• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The role of Abby has officially been cast for The Last of Us Season 2

Woggleman

The one thing I wonder about is the Nora scene. Are they going to make her white because ND did get some flack for that.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Interesting choice. Googling pics, she's only 5'2 and skinny looking. Not jacked up at all.

Maybe they are going to change her character from a butchy bouncer kind of character to being a nemesis in more of a bitchy Mean Girls way.

There is no way a short skinny actress is going to have the physical intimidation of video game Abby.

Last edited:
Happy James Corden GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

She's fantastic. Not my first choice for Abby or my second, but she's a great actress. Can't wait to see her in Season 2.
they want people to actually want to watch the show....

edit, i mean, they could have hired a true to life fit, like Caitlyn Jenner, but again, they actually want viewers

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
She’s tiny. The character is hopefully written around that. Maybe they creat a gimp type character that she keeps on a leash and it does all the physical work.
Ya. They'll a different take on Abby. They probably realized hiring a jacked up gym rat actress going toe to toe with Bella Ramsay in a fist fight in a TV adaption would look silly.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
A lot of people complained because Ellie brutally murdered a black woman so I do wonder if the show will make some changes.
But had no issue with Joel shooting one in the face while she pleaded for her life (in both the show and game)?
o_O

Last edited:

aclar00

Yes It averaged at 8.2, I think GOT average at about 13.6
but something like Two and Half Men averaged 14.8 throughout season 1-8 even when Charlie left it was at 13.6 and the lowest was 9.3 at the end of the series.
The original CSI average at 16.7.
The Sopranos 14.6
It did well but some are over exaggerating it.

Streaming change the game quite a bit, but i dont think we can compare broadcast tv to cable/paid subscriptions. Cable has historically been much lower than OTA. Not sure how numbers compare nowadays though.

Pigenator

She's a wonderful actress indeed, but... she's 157cm and super skinny.
I get they look at talent first and looks later, but it seems like she'll have to do TONS of work to get somewhat bulky, and they'll still need to give her some extra height with boots or something idk.
Abby's physique is a big part of her character, she's not supposed to look fragile.

Woggleman

I have people I work with who never picked up a controller in their life talking about the show so yes it did do very well.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I guess a direct bullet to the head is less offensive than a slow torture while she is choking on spores.
I don’t even recall that controversy, which is ironic for Part II.

My hope is they stick to the source material. Nora was black, tried to kill Ellie, and that’s what happened.

Last edited:
I thought the actress was excellent in No One Will Save You. I'm sure she'll knock the role out of the park...
Watched that just a few weeks ago and was floored how well she performed - literally carrying the role in a movie like that must have been extraordinarily difficult. No reason she can't bulk up a bit for the role since people have been doing that forever. Welcome to the guy's side of things where you're now judged for your biceps.

Personally the physicality of Abby is overrated for what she does most of the game. It's not going to be death by suplex, but guns, knives, bows, etc. There's a lot of ways to do menacing without being the hulk.

I don't think you played the game... She isn't a "petite" person.
Also, I don't understand why big women cannot be soft inside. It's as stupid as saying all gay dudes like to wear pink clothes...

Dude, what the actual fuck.

First, I finished the game.

Second, I said exactly the opposite from what you understood.

Learn to read before calling something or someone stupid.

Thanks.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Wasn’t crazy over Abby but she had an interesting story. When she killed you know who
and taking that golf club to his head everyone on the internet was reacting to that moment forever.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
but something like Two and Half Men averaged 14.8 throughout season 1-8 even when Charlie left it was at 13.6 and the lowest was 9.3 at the end of the series.
The Sopranos 14.6
I dont know how many HBO subscribers there are compared to standard cable TV, but Id take a guess based on those numbers that if LOU did about 8, while GOT/Sopranos/2.5 Men do around 14, that's still a solid score.

GOT and Sopranos are going to be outliers as cream of the crop. Who knows what the avg HBO TV show even gets. Maybe a 4?

//DEVIL//

H I G H L Y doubt that. Never mind that Abby’s game model is as pretty if not prettier than Kaitlyn and Abby‘s face looks just like her.

