• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge compares PS4/XB1 games (that nasty, awful XB1 sharpening filter at work)

I still ask about making concessions so they don't have to use that filter. So getting to 1080p with compromises.

They don't have to use the filter though as BF4 shows. This is a terrible decision not required by the hardware/resolution compromises that they need to eliminate.

fred

One of the main reasons why I'm getting a PS4 over a One next year. Another reason is Microsoft's piss poor 'free' games collection with Live. Halo 3 and Gears Of War 1 are reallyttaking the piss compared to the games Sony are giving away with PlayStation Plus. They might as well not bother if that's the best they can do. :eek:/

One of the main reasons why I'm getting a PS4 over a One next year. Another reason is Microsoft's piss poor 'free' games collection with Live. Halo 3 and Gears Of War 1 are reallyttaking the piss compared to the games Sony are giving away with PlayStation Plus. They might as well not bother if that's the best they can do. :eek:/

You keep the games MS give you where you rent the ps plus games,i rather keep them honestly.

ShapeGSX

I've been playing ACIV on my Xbox One and it looks awesome. It plays great, too. Love the fact that all the menus load instantly.

Chobel

@wizzbang Read this
PS4 owners, do you prefer a natural image that isn't artificially sharpened? Well here you go.
PS4 owners, do you prefer too much sharpening, crushed blacks. Well just put your TV in vivid mode.
Xbox owners, do you prefer too much sharpening and crushed blacks? Good, good
Xbox owners, do you prefer a natural image that isn't artificially sharpened? Tough shit.

Remember, for those saying the filter can be disabled, it's not a setting games choose to use. You need to set the Xbone to 720p, then you don't get the scaler. Problem is, for 1080p games you then have to set it back. So it's a bit of a pain. But yowza that's dark.

It's personal preference, there's no science to this. One has nicer colours, the other one has an obviously sharper image. Depends on what people care about, how far they sit from the TV, the quality of the TV - all kinds of shit.

Does this mean the Xbox would be WORSE at a higher res? Fuck no, of course not.

You see more detail with higher resolution, it also reduces blurriness and makes the image more crisp. The xbone image isn't sharper, it just has higher contrast which is something you can have your TV do if you like to hide details by making them all dark. You seem to be using buzzwords that don't actually mean how you're using them. I hope you don't play PC games because they must all look like complete shit to you.

hawk2025

Played a fair amount of both games on XBone. I definitely noticed the sharpening while playing COD, the game looks like ass overall, but I haven't noticed over-sharpening in AC4, I think the game looks fantastic and runs great, looks impressive.

IGN put up a comparison video of AC4 among Xbone and PS4 and they were virtually identical. Not sure I trust all the sources putting out this info. I believe there is a sharpening filter at work, but I don't think it has such a dramatic effect as some of these screenshots would have one believe.

But you trust IGN after everything?

Are you kidding me?

Wasp

True, but you're comparing a rental service with yours to own forever service.

Remember, for those saying the filter can be disabled, it's not a setting games choose to use. You need to set the Xbone to 720p, then you don't get the scaler. Problem is, for 1080p games you then have to set it back. So it's a bit of a pain. But yowza that's dark.

The OP and examples given in the thread show that BF4 doesn't use it so it doesn't seem to be forced upon the developers. People should really try to hammer on Microsoft to get rid of it or make it an option. Especially for games like Dead Rising 3 that are in 720P but feature 1080P UIs. Don't want to choose between sharpening or blurry UIs.

wizzbang

Banned
When you upscale an image you lose detail.

Man it's fucking hard to explain this shit, every god damn fucking resolution thread, the same old thing.

http://images.eurogamer.net/articles//a/1/3/9/4/1/8/7/1080p_000.bmp.jpg <- 1080p looks like garbage.
http://img15.nnm.me/2/4/a/d/5/8f1c6ba10a3bb20209de983951e.jpg <- 720p looks much much better.

