aping/implying the birth of a batman-esque hero/antihero after repeating a boss fight from earlier in the game.

my opinion, in this thread from January: Opinion: The Order 1886 deserves* a sequel

EGM1966

It's not great. That said I disagree about the Michael Bay comment: I don't think he'd bat an eye at the script based on his Transformers movies which make even less sense narratively.

ironcreed

Banned
Gamers didn't like the QTEs. They didn't like the long cut scenes. They didn't like the story. Those things were the core of the game. You take those out, you no longer have an Order game so what sense does a sequel make?

You are also forgetting that most thought the gameplay was average, so making a sequel have more of it doesn't make a good game.

I simply want them to build on the story without all of the quick time events and overly long cutscenes. Gameplay could also be improved, especially with more of it. But sure, not everyone enjoyed it or saw potential there. All I am saying is that I did and would like a sequel, even though I think that it is a long shot at best that we ever get one. It is what it is.

eXistor

Total shit-fest imo. The action set-pieces weren't good and the story was crap. Level-design was non-existent. Pretty though.

AudioEppa

As I've stated many times before, I love cinematic games. The last 20 years of video games has really benefited from certain developers pushing that film-tv like narrative. My three problems with the order are. The camera was too close to the main character, with no option to change it. The supernatural plot was boring. While the graphics were beautiful, the 1800 London era holds it back.

Come up with a better story. And choose a setting that can show many visual styles. Not just smoky-rainy-dark like 1886. And you may have something. I can't wait to see what RaD releases next. After that game about rolling jelly balls or some shit.

marrec

Banned
Total shit-fest imo. The action set-pieces weren't good and the story was crap. Level-design was non-existent. Pretty though.

It was only technically pretty, I think the art direction was completely uninspired even though it had a ton of potential.

Osukaa

I love the Order, it's a gold mine of potential and deserves a sequel tbh.

Me to I enjoyed my time with it. I payed full price and I had no regrets. I really hope they get to do a sequel I loved the world and the characters.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This game is such a treasure. It has an 88 meta critic and sold many millions of copies. Believe me. The sequel will be better when it is announced this may.

Dunlop

Picked it up when it was $5, made it maybe 20 minutes in (genetic bad guys shooting at me and falling with horrid animations) then moved on.

Knew what I was getting into, but I spend more money in a day at Tim Hortons do no big whoop

AJ_Wings

The one piece of praise that I never got about this game by its fans is the "Amazing world building!". Like... are people referring to the art direction or the setting itself generally speaking? I found it to be poorly explained, contrived and just utterly stupid.

Knights who fought & bled by each other's sides for decades if not centuries yet they are treating Galahad like a chump intern (this was done for the sake of a shitty plot twist but the point still stands). The Lycans are given no reason why exterminating them is an oh so horrible thing to do because the goddamned plot didn't bother giving us a reason to care about their destructive asses. And suddenly... there are vampires who are shipped around the world and are they working with the werewolves? their sworn enemies? Fuck's sake, actually explain shit about your world.

oo7

If you don't like the thread then don't post smamry comment. Its an LTTP thread and of course people can post anything they want regarding the game, Its not edgy to say that its not a good game, you may think so, but he doesn't. He rented and still thought it was bad. Why does that fact hurt you personally?

and yes, your post was bad.

You realize that his original post before the numerous edits was infact a shitpost right?

That's a new game, and you made my point. If you make it a sequel to The Order, you are tied to The Order. That game didn't even tell a full story. Any sequel would have to pick up right where the first game ended, and no one wants to feel like they have to play a game they already rejected in order to setup another game they might buy. Simply put, the first game is a negative that any other game would do well to distance itself from.

The 2 or 3 sections where you have to hunt 3 werewolves and then face-off with one at the end was eyerollingly boring and predictable (as you already did that a couple of times before.....just reeks of "we were running out of time" or "we just had no ideas" tbh, very cheap in its execution.

gadwn

A great game with some head scratching shitty parts. I'm sad that we will never ever get a sequel, screw you haters.

Probably not a good idea to create an action game if you're so obsessed with controlling everything the player does. It's the only game that's ever insulted me. Don't ask me why, I just felt that way at times when playing.

I liked the second half of the game though with some of the characters they introduced. Of course the ending was not satisfying and was bs cause we'll probably not see a sequel

Sure the game has flaws, sometimes questionable design decisions and a weird twist the bite its tails at the end and not even mentioning the stupidly bad clifhanger...

BUT,

the game has unique and amazing charms. First, it's oozing with personnality and everything you see feels real and deeply thought out, like it was crafted with passion. Then, the game has a unique setting and great art direction. Every room I felt like touching the woods, the curtains, stones, bricks, pavements, glasses, door knobs, carptes... Everything was rendered perfectly.

Gunplay was stripped down to a minimalistic but very functional setup with amazing guns (FX and sound design helping a lot to add punch) and they often felt urgent and visceral. Sure they were not big Uncharted like setpieces but they didn't need to be. I mean the kitchen fight is still one of my favorite room this generation.

Top Bottom