• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Symphonia PC-Port is a mess!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I love Durante and all but this should be something any engineer in the game industry should be able to do easily.

This is a case of BN being lazy, greedy shits and wanting to make a quick buck instead of doing any work.

Hylian7

I was wrong about the videos.

That was closer to 8 minutes than 15.

(By the way, if my tag gets changed again, the one wish I have is for it to have correct capitalization. That small "h" at the start combined with the period at the end has been driving me nuts since the last change)
Come on down to Durante's drive-through PC port fixes. 15 minutes or less. Yelp: ★★★★★ Qualifications: Fixed Souls, Deadly Premonition, Lightning Returns, Umihara Kawase, Symphonia, PhD, likes mamosas.

ROFL, mods moved fast on that.

I saw unedited tag :p
Come on down to Durante's drive-through PC port fixing service. Yelp: ★★★★★
Qualifications: Fixed Dark Souls, Deadly Premonition, Lightning Returns, Umihara Kawase, Tales of Symphonia, PhD, likes mamosas and long wa
We will never kn

kenta

Has no PEINS
Lol you should seriously consider selling your services to port teams. Minimum fee of 200 dollars plus 100 an hour after the first hour.
Durante's talent is worth way more than $200 dude. I suspect he knows what he's worth, though I can't help but wonder why he doesn't leverage it

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I love Durante and all but this should be something any engineer in the game industry should be able to do easily.

Yeah I think the key thing here, and this is not to say that Durante's isn't extremely talented (the TIS-100 leaderboards prove that), is that every game he chooses to fix are games that fundamentally shouldn't have been limited to begin with. They're quick fixes. They come from a place where developers seem to genuinely not know that people care about this stuff. There's something wrong in the feedback loop somewhere that the right people aren't getting the right information. That's why Durante wrote his previous article on what makes a good PC port. Not that publishers can't make good ones, it's that they don't even realize they should.

I saw unedited tag :p

We will never kn

"lks on beach"

Xenus

Durante's talent is worth way more than $200 dude. I suspect he knows what he's worth, though I can't help but wonder why he doesn't leverage it

Well yes but I was accounting for port teams being cheap which is the problem in the first place and it being side money not his full time job...

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Yeah I think the key thing here, and this is not to say that Durante's isn't extremely talented (the TIS-100 leaderboards prove that), is that every game he chooses to fix are games that fundamentally shouldn't have been limited to begin with. They're quick fixes. They come from a place where developers seem to genuinely not know that people care about this stuff. There's something wrong in the feedback loop somewhere that the right people aren't getting the right information. That's why Durante wrote his previous article on what makes a good PC port. Not that publishers can't make good ones, it's that they don't even realize they should.

"lks on beach"

Yeah one of my "welcome to the games industry" moments in 2006 was when I started working at EA on the 2007 version of Tiger Woods. I found a shitload of bugs, graphical errors, things that would crash the game and I would bring them up to engineers and producers and the answers I would get were

"Well, the same bug was there last year and we shipped the game with it, so its not worth fixing"

"I cant take one day to fix that because Im working on new features"

"It doesnt break the game so its not that important"

So yeah, it all comes down to precedent, budgeting, time and whether somebody with any power actually gives a shit or not. Its sad and disheartening, but it happens all the time.

Oceanwind

Neo Member
Wow, Bamco sure is lazy. I definitely won't be preordering Tales of Berseria if there's a chance it could turn out like this. At least the Zestiria port was good, but I still don't want to risk it.

Knurek

4- In fact call up Bamco, tell them you'll do this port for a respectable sum and then let them update the game with it :V

This.
Not sure how much an hour of programming work is in Austria, but I'd just tweet a scan of invoice in that amount to the Tales and Namco accounts if I were you.

Durante

I added arbitrary resolution and downsampling support: (previous fix was limited to multiples of 1280x720)
screenshot_2016-02-02yfujg.png

They come from a place where developers seem to genuinely not know that people care about this stuff. There's something wrong in the feedback loop somewhere that the right people aren't getting the right information. That's why Durante wrote his previous article on what makes a good PC port. Not that publishers can't make good ones, it's that they don't even realize they should.
Well said.

The new article will say the same thing. With more emphasis and, admittedly, less goodwill.

Arthea

I was wrong about the videos.

That was closer to 8 minutes than 15.

(By the way, if my tag gets changed again, the one wish I have is for it to have correct capitalization. That small "h" at the start combined with the period at the end has been driving me nuts since the last change)

congratulations on that new tag, looks hot, cool, no, hot

This is a case of BN being lazy, greedy shits and wanting to make a quick buck instead of doing any work.

This isn't lazy. This isn't greedy. This is sabotage. I mean it.

Levyne

Banned
I kinda want this port now if it's going to have a specific gedosato plug in, hehe, that looks really good.

Dr Dogg

I added arbitrary resolution and downsampling support: (previous fix was limited to multiples of 1280x720)
http://abload.de/img/screenshot_2016-02-02yfujg.png[IMG]

Well said.

The new article will say the same thing. With more emphasis and, admittedly, less goodwill.[/QUOTE]

That plugin comment!

Durante's tag should lead to a PayPal donation page

Thanks for working on this even though you don't really care about the game!

Flandy

screenshot_2016-02-02yfujg.png

Well said.

The new article will say the same thing. With more emphasis and, admittedly, less goodwill.

Maybe someone should translate it to Japanese so it can finally get to Japan

damn... one of those cases where the emulated version is still superior to the official PC port- hope the same doesn't happen for Disgaea

Quenk

Well said.

Thank you, Durante.

Also, mamosa/mimosa?

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Mods have been in cahoots with Bamco all along. I bet the NeoGAF mod team is responsible for the port. It all adds up, their willingness to pimp out Durante's tag is just to throw away any suspicion!

Mods have been in cahoots with Bamco all along. I bet the NeoGAF mod team is responsible for the port. It all adds up, their willingness to pimp out Durante's tag is just to throw away any suspicion!

Not a willingness to throw suspicion, but rather a reason to change tags when their bored.

It is almost surreal to me just how bad of a port this turned out to. It's like they genuinely did not care about the state of this game upon release, or they even put forth effort to make it this bad. I've never seen something this ridiculous.

I mean, I've seen a lot of bad ports, but God Damn.

Top Bottom