• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Symphonia PC-Port is a mess!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So now we only need someone to get the framerate to 60 and we have the best version.

I wonder if there is hidden 60 FPS code in the game somewhere, I mean the engine can't have changed *that* much? Unless they moved all the assets over to an entirely different engine for the PS2 port. (Which is the foundation of the PS3 port is the foundation of the PC port)

I wonder if there is hidden 60 FPS code in the game somewhere, I mean the engine can't have changed *that* much? Unless they moved all the assets over to an entirely different engine for the PS2 port.

It is funny anyhow, if I'm thinking right they had to halve the frames from the GC to the PS2 version, but the raw data should be available in 60 fps. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Semajer

It's such a pity that one of my favourite games is released in such a sorry state. I was hoping it would be done competently, and sell well enough to see other games in the series ported to PC.

But really, that's for another thread. This one is for righteous fury.

I guess you could say that this thread is for Indignation.

I think I'll wait for it to get down to 50% off before considering a purchase.

10 quid for Namco and 10 quid donated to Durante sounds about right.

Card Boy

Banned
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles is $4.99 on the NA PSN store. Not as good as the Gamecube/Wii versions framerate wise but better than unmodded PC plus you get the sequel.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It's such a pity that one of my favourite games is released in such a sorry state. I was hoping it would be done competently, and sell well enough to see other games in the series ported to PC.

I guess you could say that this thread is for Indignation.

I DWELL AMIDST THE ABOUNDING LIGHT OF HEAVEN.

THOU ART AT THE GATE TO THE UNDERWORLD.

COME FORTH THUNDER OF THE GODS!

(What the HECK is THAT?)

THIS ENDS HEAH! INDIGNATION!!

Akronis

Durante, as much as people joke and beg every time a shitty PC port comes out we all really appreciate you taking the time to do the work you do.

Is there any way to donate? Do you have a PayPal or something?

Layell

Durante, as much as people joke and beg every time a shitty PC port comes out we all really appreciate you taking the time to do the work you do.

Is there any way to donate? Do you have a PayPal or something?

He does provide a paypal to support GeDoSaTo!

edit: beaten

Zafir

Durante to the rescue! Thanks.

Looking forward to reading the article too.

I'd hope one day some of these devs start to realise people actually care about this stuff. I accepted Tecmo Koei's poor work when it was their first steam release (DW8), but it's just silly at this point.

Lutherian

Durante

The PS3 version is so much worse. Just take a look at the worldmap and don't even try to ride Narshe. Oh and lots of freezes on the world map. Yay, superior versoin (lol).

EDIT :
Sorry for my noobitude but how can I use GeDoSaTo with Symphonia ? It doesn't work at all for me (the game has been updated today).
Generally you should just install GeDoSaTo, run it, and then run the game. (By default, the game is set to render at 4k, so you might want to change that)

Seronei

The PS3 version is so much worse. Just take a look at the worldmap and don't even try to ride Narshe. Oh and lots of freezes on the world map. Yay, superior versoin (lol).

EDIT :
Sorry for my noobitude but how can I use GeDoSaTo with Symphonia ? It doesn't work at all for me (the game has been updated today).

I can't get it to work either.

Zafir

If it's not working, try setting in game res to 720p like he said in the blog post if you overlooked that maybe?

I already did that. It doesn't seem to be hooking to the game in my case.

I couldn't find Symphonia in the whitelist so I added it to that, but that didn't seem to work. (DRM maybe affecting it, I dunno if the exe it creates is a different name)

Durante

Fuck, I forgot the whitelist entry.

Edit:
Pushed, sorry about the Tecmo-tier QA there.

For those who donwloaded before the fix, just add this line to the whitelist:
Code:
sec*                         || Tales of Symphonia

Primus

Article is live!

Broken PC ports like Tales of Symphonia are unacceptable

EDIT: Whoof, the ether is strong.

So let’s recapitulate. Namco-Bandai cannot afford even the very minimal changes required to support arbitrary resolutions or superficially QA their product, but they can afford a completely ineffective DRM system. An ineffective DRM system for a game which people, if they were so inclined, have been able to pirate freely for over a decade.

kewlmyc

Durante fixed the locked resolution in 8-15 minutes? What a no effort port.

Thank you so much, Durante. The $20 this game would have cost me if I didn't get this as a pre-order bonus is going directly to you.

Damn shame that the widescreen mod Dolphin ToS is still the best version of the game due to all the spelling errors and framerate. Hell it even looks better.

elyetis

That DRM creating a new exe is outright hilarious. Somehow I doubt even Durante can fix this one.
Shouldn't be too hard in itself I guess. Once you have the install path it should be pretty easy to guess what file is the new exe, even with a new name.

Tizoc

"Actually, if you want to port Atelier and not fail just drop me an email!"- Durante, to KOEI Tecmo

I said goddamn.

Lutherian

I can't get it to work either.

Edit:

Code:

Ok, I'm trying it now :).... and now Symphonia doesn't run anymore (the game resolution was 720p.).

Article is live!

Broken PC ports like Tales of Symphonia are unacceptable

EDIT: Whoof, the ether is strong.

Wow, the "none" screenshot is from me ^^, glad to see it serves the cause ! And nice article !

Arthea

A very good article
Thanks again, Durante, for making our voice heard, I hope it will be this time.
in particular I'd like somebody at Koei Tecmo to read it too.

Whogie

This is pretty disappointing.

This DRM is pooping out a "TL" folder in the root of C:\
And the game won't launch for me with GeDoSaTo active.

Otherwise it's not giving me trouble running at 720p on my English-language Win 10 PC.

Seronei

Edit:

Code:

Works now, great job. Although it doesn't really agree with 16:10 from what I can see. I'll post some screenshots in half-time of this football match I'm watching.

Zafir

Nice. That's cleared up the game massively.

The only downside is I'm getting some rather weird frame drops at 4k. Dropping to early-mid 20s on the title screen and in game sometimes on my 970. :(

Will have to take a look later to see if I can find out why it's hating my PC so much. I find it hard to believe 4k on it is that intensive. :I

KainXVIII

Game just crashes when i trying to chose 4k resolution in main menu with Gedosato.
upd - set 720p from CustomConfig.conf as intended, but game run in small portion of screen..

tqP0cRl.png

Seronei

16:10 problems with GeDoSaTo. Not that big of a deal, but it cuts off the bottom in menus and skits. Might not all be unique to just 16:10 though.

The last one happens when you load a new map and it also happens when in-game cutscenes start.

Top Bottom