Besides, not everything is about being “woke” and not every female character has to be “decent looking”.
true. because the girl that is playing Ellie is a turd.

and everything about the Western media is turning to woke. thankfully some of us still have brain cells to reject it.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I dont know how many HBO subscribers there are compared to standard cable TV, but Id take a guess based on those numbers that if LOU did about 8, while GOT/Sopranos/2.5 Men do around 14, that's still a solid score.

GOT and Sopranos are going to be outliers as cream of the crop. Who knows what the avg HBO TV show even gets. Maybe a 4?
It did well, no one is saying it hasn't, they just over exaggerating a bit
cjp4yUW.jpg

The Sopranos 14.6

Nah people aren't over exaggerating the figures for it at all. Got to remember with likes of older shows you pretty much had to watch it live as there wasn't On Demand to fall back on.

HBO viewership has never been comparable to the likes of AMC, NBC etc etc.

The fact it competed and bettered House of the Dragon is crazy good all things considered. The season was averaging 30.4 million viewers per episode. The most of any HBO show since the final season of Game of Thrones.

HOTD averaged 29 million.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
There is no way a short skinny actress is going to have the physical intimidation of video game Abby.
They were never going to find ANYONE with that phsyique because outside of professional body builders, those women dont exist. They turned her into a cartoon character in the game. Here is she going to be an average girl who trains hard and gets somewhat fit but not into Barry fucking Bonds.

iorek21

Season 2 is probably the first time most people will be rooting for the adaptation to deviate from the source material in a long time…

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Nah people aren't over exaggerating the figures for it at all. Got to remember with likes of older shows you pretty much had to watch it live as there wasn't On Demand to fall back on.

HBO viewership has never been comparable to the likes of AMC, NBC etc etc.

The fact it competed with House of the Dragon is crazy good all things considered.

While on- demand does changes things and is taken into consideration but day one viewer ratings are still what they look at.
On-demand numbers can save a show from being cancelled if it's considerably higher or Viewership improves.
Remember all those show's are On-demand too, if the Day One Viewing is high the On Demand is probably high too.

Pagusas

Elden Member
This will be a good study in how shallow I actually am. I didn't think I could ever like the character of Abbie.. but now here we are. Seriously my shallowness is greater than I realized

Last edited:

BouncyFrag

I have people I work with who never picked up a controller in their life talking about the show so yes it did do very well.
My sister is the same and loved the show. I teased her saying she would love season two. She then told me that nothing better happen to Joel or Elie and to stop talking about it. 🤫

xrnzaaas

Season 2 is probably the first time most people will be rooting for the adaptation to deviate from the source material in a long time…
It is going to happen. Question is how long they're going to drag it out to keep Pedro and his fans watching the show. My bet would be until S2 finale with him recurring in flashbacks in S3.

While on- demand does changes things and is taken into consideration but day one viewer ratings are still what they look at.
On-demand numbers can save a show from being cancelled if it's considerably higher or Viewership improves.
Remember all those show's are On-demand too, if the Day One Viewing is high the On Demand is probably high too.

Well at 30.4 million average viewership it's clear no ones been over exaggerating numbers when they are the best HBO viewership numbers since the last season of GOT.

Season 7 of GOT averaged 32.5 million an episode. Narrowly beating season 1 of TLOU.

So again the numbers of season 1 of a show competing with late GOT is very good. I doubt they even needed or expected half the viewership that they ended up getting.

xBlueStonex

This casting only reinforces the point that Abby's game model was (and still is) laughably terrible. Literally done for shock value and nothing else. Just look at this shit:

6b2mt4z0x5h71.jpg

Kaitlyn will be lucky just to match the left picture - the right picture is pure nonsense.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
This doesn't even make sense.
What I meant was, while her performance won’t be an issue, we as viewers will need to act like we don’t know she physically makes sense for the role. It’s the Fast and Futious effect where you leave logic out of it.

I’m just wondering what makes more sense, Denise Richards as a scientist in a Bond flick, or this actress playing Abby.

Top Bottom