• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Rental 1886 is bad.

The game that got made was perfectly in line with the developer's stated priorities. I don't know how so many people managed to be surprised at how it turned out, honestly. If it'd made the PS4 launch it would probably be thought of more kindly; it very much has the qualities of a launch game (as a short graphical showcase).

hamchan

I bought it for $10 in a PSN sale, finished and platinumed it in a single day and then completely forgot about it. It really isn't very good.

Devastatingly abominable. Hopefully whichever publishers that take their chances on RAD send someone over to oversee development on their future projects so something like The Order: 1886 won't exist again.

Warablo

I enjoyed the game despite it being a simple game.

The storyline and setting deserves a sequel. A lot of wasted potential in many areas. I feel this could have been the Gears of War for Sony with various game modes and a much better storyline.

Steampunk, Vampires and Werewolves? Yes Please!!

Devastatingly abominable. Hopefully whichever publishers that take their chances on RAD send someone over to oversee development on their future projects so something like The Order: 1886 won't exist again.

I don't even know why Sony took a chance with them in the first place. The majority of their games are shovelware, at best.

Here's just some of the gems they've put out over the years:

- Mario is Missing (NES)
- Wayne's World (NES, Gameboy)
- The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle (NES)
- Bebe's Kids (SNES)
- Independence Day (PS1)
- Monster's Inc Scream Arena (GCN)
- Hulk (Xbox)
- Crash of the Titan (360)

They've only made a few good games like Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.

ryseing

I don't even know why Sony took a chance with them in the first place. The majority of their games are shovelware, at best.

- Mario is Missing (NES)
- Bebe's Kids (SNES)
- Independence Day (PS1)
- Hulk (Xbox)

Not sure if you're joking...

RaD earned their chance for a big budget title by making two pretty great portable God of Wars.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Not sure if you're joking...

RaD earned their chance for a big budget title by making two pretty great portable God of Wars.

Then they demonstrated how incredibly green they were at both game design and story telling. Not really optimistic about them turning that around given their "No, it's the critics who are wrong." public statements on top of that.

Van Bur3n

It deserved a 88 in Metacritic

giphy.gif

ryseing

Then they demonstrated how incredibly green they were at both game design and story telling. Not really optimistic about them turning that around given their "No, it's the critics who are wrong." public statements on top of that.

I don't disagree- I've been outspoken about my hatred of The Order. Just saying that they earned one shot at making an original IP, and now they need to pay penance for screwing it up.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I haven't played it but how can it be that bad?

It depends on your tastes I suppose. Generally to me though it broke down about like this:

Strong focus on QTE's
Bad stealth sections with illogical insta fail states
Sometimes you're forced to walk, some times you're forced to run. Player agency is not valued.
The shooting sections feel like a cheap Android game. Also completely forced weapon selections from one level to the next. Find a cool gun? It's gone. You'll never see that one again.
The story's bad, and it's also structured in a way to deflate all tension since you know from the intro that your guy makes it through the rest of the events in the game.
Sequel bait ending. Whole game feels like a demo for the real game.
Short and linear. No replay value unless you want to collect things to get an easy platinum.

That's basically a list of everything I hate in gaming, so I intensely dislike this game.

FLEABttn

Banned
I'd be interested in a sequel if they improved on all the glaring flaws. More gameplay to story ratio, better story, more werewolf enemies that are fun to fight, etc. and it would be hard for me to resist. The premise is just so promising. It's a shame they ruined any possibility of a sequel, and I'm sure they were saving a lot of ideas for the sequels they were sure they would be making.

It's just saddening to me how RAD managed to fuck up their chance with Sony to become a AAA developer. Like how can you take a cool game concept like '19th century knights fighting werewolves and beasts with steampunk tech' in such a boring and lifeless direction? It just blows my mind...

Steampunk and werewolves is a real low bar to cross over to be deserving of a sequel.

JordanN

Banned
The game always get bashed for "trying to be a movie" but it's what got me excited in the first place. I was hoping for this game to be a success so it would have lead to more games this generation that would put an emphasis on world building.

Where it falls short on gameplay it deserves to be criticized, but I see nothing wrong if a game wants to go bold on its presentation. We've seen this since Final Fantasy 7 made extensive use of FMV's and no one complained.

Applebite

The game always get bashed for "trying to be a movie" but it's what got me excited in the first place. I was hoping for this game to be a success so it would have lead to more games this generation that would put an emphasis on world building.

Where it falls short on gameplay it deserves to be criticized, but I see nothing wrong if a game wants to go bold on its presentation. We've seen this since Final Fantasy 7 made extensive use of FMV's and no one complained.
If you want to go big on story you should probably have a good one. As well as memorable characters.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

It didn't do much on the world building front.

