• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Symphonia PC-Port is a mess!

Hylian7

After finishing up the article, I wondered how long this would take. The answer is 14 minutes.

screenshot_2016-02-02x3ucz.png

screenshot_2016-02-02bfuz0.png

screenshot_2016-02-02h7uj0.png

screenshot_2016-02-02exudp.png

It seems to be fine from initial testing in all scenarios of the game, including cutscenes, exploration, skits and battles. Videos are broken, would probably require another 15 minutes to fix. No wonder B-N couldn't bother.

...I stand corrected and impressed. God damn, good job.

LiK

After finishing up the article, I wondered how long this would take. The answer is 14 minutes.

It seems to be fine from initial testing in all scenarios of the game, including cutscenes, exploration, skits and battles. Videos are broken, would probably require another 15 minutes to fix. No wonder B-N couldn't bother.

your tag can't get any longer!

Seriously, porting teams need to just start fucking paying Durante to do this shit for them. Maybe not the whole thing, just get it to the point where it's stable on PC at equivalent res/framerate, hand Durante the source code and the rest of their programming budget, and let him do the rest.

Meia

Seriously, porting teams need to just start fucking paying Durante to do this shit for them. Maybe not the whole thing, just get it to the point where it's stable on PC at equivalent res/framerate, hand Durante the source code and the rest of their programming budget, and let him do the rest.

It is kind of utterly ridiculous that whoever these companies get to program the port are so inept that someone on their free time fixes their work for them again, and again, and again. All different companies, and it gets fixed anyway.

At this point Durante is just the Wolf from Pulp Fiction. PAY THE MAN. :p

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It is kind of utterly ridiculous that whoever these companies get to program the port are so inept that someone on their free time fixes their work for them again, and again, and again. All different companies, and it gets fixed anyway.

At this point Durante is just the Wolf from Pulp Fiction. PAY THE MAN. :p

Without access to the source code, at that. :lol

I think Durante should be kinda "popular" now, so I wonder why they dont just pay him a bit to do a 30 minute QA...
Not sure if he would wanna do that though.

Here are what the trading cards and badges look like, for the curious.

Besides the fact that they look kinda bad, there is also this.

Az0ZVx1.png

ODArEce.png

They really didn't give a damn, did they?

You must have forgotten the final plot twist or didn't complete 100% of the original game. You see the Mithos you encounter was more or less a phantom of Mithos. Zelos was actually Mithos the entire time. The guy you beat at the end was just the poor soul who didn't know he wasn't actually Mithos and didn't actually know his sister had already been saved. Zelos's sister is of course Martel.

Why pay for it when it's going to happen for free anyway?

You must have forgotten the final plot twist or didn't complete 100% of the original game. You see the Mithos you encounter was more or less a phantom of Mithos. Zelos was actually Mithos the entire time. The guy you beat at the end was just the poor soul who didn't know he wasn't actually Mithos and didn't actually know his sister had already been saved. Zelos's sister is of course Martel.

Should put it in spoilertags.

screenshot_2016-02-02x3ucz.png

screenshot_2016-02-02bfuz0.png

screenshot_2016-02-02h7uj0.png

screenshot_2016-02-02exudp.png

Seriously. Fuck them. Either they're fuckin incompetent or you're some kind of genius and they should hire you. In either case, or even in both, fuck them.

Durante

I was wrong about the videos.

That was closer to 8 minutes than 15.

(By the way, if my tag gets changed again, the one wish I have is for it to have correct capitalization. That small "h" at the start combined with the period at the end has been driving me nuts since the last change)

Easy_D

never left the stone age

so 22 minutes in total? :lol Wow. The hourly rates at the studio who ported it must be insane :lol

Edit: Durante I wasn't aware that you had years of experience working on PS3 ports?

Eh, 8 minutes is a lot. They didn't bother fuckin start the game and QA different languages. Which... takes 1 minute just to boot the freakin game.

so 22 minutes in total? :lol Wow. The hourly rates at the studio who ported it must be insane :lol

That freakin sucks. Even if they were paying some expensive programmer at a 30€ per hour rate... it would've taken 15€ to fix that. Can you just imagine ? 15€ to fix the game and avoid all the bad reputation. Avoid all the missing sales for 15€. Whoever was in charge of this should be fired. I mean it. Because it's not even a case of "it's too expensive to do".

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Eh, 8 minutes is a lot. They didn't bother fuckin start the game and QA different languages. Which... takes 1 minute just to boot the freakin game.

And if they're on Windows 7 it took several minutes just to open some menus

Kraftwerk

(By the way, if my tag gets changed again, the one wish I have is for it to have correct capitalization. That small "h" at the start combined with the period at the end has been driving me nuts since the last change)

Im fucking done.

jesus

Xenus

Lol you should seriously consider selling your services to port teams. Minimum fee of 200 dollars plus 100 an hour after the first hour.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

You can ask an admin to change it.

Edit: Never mind. ;) But it should be "Durante's Drive-through PC Port Fixes" given it's a business name.

One day, your tag will take a whole page.

Top Bottom