• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Rental 1886 is bad.

opricnik

Banned
Great game. It has its flaws and I think it deserves another shot with a sequel.

I think it'd be a great PS Plus titles at some point, and a linear game can be really enjoyable with all the open world games we get at the moment, so I think it'd be more appreciated

Overall the game is pretty satisfying to play, the hate is pretty undeserved.

Do you actually know meaning of great?

It is far from being good let alone great.

The game spends the first 20 minutes forcing me to admire its uninteresting, hackneyed world by way of cutscenes, corridors, and forced walking. For the forced walking bits you might as well be controlling an acceptably brisk character with a dead zone in your controller it's so annoyingly bad.

RzrIg6V.png

Is she supposed to be joking? Did I not just wade through mud for like five minutes to get to this exciting cutscene? Also, the "cinematic" subtitles for ants are really appreciated. On a scale of Sleeping Dogs to acceptable, Order 1886 is at about a "is it really that hard to make them bigger? Jesus."

By the time I got to the first lycan fight, I was laughing.

The game is TERRIBLE.

I really enjoyed it. A nice simple cover shooter with a cool story in a enjoyable setting. Didn't overstay it's welcome in game length.

Wish we had a sequel coming. Thought the hate for this was totally ridiculous and it started from the trailers all the way through to release

Jimm

I really liked it. I payed full price for Advanced Warfare and Destiny and even though I spent less time in The Order (not that much less) I liked the game heaps more than those others. Each to their own.

Yukinari

Whenever i think about this game i remember that the first boss and final boss are the same encounter repeated.

I dont care if you bought the game for 60 bucks or 10 bucks, that alone speaks volumes of how little the devs gave a shit.

Okada

I really enjoyed it. A nice simple cover shooter with a cool story in a enjoyable setting. Didn't overstay it's welcome in game length.

Wish we had a sequel coming. Thought the hate for this was totally ridiculous and it started from the trailers all the way through to release

This sums up my feelings perfectly.

I had a really enjoyable time with it from start to finish. I've played way worse games that don't get nearly the same level of stick as The Order.

Sjefen

I liked it, not the most memorable story but loved the atmoshpere and gunplay. Really hoping they are ready to show off The order 1186 part 2 at this years E3

Whenever i think about this game i remember that the first boss and final boss are the same encounter repeated.

I dont care if you bought the game for 60 bucks or 10 bucks, that alone speaks volumes of how little the devs gave a shit.

You fight the same boss with minor differences multiple times in Super Mario 3D World and Zelda Skyward Sword too but no one seems to have a problem with them. I guess Nintendo don't give a shit.

Yukinari

You fight the same boss with minor differences multiple times in Super Mario 3D World and Zelda Skyward Sword too but no one seems to have a problem with them. I guess Nintendo don't give a shit.

"Its ok when nintendo does it" is not the angle i was going for with my post.

Koeta

I liked it, like others have said at $60 it was a bit of a hard pill to take being so short but at $30 or less I think it was a very fun 6~ hours.

odhiex

It is a 6/10 game for me, even that I bought it under $10 and finished the campaign.

The game has potential for sure but I probably won't be missed to play the sequel if any.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Enjoyed my time with the game immensely,the art direction is only rivaled by Bloodboure and HorizonSD this gen, thought the story had something worthwhile going on, liked the prospect of visiting India in the sequel (thats never happing). Actually liked the way Vampires where handled and propped up for the sequel.

Shooting felt great and it featured the most powerful feeling shotgun in any game ever (imo oc), and i never had problems with the QTE, I just pressed some buttons and they where over fast :/
The boss fights where bad as hell. Gametime was okay for me, but i come from a time where it was okay to have games that could be beat in 25min (Die Hard Arcade / Nights into dreams or similar).

Would have loved a sequel but the viral troll hate that game receives whenever its mentioned will make that impossible.

E-flux

Do you actually know meaning of great?

It is far from being good let alone great.

the game had one of the best encounter designs i have seen up to the crashed airship, the game is just way too predictable in terms of gameplay, it offers nothing new even if the shooting feels okay.

I enjoyed the story and the graphics were top quality, I even liked the shooting gameplay, which was basically Gears of War, it's just a shame there wasn't much of those levels.

They could have extended the shooting sections, added more shooting levels, cut out the walking sections (as there was nothing to really do in those parts) or make them more interactive, then tweak the boss fights, so they weren't just a few button prompts and it could have been a better game then.

cjp

I actually just finished this last night and while I can understand all the criticism thrown at it, I still really enjoyed it. I thought that atmosphere it built was pretty much nigh on perfect, I got lost inside the game at times. Put me in the camp that would love a sequel.

jacobeid

Banned
The game is TERRIBLE.

Honestly have you ever played a terrible game? The hyperbole surrounding this title is ridiculous. You know what's a terrible game? Life of Black Tiger.