Andrea Pessino

Ready At Dawn Game Director

I would love to know where these "public statements" were made, since I don't recall any one of us every saying anything to that effect.

CEJames

It wasn't even that bad. Sure, it wasn't incredibly spectacular in terms of gameplay, although some of the guns were pretty cool, I still enjoyed it. I believe they could do something amazing with a sequel to improve gameplay if they took a few cues from other games and still keep that cinematic feel to it.

Some of the collectibles did nothing to add any background to it overall but a few. Some of the voice-acted audio tape ones gave some commentary on what was currently happening with the game's politics. They hinted at a much bigger overall plot which could add to its world building in its sequel if they are able to make one.

I would love to know where these "public statements" were made, since I don't recall any one of us every saying anything to that effect.

Tragically, people have been shoving words in your mouths since well before the game ever launched.

It's obvious the standard lycan fights never came together in a satisfying way, but I really enjoyed everything else about the game. I thought the story was fantastic and loved the languid pace of the game. I bought it day one for full price on PSN have never regretted that for a second.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

Perhaps it was mainly a PR person, but I seem to remember someone attached to the game suggesting that people watch certain reviews on YouTube. Mainly ones that said "If you don't like this game, your expectations were incorrect. It's designed to be a PLAYABLE FILM not an action game!"

Then there were comments about how the game was a steak dinner... (A notion that still pisses me off. Steaks have substance.)

Sorry for the delay in detail, digging up this old stuff in proving rather difficult. Usually better at Google Fu than this.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/s...-review-scores-order1886-calls-press-hateful/

Blacklist them "Hateful reviewers".

marrec

Banned
I haven't played it but how can it be that bad?

Because you slog through bland environments (that look pretty) with bad shooting only to get to the end of a bad story and have it end insultingly bad.

It's an effort in self-flagellation.

It's a classic thing regarding the Order.

People makes thing in their head and then get mad over it.

I bought it day 1 and enjoyed my time with it. I'm really sad that a sequel is not meant to be because the setting as well as the gameplay deserve to be explored more.

I couldn't even bite for $6 during one of those flash sales. I just can't deal with nonstop QTEs, and I'm glad that developers this generation have collectively outgrown their obsession with them.

Why were those people banned, by the way? Wasn't the OP itself just some one-line throwaway shitpost originally?

krioto

I actually didn't mind it - thought the combat was good. Just needed to be more of it, and a better way to actually fight the werewolfs etc instead of that really bad QTE mess.

I was fine with it. The bosses sucked but the rest of the game was fine, the cut scenes looked amazing and the story and characters were interesting enough.

Still the best looking game on the PS4 and maybe even PC, obviously minus the HDR/8K and all that.

PaulloDEC

I liked it. It isn't a great game, but I bet they could've made a great sequel.

The hyperbole surrounding it always amazes me. Someone on the first page said they bought it for $9, sold it for $6 and "still felt shortchanged". Even if the game's only saving grace is its visuals, are they alone really not worth three measly dollars?

test_account

XP-39C²
Shame it had to be this way. rad were woefully unprepared for console development, they did not bring any of their talent and expertise on level design and gameplay from the PSP games.
Definitelly a big step from what they had done before, indeed. They were up to 120 people on The Order 1886, not sure how many who worked on their previous games.

Shocking really. I went in expecting it to be bad but I was still disappointed. The shooting is honestly so garbage, it makes Uncharted 1 feel like fucking DOOM. The graphics and animations were top notch, but they were about the only thing that wasn't straight dumpster. It's like the reverse NieR Automata.
Feels like big hyperbole to me, but thats your take on the game, thats fine, but people still have different opinions and expectations you know, so its not shocking at all :p

jobrro

I got this game on sale for $10 several months ago, and I think it's next on my list. Can't wait to beat it and see where I stand.

Yes, lots of people have already told me it's not worth even that, but I'm still curious.

I saw a lot of hate during demos at E3 etc.

I wasn't hyped on the setting etc. of the game and bought the game very cheap in a PSN sale and was mostly impressed. Definitely worth playing if you like cinematic style games (Uncharted etc.). If you are purely about gameplay maybe don't worry.

laxu

We are well past the age of interactive movies. We have the technology to carry both a good story and good gameplay at the same time. If we compare The Order to another game that tries to be a movie, Max Payne 3, you get the same kind of handholding and constant cutscenes but the main difference is that MP3 at least has good gameplay when it lets you actually play.

