• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Rental 1886 is bad.

kswiston

I haven't played it yet, but I got the Order for $5 during a recent PSN sale. I'll be happy if I can get a good 3 hours out of it for that price.

jennetics

I seriously loved this game. It's still the only game I ever platinum'd. The shooting felt amazingly.

Well?
giphy.gif

shanafan

Best game I've played this gen. I loved it.

With too many open world titles on the market, it felt good to sit back and just enjoy a linear game.

I enjoyed my time with it. Good art direction and cinematic is a combo that pleases me, even if the gameplay is lacking.

My main criticism remains that it ended on a cliffhanger. To me, if you're going to prioritise story over other elements, then you owe your audience a conclusion.

marrec

Banned
Best game I've played this gen. I loved it.

With too many open world titles on the market, it felt good to sit back and just enjoy a linear game.

What else have you played this gen?

You could tell it was going to be a bad shooter just from the game play teasers. Sony have done well to get rid.

I fucked up and bought it anyway and Sony punished me for my sins by giving me an awful game.

It's a game that squanders it's relatively unique setting (for a video game) and lore gameplay wise while also leaning HEAVILY in to it's story which turned out to be no better than your average video game. It annoys me how much potential this game wastes. It doesn't need a sequel, it needs a reboot.

jacobeid

Banned
I liked it a lot. Played through it twice and got the platinum. I think the game deserves another shot with a sequel. The tech already exists....

Great game with great shootouts. The setting was ace. Story was okay but sure, it all hinted to a sequel :(

But the werewolf-fights were really bad, yes.

shandy706

I paid $5 for it. I'd say that it was worth that price for the visuals.

The gun designs are cool, but you barely get to use them. Heck, they give you some of the coolest weapons with just a couple reloads and no way to pick up ammo for them...derp.

The combat was stupid easy. I just popped out and would head-shot everyone over and over till I dropped all the enemies. Easiest shooter ever...and moving in combat could be clunky. The shotgunners were the only thing that threatened me a few times. Werewolf fights were so stupid even if they looked neat/threatening.

I'd have probably been pissed if I paid more than $10. Love the setting though.

BlondeTuna

And the soundtrack.
And the presentation.

Damn, I wish it was better as an actual game.
I still enjoyed it.
The Coach gun is just so damn fun to wreck with.

The world / premise of the game was really cool, which made it even more painful that the gameplay was mediocre compared to similar TPS and the story fell short.

jennetics

Really? The shooting mechanics, and the graphics were the only things it excelled at. Gears is the only other third person shooter I would consider to have better shooting mechanics. UC,TR, QB, TLOU, RE, all feel mediocre next to it.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I meant "go on" because he left the sentence at "felt amazingly", as in "felt amazingly" what?

faridmon

You serious? Guy made a post shitting on a game with no real insight, "The Rental 1886" so edgy. This game has been shit on long long ago. No need for a new thread. But yeah, keep on fighting the good fight about how that's the worst post you've seen in a while...

If you don't like the thread then don't post smamry comment. Its an LTTP thread and of course people can post anything they want regarding the game, Its not edgy to say that its not a good game, you may think so, but he doesn't. He rented and still thought it was bad. Why does that fact hurt you personally?

and yes, your post was bad.

shanafan

What else have you played this gen?

Lot of games. Basically everything that has come out. I invest time into titles that demand it, like Witcher 3 and Breath of the Wild, but I played enough to get the idea what the game is about. Sometimes having a full-time job and being married, it's hard to get into the mental state to really tackle an open world game knowing life will come in the way.

I just really enjoyed the game for what it was. A simple third person cover shooter, with a linear direction. The story wasn't the absolute best, but got enough out of it to get the idea of what was going on. The gameplay was fun, and the game was beautiful of course. The shotgun enemies were annoying, but every game has its challenges.

So yeah, it's my favorite game this gen.

DrD

I was disappointed from the first gameplay shown after being intrigued by the debut trailer. I was expecting a co-op shooter about fighting monsters in a cool setting. I remember the game director talking about the branching QTEs like they're this amazing new gameplay mechanic. The fights with the werewolves are tragic. I'm pretty sure Call of Duty fish AI is more complex than the werewolves.

Amazing production values that are tied up in a third-tier production every where else. The story is boring drivel and the combat is a by the numbers third person shooter. How you come up with an amazing setting, but bungle actually putting anything interesting in it is beyond me. Game would of worked much better if they focused on supernatural enemies to fight and you primarily fought with the various cool Tesla weapons you got, but instead nope let's fight a bunch of boring rebels and other humans with dull guns for most of the gameplay that we got. Don't even get me started on the major werewolf "fights"' or the stealth sections.

Maybe I would of thought differently if I didn't pay $60 for it, but as it stands it's probably second to Star Ocean as far as games I regret buying for that price this generation.

