• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Rental 1886 is bad.

This game is such a treasure. It has an 88 meta critic and sold many millions of copies. Believe me. The sequel will be better when it is announced this may.
The only reason The Order has sold as much as it has is because its price dropped through the floor and the Metacritic score is 63.

nampad

It's pretty mediocre but what was disappointing was that the core mechanics were flawed too. Simole things like the cover mechanics didn't seem as seemless as other games which were much older. The shooting was satisfying, the rest wasn't.

And please don't get me started on the shitty stealth mechanics.

Deadstar

Here's what I thought.

+ The "order" characters were cool
+ The shooting was fine
+ The werewolves were awesome

- The game was too long
- The game had no color
- The game should have had more fantasy elements. Fighting the humans over and over again got boring
- There should have been more locations to visit
- The game was overly serious to the point of being boring

If they make a sequel and fix all these things I think you'd have a really fun game.

That's a new game, and you made my point. If you make it a sequel to The Order, you are tied to The Order. That game didn't even tell a full story. Any sequel would have to pick up right where the first game ended, and no one wants to feel like they have to play a game they already rejected in order to setup another game they might buy. Simply put, the first game is a negative that any other game would do well to distance itself from.

Yes, the next game would be tied to the lore and expanded upon in an imaginary sequel. It doesnt necessarily have to stick with the previous characters seeing as they're really not all that memorable, they could even move forwards in years(The Order 1993) or even change the setting ala Watch Dogs or AC style. Keep the lore and if possible expand but switch the characters and locale, moving further away from the stink of the last game. And to rebuild confidence and hype, start with the a cinematic tease with black bars then jump straight to gameplay as the black bars open disappear, hammering in, "welp, we listened."

Again, this is all hypothetical but I really do think a sequel would be neat to have. As long as RAD isnt involved, slap some bigwig game studio like SSM or Naughty Dog and there, folks might give The Order: Of Monsters and Mustaches a chance.

If there's one thing I know about sequels to crappy game, they find out the flaws and improve, KZ1 to KZ2, WD to WD2, AC1 to AC2/AC3 to AC4 and the ever memorable change up of a sequel Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2.

You realize that his original post before the numerous edits was infact a shitpost right?

How many posts in a row can you make just arguing for the sake of arguing without ever even mentioning the damn game at hand?

EDIT: Oops, banned, nevermind...

Leatherface

probably the most bashed PS4 game of all time and honestly I thought it was solid but a bit basic. I had fun with it though and beat the game so there's that. I think the theme, art direction, voice acting and graphics were on a new level though. Easily worth another go with more refined gameplay. My two cents..

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Eh, I felt the game was somewhere around average and the visuals were somewhere around amazing. This game would probably be "underappeciated with great potential for a sequel" if it wasn't a hyped-up first party game on PS4 in a pre-UC4 world.

Actually, I should scratch that. If it wasn't a first-party title that Sony was really counting on they would have never had the budget to go to the lengths they went with the visuals. The visuals and presentation seemed to be the entire point of the game, and it's understandable that games are made that way seeing as how gamers have pretty much all become insatiable graphics whores. I remember the videos before release where they actually used textures that match materials that would've been around in 1886. Like, why the fuck would you put effort into that? You think it's going to trigger some nostalgia amongst the 200+ year-olds that play the game?

5/10.

rackham

Banned
They rip the game apart on story alone, there was so much more they could have shredded it for, even.

But that's the point, the story is so bad that they don't even need to talk about anything else.

I think the biggest flaw they point out in the game is how the werewolf scenes are all the same and how there's so few. What a sham when you compare it to the reveal trailer.

Yes, the next game would be tied to the lore and expanded upon in an imaginary sequel. It doesnt necessarily have to stick with the previous characters seeing as they're really not all that memorable, they could even move forwards in years(The Order 1993) or even change the setting ala Watch Dogs or AC style. Keep the lore and if possible expand but switch the characters and locale, moving further away from the stink of the last game. And to rebuild confidence and hype, start with the a cinematic tease with black bars then jump straight to gameplay as the black bars open disappear, hammering in, "welp, we listened."