My point is the textures, the models, the lighting, the particle effects all the crazy shit which makes a world more detailed, that's ALL I care about.
I do not care about crispness (as long as it's reasonable)

If we're talking about identical games? As I said earlier, obviously I would prefer a higher resolution but NEVER at the expense of world detail / all the other shit.

You see more detail with higher resolution, it also reduces blurriness and makes the image more crisp. The xbone image isn't sharper, it just has higher contrast which is something you can have your TV do if you like to hide details by making them all dark. You seem to be using buzzwords that don't actually mean how you're using them. I hope you don't play PC games because they must all look like complete shit to you.

No, you just don't understand what I mean by detail, and this fucking stupid semantics argument happens every resolution thread.
WORLD detail, texture resolution, literal polygon count, lighting shader quality / quantity
See my 2 pics above.

Detail doesn't always mean resolution, I'm talking aobut the overall content of the image, not the resolution it's rendered at.

No, you just don't understand what I mean by detail, and this fucking stupid semantics argument happens every resolution thread.
WORLD detail, texture resolution, literal polygon count, lighting shader quality / quantity
See my 2 pics above.

Detail doesn't always mean resolution, I'm talking aobut the overall content of the image, not the resolution it's rendered at.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
UESRfNv.png

hawk2025

Calling PS+ a rental service is so disingenous.

Especially coming from people that will pay for Xbox Live throughout the generation.

Man it's fucking hard to explain this shit, every god damn fucking resolution thread, the same old thing.

http://images.eurogamer.net/articles//a/1/3/9/4/1/8/7/1080p_000.bmp.jpg <- 1080p looks like garbage.
http://img15.nnm.me/2/4/a/d/5/8f1c6ba10a3bb20209de983951e.jpg <- 720p looks much much better.

My point is the textures, the models, the lighting, the particle effects all the crazy shit which makes a world more detailed, that's ALL I care about.

If we're talking about identical games? As I said earlier, obviously I would prefer a higher resolution but NEVER at the expense of world detail / all the other shit.

See my 2 pics above.

Both games have the same textures and effects, what are you even talking about? Are you trying to argue 720p is more detailed than 1080p when both have the same assets? Also your first link doesn't work.

This is a thread about identical games. All of this "but at a lower resolution!" talk is completely irrelevant.

Qassim

You keep the games MS give you where you rent the ps plus games,i rather keep them honestly.

I'd rather 'rent' and play something newer, rather than get to keep very old games that I've probably already played or had the chance to pick up at an extremely low cost anyway.

I can understand them putting a sharpener in(though I don't like it), but why is it so damn abrasive? It's like they just set it to 100 and forgot what the hell tact meant.

Haines

Banned
NOTE: You can disable this filter by forcing your XB1 to always output at 720p.

Should I be doing this on my Xbone?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Yea but i'll take Halo 3 over Halo 4,etc They may be old but they are great games.

Great games that many of the 360 users have owned or played in the past. That is one of the best things about PS+, some recent-ish games that were not as popular out there but still great along with a few real amazing gems in there.

Chobel

In PS4 they didn't mess with anything, they just increased the resolution (and maybe added other effects). There's no loss in details compared to Xbox One. What you think as higher details is just an filter applied by Xbox One to make the colors pop, you can do the same thing with PS4, just mess with contrast and sharpness options in your TV.

trixx

Is it just me or does the xbox 360 version of ghost look better. If not the difference is very small and definitely not worth the $500 upgrade

edit: actually no the xbox one looks better but damn

Salex_

You should probably take a look at the last 5 months of XBL Games for Gold and compare it to PS+...

When they give you 2 games per month and they're 2006-2008 indie titles or 2006-2009 retail games I have to ask myself, is it really worth it?
Take a look at the games

I had XBL Gold when the program started and it's just terrible compared to PS+. It's not making me go "Oh, this is nice. I'll definitely re-sub next year to keep it up." I switched from 360>PS4 and I have no reason to keep the sub. If I switched from PS3>Xbone I would have a reason.