I thought it was far from bad. A tad boring at times and maybe shallow, but still some fun and pretty looking.

I paid less than $10 for the game, for what it's worth.

ironcreed

Banned
I loved it for what it was. Fantastic production value, great characters and what gameplay that is there is fun. It just needed more of that gameplay and also needed to be longer. It certainly deserves another shot if you ask me.

Desmond

Bought it in Japan for 1000 yen. Didn't even have an English dub option lol.

I enjoyed it though! Didn't care for the Gears-esque slow scripted walking sections.

There are no good arguments for a sequel to The Order. People praise the graphics but that is technology. Any other game that used the same tech would look as good. The story in Tthe Order was average at best with no satisfying conclusion. A story reliant game with a poorly executed story is a detriment to a sequel. The many people who did not play the first game won't slog through it to setup their sequel play. Finally, the gameplay of the first game is considered by most to be missing in action. Any new game game would have to be a total overhaul. That sounds an awful lot like just starting with a new franchise.

Drencrom

Ready at Dawn really fucked themselves over with this game. They basically wanted to be Naughty Dog without understanding why their games are popular and instead just focused on making the game as "cinematic" possible and only about story. Ironically, not only is the story shoddy and literally unfinished with no ending, the characters in the game are completely unlikable and uninteresting (who at RAD thought making them all insufferable was a good idea)?

It's just saddening to me how RAD managed to fuck up their chance with Sony to become a AAA developer. Like how can you take a cool game concept like '19th century knights fighting werewolves and beasts with steampunk tech' in such a boring and lifeless direction? It just blows my mind...

I loved it for what it was. Fantastic production value, great characters and what gameplay that is there is fun. It just needed more of that gameplay and also needed to be longer. It certainly deserves another shot if you ask me.

It was a critical and commercial dud. Not sure how that constitutes "deserving" a sequel. It was a fairly forgettable and thoroughly mediocre game propped by a combination of its graphics and its status as a first party exclusive.

Van Bur3n

I smelled the garbage on this game the moment they showed gameplay. Was going to be a heavily scripted, linear, corridor shooter plagued by QTEs and cutscenes around every corner. And that's exactly what it turned out to be.

The game doesn't need a sequel because it does nothing to deserve one. It's setting and pretty visuals don't change that either. Let it sit in a corner as a lesson for how not to make your video game.

ironcreed

Banned
It was a critical and commercial dud. Not sure how that constitutes "deserving" a sequel. It was a fairly forgettable and thoroughly mediocre game propped by a combination of its graphics and its status as a first party exclusive.

tumblr_mqj623yCOW1sbntcco1_500.gif

I still feel like they could knock it out of the park with a longer and more fleshed-out game that features more gameplay. The potential is most certainly there to improve.

Airan

Yeah, only redeeming thing for me was the graphics. I was actually getting into the story at the last hour just when things started getting juicy and then it ended. I find it hard to believe RAD thought that that part would be a good place to stop. I can forgive the archaic gameplay if it had a satisfying conclusion, but nope.

I bought it for £9 during the recent EU sale and even then I felt it was wasn't worth the price.

oo7

If you don't like the thread then don't post smamry comment. Its an LTTP thread and of course people can post anything they want regarding the game, Its not edgy to say that its not a good game, you may think so, but he doesn't. He rented and still thought it was bad. Why does that fact hurt you personally?

and yes, your post was bad.

Holy shit dude. You see right through me.

tumblr_mqj623yCOW1sbntcco1_500.gif

I still feel like they could knock it out of the park with a longer and more fleshed-out game that features more gameplay. The potential is most certainly there to improve.

If they could have knocked it out if the park they should and would have done it the first time. Getting the opportunity to create a new AAA IP with first party backing and support and by all accounts a long leash and lengthy development time is like about as perfect of a situation as you are going to get for a studio.

LAA

Does annoy me with culture lately.
A lot of things end in a way to tease a sequel despite one not being on the cards or set in stone at that point.

Probably in hopes of getting people riled up to try cause a demand for a sequel.

I would have liked a sequel for order 1886 though to improve on the shortcomings of the first. Mainly more gameplay as said and to be longer.

SirNinja

I got 1886 free with my PS4 (along with two other games) so I suppose I enjoyed it more than most. Even so, it's ultra-linear, there's nothing to unlock, and it sets up a sequel that's unlikely to ever exist. Once I finish it up and get the platinum, I don't see myself picking it up ever again.

ironcreed

Banned
If they could have knocked it out if the park they should and would have done it the first time. Getting the opportunity to create a new AAA IP with first party backing and support and by all accounts a long leash and lengthy development time is like about as perfect of a situation as you are going to get for a studio.

Yeah, because nobody has ever improved the second time around after coming up short on the first try. If that is the way the industry operated then we would not have developers like Guerilla Games.

Top Bottom