Again, this is all hypothetical but I really do think a sequel would be neat to have. As long as RAD isnt involved, slap some bigwig game studio like SSM or Naughty Dog and there, folks might give The Order: Of Monsters and Mustaches a chance.

If there's one thing I know about sequels to crappy game, they find out the flaws and improve, KZ1 to KZ2, WD to WD2, AC1 to AC2/AC3 to AC4 and the ever memorable change up of a sequel Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2.
I don't understand the hoops you are jumping through to make a game nothing like The Order a sequel to The Order. If you change all of that, it is a new game. All you do by attaching a game to The Order is to make it inherit all its negativity. You also have to spend marketing resources to ensure potential buyers they don't have to play the first game to enjoy the second.

The only reason The Order has sold as much as it has is because its price dropped through the floor and the Metacritic score is 63.
This is fake news.

UpTiMtC.png

Plum

The Order is a perfect example of a game striving to be considered in the same calibre as a great movie, but failing in every way to do so. The entire story takes itself way too seriously, and when your major twist is
Dracula is actually Jack the Ripper
even the best writing can't save you. That it has numerous plot holes ("I will not harm innocent men") and ends with the biggest film-student-wanting-to-be-Tarantino ending cliche out there (on top of being a cliffhanger for a game without a guaranteed sequel).

If your new IP that sacrifices so much in pursuit of story does not have a good story then what is there? There's the graphical engine which I do hope doesn't go to waste, though if it can't do more than "highly scripted linear stuff" and keep a stable framerate it's been overshadowed by Decima. Then there's the setting but, to be honest, a game set in the same world will have a lot to live up to after Bloodborne nailed the whole "Victorian-era werewolves and vampires" thing (and adding its own spin as well in the more Lovecraftian elements).

Nielm

Meh, I enjoyed it, although I only paid about £5 to play it.

It could have been much better. I enjoyed the music, combat, the art direction, the world and characters. The game could have done with better pacing, a more fleshed out story and a lot more gameplay, the gameplay sections aren't very long. The gameplay also needed more variety. A sequel would be great.

I enjoyed it for what it was. More open combat arenas and weapons would be welcomed in a sequel, though.

Also, no forced stealth. It was only one mission but I abhor that stuff.

Robot Pants

I really liked it. One of my favorite PS4 exclusives to be honest.

I need a sequel.

This is a high quality hot take deserving of a thread. Such new insight.

I had fun with it, I'll take a sequel with more combat.

Not worth $60 though.

Give me a sequel.

I love the Order, it's a gold mine of potential and deserves a sequel tbh.
All these

Rembrandt

Banned
Probably not a good idea to create an action game if you're so obsessed with controlling everything the player does. It's the only game that's ever insulted me. Don't ask me why, I just felt that way at times when playing.

I liked the second half of the game though with some of the characters they introduced. Of course the ending was not satisfying and was bs cause we'll probably not see a sequel

They never planned on making an action game, I think and it just got pushed as one. Most of their demos wereexploration with little cuts of gunplay.

R0nn

It's super cheap on PSN right now, but I'm still in doubt about ever playing this title. If it's really that mediocre or bad as many people are saying, it sounds like a waste of time to play it.

marrec

Banned
It's super cheap on PSN right now, but I'm still in doubt about ever playing this title. If it's really that mediocre or bad as many people are saying, it sounds like a waste of time to play it.

It's not worth any amount of time investment or monetary investment. Stay away.

horkrux

I paid 20 bucks for it and I think it was OK. It was also longer than expected (around 8h).

Betty

Banned
Unskippable cutscenes = fuck this game

Inexcusable

Didn't help that the story was tripe, the whopping 2 boss encounters were the same boss repeated and a QTE one at that, the gameplay was limited, the instant fail stealth section was terrible and it has zero replay value.

The story isn't even concluded, I'm all for teasing sequels but they wrapped up nothing from this narrative before trying to set up the next one.

Yazzees

All they had to do was make a competent steampunk GoW and instead they made a D-movie and
"WE'RE NOT SO DIFFERENT, YOU AND I"

dh4niel

Reminds me I actually have to finish it. For the hour or so I've played it hasn't really grabbed me yet. It's definitely a massive case of style over substance. No dev should ever go into making a game with "Let's make something that looks amazing!" as their #1 bullet point.