The Order is your most generic cover shooter dressed in fancy clothing. Level design is super linear and narrow corridors. It's rare for me to want a game to be actually over but that's what happened with the Order. Its story was downright dull so the only thing that kept me going was wanting to see the visuals and knowing that it is a short game overall.

I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel as the setting is good, it would just have to be completely rewritten as a game to be any good.

Theecliff

Banned

- Mario is Missing (NES)
- Bebe's Kids (SNES)
- Independence Day (PS1)
- Hulk (Xbox)

... you're getting ready at dawn mixed up with a completely different studio called radical. ready at dawn are the developers of daxter, the god of war psp games and a few ports here and there.

lupinko

This game was wasted potential, all they needed to do was make gears with werewolves and Victorian steampunk.

But nope, they made an absolute snooze fest. I couldn't even bring myself to play the game without falling asleep.

I'll try again some day, maybe with a Red Bull or two.

Andrea Pessino

Ready At Dawn Game Director
Perhaps it was mainly a PR person, but I seem to remember someone attached to the game suggesting that people watch certain reviews on YouTube. Mainly ones that said "If you don't like this game, your expectations were incorrect. It's designed to be a PLAYABLE FILM not an action game!"

Then there were comments about how the game was a steak dinner... (A notion that still pisses me off. Steaks have substance.)

Sorry for the delay in detail, digging up this old stuff in proving rather difficult. Usually better at Google Fu than this.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/s...-review-scores-order1886-calls-press-hateful/

Blacklist them "Hateful reviewers".

I don’t know about the first bit, but the one bit you dug up is not from us. Never heard anything about steak dinners either - where is that supposed to be from?

Anyhow, sorry to derail… please ignore me. :)

Makai

It depends on your tastes I suppose. Generally to me though it broke down about like this:

Strong focus on QTE's
Bad stealth sections with illogical insta fail states
Sometimes you're forced to walk, some times you're forced to run. Player agency is not valued.
The shooting sections feel like a cheap Android game. Also completely forced weapon selections from one level to the next. Find a cool gun? It's gone. You'll never see that one again.
The story's bad, and it's also structured in a way to deflate all tension since you know from the intro that your guy makes it through the rest of the events in the game.
Sequel bait ending. Whole game feels like a demo for the real game.
Short and linear. No replay value unless you want to collect things to get an easy platinum.

That's basically a list of everything I hate in gaming, so I intensely dislike this game.
Isn't that every AAA game?

gogosox82

Yeah I made a thread like a year ago talking about my issues with the game like a year ago. I think biggest gripes was it being short and linear, the "boss fights" being qte's, boring ass weapons and when you get a cool weapon they literally take it away from you, the story feeling rushed and unfinished, and the forced walking for no reason whatsoever. But it did look again and have great art design so there's that.

Thretau

Recently saw a reviewer comparing this to Telltale games or David Cage games. I took that mindset and I enjoyed my time with the game. I only recently bought it with 11€ so I don't feel bad about it.

I think they nailed the atmosphere in the game, it's really good. Also, I liked the voice acting a lot. Shame about the ultra linear levels and the bare-bones gameplay.

As an AAA-budget Telltale game, it works.

McLovin

I bought it on sale, played like an hour, then stopped... then deleted it to make space... then I just remembered now I own it:p

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I actually didn't mind it - thought the combat was good. Just needed to be more of it, and a better way to actually fight the werewolfs etc instead of that really bad QTE mess.

*Stares at avatar*

I own the premium edition and I ain't even mad!

last time I preordered anything. Especially CE's. Although it's probably one of the best statues I own.

Great game loved it guns were really satisfying and the world was very interesting will well delivered story and characters

Gaminar

Banned
Please ignore me. :)

No. Ignore these guys and get funding for a sequel or whatever you guys need. I'm in for $60 because I know you guys have the talent.

Please pull an Assassin's Creed 2 type of vengeance and have everyone of these guys eat crow. Guerilla did it with Horizon.

Malcolm9

Great game. It has its flaws and I think it deserves another shot with a sequel.

I think it'd be a great PS Plus titles at some point, and a linear game can be really enjoyable with all the open world games we get at the moment, so I think it'd be more appreciated

Overall the game is pretty satisfying to play, the hate is pretty undeserved.

Game had a crazy good premise, setting and visuals. Hell the gunplay was amazing (for the little times they you used them). But everything else was mediocre and somewhat predictable.

I liked it and I hope it gets sequels with better gameplay mechanics, less QTEs and more gunplay sections. I mean come on we live in post-Knack 2 world, it has to happen, unless Sony lost some crazy amount of money with it.

Top Bottom