The Order is a flawed game but calling it terrible just ruins people's credibility to me. Everything is either the best or the worst with no in-between; it's almost like people can't think for themselves outside of a simple binary system.

WinFonda

by not focusing on horror aspects / elements this game was a giant missed opportunity

it could have been more like Until Dawn and been all the better for it

yurinka

Bad stealth sections with illogical insta fail states
Sometimes you're forced to walk, some times you're forced to run. Player agency is not valued.
The story's bad, and it's also structured in a way to deflate all tension since you know from the intro that your guy makes it through the rest of the events in the game.
The Order like Zelda: Breath of the Wid has many great points but also these things.

-The Order case: Worst game ever!
-Zelda case: Hey, it's Nintendo instead of RaD/Sony! 10/10! GOTY! Best game ever!

It's a bad rental too with the crazy amount of good games coming out right now.

Definition of wasted potential and my personal biggest disappointment of the generation.

Best wishes.

Already commented and have re: The Order on gaf before but the bones for a good sequel are here. The tech and models are in place. They need a good story, address the negatives / reviews and work towards an exciting sequel and bam, it could get good. It has its moments and I don't think it ended all too badly either.

I enjoyed it. *shrug* Different strokes. Id probably rate it a 7/10. I mean, I only paid $28 for the CE which is actually pretty cool as CEs go. I'd love to see a sequel that fleshes out the world and fixes the flaws, adds co-op, etc....

Gestault

[list of issues]
The Order like Zelda: Breath of the Wid has many great points but also these things.

-The Order case: Worst game ever!
-Zelda case: Hey, it's Nintendo instead of RaD/Sony! 10/10! GOTY! Best game ever!

If I'm reading this right, it's one of the more embarassing posts I've ever seen on this board.

I enjoyed the game a lot. Would definitely buy a better sequel. But no the game wasn't worth it at $60. Maybe $40.
7/10 for me.

I couldn't deal with the game. Literally the only things that were good were the graphics and atmosphere. Stupid premise, poor storytelling, dull gameplay, bad pacing. I paid $10 and expected the worst going in and it still managed to surpass my expectations for how ill conceived the whole thing was.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Game had a crazy good premise, setting and visuals. Hell the gunplay was amazing (for the little times they you used them). But everything else was mediocre and somewhat predictable.

I liked it and I hope it gets sequels with better gameplay mechanics, less QTEs and more gunplay sections. I mean come on we live in post-Knack 2 world, it has to happen, unless Sony lost some crazy amount of money with it.

The gunplay was a more boring version of Gears of War, with a couple exceptions (the thermite rifle was pretty great, imo). For the most part it was cookie cutter third person cover shooter with uninteresting AI, and few ways to approach the encounters.

Salz01

The order is actually a good game. I play it from time to time. It really needed a sequel and fix the short comings. The world and atmosphere was great. I'll probably boot it up tonight.

It's the definition of a game that has a good vision and didn't quite nail it gameplay wise. The perfect title to deserve a sequel and bring it up higher. People saying it's the worst game ever though. Cool. I guess? I wish this was truly the worst game I've ever played because I'd have spared myself some true monstrosities like Ride to Hell, etc.

Business

To me it felt like the gameplay was an afterthought. I remember a section where enemies seemed to spawn forever that made me think the game was broken or that I needed to trigger something to advance and stop the enemies from spawning. IIRC it was meant to be like that, just these spawning waves of drones, one after the other. Then there was this other stealth section in the zeppelin. Then that ridiculous charging boss. I mean, this has to be one of the worst games I played in the last few years I don't care if it looks great.

Ourobolus

Banned
I picked it up in some sale a while back, and since I had time to kill between finishing Nier: Automata and Persona 5 coming out, I decided to give it a shot.

Played through it in a day. It was so...so...underwhelming is probably the best word.

The graphics are beautiful.
The voice acting is on point, though the script is boring as fuck.
The gunplay is ok, nothing to write home about.
By the end of the game I still couldn't give two shits about any of the characters.

I was basically just going cutscene to cutscene to finish the game. The collectibles didn't really add a whole lot to the game, and since most of the time Galahad walks like a grandmother with leprosy, I had no motivation to deviate from the critical path.

Pretty much for most of the game I was just bored, and when things finally get a little interesting, the game ends.

So yeah, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but I can say that the world itself was interesting, and maybe a sequel can use that to make an actual decent game.

I feel like if The Order released around this time in this console's life it would be a little better received. We have such a surplus of awesome games right now that a very average cover shooter would either be glossed over or pretty much ignored.
The order just had the misfortune of releasing towards the beginning of the PS4s life where we had a buncha remasters and sequels with very little new or exclusive to look forward to, so a lot of eyes were on it.
Either way it's still an average game /at best/.

Top Bottom