I honestly think this game was a better debut than Uncharted: Drake's Fortune in quite a few areas, definitely better than Killzone, both of those were average/mediocre games which received amazing sequels. Ready at Dawn have the production pipeline in place, a foundation to build on & know exactly where they went right & wrong with the first game, they could definitely make an amazing sequel. Unfortunately the amount of money to make a game now probably makes it too much of a gamble.

They've built a world begging to be explored, it had its fair share of faults, but I would love a sequel.

For a game that said it is willing to sacrifice a lot of other aspects to tell a story well, you would think the story would be better than it was.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
it was a nice tech demo for what games could become. It was a walking simulator and gameplay was scarce and when it did come up it was boring. People thinking tacking on multiplayer would have saved it are delusional, this game had so many problems and multiplayer would have only hurt it more because it would have been just as pathetic as the single player.

Aenima

I enjoyed it as a cinematic experience, but i found it too linear even compared to other cinamatic games. Would have been a much better game if they gave the player some options to impact the story.

When in games like David Cage games, Telltales games, Untill Dawn, etc if u fail a sequence, the games move on and that sequence has an impact in the way the rest of the game plays. In The Order, if you fail, u need to keep trying untill u do exactly what the game wanted you to do in the 1st place. This was the biggest letdown to me about the game. I like cinematic experience games but i if its too linear, thers not much else to see.

Everething about the cinematic aspect of the game was exceptional good, the visual, the acting the sound, but everething about the gameplay was mediocre, the combat was decent but everething else was poor.

I got it for 5$ and it was a good buy for that price. Would play a sequel too, but if it was also too linear, then would not give it much more than 5$ for it again.

One hot pile of 'missed potential' that was entertaining at launch. It also came at a time when PS4 was lacking in exclusives so it carried a lot of impact upon release.

My heart cries whenever I remember the pre-release hype and how it was supposed to be a blockbuster exclusive franchise like Uncharted before release and ended up being a wet fart in the wind.

I paid $5 in US flash sale a year or so back probably longer. I played it to completion and then promptly forgot all about it. Wouldn't​ have been happy if I'd paid full price.

jg4xchamp

Rented it through gamefly; game was straight trash. Mechanically dull and derivative, a poor story, and I wasn't even impressed by how it looked. The motion blur was a bit much; I hated the "filmic" look they were going for, and there wasn't one character I found engaging.

It doesn't help that on balance I don't like the whole "let's be a shitty movie" movement in a lot of triple A games.

Holy shit at the page 1 graveyard. *treads lightly*

It is a game too concerned with being a movie, and it isn't even a good movie at all. Even Michael Bay would look at the script and would throw it in the trash. It has the most anti-climax ending and it sets up a sequel that is probably never going to happen. As for the gameplay, what little it is...it is just your tired old third person action adventure shooter where instead of shooting werewolfs and other super natural creatures which would actually be interesting, you fight rebels. *the only wolf battles are ones where wolfs attack you and then run back for no reason and two simon says boss battles* Good thing all the Uncharted games are playable for PS4, those games at least have something resemble a satisfactory ending and Uncharted is 60 FPS, which means that the comments of 30 being "more Cinematic" was just a load of hogwash.

I suppose the game looks pretty.

edit: Well shit, i got Uncharted 4 mixed up with the Nathan Drake Collection in terms of 60 FPS. Still, the Nathan Drake Collection proves you can have your 60 FPS quality without sacrificing the Cinematic Experience.

I downloaded it for 10 bucks and put it down after a while - i agree it's really pedestrian. That being said, the bolded is a silly statement. If nothing else, the Order was a really cool concept for a world and has some nice characters in it. It's the gameplay that's lagging. I feel like putting hyperbolic statements in your OP don't facilitate a good discussion - again, as can be seen on page 1 :|

Indelible

I liked it enough to platinum it but I had no problem selling it. A very flawed game that could have been fully fleshed out with a sequel.

Top Bottom