• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The trademark for The Last Guardian has been abandoned (e.g. dead)

JayEH

3718509-1184333539-metal.gif

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
If it was cancelled why would they keep saying over and over again that it's still in development? They wouldn't lie about something like that, it wouldn't make any sense.

If it was still alive wouldn't they give us something? A logo? A screenshot? Anything.

The director of the game has even said that he has nothing to do with it anymore. Game directors don't just leave projects in the middle of development.

Dr.Acula

Banned
It's been ten years since Shadow of the Colossus.

Even if this game somehow ever came out, I don't think it would be reasonable to expect it to not be terrible after all the hell it's been through.

If it's a game like Duke Nuke'Em, yeah, that's just a "shooter with attitude."

But if TLG has unique gameplay, it doesn't matter when it comes out. What out there is like SotC? Couldn't that game come out today? It's still unique in its mechanics and aesthetics. If Portal comes out today for the first time, it's still unique. Tetris still becomes a hit, the way 2048 recently became a minor phenomenon.

If TLG comes out and it's unique, it's great no matter what.

If it's a game like Duke Nuke'Em, yeah, that's just a "shooter with attitude."

But if TLG has unique gameplay, it doesn't matter when it comes out. What out there is like SotC? Couldn't that game come out today? It's still unique in its mechanics and aesthetics. If Portal comes out today for the first time, it's still unique. Tetris still becomes a hit, the way 2048 recently became a minor phenomenon.

If TLG comes out and it's unique, it's great no matter what.
I don't think the point was "the gameplay will be outdated". The point was that the game will be a mangled Frankenstein's monster created by a dozen or so people with completely different visions or had to be repeatedly amputed and reconstructed in order to release.

Usually anything that's been in development hell tends to be not great when it finally comes out. Indy 5, Duke Nukem Forever, etc. It's even worse when the creators change.

Commodore

This basically means we can spend the next year speculating what the game's new title is. Without the title The Last Guardian, we can't track it anymore via trademark. So now they're going deep undercover for its eventual reintroduction out of nowhere here on GAF one hour after this years E3 was another TLG no show.

This is like the 6th time we've all sworn this thing is dead.

Then it comes forth from the ashes to rise like the Phoenix!

falling_bird2.jpg

A phoenix of epic disappointment of course!

Dunno if anyone else was already incredibly pedantic, but the thread title uses "e.g." incorrectly. "I.e." would be more appropriate.

Haunted

Shame about Ueda and the team. Hope everyone landed on their feet and was sent to work on other projects.

Aside from the 2-3 people still "working" on it, investigating what can be salvaged and how to package this up so Sony doesn't lose the IP, of course.

Elfstruck

Shame about Ueda and the team. Hope everyone landed on their feet and was sent to work on other projects.

Aside from the 2-3 people still "working" on it, investigating what can be salvaged and how to package this up so Sony doesn't lose the IP, of course.

So there is a confirmation that Ueda and his team is no working on TLG? Or am i missing something here?

Why can't sony just go out say what the situation is about this game. I don't demand details but something like this, this game will not release anytime soon, we are recreating it or the game has been dead for long time . I don't think it is fair to us Team ico fans, we eagerly await for news every year, month and day yet nothing comes along expect news of the games cancelation. At this point I would not even be mad if they said they have canceled it, I would be sad but reliefed so I can put this game to rest. My god SHUUUUU just tell how it is I can't take it anymore.

Top Bottom