Chobel

What misunderstanding? You keep talking about texture details and effects when both games have the exact same assets.

He thinks that PS4 has the higher resolution because Ubi sacrificed texture/world details in PS4 version. (Which is not true of course)

hwateber

I can't deny the jaggies are definitely more obvious in the first, darker shot - but the colours / contrast are (yet again) nicer.
Actually switching back and forth between the 2 shots and looking at the whole damn image, rather than focusing on a good jaggie point? Nope prefer the darker shot (First one)
Can see a bit more detail in a few things too.

or wait, am I agreeing with you and you are saying the first one is better?
I came in here expecting my eyes to hurt but now my brain hurts. You're not seeing more detail with the filter on. You're seeing less

wizzbang

Banned
This is a thread about identical games. All of this "but at a lower resolution!" talk is completely irrelevant.

You're absoloutely correct, I apologise I am kind of taking the thread off topic.
My point is really, I'd be happy to see even the PS4 version at a lower resolution and with even more detail.
This incessant whining the last 12 weeks over resolution has driven me batty.

*I'm definitely not saying the Xbox picture is superior because it's lower resolution, that's not my point, that's dumb.
*I'm not saying the Xbox picture is superior due to better assets (that would be completely untrue, they are the same)
*What I am saying is, the resolution difference, to my eyes, is mostly insignificant, compared to the nicer colours I see on the Xbox and how things stand out (note the chest on map radar in the lower corner for example)
Do I think the PS4 shot looks "bad" ? Fuck no, of course not! both are quite nice shots.

I came in here expecting my eyes to hurt but now my brain hurts. You're not seeing more detail with the filter on. You're seeing less

Ok but the picture is nicer to my eyes, (for AC4 that is, Ghosts is an obvious abortion, clearly inferior in all ways)

He thinks that PS4 has the higher resolution because Ubi sacrificed texture/world details in PS4 version. (Which is not true of course)

Not my point or what I believe, sorry. No.

ItIsOkBro

It doesn't look better in a single way. What are you smoking?

Edit: I will give you there's a bit more aliasing on the wire of the tower as there's more detail.

No, I was thinking FM4 looks better than FM5 in that shot as well...

I think it's a combination of:
All the shadows in FM4 while FM5 seemingly has none
The tarmac being more detailed in FM4
And the mountain background in FM5 being shrouded in mist

that makes the FM4 shot look better.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
They don't have to use the filter though as BF4 shows. This is a terrible decision not required by the hardware/resolution compromises that they need to eliminate.
I agree. Or there's still making concessions to get there but I don't know if devs want to do that.

I'd just rather have a better selection. Plus strikes a good balance with that and sales. Plus the games they offer are icing and some which I would never buy but at a great sale price.

hawk2025

You're absoloutely correct, I apologise I am kind of taking the thread off topic.
My point is really, I'd be happy to see even the PS4 version at a lower resolution and with even more detail.
This incessant whining the last 12 weeks over resolution has driven me batty.

*I'm definitely not saying the Xbox picture is superior because it's lower resolution, that's not my point, that's dumb.
*I'm not saying the Xbox picture is superior due to better assets (that would be completely untrue, they are the same)
*What I am saying is, the resolution difference, to my eyes, is mostly insignificant, compared to the nicer colours I see on the Xbox and how things stand out (note the chest on map radar in the lower corner for example)
Do I think the PS4 shot looks "bad" ? Fuck no, of course not! both are quite nice shots.

Ok but the picture is nicer to my eyes, (for AC4 that is, Ghosts is an obvious abortion, clearly inferior in all ways)

You keep ignoring the fact that you CAN replicate the Xbox image on the PS4 by completely ruining the image.

How does this not get through to you?

Arkanius

Mother of god Microsoft
Drop the sharpen filter and fix your RGB Full settings
That shit is attrocious.

What is even more attrocious is that this is INTENTIONAL and there are people saying it looks great

Top Bottom